Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Stauffer Already Throwing Cold Water On the Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No. No no no no no.

No more coaching changes. Coaching is not the problem. Depth is the problem.
You are kidding right? Depth is the reason this coach lead this team to a 1-7 record in 2 playoff series, in which they were the favourite each time, in the same 12 months?

Noooooo, Depth is a concern, this coach can't get a team ready for the playoffs, find one that can.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Bad teams worry about how hard players work in practice.

Good teams only care about how hard players work in games.

The reality is Bouchard didn't play much this year because the right side was healthy and the org wanted Barrie to get powerplay time.

No bad teams don't worry about the process and only focus on basic results. Bad teams panic trade Strome for Spooner because of that. Practice is VERY important for development. If you're an older player who has to pace themselves and is proven perhaps their is truth to that but I always think of the great Marvelous Marvin Hagler and his quote:

” It’s tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you’ve been sleeping in silk pajamas”

I think many players flame out when they get too comfortable. I also think it's notable that they guys who play the longest always seem to have reps for crazy work ethics. Guys like Chara, Brind'Amour, Jagr, and Chelios had reps for never taking a day off. Some guys certainly could, like Hull, but that's a very rare talent.

I agree with the last line though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bad teams worry about how hard players work in practice.

Good teams only care about how hard players work in games.

The reality is Bouchard didn't play much this year because the right side was healthy and the org wanted Barrie to get powerplay time.
I mean that's very true for players who are proven quantities. If you aren't and are fighting for play time you better get the team is caring about how you look in practice.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Nobody said its mostly dumb luck, but some outcomes are more luck based than others. The accepted percentage of outcomes that are defined more by luck that controllable outcomes within hockey tends to be quoted around 25-35% Why it’s so much harder to predict winners in hockey than basketball and Percentage Luck in Hockey, Explained for some further reading, there are others as well that I've read that I'm not going to waste a bunch of time digging up. There is actually a fair bit of research on the topic.

Whatever the % of outcomes you attribute to luck, whether you think its on the low end at 15-20%, or at the high end at 40-45%, its still a pretty large number for hockey. For every 10 series that are played in the playoffs, 1-2 of them on the low end will be determined primarily by the "luck" that happens in the series (bounces, deflections, shots hitting the cross bar, fluke goalie saves, flubbed shots, bouncing pucks, weird ref calls, etc etc). The reaction isn't "oh we are going to be beholden to luck for X% of the time, so why bother", but rather to just admit as fans that sometimes your team is going to lose when they should win, and vice versa. It's just part of the sport.
I've lived it many times.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Stay away from Jones, Hamilton, and Hyman. All of those players are going to get overpaid. We need to bring in young players who are not looking for a pay day but want to win.

Need to find the next Panarin.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The Oilers stars put the effort in and hit a hot goalie. I know that's hard to see because we lost but just looking at the numbers it shows it
5v5
McDavid
Corsi for 130, Shots for 60, xGF 5.24, Scoring Chances 64, High Danger Scoring Chances 34

Matthews 134, Shots for 84, xGF 6.5 Scoring Chances for 73, High Danger chances for 27

Now the stats look pretty similar if you forget that Matthews played 7 games and McDavid played 4
You break a hot goalie by going to the net and battling. You will goals in over time. I didn’t see Mcdavid wack away in front of the net all series.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Stay away from Jones, Hamilton, and Hyman. All of those players are going to get overpaid. We need to bring in young players who are not looking for a pay day but want to win.

How do you get high quailty young players. They are already under contract to other teams. Any that are even close to sure things will cost you an arm and a leg. You might be able to afford one but not more. And those assets are another form of cost. You can over pay in money or over pay in other assets. It's still an over pay.

Finding the next Panarin is like winning the lottery. It sets you up well if you do. But it is not something you can count on or really even control.

Last edited:

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019

That player you are talking about is a complete unicorn. Even if there was a player out there who strictly wanted to win, why would he come join the oilers?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't think Bouchard has any stigma, I think they love him. The Oilers had 3 D ahead of him and they didn't get hurt much, it happens. Bouchard got world class coaching against world class players in this shortened season and if he did have work ethic issues they probably worked those out of him. Just because you don't get to see a player in games doesn't mean he can't be improving. I saw increased physicality and pace from him this season when he did play for example. Not every player should be developed in the same way and Bouchard's exceptional hockey IQ makes me think sitting isn't going to ruin him as much as learning what it takes to be an NHLer helps him. Playing against and training with the aforementioned Patrick Russell every damn day is going to do his compete level good I'd suspect. Having Nygard coming down on you with a head of steam is going to help you learn how to deal with faster players. The Oilers had a very deep taxi squad and I think they used it more in developing the guys on it than they got credit for.

Hope you're right !

Reactions: Samus44

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021

Hamilton would be good for 8 mill or so. I wouldn't mind a contract like that.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You are kidding right? Depth is the reason this coach lead this team to a 1-7 record in 2 playoff series, in which they were the favourite each time, in the same 12 months?

Noooooo, Depth is a concern, this coach can't get a team ready for the playoffs, find one that can.
What? Your post makes no sense. If a coach has no depth to work with, how the hell is he supposed to make the team be great in the playoffs? Is he supposed to get depth players by doing magic? Does he need to be some kind of wizard? :huh:

Keefe is who should be replaced. He had so much depth and he ended up losing a 3-1 series lead.

Reactions: fresh meat

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What? Your post makes no sense. If a coach has no depth to work with, how the hell is he supposed to make the team be great in the playoffs? Is he supposed to get depth players by doing magic? Does he need to be some kind of wizard? :huh:

Keefe is who should be replaced. He had so much depth and he ended up losing a 3-1 series lead.
How the f*ck did the team ever win a regular season game if this team's depth is such formidable trash? Like stop, Dave Tippett took 2 superior teams and failed to have them ready to succeed when it matters. They need a new coach because this guy doesn't have what it takes to take this team anywhere in the playoffs.

As for Keefe, they should absolutely fire him. The Leafs gave up 1 goal and basically quit, that doesn't show the coach well.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
How the f*ck did the team ever win a regular season game if this team's depth is such formidable trash? Like stop, Dave Tippett took 2 superior teams and failed to have them ready to succeed when it matters. They need a new coach because this guy doesn't have what it takes to take this team anywhere in the playoffs.

As for Keefe, they should absolutely fire him. The Leafs gave up 1 goal and basically quit, that doesn't show the coach well.
He took two teams and got them top
2 in the division twice. And actually, we didn’t have depth other than JP, Nurse and Barrie. Our main squad was McDavid, Leon, Nuge. Yam had an off year. That lack of depth made its appearance in the playoffs when Leon and McDavid got worked on my the Jets

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So you made three posts blaming Campbell for the Leafs losing and then another almost dozen in which you continued to blame him. Gotcha.
Only two of those count though as posts where you actually blamed him for the Leafs losing. :thumbu:

I’m glad we cleared this up.

it’s like a man explaining to a police officer that I only punched the other guy 10 more times just to show him that the first 3 times I punched him weren’t my hardest punches. Then insisting to the officer that he only punched the guy twice as the other 11 don’t really count.

Those darn technicalities lol.

cheers man.
A dozen eh? Alright let’s go through this:

He gave up a bad deflating goal at the worst time yesterday though. It’s not always about the numbers, sometimes it’s about the timing.
Nah I blamed McDavid actually.

Doesn't mean Campbell shouldn't have stopped it.
I didn't say it was all his fault. He shares a large part of the blame for the Game 7 loss though. He played like Andersen usually does in Game 7s. Soft goals.
I think you're taking your irritation out on me, even though I joined the party late here in this discussion. Others might be completely blaming Campbell. That's not what I actually said though.
Am I actually blaming him in this post?
I haven't actually defended Matthews or Marner either btw. I've flat out said Marner was bad.

I just made a standalone comment about Campbell and you lumped me in with everybody else you're arguing against.
Am I blaming him here? I don’t think so. What I’m actually doing here is criticizing your responses to my post.

And that’s it. A grand total of 3 posts criticizing Campbell before I posted that I made 2 posts doing it. So I was off by one post. My bad.

Everything else I posted about Campbell was after I posted I made 2 posts blaming him. At the time I made that specific post, that statement was basically correct (off by one post like I said).

You also accused me of blaming him for the entire series loss. Which I never said. I blamed him for having a large part in the Game 7 loss specifically.

You also accused me of defending Matthews/Marner and throwing Campbell under the bus instead.

Earlier today I made these posts:

Although tbh Marner was bad too.

Can’t complain about this turn of events. ;)

It’s because of the whole contract dispute thing. And I guess he’s also underperformed in the playoffs too.

Yeah, I really defended him here. :sarcasm:

And then there’s the fact that I voted for Matthews in this poll:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/who-do-you-blame-for-the-series-loss-to-the-habs.2826322/

Really threw Campbell under the bus with my vote here. :sarcasm:

My guess is you got irritated at my initial post because I jumped into the discussion late, assumed I was defending Matthews and Marner like other people you were already arguing with, and took it out on me for some reason. Later on you kept posting that you were trying to drop it when it’s clear that the opposite was true. Maybe we disagreed in the past on some other issue and you’re still holding it against me, I dunno. Your responses to my posts in this thread seem disproportionately angry though.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
What else is he going to say? Is he going to call out Matthews and Marner publicly? No he’s going to be a humble pro and put the blame on himself because he knows how fragile Matthews and Marner are.

He did let in Goals he had to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad