Speculation: Roy Interested in GM Job & Ready to Work with Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Former Habs players know, this is it, if one of them don’t get this gig it’s game over and a new breed of management will permanently take over w the Habs - education level none of these former Habs can come close to matching and a more corporate type of approach they can hope to compete with.

Tough luck, there was a time all someone needed was a high school degree and hope to work your way up from the mailroom, those days have disappeared in regular life. The starting point now is an undergraduate degree and in many places a graduate degree (masters or in some cases PHD). The world his highly competitive and the bar will keep getting raised.

Many will fall by the wayside, which is unfortunate, but that should not prevent mankind from pushing the boundaries of innovation & growth

Simply take a look at the new owners coming into the NHL, all are former hedge fund types, who come from a world of high level of education with a heavy emphasis on analytics and each of their orgs are being transformed into trying to find that edge over the competition by use of analytics in addition to traditional hockey techniques…

Well said. Judging by some of the posters criticizing the importance of MBAs and promoting the “fire” in Roy, this old school thinking needs to just go away. The world has changed, and the NHL is changing.

FWIW, I’m not a millennial whining about boomers, gen-x’ers or anyone else over 50 needing to move aside. I am in the age group of these people who I don’t want to be given the job.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Loved him as a goalie and he is the sole reason I even became a Habs' fan.
As a GM, no thank you.

Has he been in the running for any of the GM vacancies that has been filled since he left Colorado?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I think this is part of it. They need "their guy" otherwise organizations might start to look outside of hockey players for managers. I made a joke earlier about John Scott, but its the fact the guy has a mechanical engineering degree. That is the kind of ex player I want, if we are going that route. A guy who showed he can understand patterns, crunch numbers, see a bigger picture. A guy that happen to have supernatural talent in one spot doesn't always equate to the best person for an entirely different kind of job. Wayne showed its not as simple as being the best hockey player to be a good manager.
People talk about Alexi Kovalev, well he once said most of his NHL coaches didn’t possess “the aptitude to think”…

Kovalev is an aeronautical engineer by training, fully certified pilot, now working his way though the hockey ranks. He said he wanted to start ground up from coaching, but goal is to become a GM. Habs would be wise to bring him into the fold in some way shape or form - these are the types who’ll be the next gen of GMs.

Not scared of being challenged by an analytics wiz kid or someone who proposes a new way of trying skills teaching or approach

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It's what he's saying. Roy is as passionate running the Remparts as he was when he was playing. And Carbo would rather have someone like that getting the job.

He brings up that the Habs is an organization unlike any other. They have all those Stanley Cups and he doesn't want that part of their history shoved to the side. It is part of its history and it should be embraced. And Patrick is someone who will bring that kind of passion with him.

Passion doesn't mean much when it doesn't bring results, which is the case of Roy in Quebec.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
People talk about Alexi Kovalev, well he once said most of his NHL coaches didn’t possess “the aptitude to think”…

Kovalev is an aeronautical engineer by training, fully certified pilot, now working his way though the hockey ranks. He said he wanted to start ground up from coaching, but goal is to become a GM. Habs would be wise to bring him into the fold in some way shape or form - these are the types who’ll be the next gen of GMs. Not scared or being challenged by an analytics wiz kid or someone who proposes a new way of trying skills teaching or approach
Exactly. Kovy would be an excellent candidate. His 'enigma' was hockey paid his bills but he had many other interests.

Mr Mom

Sep 17, 2014

Carbo endorsing Roy as GM.

Just heard on TSN690 that Roy has the endorsement of Jacques Lemaire, Mario Tremblay, and Serge Savard to name a few.

I'm just asking an honest question here and I believe that only 1 person knows the real answer.

Does Jeff Gorton care about other people's opinions for who he hires?

I really wonder this. Cause I really think that it's up to him and him alone.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Dude, the 65 and over crowd gets enough of a say in hockey media as it is :facepalm: If Roy is their candidate then it's all the more reason to look elsewhere in my book. Get someone who can be compatible with Gordon and the new head scout and who can bring this franchise into the 21st freaking century.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Well said. Judging by some of the posters criticizing the importance of MBAs and promoting the “fire” in Roy, this old school thinking needs to just go away. The world has changed, and the NHL is changing.

FWIW, I’m not a millennial whining about boomers, gen-x’ers or anyone else over 50 needing to move aside. I am in the age group of these people who I don’t want to be given the job.
Same, I am in the old timers group. But its a mentality shift we need, not simply me saying dinosaurs. They are dino because of what they still think about the sport, not about when they were born. Savard begat bergevin who thought grinding was the best way to win, this is literally 20 years out of date. Having passion is great on a date, not so much for making hard decisions.

Is this rookie working out, he has passion but not the skill? This guy has all kinds of skills but where is his drive? Maybe we take a balanced approach of a guy that complements what is here, or what we want to build towards. Maybe its option C that middle 6 guy who has drive and energy but needs a bit more refinement and confidence, he would compliment player X very well.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

That “fire” reminds me of MBs “character” statement… yeah as if someone will don a jersey and without appropriate skill or ability instantly transform themselves into a superhero.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

And to be fair, education sometimes get overrated as well. But we just had a decade of "fire" and old school thinking. The only reason a lot of people want Roy is that its Roy and he's gotten strangely deified by many in Quebec.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dude, the 65 and over crowd gets enough of a say in hockey media as it is :facepalm: If Roy is their candidate then it's all the more reason to look elsewhere in my book. Get someone who can be compatible with Gordon and the new head scout and who can bring this franchise into the 21st freaking century.

It’s not about age but how open minded and informed those who emit opinions, are. You can’t lump everyone on the same boat just because they are at some artificially designated age.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
To expand on what I said:
His record as GM - QMJHL
03-04 1st round loss
04-05 QF loss

His record as GM/HC - QMJHL
05-06 Finals loss + Mem Cup win (Radulov monster year)
06-07 Conference QF loss
07-08 Conference SF loss
08-09 Semifinal loss
09-10 Quarterfinal loss
10-11 Conference final loss
11-12 Quarterfinal loss
12-13 Quarterfinal loss
18-19 1st round loss
19-20 PO cancelled
20-21 Quarterfinal loss

His record as HC - NHL
13-14 1st round loss
14-15 DNQ
15-16 DNQ

He had success once in his career on the back of Radulov. The rest of the time, he's been the San Jose Sharks of the QMJHL, which is not really good when you have one of the easiest franchise to GM in the league (with Halifax) due to money and attraction power for Euros/Americans.

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It’s not about age but how open minded and informed those who emit opinions, are. You can’t lump everyone on the same boat just because they are at some artificially designated age.
I would base the hiring on pro management experience and compatibility with Gordon/new head scout, period. I'm only referring to age in the context of old timers from the franchise's glorious past who get to have a say every time the organization has to make a major decision. It isnt about them anymore and it never should be. I HATE it when the first reflex the local media has is to go'' I wonder what Lafleur, Savard, etc. thinks about this'' . It's one of my biggest pet peeves about this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: MXD

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
And to be fair, education sometimes get overrated as well. But we just had a decade of "fire" and old school thinking. The only reason a lot of people want Roy is that its Roy and he's gotten strangely deified by many in Quebec.
Education is simply a passport - the establishment of basic reference point to establish which candisates to even consider let alone further get to interview based on resume

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I would base the hiring on pro management experience and compatibility with Gordon/new head scout, period. I'm only referring to age in the context of old timers from the franchise's glorious past who get to have a say every time the organization has to make a major decision. It isnt about them anymore and it never should be. I HATE it when the first reflex the local media has is to go'' I wonder what Lafleur, Savard, etc. thinks about this'' . It's one of my biggest pet peeves about this team.
Self-preservation, the J de Mtl writers know these guys, have a relationship with them & inside track for info, which will help them keep their job and keep them relevant till retirement.

They don’t know jr woodchuck w an MBA, Law or STEM degree, don’t know how to relate to them and developing a relationship will take time.

I find it interesting the vast majority of LaPresse writers don’t seem to have any issue with the process, could it be they are younger, see and understand what the world is today and agree with reality? Whereas the J de Mtl writers all seem to be from the same period of Habs folklore…

Looking more & more like a LaPress vs J de Mtl cage match…for the hearts & minds of Habs fans

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM

Well there’s a reason for that one, as us old unable to change or think guys can tell you, it’s because he single handedly took two teams to Stanley Cups when they didn’t really deserve to be there - while winning 2 Conn Smythes with those cups. The last two this storied franchise ever saw.

I don’t define Bergevins tenure as one of fire at all… he started off with promise, with his “no excuses” mantra…. Which quickly got tossed out the window when things got tough, and even removed from the dressing room haha. No Bergevins time will be defined as a man who was given every goddamned opportunity possible and always managed to piss it away. Hired for nepotism instead of talent/ability. Traded for a Franco while giving away our best prospect at our most needed position. A man who could never see beyond the nose on his face and valued character over pure talent. He reacted rather than acted. There was some good moves along the way, but overall our development has been abysmal and we are far worse off after his decade at the helm.

Roy has the fire that doesn’t go out. He doesn’t waver, right or wrong, and I realize that’s a double edged sword but I think, and that’s just my opinion, adding that fire and proven winning pedigree to a more conservative builder type like Gorton, you’d have a nice mix of fire and ice. Just my 0.02$

Reactions: Kimota and Mr Mom

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's what he's saying. Roy is as passionate running the Remparts as he was when he was playing. And Carbo would rather have someone like that getting the job.

He brings up that the Habs is an organization unlike any other. They have all those Stanley Cups and he doesn't want that part of their history shoved to the side. It is part of its history and it should be embraced. And Patrick is someone who will bring that kind of passion with him.
To me it highlights how out of touch Carbo is.

Does anyone seriously believe that the Montreal Canadiens shove their history to the side or don't honor their rich history? Come on lol.

If anything, they're trapped by it, they're stuck in their traditional ways and trying to build their teams like their glory years.

This is 100% why I want nothing to do with a former Hab.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
100% agreed.

I always laugh when people suggest that we need more former Habs in the organization...as though the one's who cover the team and work as ambassadors aren't enough. We want more?

Ugghh...I can't stand it.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Exactly. Dino mentality isn't an age thing. Its "we have always done it this way, so we must continue to do it this way."

Reactions: Runner77

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
100% agreed.

I always laugh when people suggest that we need more former Habs in the organization...as though the one's who cover the team and work as ambassadors aren't enough. We want more?

Ugghh...I can't stand it.
Look how former players work out for the Oilers, a big no thanks for me. Good Lord, its not a freaking country club, its the best league in the world, hire on merit, period.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Look how former players work out for the Oilers, a big no thanks for me. Good Lord, its not a freaking country club, its the best league in the world, hire on merit, period.
That's why you get former Habs championing for Roy...they want access to the club, perhaps even a position down the line.

Thankfully, I don't think Gorton is going to fall into this trap.

Reactions: Runner77 and MXD

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That's why you get former Habs championing for Roy...they want access to the club, perhaps even a position down the line.

Thankfully, I don't think Gorton is going to fall into this trap.
They are scared of no longer being relevant… they’re used to the spotlight, and fear the bulb will burn out and never be replaced

Ever hear Ken Dryden utter any of those things? Why? Life after hockey…

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

I wholeheartedly agree with your post, except for the bolded...
I mean, isn't that quite a bit ass-backwards?
Of course, you want your staff to be compatible with each other, but here it's really the Head Scout that has to be compatible with the GM, not the other way around.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad