Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Is It Hockey Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Hits are also counted differently from building to building and are thus completely unreliable. There's also no clear definition of what constitutes a hit. Junk stat, top to bottom.

I think there's some skill in shot blocking, but I don't consider it to be a super good indicator of defensive skill for a winger, who would mostly be covering point shots.

Purcell is no Selke winner in waiting, that's for sure, but these stats don't show that, nor is it necessarily his role.

Yeah exactly. Hit's is a ridiculous stat.

Lots of shots blocked generally means you are giving up lots of shots against.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Blocking shots is only really preferable if you're on the penalty kill or as a last resort. If you're doing it all the time you're probably not a very good player.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
With hits stats... it's pretty easy to see by watching players play... who the actual physical/gritty players are on a team.

Hits aren't voodoo.. you can see just simply by watching who is laying the body out there game after game.

I'm sure there are biases and inconsistencies across the league in how hits/blocks/giveaways/takeways are recorded but on a relative basis by looking at which players hit the most on each team... you'll get a solid idea of who the most physical players are. All players on one team are going to face the same biases and inconsistencies throughout the season.

As to the Hamilton deal and whether Boston is petty enough to avoid another deal with the Oilers... they certainly are because that trade with Calgary was a farce. Even taking the Flames and Oilers out of the picture... I'm absolutely certain that one of the other 27 teams in the league could have put up a better package than what Calgary gave the Bruins. Apparently some GM's really didn't even know Hamilton was on the market when the deal went down so how can anyone think that the Bruins got full value in the trade.

There was obviously spite and pettiness involved to send a future potential #1 dman to the Oilers nearest rivals while basically ignoring any other possible better offers.

I know some people say these GM's are professionals and pettiness and spite doesn't play into their decisions... but obviously they are human and not robots and sometimes their personalities and character traits DO influence their decision making and how they deal with other GM's... we don't have to look any further than the Lowe/Burke feud to realize that.

I still say Sather did the Oilers a good turn as well in the Talbot deal... somewhat of a makeup deal after Sweeney/Neely **** on the Oilers.

Yes it does sound a bit too much like high school kids bickering and taunting in the halls... but there's a small circle of NHL GM's and they all have their individual eccentricities and weaknesses/strengths and I have no doubt there are certain cliques within the ownership/management groups where some simply are easier to deal with than others.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
As to the Hamilton deal and whether Boston is petty enough to avoid another deal with the Oilers... they certainly are because that trade with Calgary was a farce. Even taking the Flames and Oilers out of the picture... I'm absolutely certain that one of the other 27 teams in the league could have put up a better package than what Calgary gave the Bruins. Apparently some GM's really didn't even know Hamilton was on the market when the deal went down so how can anyone think that the Bruins got full value in the trade.

There was obviously spite and pettiness involved to send a future potential #1 dman to the Oilers nearest rivals while basically ignoring any other possible better offers.

I still say Sather did the Oilers a good turn as well in the Talbot deal... somewhat of a makeup deal after Sweeney/Neely **** on the Oilers.

Yes it does sound a bit too much like high school kids bickering and taunting in the halls... but there's a small circle of NHL GM's and they all have their individual eccentricities and weaknesses/strengths and I have no doubt there are certain cliques within the ownership/management groups where some simply are easier to deal with than others.

Agreed. And many are not as professional as they think they are. Neely, Lowe.. usually ex-players, are proving to be too emotional for the top job. they are the reason that lawyers and agents are starting to take over, and the ex-players are becoming more figureheads, or consultants.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I still say signing Glencross would/would've been a good move at a low price. I would think he'd jump at a guaranteed contract vs. some try out.

Glencross Lander Purcell
Hendricks Letestu Gazdic/Klink

Is a OK bottom six.

Glencross - Lander - Korpikoski
Hendricks - Letestu - Klinkhammer
Purcell

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't know what Chiarelli has to do with it. He was very willing to trade with Boston and their MacT/Lowe got pigheaded about it.

That's not what was suggested. The poster says, as usual, that Chiarelli wouldn't trade with Sweeney because he's pissed about being snubbed in the Hamilton deal.

And if you believe Sweeney wouldn't make another trade, the player mentioned was Scrivens. You think Sweeney not trading with Edmonton was independent of the fact that the player was Hamilton?

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Agreed. And many are not as professional as they think they are. Neely, Lowe.. usually ex-players, are proving to be too emotional for the top job. they are the reason that lawyers and agents are starting to take over, and the ex-players are becoming more figureheads, or consultants.
It's been my opinion for a while that player dev., coaching and scouting is where ex players should be involved, gm is too much of a switch to be upstairs all the time, I don't think they're very good at distancing themselves. Yzerman and others are obviously the exception.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
It's been my opinion for a while that player dev., coaching and scouting is where ex players should be involved, gm is too much of a switch to be upstairs all the time, I don't think they're very good at distancing themselves. Yzerman and others are obviously the exception.

Pretty sure less than 10 NHL GMs never played pro hockey

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's not what was suggested. The poster says, as usual, that Chiarelli wouldn't trade with Sweeney because he's pissed about being snubbed in the Hamilton deal.

And if you believe Sweeney wouldn't make another trade, the player mentioned was Scrivens. You think Sweeney not trading with Edmonton was independent of the fact that the player was Hamilton?

Pretty sure the poster meant to suggest that there won't be any trades between Boston and Edmonton because Neely is petty.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I meant for next season. I don't want them to resign Purcell.

I think Chiarelli is smart enough to know that we have enough soft skilled players in the top 9. If Purcell has a solid contract year I wouldn't mind seeing him shipped off even if we're in playoff contention.. Much like when Bob Murray traded Penner.. He's easily replaceable and could have good trade deadline value.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
How I would solve the D if I became GM.. Still a very young defence but I think Nurse will blow us away. I believe each line would be capable enough defensively, and Nurse will make up for his defensive deficiencies with superb board play and puck retrieval.

Sell off Nikitin for 30% retained for 6th if not then bury him.
Sign Franson to 3.75-4.25mill for two years
Trade Schultz, if Franson signs, to the East for something that equals 1st rounder in value(2nd/3rd plus RW prospect that can one-time)

Hall - McDavid - Eberle
Pouliet - RNH - Yakupov
Purcell - Lander - Draisatl
Someone hot and sexy - Korpi - Hendricks

Sekera Franson
Klefbom Nurse
Reinhart Gryba
Ference

Talbot
Scrivens

We have lots of trading chips if the D doesn't work out early in the season. Could move picks and Reinhart for a good journeyman, or Picks and Purcell for a veteran to replace a bad Nurse

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
How I would solve the D if I became GM.. Still a very young defence but I think Nurse will blow us away. I believe each line would be capable enough defensively, and Nurse will make up for his defensive deficiencies with superb board play and puck retrieval.

Trade Schultz, if Franson signs, to the East for something that equals 1st rounder in value(2nd/3rd plus RW prospect that can one-time)

Hall - McDavid - Eberle
Pouliet - RNH - Yakupov

Sekera Franson
Klefbom Nurse
Reinhart Gryba
Ference

Talbot
Scrivens

We have lots of trading chips if the D doesn't work out early in the season. Could move picks and Reinhart for a good journeyman, or Picks and Purcell for a veteran to replace a bad Nurse
So many points of contention here. Why trade Reinhart, he is cheap and has lots of potential. Franson isn't a solution to any franchises D line. It isn't necessary to find a 4th line LW. You slot Nurse in the top 4 and then replace him by trading for ???. Korpi isn't a 4th line centre. Schultz could potentially still lead the Oilers blue line in scoring and you are quick to ship him out. Nikitin we agree on.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
So many points of contention here. Why trade Reinhart, he is cheap and has lots of potential. Franson isn't a solution to any franchises D line. It isn't necessary to find a 4th line LW. You slot Nurse in the top 4 and then replace him by trading for ???. Korpi isn't a 4th line centre. Schultz could potentially still lead the Oilers blue line in scoring and you are quick to ship him out. Nikitin we agree on.

Thank goodness for Nikitin, eh? Gives Oiler fans alike common ground to agree that he isn't good and is severely overpaid.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie

Hall - McDavid - Eberle
Pouliet - RNH - Yakupov

Sekera Franson
Klefbom Nurse
Reinhart Gryba
Ference

Talbot
Scrivens

Where do Fayne and Letestu slot in? Press box?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Bored.

Do you think the team is better off starting the year with nurse/reinhart/both on the team?

Do you think nurse/reinhart are better off in the ahl?

Is the team better off winning at all costs this year vs next year?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bored.

Do you think the team is better off starting the year with nurse/reinhart/both on the team?

Do you think nurse/reinhart are better off in the ahl?

Is the team better off winning at all costs this year vs next year?

If they are both ready and are better than Ference and Nikitin then by all means play them in the NHL. Let them get their feet wet so that they aren't thrown to the wolves in the middle of a playoff race.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
If they are both ready and are better than Ference and Nikitin then by all means play them in the NHL. Let them get their feet wet so that they aren't thrown to the wolves in the middle of a playoff race.

I agree.
If they show at training camp, and pre-season that they are ready and able, the deserve to be on the opening night roster.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
On the hits stats thing.

People don't even understand why hitting is a stat half the time.

It serves 2 main purposes. To either wear down an opponent as the game goes on or to hold up/put someone out of position.

Lots of people crapped on Arco because he got lots of hits but supposedly they did nothing cause he was so small.

Arco was a great hitter, maybe not so much in the wearing down aspect but every time he hit someone they were out of the play for far longer than he was. He would pin someone against the boards bounce back and hustle back down the ice towards the play. Creating space and odd man situations. It allowed him to race back and pressure the puck carrier before the person hit could get back to the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->