Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Too Much Reality, Bring Back the Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I just don't see how we're going to flip him for cap space.

And in a vaccuum he's literally twice the d-man Gryba is.

Well with the price that RD's have been getting maybe we just retain $1 million and get something of use back?

I don't care about what he can do in a vacuum cleaner, I care about what he can do on the ice! :sarcasm:

Joking aside, Gryba would be cheaper and add a physical dimension to our blueline. IMO Fayne is not $2 million better than Gryba.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
take this for what it's worth...through my work, met bob nicholson at the fireaid event yesterday at commonwealth...ad verbatim

"we took a lot of heat today, but just hang tight and wait till tomorrow (i.e. today)"

obviously he didn't want to mention specifics but food for thought

"We took a lot of heat today but just hang tight and wait till tomorrow. We'll deal RNH for Dumba and it will make the Hall trade pale in comparison to the heat we took." - Nicholson :sarcasm:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
FWIW I had one source tell me that we were dealing Hall and pushing hard for Looch about 10 days ago. So not all of the sources are full of it.

Just because something someone said turned out to be true doesn't mean that person has a source.

Look at that Treenasoil or whatever twitter account. It guessed right about something like 5 years ago and is still riding that reputation even today, despite being clearly nothing.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I think one thing that Nicholson's comments make plain if it isn't already is that no GM trades away a star player and valued commodity like Taylor Hall without getting it signed off by ownership and upper management. There's no way he does that deal in a vacuum, for better or worse he would've had to get buy-in from the guys he answers to.

Chiarelli's pretty much put his GMing career on the line with this deal, even more so than the Seguin trade. If he's wrong on this and the team continues to flounder, no other team will give him the GM chair again.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
This board has unrealistic offensive expectation of a 3line player.

40 points is firmly in the top-six realm in the modern NHL. If your third line player is scoring 30 with consistency, he's above NHL average.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't think that's a solid top-6. If it weren't for McDavid, I may think it's among the worst in the NHL.

Lucic is already 60% the offensive player Taylor Hall is, you can't afford to trade a legit top-10 offensive RW and replace it with an 18 year old and a dude playing an off-position.

Now more than ever, we need the guaranteed top-line offense of Jordan Eberle.

I'm not the biggest Eberle fan and I agree with you. I think regardless of improvements on D, if we lose Hall and Eberle and only bring in Lucic and unproven Puljujarvi, we'll be hurting.

Even with losing Hall, we're going to be hurting more than people think. I haven't seen enough from anyone else on the roster to make me think that someone will be able to take command of the 2nd line to be a consistent threat the way Hall was. McDavid of course will be ok on the first line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't think that's a solid top-6. If it weren't for McDavid, I may think it's among the worst in the NHL.

Lucic is already 60% the offensive player Taylor Hall is, you can't afford to trade a legit top-10 offensive RW and replace it with an 18 year old and a dude playing an off-position.

Now more than ever, we need the guaranteed top-line offense of Jordan Eberle.

Drai looked very good on RW last season, Eberle's lack of a give a **** in the d-zone makes him expendable to me, McDavid can make anyone not named Hall look good on his wing, RNH and Drai are very capable 2nd line players and RNH has shown chemistry with Pouliot as well.

In theory we could roll
Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl

and have a solid top 6 even without Puljujarvi.

I'd say I seriously doubt whatever relationship Hall did have with officials negatively affected the team.

I don't even remember that many instances of Hall having feuds with refs.

Agree to disagree.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't see how they can get 3 new D in here unless they manage to off-load Mark Fayne. I think they trade for a PP guy like Barrie, Vatanen etc and end up with:

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-XXX
Davidson-Fayne

Darnell Nurse challenging for a spot
Gryba potential #7?
Reinhart and Oesterle as the primary call-up options

I wonder if Fayne to Nashville might be an option. Colin Wilson is on a bit of a gross contract with $3.9M owed for three years. He potted just 24 points last year. Predators need an experienced RHD for a year or two while their kids develop.

I'd gladly eat the extra year + slight bump in cap hit for a dependable if not spectacular bottom six forward. He can play all three forward positions.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This board has unrealistic offensive expectation of a 3line player.

40 points is firmly in the top-six realm in the modern NHL. If your third line player is scoring 30 with consistency, he's above NHL average.

Yet you say that Lucic, RNH, and Drai would not be part of a good top 6 when all 3 are likely to top that margin.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Is there any one player that the Wild could add to Dumba that you guys would consider in a trade for RNH? Caveat being the Wild would have to be willing to consider it, i.e. not like Spurgeon or Suter as well.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Drai looked very good on RW last season, Eberle's lack of a give a **** in the d-zone makes him expendable to me, McDavid can make anyone not named Hall look good on his wing, RNH and Drai are very capable 2nd line players and RNH has shown chemistry with Pouliot as well.

In theory we could roll
Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl

Agree to disagree.

On paper it looks fine but I think not having a right shot in the top 6 would be tough.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

In theory we could roll
Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl

Draisaitl's stint at RW was a small sample buoyed by an insane, league-leading scoring streak from Taylor Hall.

RNH is a quiet lock for 50 points and whoever plays with McDavid is going to get a boost - but it's a sub-optimal grouping of players that counts on two young guys being better than they are guaranteed to be.

I would trade Leon Draisaitl at this stage before I would trade Jordan Eberle. The only player in this entire grouping, besides McDavid, guaranteed to produce at a top-line clip is now Jordan Eberle.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just because something someone said turned out to be true doesn't mean that person has a source.

Look at that Treenasoil or whatever twitter account. It guessed right about something like 5 years ago and is still riding that reputation even today, despite being clearly nothing.

Naturally, this is why I wouldn't say that they have a surefire source until more things are called in the future.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Yet you say that Lucic, RNH, and Drai would not be part of a good top 6 when all 3 are likely to top that margin.

Without a driver like Hall on the 2nd line, I have a bad feeling that the players not on McDavid's line will be underwhelming. I don't know that they have it in them to be the go-to guy on a scoring line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Draisaitl's stint at RW was a small sample buoyed by an insane, league-leading scoring streak from Taylor Hall.

RNH is a quiet lock for 50 points and whoever plays with McDavid is going to get a boost - but it's a sub-optimal grouping of players that counts on two young guys being better than they are guaranteed to be.

I would trade Leon Draisaitl at this stage before I would trade Jordan Eberle. The only player in this entire grouping, besides McDavid, guaranteed to produce at a top-line clip is now Jordan Eberle.

With all due respect I am glad that you're not our GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad