Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Too Much Reality, Bring Back the Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Let's say RNH goes in a cap-saving trade for Haula/Granlund/Coyle + Dumba, and the team successfully offer sheets another D.

SEKERA ($5.5M) X ($6.5M-7M?)
KLEFBOM ($4.2M) LARSSON ($4.2M)
DAVIDSON ($1.4M) DUMBA ($2.5M?)

What a one-week makeover of that D. You go from having zero high-end right handers under 30 to suddenly three of them- and you still have McDavid, Draisaitl, Eberle, Puljujarvi and maybe Lucic up front. Just an incredible transformation.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If we move RNH for Barrie then I don't get why we did Hall for Larsson when there are plenty of UFA's.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
take this for what it's worth...through my work, met bob nicholson at the fireaid event yesterday at commonwealth...ad verbatim

"we took a lot of heat today, but just hang tight and wait till tomorrow (i.e. today)"

obviously he didn't want to mention specifics but food for thought

They knew they were going to get heat for the move, this is why IMO it took big balls to pull it off. I wasn't keep on the value that Hall returned but until we see what other moves are incoming I'm willing to cut Chia some slack (here comes RNH for Dumba and then I lose my mind!) :laugh:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I prefer Russell to Carle, but I don't think we should entertain adding either one. I'm also still baffled why multiple teams apparently value Russel higher than Hamhuis.

I value Russell over Carle in the sense that both of them are KHL tier players, but Carle should be interested in that expansion team they got going on in China.

Carle used to be something, but he's done.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I really think people are getting ahead of themselves in not having Fayne on the roster for next season.

There weren't any takers last year for free, there wont be any takers this year. We're not going to just be able to erase his cap hit Besides, he's still a good NHL d-man to soak up some defensive zone start time. Gives Larsson a little more opportunity to evolve an offensive game if he doesn't need to start 70% of his time in the defensive zone like he did in Jersey.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I really think people are getting ahead of themselves in not having Fayne on the roster for next season.

There weren't any takers last year for free, there wont be any takers this year. We're not going to just be able to erase his cap hit Besides, he's still a good NHL d-man to soak up some defensive zone start time. Gives Larsson a little more opportunity to evolve an offensive game if he doesn't need to start 70% of his time in the defensive zone like he did in Jersey.

I agree with this.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
take this for what it's worth...through my work, met bob nicholson at the fireaid event yesterday at commonwealth...ad verbatim

"we took a lot of heat today, but just hang tight and wait till tomorrow (i.e. today)"

See, this is a rumour I can get behind. Because I can totally believe that's something Bob Nicholson would say. But it better be really ****ing good.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011

Fayne will for sure be the 2/3 RHD depending on the other RHD we get.

Barrie would get 2nd RHD EV minutes, Dumba probably 3rd RHD EV minutes.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If we move RNH for Barrie then I don't get why we did Hall for Larsson when there are plenty of UFA's.

Because he is a young shut down D on a very good contract and there has been a lot of smoke around Hall being an issue in the room.

One thing that no one has mentioned is that the reffing has really boned us and IMO part of that is how Hall would speak to the officials. Hopefully him moving on improves our relationship with the zebras that want to be more of a factor in the game than the players :shakehead

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

God I hope youre right. My mistrust for this isn't personal. Just because of the 'sources' we've had over the last few weeks.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I still say that he is overpaid and if we could flip him for cap space I would in a heartbeat. Larsson-Barrie-Gryba would be a nice mix on the right side IMO.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Because he is a young shut down D on a very good contract and there has been a lot of smoke around Hall being an issue in the room.

One thing that no one has mentioned is that the reffing has really boned us and IMO part of that is how Hall would speak to the officials. Hopefully him moving on improves our relationship with the zebras that want to be more of a factor in the game than the players :shakehead

That's a massive reach.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Let's say RNH goes in a cap-saving trade for Haula/Granlund/Coyle + Dumba, and the team successfully offer sheets another D.

SEKERA ($5.5M) X ($6.5M-7M?)
KLEFBOM ($4.2M) LARSSON ($4.2M)
DAVIDSON ($1.4M) DUMBA ($2.5M?)

What a one-week makeover of that D. You go from having zero high-end right handers under 30 to suddenly three of them- and you still have McDavid, Draisaitl, Eberle, Puljujarvi and maybe Lucic up front. Just an incredible transformation.

I don't see how they can get 3 new D in here unless they manage to off-load Mark Fayne. I think they trade for a PP guy like Barrie, Vatanen etc and end up with:

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-XXX
Davidson-Fayne

Darnell Nurse challenging for a spot
Gryba potential #7?
Reinhart and Oesterle as the primary call-up options

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
God I hope youre right. My mistrust for this isn't personal. Just because of the 'sources' we've had over the last few weeks.

FWIW I had one source tell me that we were dealing Hall and pushing hard for Looch about 10 days ago. So not all of the sources are full of it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I still say that he is overpaid and if we could flip him for cap space I would in a heartbeat. Larsson-Barrie-Gryba would be a nice mix on the right side IMO.

I just don't see how we're going to flip him for cap space.

And in a vaccuum he's literally twice the d-man Gryba is.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'm not happy with the trade, but if we can enter the season without any big holes I'll be very happy.

Realistically, that is one more top4 RHD and a UFA top 6 LW and we have a competent top 4 D, a competent top 6 Forwards (top 9 even), and a competent starting goaltender. Last time we could say all those things were true was in 2006.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Glorified Mark Letestu imo (much better skater though).

Need more offense out of a 3rd line C.

He's been consistently 10-15 goals and 25-30 points. We're not getting a 40 point 3C unless we're prepared to shell out $4million to a UFA.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Demers is probably the backup if they can't get Barrie or Dumba or something along those lines for a price they are comfortable with.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Pretty sure that Lucic will be an Oiler in short order. He's no Hall, but he's not chopped liver either. Ideally he costs less than Hall too although I'm not sure that would be the case. If I had my way I'd deal Eberle for Shattenkirk extended or Barrie.

Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Pouliot/Maroon-RNH-Draisaitl

Still a very solid top 6.

I don't think that's a solid top-6. If it weren't for McDavid, I may think it's among the worst in the NHL.

Lucic is already 60% the offensive player Taylor Hall is, you can't afford to trade a legit top-10 offensive RW and replace it with an 18 year old and a dude playing an off-position.

Now more than ever, we need the guaranteed top-line offense of Jordan Eberle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad