Speculation: Roy Interested in GM Job & Ready to Work with Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I wholeheartedly agree with your post, except for the bolded...
I mean, isn't that quite a bit ass-backwards?
Of course, you want your staff to be compatible with each other, but here it's really the Head Scout that has to be compatible with the GM, not the other way around.
I see it as an almost equal three way relationship (of the non kinky sort). It's all complementary and it needs to be as in synch as possible, in my book at least.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I see it as an almost three way relationship (of the non kinky sort). It's all complementary and it needs to be as in synch as possible, in my book at least.

That's what it is, but I don't think the GM gets chosen on the basis of the Head Scout; it's probably the other way around. The same way Gorton didn't get chosen on the basis of his compatibility with the future GM (okay it doesn't make sense since its Gorton himself that will pick the GM but you get the idea).

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Well there’s a reason for that one, as us old unable to change or think guys can tell you, it’s because he single handedly took two teams to Stanley Cups when they didn’t really deserve to be there - while winning 2 Conn Smythes with those cups. The last two this storied franchise ever saw.

I don’t define Bergevins tenure as one of fire at all… he started off with promise, with his “no excuses” mantra…. Which quickly got tossed out the window when things got tough, and even removed from the dressing room haha. No Bergevins time will be defined as a man who was given every goddamned opportunity possible and always managed to piss it away. Hired for nepotism instead of talent/ability. Traded for a Franco while giving away our best prospect at our most needed position. A man who could never see beyond the nose on his face and valued character over pure talent. He reacted rather than acted. There was some good moves along the way, but overall our development has been abysmal and we are far worse off after his decade at the helm.

Roy has the fire that doesn’t go out. He doesn’t waver, right or wrong, and I realize that’s a double edged sword but I think, and that’s just my opinion, adding that fire and proven winning pedigree to a more conservative builder type like Gorton, you’d have a nice mix of fire and ice. Just my 0.02$

Right, but even if you accept the deification of Roy based on what he did as a goalie 30 years ago, absolutely none of that translates to being a GM or any front office role.

And I don't see how people can criticize Bergevin for being "[h]ired for nepotism instead of talent/ability" or being "[a] man who could never see beyond the nose on his face and valued character over pure talent" or being someone that"reacted rather than acted" and in the same breath be pro bringing in Roy. That's describes Roy too. He's not an actual serious candidate for any GM role anywhere else. Even with a guy like Gorton there. But he's Roy so people will look passed his awful coaching tenure in Colorado, his public, selfish breakup with the Avs (and there almost immediate turnaround after he left), his sordid past, his tendency to use the media for his personal benefit and the fact he's never really demonstrated that he can be a part of a team instead of the leader of a team.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
AHL player that never played C in the NHL for a PPG winger and captain.

I guess draft positions don't mean anything to you. We should try to trade Gallagher for Turcotte because he's captain material and a 30 goal capable guy and Turcotte has never played in the NHL before.

Pretty sure 17th overall Peyton Krebs was the key piece with an injured 45 point per season Alex Tuch to get Jack Eichel - I bet we could have easily beaten that offer too, right?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Guy Carbonneau "The Habs need to honor their rich history and bring back it's glory".

This is before Guy Carbonneau heads to the Montreal Canadiens annual Food Drive outside the Bell Centre today where he'll be joined by about 88 former Habs players in their Habs jerseys"

Reactions: MXD

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I guess draft positions don't mean anything to you. We should try to trade Gallagher for Turcotte because he's captain material and a 30 goal capable guy and Turcotte has never played in the NHL before.

Pretty sure 17th overall Peyton Krebs was the key piece with an injured 45 point per season Alex Tuch to get Jack Eichel - I bet we could have easily beaten that offer too, right?
I guess you don't understand that we are talking about the time of trade. Suzuki would have been the start for patches given what he is on paper. It cost them a second to ditch Tatar because he was costing more than patches, wasn't playing well, AND we retained salary on max's 4.5 million AAV. How many top 5 goalscorers go for a single prospect? How many PPG captains go on the cheap?

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I guess you don't understand that we are talking about the time of trade. Suzuki would have been the start for patches given what he is on paper. It cost them a second to ditch Tatar because he was costing more than patches, wasn't playing well, AND we retained salary on max's 4.5 million AAV. How many top 5 goalscorers go for a single prospect? How many PPG captains go on the cheap?

94b82dafec9b095a2ce2cc503b63cdc2.png

Sorry, PPG? When? Let's not just keep repeating things and hope they become true - Max was a 35g player who could reasonably reach 40 with the right guys around him.

He also was traded with 1.5 seasons left on his deal (traded 17/18 - signed to a new deal 18/19) so you are not getting a king's ransom for a player that could walk away after a season and a playoff run.

How many top 5 goalscorers go for a single prospect? How many PPG captains go on the cheap?

Stone (who's better than Max) for Brannstrom and a 2nd - VGS wins trade

Panarin traded for Saad - CBJ won trade

ROR traded for picks and Tage Thompson - STL won trade

Kessel for Kapanen and a pick - PIT won trade

Hamilton for a 1st/2nd/2nd - CGY won trade

Eichel traded for Krebs and Tuch (Suzuki/Tatar is actually almost identical in terms of value and projection - Eichel is 10x the player Patches was) - Vegas wins this trade

The more pressing question is "How many top 5 goal scorers get traded" and the answer is next to none. Almost every time a really good star player is moved, the team moving them loses the traded (Zibanejad, Hall, everything above)

Montreal clearly won the trade getting Suzuki, and Tatar ended up being fantastic here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad