Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Under Sell and Over Deliver or Stuck in First Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don’t see why they trade for Seth Jones and why he extends here (maybe they protect Caleb and that helps), but okay
Because Jones is a high end defenseman at the same age as Nurse but a RHD. He'd used to playing minutes like Nurse does and, if extended, could be expected to be basically a the towers of power on the blueline for the next 8 years.

Why would he sign here? Not entirely sure, he might see the talent he gets to play with, he might want to play with his brother.

He wants out of Columbus because they're headed in the wrong direction and partial because he wants to get paid. If he just wants to get paid, the Oilers can do that, but it's not ideal. If it's to come to a better place with a team on the rise (struggles or no) this is a team on the rise.

Edit: Seth Jones has never played with forwards of the level of Leon Draisaitl, let alone McDavid too.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

5GlB.gif

Put me down for Philly.

Reactions: oobga

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think they pay Barrie a boat load.
I can't see why they would. They saw Ghost clear waivers earlier in the year. They aren't really hurting for offense from the blueline with Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim and York on hand.

They're a far likelier destination for Jones or Hamilton than Edmonton. Better trade pieces to boot.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I can't see why they would. They saw Ghost clear waivers earlier in the year. They aren't really hurting for offense from the blueline with Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim and York on hand.

They're a far likelier destination for Jones or Hamilton than Edmonton. Better trade pieces to boot.
They signed and tried Erik Gustafsson before this. They don't like what Ghost is as a player anymore, but they're still desperate for offense from their blueline. Barrie is the leading scorer from last year and a veteran who can play in their top-4, so I could really see them paying him. Money is cheaper then assets for the Flyers.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yeah Stauffer rightfully shut the Jones rumours down. We aren't paying big for a guy who is a guaranteed rental.

If we want to run a back end of two #1 dmen, Hamilton is the target. That said, I see him trying to play somewhere Northeast.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
If that ever happened, and it won’t, Bear would be traded immediately. Larsson would be the right side PK guy, Bouchard the ELC power play cannon.
You're probably moving one of Bear or Bouchard for Jones, though probably Bear.
which is why paying assets to acquire him make little sense

these "odd-makers" are clearly going with the "he's gonna play with his brother" angle

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
which is why paying assets to acquire him make little sense

these "odd-makers" are clearly going with the "he's gonna play with his brother" angle
What are you even talking about? Jones is a vastly better NHL player then Bear. Losing Bear isn't ideal or the plan, but the upgrade is worth the cost.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I think they pay Barrie a boat load.

Philly? No way. They need defenders who can defend. Losing Niskanen exposed that, and that idiot Fletch tried to fill that hole w Gustaffson. No way no how does Philly go for Barrie......but who knows w Fletch

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think you can run with the defense as it is. I don't think our defense is really the problem.

Our wings are atrocious though. Don't get me wrong, I love Puljujarvi... but the fact that he's our best winger is pretty sad. I'm pretty sure we have the worst collective group of wingers in the league.

I feel like that #2 left D spot should be a priority. They can't go into next season with Russell or Jones playing those minutes or relying on a miraculous return of Klefbom.

There really isn't another spot that needs filling that will have more of an impact than the ~20 minutes played by whoever ends up there. Improving the team when McDrai aren't on the ice starts there, IMO.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Philly? No way. They need defenders who can defend. Losing Niskanen exposed that, and that idiot Fletch tried to fill that hole w Gustaffson. No way no how does Philly go for Barrie......but who knows w Fletch
Maybe, I still see them having Barrie at the top of their list of UFAs.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I really think the team needs to add some good wingers in the offseason. Guys who have a track records but arent on the verge of being washed up. Two top 6 wingers and 3 if they lose RNH. I think its the biggest priority.

Need a legit 3C. Cant be a reclamation project.

I think the team is going to have to run Bear/Larsson/Bouchard on the right side and see how they do. Make a trade at the deadline if need be.

I think its a mistake to run Smith and Koskinen as a tandem. If they cant get rid of Koskinen at a reasonable price than they might be better off going with them again and picking up another goalie at the deadline and trading Koskinen (since his contract will be pretty much over at that point) and it should be easier to get rid of. But thats a risky proposition as dysfunctional goaltending can sink a team.

And lastly on LD. They need to know what the status of Klefbom is. Is he coming back or is he not?. If hes not coming back, they need to find a legit top 4 dman to replace him. Jones, Lagesson, Russell etc isnt going to cut it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I really think the team needs to add some good wingers in the offseason. Guys who have a track records but arent on the verge of being washed up. Two top 6 wingers and 3 if they lose RNH. I think its the biggest priority.

Need a legit 3C. Cant be a reclamation project.

I think the team is going to have to run Bear/Larsson/Bouchard on the right side and see how they do. Make a trade at the deadline if need be.

I think its a mistake to run Smith and Koskinen as a tandem. If they cant get rid of Koskinen at a reasonable price than they might be better off going with them again and picking up another goalie at the deadline and trading Koskinen (since his contract will be pretty much over at that point) and it should be easier to get rid of. But thats a risky proposition as dysfunctional goaltending can sink a team.

And lastly on LD. They need to know what the status of Klefbom is. Is he coming back or is he not?. If hes not coming back, they need to find a legit top 4 dman to replace him. Jones, Lagesson, Russell etc isnt going to cut it.

I don't know if they can even rely on Klefbom for that #2LD spot if he's ready to go. He's missed a lot of time. You have to think there's going to be some serious rust.

I'd love to get a legit top4 guy on a short term deal like a Ben Chiarot to play the heavy minutes with Larsson and then break Klefbom back in on the third pairing with Bouchard and toss them out there in offensive situations.

Reactions: FlameChampion

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't know if they can even rely on Klefbom for that #2LD spot if he's ready to go. He's missed a lot of time. You have to think there's going to be some serious rust.

I'd love to get a legit top4 guy on a short term deal like a Ben Chiarot to play the heavy minutes with Larsson and then break Klefbom back in on the third pairing with Bouchard and toss them out there in offensive situations.

I'd like to see them target a guy like Martinez but not sure the term will be short enough. But someone like Chiarot would work too.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Klefbom's health is a big factor in what we do this summer on defense. But the guy you mentioned seems like the kind of add you could make at the deadline. We don't really need to commit to a high end upgrade at the position in the off-season. And if you're concerned about the term, it's probably better off to address the role mid-season.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
They retained on Barrie to pick up Kadri. They got massive value in the deal. And with Makar on the roster taking all of Barrie's assignments, it was incredibly easy for them to walk away.

And if Barrie was willing to re-sign for something in that ballpark, they'd be stupid to walk away. Because there's no replacement for the offense that he's capable of. He produces at the rate of a high end winger here. Something that we've yet to see from one of our wingers.

It's pointless to speculate on this because Barrie's looking for a payday. But the same logic would apply to signing Hamilton, or trading for Jones or Parayko. What are you doing with Bouchard?

Bouchard is a bottom pairing defenseman next season. Regardless of what happens with the roster.

Because those are different defensemen than Barrie. That bring different elements to the game. You have a poor mans version of Barrie’s strengths already in Bouchard, great and arguably more accurate shot, puck moving skill, lack luster in their own zone.

Jones Hamilton Parayko are D that log major minutes and play PK, something that together on the roster, neither Barrie or Bouchard will do next season from the right side.

To play 2 guys next year on the right side, who will not play PK, or as we seen with Tippet, help close out right games. Tippett was running Nurse-Larsson as a pair to shut down games. To run both Bouchard and Barrie in protected offensive minutes next season is idiotic, but due to both of their skill sets would need to be done if you keep both

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Klefbom's health is a big factor in what we do this summer on defense. But the guy you mentioned seems like the kind of add you could make at the deadline. We don't really need to commit to a high end upgrade at the position in the off-season. And if you're concerned about the term, it's probably better off to address the role mid-season.

I don't know. Those types of guys seem to be cheaper in the offseason and you get the benefit of having them all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad