Speculation: Roy Interested in GM Job & Ready to Work with Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
OK if thats the case be ready to hate him in 3-5 years.

But to your points-
1 through 3 are mostly useless for the job he is suppose to be doing. Whoever is hired will already be more than aware of Montreals "uniqueness" as are 98% of HF habs forum.
4 may have some value, but he isn't the scout. Development will be on whoever is hired to do that, not the GMs job, just who they hire. (unless you want him solely in dev, not GM)
5....being in management you don't need passion, just a good head for crunching some numbers and finding available moves. Passion means rushing to decisions, because your heart tells you to.

6 Does Patrick Roy have a soft touch to get a deal done? NO a hard NO The other things you presented say otherwise. The best salesmen are charismatic, but not blowhards. Would you want trump managing the team and telling other GMs "you're fired!" when they don't do a deal because of personality conflicts?

I am not sure phillytennis's points 2 and 3 are valid: Roy handled Montreal pressure by mocking the fans and asking for a trade after allowing 9 goals against Detroit () - a one-off, frustration, maybe - but a leader doesn't bail on his team the way he did.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I am not sure phillytennis's points 2 and 3 are valid: Roy handled Montreal pressure by mocking the fans and asking for a trade after allowing 9 goals against Detroit () - a one-off, frustration, maybe - but a leader doesn't bail on his team the way he did.

So basically because Roy has been so successful, he's had some very public bad moments, you can always use the few bad moments for a personal attack?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Faque té un ti Tremblay du Lac han? Tu dois connaître ca gertrude tremblay de joliette ca veut dire :sarcasm:
LOL yeah I get those kind of jokes when I go to the states...Oh your from Canada EH, do you know John Carpenter in Toronto. No but I do like the director with the same name. Which is weird because many many americans come to Windsor for their 19th birthday as a rite of passage. They only live 5 minutes away, though some come from ohio or even chicago.They should know better.

Funny enough my wifes father is a viau from near sudbury and I have it on my dads side as well, however they are mostly from SW ontario, no immediate relation. However its my moms side that worries me. My grandparents were from Sudbury and Sturgeon Falls-for generations. We are in a city of 300,000 people yet our ancestors came from a population of a few thousand very close together far from here. I don't dare check all my moms family tree to find out. My sister did and it was that side of the family(in sturgeon falls) that made her husband a 4th cousin once removed. Not too close but for being 700 KM away its funny to still be somewhat related and meet up down here. But in a way its to be expected with the large french community that the windsor region once had. If you are moving south, might as well hit someplace you can communicate with.

Last edited:
Reactions: domiwroze

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
So basically because Roy has been so successful, he's had some very public bad moments, you can always use the few bad moments for a personal attack?
No it highlights his hot headedness. Negotiations can get heated and a forceful personality is not always a positive. Esp when dealing from a weaker position.

How well do you think thing will go if he tells Gorton to go screw his hat? How is the media going to spin it? These are things to look at BEFORE hiring someone. We didn't do that last time and it hurt us for a decade.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Ottawa may need a GM soon… maybe Roy should throw his hat in there is he’s serious about wanting a GM role, which I don’t think he is at all. He’s just stirring the pot.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ottawa may need a GM soon… maybe Roy should throw his hat in there is he’s serious about wanting a GM role, which I don’t think he is at all. He’s just stirring the pot.

Sens signed Dorion to a 3-year extension in September. Of course, that doesn't mean they can't fire him. But even if they do can Dorion, I believe McGuire will be named the next GM for the Sens.

Reactions: sandviper

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Sens signed Dorion to a 3-year extension in September. Of course, that doesn't mean they can't fire him. But even if they do can Dorion, I believe McGuire will be named the next GM for the Sens.
I agree peanuts went there with the knowledge that sooner or later he will be the Gm

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Carbo endorsing Roy as GM.

Just heard on TSN690 that Roy has the endorsement of Jacques Lemaire, Mario Tremblay, and Serge Savard to name a few.

Reactions: Kimota

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Oh, I must had missed that extension. I knew about McGuire being in line, though I do stand by my point that Roy I don’t think has a real, serious interest in being a GM at the NHL level.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
No it highlights his hot headedness. Negotiations can get heated and a forceful personality is not always a positive. Esp when dealing from a weaker position.

How well do you think thing will go if he tells Gorton to go screw his hat? How is the media going to spin it? These are things to look at BEFORE hiring someone. We didn't do that last time and it hurt us for a decade.

You are deep in the darkest "what ifs".

We can all agree that being hot-headedness is a risk. But it's not only a negative risk with how things have been going...

Wanting to win is an emotion first.

Reactions: hvac412

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Carbo being hot-headed...we need some of that, that's my argument.

The guy is nearly is crying.

It's what he's saying. Roy is as passionate running the Remparts as he was when he was playing. And Carbo would rather have someone like that getting the job.

He brings up that the Habs is an organization unlike any other. They have all those Stanley Cups and he doesn't want that part of their history shoved to the side. It is part of its history and it should be embraced. And Patrick is someone who will bring that kind of passion with him.

Reactions: Kimota

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Oh god Roy isn't good for a rebuilding team which I think the signing of Gorton signals. Why sign Gorton to a long term deal a person that helped the Rangers and Bruins rebuild if not to rebuild? Roy's hot headedness would just ruin what Gorton wants to get done. I rather it be some puppet like Briere then Roy who will have too much pride to back off to let Gorton do what needs to be done.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's what he's saying. Roy is as passionate running the Remparts as he was when he was playing. And Carbo would rather have someone like that getting the job.

He brings up that the Habs is an organization unlike any other. They have all those Stanley Cups and he doesn't want that part of their history shoved to the side. It is part of its history and it should be embraced. And Patrick is someone who will bring that kind of passion with him.
Passion can help you on the ice. In the GM role? Not so much.

I fully support him getting his number retired here. The way he left was awful but he earned that honour and it was right to give it to him.

But… that’s all we owe him.

He’s not owed anything beyond this. And quite frankly, his passion has always been a weakness off the ice. I don’t want some crazy guy who gets emotional when running the team. He’s shown himself to be emotionally immature on numerous occasions. Why the hell would you want a guy like that to run the team?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You are deep in the darkest "what ifs".

We can all agree that being hot-headedness is a risk. But it's not only a negative risk with how things have been going...

Wanting to win is an emotion first.
Wanting to win? His job is to BUILD a contender. That has nothing to do with emotions. It has to do with logic and understanding where blocks fit together, and why. The last Architect made this
01.jpg

A coach can have passion and want to win, The GM has to have cold logic and understanding of what meshes together to form a greater whole.
This house has some nice components, but it doesn't really function well as assembled.

Just try to use that wheelbarrow, and once you are done take a load off on that nice upside down bench.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He did not throw out this line.

He was self-reflective when he said it and the medias are misquoting him out of context.

The full quote is something like:

"Look, sometimes I say to myself, what do they have to lose to give me a shot"

He said it during a media scrum. He wasn’t casually thinking out loud and some reporter happened to be around.

That’s not the quote where he uses the cliché, this is:

« Depuis 1993 que ce club là tourne en rond, qu’est-ce que [le CH] a à perdre de me donner une chance de voir ce que je peux faire avec ce club-là »

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
For all this talk of being a great teammate Nilan, Carbo, Serge Savard and many others have said publicly, St Patrick just doesn’t work well with others, he’s great at what he does and tremendous drive to win.

Also has everyone forgotten he quit not only on the Habs, but on Team Canada when they wouldn’t guarantee a starting spot, on the Avs in training camp just prior to start of the season because he didn’t get his way with his boss Sakic, who’s reputation is that of a low key ultimate team first guy.

I understand people change, and Roy was always a student of the game as a player (well before players used to be like that), and determined to win - don’t you think teams would be willing to give away the farm to get someone like that in their orgs?

So why hasn’t one out of 32-teams done so? Why did Roy need to hire an agent last summer and publicize doing so to try to land an NHL gig?

And now we’re starting to get these daily planted leaks of how he’s been a collaborative manager with Les Remparts…. it reeks of desperation.

Last edited:

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
It wasn’t just that he had a bad moment. His inability to compromise, his recalcitrant behavior in the days that followed his “bad moment,” plunged the team in a world of hurt for many years afterwards.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
He said it during a media scrum. He wasn’t casually thinking out loud and some reporter happened to be around.

That’s not the quote where he uses the cliché, this is:

« Depuis 1993 que ce club là tourne en rond, qu’est-ce que [le CH] a à perdre de me donner une chance de voir ce que je peux faire avec ce club-là »

Agree... rebuild a winner with Patrick at the helm.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Roy... will set the tone for the organization...we would have an astute leader and competitor as GM.
Former Habs players know, this is it, if one of them don’t get this gig it’s game over and a new breed of management will permanently take over w the Habs - education level none of these former Habs can come close to matching and a more corporate type of approach they can’t hope to compete with.

Tough luck, there was a time all someone needed was a high school degree and hope to work your way up from the mailroom, those days have disappeared in regular life. The starting point now is an undergraduate degree and in many places a graduate degree (masters or in some cases PHD). The world is highly competitive and the bar will keep getting raised.

Many will fall by the wayside, which is unfortunate, but that should not prevent mankind from pushing the boundaries of innovation & growth

Simply take a look at the new owners coming into the NHL, all are former hedge fund types, who come from a world of high level of education with a heavy emphasis on analytics and each of their orgs are being transformed into trying to find that edge over the competition by use of analytics in addition to traditional hockey techniques…

Last edited:

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010

Just heard on TSN690 that Roy has the endorsement of Jacques Lemaire, Mario Tremblay, and Serge Savard to name a few.

All former Habs endorsing another former Hab.Haven't we had enough of this over the last 28 years.Time to clean house and get rid of the old boy's club finally.Talk like this wants to make me throw up

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Oh good the old boys club has spoken. The fact they played and were friends with him is not an endorsement I want. That was the same logic for MB, good buddy, friend of the show...yuck NO. Didn't Savard pick MB...that is how good his judgement is, and he got tossed aside right away by the very guy he picked. Tremblay is mending fences.
Give me Briere or Darche first, someone away from those dinosaurs.

Madden if I had to choose. You know based off an actual resume. Maybe he can change his name to Matton, see if that helps out.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
="salbutera, post: 181527825, member: 321073"]Former Habs players know, this is it, if one of them don’t get this gig it’s game over and a new breed of management will permanently take over w the Habs - education level none of these former Habs can come close to matching and a more corporate type of approach they can hope to compete with.

Tough luck, there was a time all someone needed was a high school degree and hope to work your way up from the mailroom, those days have disappeared in regular life. The starting point now is an undergraduate degree and in many places a graduate degree (masters or in some cases PHD). The world his highly competitive and the bar will keep getting raised.

Many will fall by the wayside, which is unfortunate, but that should not prevent mankind from pushing the boundaries of innovation & growth

I think this is part of it. They need "their guy" otherwise organizations might start to look outside of hockey players for managers. I made a joke earlier about John Scott, but its the fact the guy has a mechanical engineering degree. That is the kind of ex player I want, if we are going that route. A guy who showed he can understand patterns, crunch numbers, see a bigger picture. A guy that happen to have supernatural talent in one spot doesn't always equate to the best person for an entirely different kind of job. Wayne showed its not as simple as being the best hockey player to be a good manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad