Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Chris Johnston: "SJS & EDM have re-engaged on Erik Karlsson trade discussions"

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

What the Flying f***. Go f*** yourself Calgary you f***ing used up f***s
It is not their fault. Everytime they think the have a good team the Oiler break them. all their confidence is gone,

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Nurse is tied for 5th in even strength scoring. Below average, LOL.

You notice how I said as a fivesome, in otherwards those 5 on average?

Nurse is obviously the shining star of that little cluster, but he's not going to single handedly carry the offense from the D if Karlsson were to be injured (which has occurred pretty often).

Even with Karlsson healthy it might be a supernova of offense from the top pair and hardly a drop from the other 2 pairs.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Man it would be beautiful watching McDavid pass the puck back on the Cycle to Karlsson instead of Ceci who he has to 90% of the time because Nurse and Ceci are on with him a majority of the time, just to watch Ceci shoot a muffin wide or have it blocked or to watch him just shovel it back up the boards and turn it over

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
So Bouchard, Barrie, JP, Foegele, and a second rounder for Karlsson?

Nurse, Karlsson
Kulak Ceci
Roberg VD
Ryan Murray

Ok. The only piece that is hard to part with is Bouchard.

I have a hard time thinking that the Oilers get EK without giving up a first rounder.
Am going off the rumour that the reported ask of 3 1sts isn't the reality and that the Sharks aren't really in a position to ask for a ton. Getting Bouchard and in this scenario Fabbro would be pretty significant. Compare to Burns who was literally given away

Reactions: gordonhught

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
The ask for Karlsson is too much based on the following:
1. He's been a negative asset for 3 of the last 4 years.
2. He's injury prone.
3. He's older.
4. He's overpaid based on the the past 4 years.

Shouldn't have to pay for retention for the first $2.5M because he is overpaid. If you were negotiating for Nurse, you would tell Holland that I'm not paying for the first $1.25M of retention, because it's not my fault for you overpaid him by that much. Same should apply for Karlsson, picks for retention should start at <$9M.

The risk involved means that they would have to take several if not all of the crap contracts in return. Yamo, Foegele, PJ and perhaps Barrie (if another taker is not available). Or...they max retain.

Reactions: Barrsy

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Also, Kravtsov requested a trade from the Rangers for what seems like the fiftieth time, almost as many trade requests as Jesse. Would anyone else here do a Poolparty for Kravtsov trade just for shits and giggles? At least he's a year and a half younger.

I don’t think it works cap wise for the Rangers

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Nurse - Karlsson
Kulak - Ceci
Broberg - Bouchard
Desharnais

Everyone is slotted in the proper place except maybe Kulak. And even then, Broberg is emerging and Bouchard is no slouch.

You don't trade both Bouchard AND Barrie. I'll keep repeating it as long as I need to.

If the Sharks want to get out from the contract that badly, they can take other futures.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Maybe throw out some fairy dust and bang we will get Karlsson.
Not happening, we cannot fit him in.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Am going off the rumour that the reported ask of 3 1sts isn't the reality and that the Sharks aren't really in a position to ask for a ton. Getting Bouchard and in this scenario Fabbro would be pretty significant. Compare to Burns who was literally given away
That's right, San Jose retained 2.72M for three years on Brent Burns for essentially dick all from Carolina. Eetu Mäkiniemi isn't exactly turning heads with a .900 save percentage in the AHL this season and he was the only piece San Jose received of value in that trade.

This is why Canadian teams don't win in Bettman's NHL.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Our OFD move the puck fine in the O zone but it’s like their brains break in the d zone sometimes.
I would even argue that they don't; not in comparison to a really good ofd. On the pp maybe, barrie/bouch can man the top of the umbrella and give a lateral pass to mcd or drai on the halfwall, but that's pretty much the extent of it. 5 on 5, it's non-existant because, in order to hit a seam pass back door or do something more creative, you need to walk the blueline or beat a fwd under pressure, which they can't do because they are too slow and dumb.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
A D-man doesn’t get 470 points in 737 games if he doesn’t have the ability to move the puck.

You’re right- he is the best puck mover that ever lived. He’s racked up all those 5v5 and has always owned all the puck possession metrics. I sure was wrong

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I’m curious how much you’d pay for Karlsson / what your thoughts are on all this. You seem like a very “build through the draft and prospects” type of guy so I’d assume you’re not on board?
The reason you build a farm system to begin with is to give your franchise these types of gamechanging options. And honestly I can see the argument that a top pairing RD might just be what the Oilers need long-term. If it's Karlsson, cool.

But I can't give you a straight answer as to what I'd offer for Erik Karlsson because I don't have a good idea of what the player has left in the tank, what the Sharks are willing to retain or what they're willing to take back in terms of offsetting salary.

A trade of that magnitude is incredibly complicated and would ultimately send shockwaves throughout the roster. Which is the main reason why I find it difficult to see it occurring in-season. But planting those seeds early will give the Oilers plenty of options come the offseason where teams generally decide to change direction. I've alluded to these trades before, which were smaller scale, but there was no chance that Chicago was giving you Kirby Dach at the deadline last season.

If we're showing that we're willing to part with a young, cost controlled player like an Evan Bouchard, or we're willing to listen on our top prospects because we've identified a player we want, maybe a name like Colton Parayko becomes a reality. Or Aaron Ekblad. A package of that magnitude can kick-start a rebuild or completely change the direction a team is trending.

The most important thing that I can say is that if you're making that level of an investment, you need to be getting exactly what you need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad