Marlies GDT: Round 2, Game 7: Toronto vs. Albany 7:30 PM

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I started reading this thread around 9:30 last night. First few posts were "we're Done" and "get Clune away from Sosh"

Some refuted the "we're done claim" (good on you SEER et al) but a half hour later the Marlies win with Clune scoring the GWG.

Awesome.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I understand your point and I think Marner would handle himself fine. But he would be going from a boys league to a men's league and his chance of being injured would be increased. If he were to get injured right now, his summer could be ruined, and it is the most important summer he will have. Maybe you don't see it this way, but it definitely has to be in the thought process. The benefit of playing one series is not as big as the benefit of bulking up this summer, IMO.

He could get hurt at any time.

What if he has a good summer but gets hurt in his 1st pre-season game?

You can't manage players on expectation of them getting injured.

There's zero reason to believe Marner couldn't handle the pace of the AHL playoffs.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Awesome motto. I think the Caps would have been good to use it. :laugh:

:laugh: It is a great motto though. It's good to know the team isn't resting on their laurels because of a fantastic regular season.

Was at the game yesterday. While I've been to several Marlies games and the crowds have always been loud and fun, last night was a whole other level of loud. Couldn't even hear the goal announcements for goals 2 and 4 in particular. And of all the times I've been to a Marlies game, I couldn't tell you for certain if they even have a goal song - it's honestly so loud in there that I never hear it, haha.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I started reading this thread around 9:30 last night. First few posts were "we're Done" and "get Clune away from Sosh"

Some refuted the "we're done claim" (good on you SEER et al) but a half hour later the Marlies win with Clune scoring the GWG.

Awesome.

I didn't post it but I sure did think it. I think I may be suffering from "Beaten Leaf Fan Syndrome" or BLFS. It affects other parts of my sporting life as well. Before the Raptors even start a game 7 I write them off and then leading by over 20 points in the 4th - they will still lose. When they won the game my first thought was - well they will just be cannon fodder for Cleveland.

Even when Rich Clune scored the goal I was thinking - what a heartbreaking lose this is going to be. I have got so used to watching my team lose that it has become expected.

Watching the Marlies win will hopefully be a start down the road to recovery.(I would say Raptors to but they are just going to be cannon fodder for Cleveland:))

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
He could get hurt at any time.

What if he has a good summer but gets hurt in his 1st pre-season game?

You can't manage players on expectation of them getting injured.

There's zero reason to believe Marner couldn't handle the pace of the AHL playoffs.

Well we'll see if they stick him in there soon enough I guess!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Marlies rally in third to knock out Albany

Rich Clune caps wild third period as Marlies advance in Calder Cup playoffs.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2016/05/16/marlies-rally-in-third-to-knock-out-albany.html

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Mon., May 16, 2016

That is awesome! Im glad for him and I'm glad the Marlies are still playing. Great experience for our young guys.

Anyone else really pumped for Rich Clune?

Guy doesn't have the natural skill but he grinds it out
Local kid that was non tendered - works hard and earns an nhl deal with his home town team
Scores the game 7 winner with like 2 mins to go - the celly shows it all.

way to go bud.

He's definitely a fun guy to watch and is extremely blunt haha. Watching him live or when he is about to head to the dressing room, he always looks pissed that he has to do more or something :laugh:

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Sorry, that's what they showed on TV (stream) immediately after the game. I guess they adjusted the schedule to a more logical one. :)

What they showed on the stream/TV was the next game at Ricoh (aka the next home game for the Marlies) on May 25th, which is correct if you look at the previously posted schedule.

It's not immediately obvious, but seeing as the stream was showing the feed from the jumbotron in Ricoh, so it would be kind of weird for them to be advertising a game that wasn't at the Ricoh (aka Game 1 of the series).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad