Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Stauffer Already Throwing Cold Water On the Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That douche Wyshny(whatever) had an article about how to “save” McDavid (didn’t read his clickbait bullshit) wonder if he’ll try and save Matthew’s as well?

He said on a radio show it was not Marner and Matthews fault they lost, that the rest of the Leafs didn’t hold their end of the bargain up.

That New Jersey idiot clearly can’t read a stats page.

Reactions: TB12 and Faelko

North

Jun 25, 2009
He said on a radio show it was not Marner and Matthews fault they lost, that the rest of the Leafs didn’t hold their end of the bargain up.

That New Jersey idiot clearly can’t read a stats page.

Funny how a deeper team gets the it’s the other players faults but on a shallower team like ours it’s McDavid and Drai who are to blame.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I guess we can keep talking about the leafs in the Oilers forum.

Assuming Kerfoot is taken in the expansion draft, the leafs have 65.5M in salary giving them 16M in cap space and 13 players signed. They need to sign 1 goaltender, 2 defenceman and 7 forwards. If the leafs manage to get Hyman at 6M that still only leaves 10M for 9 players. I think guys like Spezza and Bogosian will get slight increases. I dont see them really being able to improve from the roster they already have.

Campbell and Rielly will be ufas the following year and will look for significant increases even in a flat cap. So this next year is probably an all in year. I imagine they will have a lot of pressure to make the second round next year. It will be hard to acquire guys at the deadline with only 6 picks, so they probably need to get guys during free agency.

Dubas has his work cut out for him. My guess is they make some minor moves and signings and attempt a run again next year with the same core guys.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Funny how a deeper team gets the it’s the other players faults but on a shallower team like ours it’s McDavid and Drai who are to blame.
I wouldn't expect any consistency from that tool. He led a crusade against McDavid in 2018 over the Hart Trophy because the Oilers missed the playoffs and then voted for Panarin last season.

moneygoalie31

Jul 14, 2007
The goal is winning cups??? It can be argued that Winnipeg's goalie won them the series. Carey Price was on another planet in games 5,6 and 7. McDavid has 5 years left and Drai 4, so make the deal in the offseason and get Price. Give them Neal and Koski plus a picks and prospects. Have an all world tendy for the next 3 to 4 years. The contract might be ugly on the end but if we win 2 to 3 cups who gives a shit.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Assuming Kerfoot is taken in the expansion draft, the leafs have 65.5M in salary giving them 16M in cap space and 13 players signed. They need to sign 1 goaltender, 2 defenceman and 7 forwards. If the leafs manage to get Hyman at 6M that still only leaves 10M for 9 players. I think guys like Spezza and Bogosian will get slight increases. I dont see them really being able to improve from the roster they already have.

Campbell and Rielly will be ufas the following year and will look for significant increases even in a flat cap. So this next year is probably an all in year. I imagine they will have a lot of pressure to make the second round next year. It will be hard to acquire guys at the deadline with only 6 picks, so they probably need to get guys during free agency.

Dubas has his work cut out for him. My guess is they make some minor moves and signings and attempt a run again next year with the same core guys.

I'd offer Klefbom + forward prospect for Nylander and see if they bite. Best case scenario for them they get a legit Top 4 (maybe even top pairing if things go well) defenseman and 3M in cap space. Worst case scenario they free up 7M in cap space with Klefbom on LTIR.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'd offer Klefbom for Nylander and see if they bite. Best case scenario for them they get a legit Top 4 (maybe even top pairing if things go well) defenseman and 3M in cap space. Worst case scenario they free up 7M in cap space AND an additional 4M in LTIR space. That's 11M to make roster changes.

I'm not sure I understand how LTIR works. Wouldnt they just get 3M in cap space (difference in contract) + 4M in LTIR if they put Klefbom on it?

Reactions: Cloned

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Hamilton would be good for 8 mill or so. I wouldn't mind a contract like that.
I'm honestly not sure why Hamilton is even being talked about. He's an introverted guy who couldn't handle the Boston and Calgary fishbowls, and was ridiculed strongly for it, now of course hes playing well in a Southern market. I say there's a zero percent chance he ends up in a traditional market, let alone Edmonton.

Reactions: Anarchism

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'm honestly not sure why Hamilton is even being talked about. He's an introverted guy who couldn't handle the Boston and Calgary fishbowls, and was ridiculed strongly for it, now of course hes playing well in a Southern market. I say there's a zero percent chance he ends up in a traditional market, let alone Edmonton.

It wasn’t that he couldn’t handle Calgary.

Calgary didn’t like the fact he was introverted and enjoyed spending time at a museum rather than going out and partying.

North

Jun 25, 2009

They’re going to have a harder time next year since the divisions are going to be back to normal.

This year was their best shot and they pissed it away.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
They’re going to have a harder time next year since the divisions are going to be back to normal.

This year was their best shot and they pissed it away.

Agreed. Although the muzzin and tavares injuries really hurt them. If they stay healthy and make some minor tweaks they will likely be a better team but in a harder division.

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021

Just tell him to walk around Fort Edmonton and it will placate him for a while.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I've wanted hamilton since his draft year. Hes a really smart guy and I believe he won scholastic player of the year. I think he would fit in well with our core.

Maybe I'm wrong but the party guys here seem to be gone. Like RNH and Larsson seem to be viewed as leaders here and neither are incredibly vocal guys. I think that might have even been why Puljujarvi wasnt welcomed with open arms (his love for the game and goofy attitude came across as immature) and why Neal has been more of a fit than lucic was.

Having said that Hamilton still has his warts. He can leave you wanting more at times for a guy with his ability.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I don’t think Hyman will be 6 but they will be in tight to their cap after they sign him. I’ll bet he comes in no more than 5.

Spezza might not be so inclined to play for league minimum for a 3rd year on a team with Diva 1 and Diva 2 who disappear come playoff time. I can see him making a move to another team for three times the money.

Same w Bogosian who can probably make double his salary elsewhere. The Leafs will also have to pay 2-3M for a goalie to ride shotgun with Campbell who can’t be counted on being a number one in a normal season.

I agree they need to go all in and the only way to do that is pick up a couple of LTIR contracts so they can circumvent the salary cap.

Ryan Kesler $6.9 x 1
Andrew Shaw $3.9 x 1
Johnny Boychuk $6 x 1

By acquiring these 3 guys the Leafs can add about $17M to their cap.

They’d be hooped for adding players if they ran into injury trouble if they couldn’t put players on IR or LTIR in season and probably would not be able to add at the deadline but with their farm team in their own city they can carry 20 players for most games and not 23 saving them on the cap and being able to call up players who are at the league minimum.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I don’t think Hyman will be 6 but they will be in tight to their cap after they sign him. I’ll bet he comes in no more than 5.

Spezza might not be so inclined to play for league minimum for a 3rd year on a team with Diva 1 and Diva 2 who disappear come playoff time. I can see him making a move to another team for three times the money.

Same w Bogosian who can probably make double his salary elsewhere. The Leafs will also have to pay 2-3M for a goalie to ride shotgun with Campbell who can’t be counted on being a number one in a normal season.

I agree they need to go all in and the only way to do that is pick up a couple of LTIR contracts so they can circumvent the salary cap.

Ryan Kesler $6.9 x 1
Andrew Shaw $3.9 x 1
Johnny Boychuk $6 x 1

They’d be hooped for adding players if they ran into injury trouble and couldn’t put players on IR or LTIR in season and probably would not be able to add at the deadline but with their farm team in their own city they can carry 20 players for most games and not 23 saving them on the cap and being able to call up players who are at the league minimum.

Dont they have to be under the cap before the season starts? That means they would have to trade for those contracts during the season and wouldnt be able to use it during this offseason? Or is their some kind of sneaky way around that?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Ryan Kesler $6.9 x 1
Andrew Shaw $3.9 x 1
Johnny Boychuk $6 x 1

They’d be hooped for adding players if they ran into injury trouble if they couldn’t put players on IR or LTIR in season and probably would not be able to add at the deadline but with their farm team in their own city they can carry 20 players for most games and not 23 saving them on the cap and being able to call up players who are at the league minimum.
To get the LTIR flexibility, they'd have to be able to fit them all into an $81.5m payroll at the beginning of the season. I don't see how they could do it considering they're at $69m with only 14 guys on the roster.

They could flip Kerfoot for dead cap, but that would only shed $3.5m. And in the end that makes them even shallower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille