GDT: ROUND THREE | GAME THREE | Penguins vs Senators | 8:00 p.m. EST | CBC, NBCSN

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I expect if any of Hornqvist, Rust, or Schultz are remotely close to being healthy then they'll be in the lineup for next game. Not a panic situation just yet for the Pens, but even if those 3 are injured, they make the Pens better than what they iced tonight.

Can't see Game 4 going the same way as tonight.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I predicted Sens in 5 or 6. My prediction still stands and I'm starting to lean towards 5 more than 6.

The Pens defense suck, and their big advantage in this series is supposed to be their supposedly unstoppable offense led by Crosby/Malkin and Co. But so far they have 3 goals in 3 games. Anderson has upped his play tremendously while the goaltending situation is now in chaos on PIT's side with MAF getting yanked tonight. Pittsburgh is obviously rattled and Ottawa is getting in their heads with timely physical play. Pens key players are obviously playing frustrated and Ottawa's defense is doing a great job of minimizing quality scoring chances for the most part and keeping the opposition to the perimeter. When good chances do happen, Andy is coming up with key saves.

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Pittsburgh in this series. I'm laughing out loud at all the arrogant **** talking from Pens fans/rest of HF giving no respect to Ottawa. If PIT loses the next game they're in big trouble.

Anderson looks like a whole new goalie in this series.

In fact, he has played better ever since his wife and kids were in the stands watching him play in game 6 of the Rangers series i believe.

Hopefully he keeps it up.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Anderson looks like a whole new goalie in this series.

In fact, he has played better ever since his wife and kids were in the stands watching him play in game 6 of the Rangers series i believe.

Hopefully he keeps it up.

I've noticed that Andy has been much better at playing the puck, too. It's on his stick and off his stick fast and the D are doing well at allowing him to be quick.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Had to watch the game on delay.

That Hoffman penalty really pissed me off. What was he thinking, cost Anderson the shutout tonight.

Overall, happy with this game though :D

Senotaur

Jan 9, 2007
Los Angeles
www.youtube.com
All those years we had amazing teams and couldn't come through in the playoffs. It was often a lower seeded Leafs or Buffalo team that beat us and it seemed like they just willed it to happen. The got bounces, they got crazy goaltending, made it hard to get a shot on net. They just found ways to win.

It's pretty fun being on the other side of that right now.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Was at the game, I thought we were a pretty loud crowd! Was trying to get a "We want pizza" chant going after the 5th goal, but not sure people got it.

- Great games from Marc "I don't often pinch, but when I do..." Methot who deserved a star, Anderson, Ryan, and all the grinders: Pyatt, Stalberg, etc.

- Pageau's awareness on the ice was fun to watch. There was a play where he made a nice move to keep the puck in the O-zone.

- Phaneuf doing Phaneuf things: that's something we've missed in past playoffs, and it's good to have someone who can annoy the heck out of the other team's forwards.

- Claesson impressive again. Great combo of size and skill. Would shine even brighter with a better linemate than Wideman.

- Slightly disappointed by Karlsson and Stone, but I'm sure they'll bounce back. Nice to see the coach managing Karlsson's ice time late into the game (thankful he wasn't on the ice when the Penguins started looking for trouble late in the game), and I think he could have done even more by sitting him during some of the PPs with the score way out of reach. In fact, not sure I agree with using Karlsson and Hoff on the point when we're leading by 4 or 5 goals. Karlsson takes some chances on the PP that make sense when the score is close, but in a blow out just make the safe play. Wideman had apparently about 11 minutes of icetime, and I think the PP is where we could use him more (I realize he did play there, just not enough IMO). The problem is that you still need to pair him with a mobile RD, and we just don't have that right now. Hopefully problem solved next year with Chabot!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Had to watch the game on delay.

That Hoffman penalty really pissed me off. What was he thinking, cost Anderson the shutout tonight.

Overall, happy with this game though :D

Interesting that he pretty much got scored on the same way he got scored on in game 1. A deflection that goes through his five hole.

Deserved the shutout. Too bad.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The Crosby/Karlsson pays for Grindr/Tinder is the same damn thing. Being overly sensitive to the joke just shows your homophobia and/or uncomfortable state with gay jokes if you can't treat them equally. The joke is that an athlete/celebrity pays for attention. Long has been the speculation that Crosby is gay because of his reclusiveness (and honestly who cares). If Crosby wanted to use Grindr, he wouldn't have to pay, he's very good looking just like Karlsson. It was a harmless joke, don't make it out to be some attack on the LGBT community.

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Was working tonight so I was only catching the highlights and freaking out for that first period. It may be odd but was anyone nervous after the first? We have learned that no lead is safe in these playoffs so I was just waiting for Pittsburgh to get a quick goal and the momentum in their corner. That didn't happen because mostly because Anderson made some timely saves in the second and third. Obviously everyone has hit on it, the guy looks like he is playing with a game genie right now. We need a few more because you know the Pens are going to be coming out hard.

I think the thing I love about the win tonight is that it wasn't dominated by a particular player. 5 goal scorers. That's how this team operates, every once and a while we get a dominant offensive performance but this team is all about balance. It's hard to shut a team like that down long enough to knock them down. Time to step on the throat on Friday!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
All those years we had amazing teams and couldn't come through in the playoffs. It was often a lower seeded Leafs or Buffalo team that beat us and it seemed like they just willed it to happen. The got bounces, they got crazy goaltending, made it hard to get a shot on net. They just found ways to win.

It's pretty fun being on the other side of that right now.

This is so, so true. Well said.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The Crosby/Karlsson pays for Grindr/Tinder is the same damn thing. Being overly sensitive to the joke just shows your homophobia and/or uncomfortable state with gay jokes if you can't treat them equally. The joke is that an athlete/celebrity pays for attention. Long has been the speculation that Crosby is gay because of his reclusiveness (and honestly who cares). If Crosby wanted to use Grindr, he wouldn't have to pay, he's very good looking just like Karlsson. It was a harmless joke, don't make it out to be some attack on the LGBT community.

Sorry, but Crosby is not "good-looking". He has an ugly-ass horseface and I'm not sure how you can even mention him in the same sentence as Greek God Karlsson

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
For a moment I read yours as "I'm going to bring the baby out". :laugh:

Tenacity can get you real far especially if you have some decent skills to go with it. Every fan on HF that is currently saying "that could have been us" or other garbage is playinf NHL 17 and line-up paper watching. They have no clue as to how sport championchips work other than my paper looks better than yours.

Oh please goodness no... no baby yet!!!

Although it is hilarious wherever I watch hockey this baby kicks like crazy!

I totally agree though. It is hilarious reading people say that could easily be us. Well did you beat the teams you had to play?? No? Then, no that couldn't be you. Sorry. The game isn't won in the regular season, it's about what you do in the playoffs. You don't bring it when it matters, you don't deserve ****!

That all being said, this is still a close series and we need to keep that fire and determination going. I expect another tough game Friday night and we need to get in Murray's face and be hard-hitting, first on the puck, defensively sound with a dash of offense.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I love the attitude of the team and Boucher post-game. No big woohoo, very much a stay the course attitude - this win is nice but the next game will be tougher, lots of work left. It's not just the words but the demeanor they are carrying. Unlike anything any Sen team has had before.

That is the first thing I noticed when the game was done. Andy pulling back Phaneuf. Just watch their faces just after that game. It's insane! Look at the 3 stars coming out, sheer determination and fire in those eyes.

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
ROFL Dude your GDT made me spit out my morning coffee hah.

L8iK3jN.png

8FUAfwu.png

0pXoDas.png

c1W51En.png

j3n4V7q.png

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Penguins are just about done. They don't have the heart or work ethic this year to actually battle through the 1-3-1 muck to score goals. They expected an easy ride, and are falling apart when it isn't handed to them on a silver platter.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Kudo to our 6 dman tonight. They were all very good.
It's like they are on a mission.
When Kessel is on the ice, Phaneuf is right in his face. That's his guy to look.
When Crosby is on the ice, Karlsson is right on him. Always near and he win almost every battle .
Methot ice a force physically, Ceci look very engage and he also won a lot of puck battle against Crosby.
Claesson's physical game has gone up and broke a lot of play. Wideman is moving the puck well.

Kudo to the support of our forward also.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Penguins are just about done. They don't have the heart or work ethic this year to actually battle through the 1-3-1 muck to score goals. They expected an easy ride, and are falling apart when it isn't handed to them on a silver platter.

Hope the players don't share this mentality. This is the kind of thinking that gets you in trouble. We need to win tomorrow and put our feet squarely on their throats.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Hope the players don't share this mentality. This is the kind of thinking that gets you in trouble. We need to win tomorrow and put our feet squarely on their throats.

Exactly.

Sens fans getting way ahead of themselves. There's a reason NHL playoffs is a 7 game series

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
As was Perry. Matthew that is.

Mathew Perry is not a late bandwagon jumper he's been a Sens supporter for a long time although as an American born dual citizen I believe he also supports one of the Cal teams.

On a side note I know Perry wanted to play Oscar on his recently ended remake show "The odd Couple" likely to break the mold of his previous roles but if he hadn't gone against "type" his show would probably still be on. He was a natural fit for the Felix role.

-----

Love Phaneuf's physical game in these playoffs!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kudo to our 6 dman tonight. They were all very good.
It's like they are on a mission.
When Kessel is on the ice, Phaneuf is right in his face. That's his guy to look.
When Crosby is on the ice, Karlsson is right on him. Always near and he win almost every battle .
Methot ice a force physically, Ceci look very engage and he also won a lot of puck battle against Crosby.
Claesson's physical game has gone up and broke a lot of play. Wideman is moving the puck well.

Kudo to the support of our forward also.

Ceci barely played against Crosby (unless you mean on the PK?). He was heavily matched up against Malkin, while Karlsson was all over Crosby.

RealSpartan

Nov 2, 2016
Respect the opposition. Last night was fun but it's only one win.

Assume Pitt's going to come out with unprecedented ferocity in game 4. They're on the mat after last night... do NOT let them back up.

I was at that game yesterday. Oh man the throat is sore today.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Respect the opposition. Last night was fun but it's only one win.

Assume Pitt's going to come out with unprecedented ferocity in game 4. They're on the mat after last night... do NOT let them back up.

I was at that game yesterday. Oh man the throat is sore today.
Agree, but we thought the same thing for game 2, and Pitt didn't really come out nearly as desperate looking as we thought. They crushed us in the 3rd, but we were flat there.

Pitt may indeed turn it around, but they look spent to me. The gas light is on and I don't know how many more pushes they have in them. They have the look of a great team than is feeling the effects of injury and a short off-season. But maybe a strategic change gives them more free space and they look like a new team in game 4, who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad