Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Stauffer Already Throwing Cold Water On the Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes he is to blame...he should have stopped every single shot.
I think you're taking your irritation out on me, even though I joined the party late here in this discussion. Others might be completely blaming Campbell. That's not what I actually said though.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It would be a different story if Matthews and Marner busted their asses that game but Price just stole the show.

Matthews line had a SINGLE high danger chances last night. One. One single quality chance. McDavid had 7.
The lengths some Oiler fans are going to, to defend Matthews and Marner while crapping on a career backup who had a save percentage over .940 in the series is amazing. This kind of crazy talk I’d expect from some Leaf fan on Twitter who’s user name is “Matthews is BAE”.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think you're taking your irritation out on me, even though I joined the party late here in this discussion. Others might be completely blaming Campbell. That's not what I actually said though.
Not irritated. More bewildered and amused.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not irritated. More bewildered and amused.
I haven't actually defended Matthews or Marner either btw. I've flat out said Marner was bad.

I just made a standalone comment about Campbell and you lumped me in with everybody else you're arguing against.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Even if we add a guy like Hamilton I would keep Bouchard. Bouchard is a potential impact player with 2 ELC seasons left. In the current covid cap world that is massive.
We won’t, but hypothetically speaking if we were to land Hamilton, I would 100% trade Bear. And I still like Bear. Bouchard is big, mobile, talented, and cheap. You’d have to get your socks knocked off to trade that guy. Given that he is not a known commodity yet, you’re not likely getting a premium for him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I haven't actually defended Matthews or Marner either btw. I've flat out said Marner was bad.

I just made a standalone comment about Campbell and you lumped me in with everybody else you're arguing against.

by saying that Campbell deserves the majority of the blame, you’re defending the players who actually deserve the majority of the blame. Make sense. You blame McDavid for the Oilers 3OT goal against...Yet you totally blamed Campbell for the 1st goal which resulted off of a terrible giveaway by Marner and a lazy back check by Matthews. Every post you have made has been “it’s Campbell’s fault” in some form.

I’ll leave it at that though as I think we’ve exhausted this. You think Campbell is to blame for the Leafs losing the series. That much is clear. I think that’s ridiculous. We won’t agree. Thanks for the pleasant discussion.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
by saying that Campbell deserves the majority of the blame, you’re defending the players who actually deserve the majority of the blame. Make sense. You blame McDavid for the Oilers 3OT goal against...Yet you totally blamed Campbell for the 1st goal which resulted off of a terrible giveaway by Marner and a lazy back check by Matthews. Every post you have made has been “it’s Campbell’s fault” in some form.
I've made like a grand total of 2 posts on this subject, lol. I'm pretty sure you're mixing me up with someone else or taking your irritation out on me.

And no, your first sentence isn't necessarily true. Can I not blame Campbell for a bad goal in Game 7 and Matthews/Marner for not scoring enough? Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Last I'll really say about Toronto.

It's fair to question a teams core when after years of your GM being active and bringing in good vets (Spezza), shoring up the defense (Muzzin, Brodie) and finding a steal of a goalie who got hot (Campbell) and you have very solid depth...and still can't get it done. What's left?

If Holland gives this team crazy good depth and good defense and goaltending and we still can't get over the hump then yeah, it would be fair to then question the stars

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I've made like a grand total of 2 posts on this subject, lol. I'm pretty sure you're mixing me up with someone else or taking your irritation out on me.
Pretty sure you’ve made more than 2 posts on the subject o_O. But I digress

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Seeing how things went down with the Leafs I’m not that pessimistic about us.
Their Marner, Matthews, Tavares contracts aren’t gonna age well in the next 2-3 years.

Let’s hope Holland spends wisely this off-season and doesn’t spend stupid money like Chia did

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

It's fair to question a teams core when after years of your GM being active and bringing in good vets (Spezza), shoring up the defense (Muzzin, Brodie) and finding a steal of a goalie who got hot (Campbell) and you have very solid depth...and still can't get it done. What's left?

If Holland gives this team crazy good depth and good defense and goaltending and we still can't get over the hump then yeah, it would be fair to then question the stars
In this case I do think the blame rests squarely on the players. The GM gave them the tools to make it over the hump and the coaching did what it could. They were twice a single goal away from the second round and once it got to game seven you could tell they were super nervous.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Pretty sure you’ve made more than 2 posts on the subject o_O. But I digress
I've made like 2 or 3 posts talking about Marner being bad. Another 2 or 3 posts about Campbell. That's it lol.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I've made like 2 or 3 posts talking about Marner being bad. Another 2 or 3 posts about Campbell. That's it lol.
Ok. I’m assuming you think no one can read. Which is cool and all. I’ll leave you to the two posts in total you’ve made where you blame Campbell. :thumbu:

does that bike go backwards when you backpedal that fast? Just wondering ;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You seem irritated and want to take it out on me. I have attempted to drop this multiple times. If you want to further chat you can PM me. :deadhorse
Nah, you can't find more, don't try to deflect. And I'm not sure I'd call this attempting to drop it. ;)

Reactions: nabob

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The Leafs have lost 5 straight playoff series. At what point do you stop attributing it to "luck" and "goaltending" and realize that perhaps the core doesn't have the mental makeup to get over that hurdle?

Did Joe Thornton simply lack the mental make up to take the Sharks deep in all the years they struggled to get past the second round? What about Ovechkin? Did it just take him 10 years to figure it out.

No, because that's bullshit storytelling. The list of very good teams that have struggled to go deep in the playoffs is long for a reason. Winning is hard.

Sure if this was a one off, I could understand where you're coming from but they've lose 5 straight 1st round series against 4 different opponents and a bunch of different goalies with the same core and a shuffling around of supporting cast.

This is the first series they've lost where they were clear cut favourites. Against Boston they were the underdogs and Columbus was basically a wash. Three of those five series losses were also 7 games so we're basically talking about a couple of bounces that could have completely ruined your narrative.

Seems to be more issues with the Leafs than constant bad luck and always running into hot goalies.

I can see what it "seems to be" but that's just the human tendency to look for meaning where there is none.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Did Joe Thornton simply lack the mental make up to take the Sharks deep in all the years they struggled to get past the second round? What about Ovechkin? Did it just take him 10 years to figure it out.

No, because that's bullshit storytelling. The list of very good teams that have struggled to go deep in the playoffs is long for a reason. Winning is hard.

This is the first series they've lost where they were clear cut favourites. Against Boston they were the underdogs and Columbus was basically a wash. Three of those five series losses were also 7 games so we're basically talking about a couple of bounces that could have completely ruined your narrative.

I can see what it "seems to be" but that's just the human tendency to look for meaning where there is none.
Man not even Toronto fans are bending over to defend them this hard

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nah, you can't find more, don't try to deflect. And I'm not sure I'd call this attempting to drop it. ;)
Not deflecting lol. Everyone can see how many posts you’ve made. You’re the one dragging this out and insisting you have only made two posts about Campbell lol.

if you want to continue to take your irritation out on me you can PM me. (Just thought I’d repeat it in case you missed that the first time I said it)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
When does someone ask EXACTLY THIS about the Oilers core??? I wonder too if they have the mental makeup. Waiting for them to elevate their game, instead the team AND core players were a cotton puff pushover. Where does that come from? I wasn't surprised.
I think we're pretty close to this. They seem to be looking past their opponents.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not deflecting lol. Everyone can see how many posts you’ve made. You’re the one dragging this out and insisting you have only made two posts about Campbell lol.

if you want to continue to take your irritation out on me you can PM me. (Just thought I’d repeat it in case you missed that the first time I said it)

I said I made 2 or 3 posts partly blaming Campbell. The other ones were explaining that I wasn't completely blaming him and therefore don't actually count. Yeah, I'm all about the technicalities. ;)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Man not even Toronto fans are bending over to defend them this hard
It’s one of the weirdest things I have seen on this board. Very strange that multiple posters here would take up the flag that not even the most die hard Leaf homers don’t want to wave.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think we're pretty close to this. They seem to be looking past their opponents.
I know in some cases teams definitely do that in the regular season. I wonder if that would be the case to some degree for the Oilers this year, Toronto yes, as their two biggest stars didn’t even play hard, but at least McDavid and Drai put in the effort.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Why? Do you think having all those things means you're guaranteed to win?

I remember you telling me at the TDL when I was lamenting Holland's inactivity that just making the playoffs is worthwhile because once you're in, anything can happen. Well, that "anything" includes good teams losing to inferior teams. It happens basically every season. That's hockey, it's not a character contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad