Rumor: Rumor & Proposals Thread XVII-- Last person to leave TO please turn off the lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The thing with BOS is that they have no cap room while we do.

Petry for Sproul
Fasth for Grossman
Schultz to TB for Connelly

Should help us tank this season and free up cap.

target#1 Hamilton 7.5M x 7 yrs offersheet

Should have offer sheeted Subban, I'm fine with doing it for Hamilton.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Boston would match on Hamilton, they'd dump Eriksson and who ever else they have to because Hamilton is their future on D.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Yeah somehow I doubt they'd be returning our calls anytime soon after that.

Depends on how McT handles it. He could give them ample warning and notice that he is going to do it and offer a trade instead of the offer sheet. He doesn't have to blindside them with it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Still think it's probable they would rather deal with anyone ahead of us just out of spite.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Probably not. Oilers now has really gone down hill in terms of content in the last year. Everyday the show turns into a walk down memory lane with outdated guests and pointless banter.

He has Friedman on pretty much at least once a week, that's hardly someone I'd call outdated.

Anyway, during their bit today Stauffer offered to him that the top suitors for Petry were Montreal, Tampa Bay, Chicago and Detroit. Friedman agreed with all of them but was hesitant about Chicago, he wasn't sure how serious their interest was.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Friedman also said "ANA" could also be interested in Petry.

He also said after talking to people he doesn't see Wings giving up Marchenko or Sproul for Petry or any rental

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Here's a thought.

Let's say team A is near the cap but wants to sign a specific talented UFA. This player would cost the team too much to fit under the cap however. Team B has plenty of cap space/money but is not interested in the player. Could Team B sign that player, and then trade the player to Team A while retaining a percentage of the salary in order to make it feasible for Team A? Would this be allowed under the CBA?

I suppose the league would likely just call it cap circumvention and fine the team money/draft picks, but interesting thought nonetheless. Not sure I'd be brave enough to try it.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

He also said after talking to people he doesn't see Wings giving up Marchenko or Sproul for Petry or any rental

Yeah thanks, I'd forgotten he'd mentioned Anaheim too. He did seem a bit unsure about their level of interest too, IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I think there'd be a pretty high chance of Petry resigning in Detroit but that's just me.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think there'd be a pretty high chance of Petry resigning in Detroit but that's just me.

Holland seems to be principled against the idea of giving a young, controlled asset for a rental. Imo it's just the hand he's dealt in Detroit though. He's got two aging elite players and he needs to set up his squad for after their retirement. I think that project has far more priority for them than going all in for another cup.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Should have offer sheeted Subban, I'm fine with doing it for Hamilton.

No thanks to offersheeting Subban.

Nurse, Draisaitl, 2015 1st and 2016 1st > Subban. Subban alone does not put Oilers over the top. Anything south of 7M, Montreal would match fairly easily at the time.

Hamilton I would considering the pieces we have now. 7M max though and Boston would easily match.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Petry will sign long term for any team that he gets traded to, that is my prediction. The guy is not greedy and has some loyalty so if he goes to a good winning situation he will resign if they want him even if Detroit would be his 1st choice. Since Detroit cannot make any overt moves for him before hand it is all pure spec he is going there for sure.

Divine Wind

Petry will sign long term for any team that he gets traded to, that is my prediction. The guy is not greedy and has some loyalty so if he goes to a good winning situation he will resign if they want him even if Detroit would be his 1st choice. Since Detroit cannot make any overt moves for him before hand it is all pure spec he is going there for sure.

I just can't see it. You go through your whole career working up to this point, and your first time that you are eligible for free agency, you pass it up? His dad was a pro baseball player, and i am sure he has advised him on the benefits of free agency.

Last edited by a moderator:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Boston would match on Hamilton, they'd dump Eriksson and who ever else they have to because Hamilton is their future on D.

It wouldnt be easy to match 7.5M long term for BOS considering the money they have tied up in Bergy\Krejci\Chara\Rask\Lucic (35M+). If they match they will cripple the depth.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
It wouldnt be easy to match 7.5M long term for BOS considering the money they have tied up in Bergy\Krejci\Chara\Rask\Lucic (35M+). If they match they will cripple the depth.

Really you could move Lucic and Chara fairly easily I would think.

Chara would be a darkhorse move this weekend even.

He's depreciating quickly and they could probably get a fairly nice return on him as compared to next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad