Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 106: Matthew Strome, LW, Hamilton (OHL)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I did not want the Flyers to select him due to his poor skating. But at this point of the draft I am ok with this.

Poor skating seems like something Hextall is willing to work with. Strome, Lindblom, Allison.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Strome's worst ranking was 76 and his best was 29. The Flyers got him at 106. Some of you will complain about anything.

Ranked #29 by Future Considerations
Ranked #33 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #56 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #58 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #59 by TSN/McKenzie
Ranked #76 by Hockeyprospect.com

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
For whatever it's worth he has really good 5v5 numbers.

40 points
35 primary
24 goals

Entwistle got more hype, but Strome outscored him by quite a bit.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hopefully he isn't as soft as his brother Dylan.

No, he's pretty physical, will fill guys in with hard checks. I see him on local cable here in Hamilton, and a few live games each year. His skating needs work for sure, but he's got excellent hockey sense and hands. Amazing passing touch around the net too, finds teammates well. Comparable to Patrick Maroon in that if his skating picks up, he's an NHLer for sure.

I like the pick.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Cool with it. If they can perform magic and get his skating up to par, then this pick will be money. It's the type of chance you take in Rd 4.
Hextall and Co are having a really strong draft.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Even if he improves his skating a bit, to reasonable slow? Solid 3rd liner likely.

There are other slow guys in speed, but as is the Strome curse, he has a habit of playing slow too. Everyone is trying to improve their skating, so he needs to improve it at a higher rate even. It's not just first strides, it's everything.

For whatever it's worth he has really good 5v5 numbers.

40 points
35 primary
24 goals

Entwistle got more hype, but Strome outscored him by quite a bit.

Entwistle was in the bottom 6 all year though. Strome got the best linemates, like Bitten.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Great value according to rankings, family name, just needs to work on skating. I'm happy with this pick. Skating can be worked on, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully it works out. Just glad we got a guy with high upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad