Marlies GDT: Round 2, Game 7: Toronto vs. Albany 7:30 PM

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Round 2, Game 7: Toronto vs. Albany

By Sherry Jean, Posted on May 16, 2016

marlies15-16_playoffs_rd2gm7_preview1024x512-768x384.jpg

Game 7 of the Round 2 series between the Toronto Marlies and Albany Devils is set for tonight at 7pm at Ricoh Coliseum. Catch all of the action on RogersTV and TSN1050. The Albany Devils defeated the Toronto Marlies in Game 6 to even up the series 3-3 on Saturday afternoon in Toronto.

Game 6 Summary:

Kasperi Kapanen recorded his second goal of the post season, 10:45 into the second period.
Stuart Percy assisted on the Kapanen tally, his second assist of the post season.
Viktor Loov collected the secondary assist on the Kapanen goal, his third point of the playoffs.

Puck drop is at 7:30pm on RogersTV and TSN1050. Don’t forget to follow the Marlies on Twitter and tune in to our #MarliesLive chat.

Marlies look to bounce back in Game 7 against Albany

By Lance Hornby, Toronto Sun

First posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 11:12 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, May 15, 2016 11:15 PM EDT

Bitter memories

For a few Marlies, incentive to win goes back a lot further than Game 6.

Defenceman Stu Percy and centre Sam Carrick were on the teams that lost a deciding Game 5 opening round series in Grand Rapids last year and Game 7 to the Texas Stars in 2014 that would have meant a Calder Cup final berth.

“Both of those games were on the road,†noted Percy. “It’s great to have this at home. I’m sure the building will be rocking. If you told us all we had to do was win one at the beginning of this series, I’m sure we’d take that.â€

Monday will be Carrick’s 34th playoff game for the Marlies, leading all active teammates.

“Finishing first, there are always expectations to go far. But we’re not trying to think of that right now. We’re playing (a series) that could very well be the final in any other league, one and two (in the conference). This is the series we have to get through if we want to win anything.

“It’s games like this you find out what kind of player you are and what kind of team you have.

Hard choices

Keefe said four Marlies were game-time decisions on Saturday and with only one extra allowed to skate in the warm-up, it complicates the final call. Nikita Soshnikov was one of those scratches at Sunday’s optional skate and with four goals in five games and some dogged defence, he’d be a welcome addition at wing on Monday. Soshnikov is believed to have an upper-body issue. Frederik Gauthier and Tobias Lindstrom are in reserve at forward.

“When you get to this point in a series, some decisions are made for you,†Keefe said. “We have a number of (nagging injuries) with our team. We continue to sort through that and (Albany) is doing the same thing. They came at us yesterday with some healthy fresh legs.

“You never put a guy in the lineup who can hurt himself or hurt the team. If they’re feeling good, you put them in the deck.â€

Welcome Matt?

Keefe agreed the Matt Frattin case is “uniqueâ€.

As property of the Ottawa Senators via the Dion Phaneuf trade, the winger was a healthy scratch in the three games in Albany after a late season injury. He returned in Game 6 when Soshnikov was ailing, when the optics might have favoured giving the playing time to a Leafs prospect.

“It’s a delicate situation no doubt,†Keefe said. “But he’s also a guy who played a lot for the Marlies this year, more than most of the guys who’ve played every day (in playoffs). So he’s part of our team, our leadership group (an alternate captain) and an available resource.â€

Nylander on the spot

With Kasperi Kapanen having some scoring success the past couple of games, it might be a good sign for fellow first rounder and centreman William Nylander.

The Marlies’ most dynamic forward when he gets time and space, Nylander has been bottled up much of this series and twice Keefe called him out to raise his battle readiness.

“Willy will come through, I know he will,†Kapanen said. “He’s an outstanding player who thrives under pressure, just like me. We just have to make our line work. I got my role, Willy’s got his and Zach (Hyman) has got his. We’ve been playing well. Everyone has to step up our game.â€

Ice Chips

Frattin would like to have a role in Game 7 after being in the loss to Grand Rapids last May, missing the Game 7 breakaway in Boston that might have iced the Maple Leafs win over the Bruins in 2013 ... Devils coach Rick Kowalsky said the advantages of his team being older, bigger and more physical than the Marlies might have been true at the start of the AHL playoffs, but no longer. “We’re missing Dan Kelly, Jim O’Brien and (maybe) Mike Sislo and Brian O’Neill. But they have Fattin, Rich Clune and Brennan, guys who’ve been through situations†... When facing elimination games in the Ricoh era, the Marlies are 7-7.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Heads on a swivel sticks on the ice put the puck in the net boys!
Let's take the devils by the tail!

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Need to put pucks on the net and cash in on chances.
Albany can keep the chances to the outside and limit high end scoring opportunies- if firing on all cylinders the Marlies can find the leaks on Devils D. 5on5 play needs to step up - controlling the play doesn't seem to be a problem though, finishing chances and keeping the pressure up is a must.

Expecting a big response game from C.Carrick.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Willy has only 14 shots in his 8 games with 5 points. I will just assume that if his compete level is deemed not adequate by Keefe and management he will be in for a rude awakening come training camp.

Babcock already told him when he was up that he needed to compete harder. Is he competing hard for the Marlies?

I hope he digs down for us if he isn't 100% and helps us win today regardless. We need him.

Nylander has been performing well below expectations and his capabilities in the playoffs, but he has a chance to redeem himself with a big effort tonight leading the Marlies to a big game 7 win.

The Marlies were a dominant regular season team that are the favourites to win this years Cup. A loss in round #2 would be a disastrous ending after such high expectations with a lot of finger pointing as to what went wrong. Some of those fingers will be pointing Willies way and I'm sure he knows that.

I'm expecting him to bring his "A game" today and be a game star as Marlies advance.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the GDT, Budsfan..!

#ConquerCalder: Toronto Marlies 2016 Playoff Tribute/Pump - TML

GO MARLIES GO !!

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Two Division titles claimed... Two left to grab...

2016 AHL PLAYOFFS - SECOND ROUND - DIVISION FINALS

297572_orig.png
VS
albany_devils_logo.jpg

North Division Finals – Series “J” (best-of-7)
N1-Toronto Marlies vs. N2-Albany Devils

Series Tied 3-3
Game 1 – Wed., May 4 – Albany 2, Toronto 1
Game 2 – Fri., May 6 – Toronto 5, Albany 3
Game 3 – Sun., May 8 – Toronto 2, Albany 3 O.T.
Game 4 – Tue., May 10 – Toronto 7, Albany 2
Game 5 – Thu., May 12 – Toronto 5 at Albany 1
Game 6 – Sat., May 14 – Albany 4, Toronto 1
Game 7 – Mon., May 16 – Albany at Toronto, 7:30

Central Division Finals – Series “K” (best-of-7)
C2-Lake Erie Monsters vs. C4-Grand Rapids Griffins

Lake Erie Leads Series, 3-2
Game 1 – Thu., May 5 – Lake Erie 3, Grand Rapids 2 (OT)
Game 2 – Sat., May 7 – Lake Erie 4, Grand Rapids 3
Game 3 – Sun., May 8 – Lake Erie 2, Grand Rapids 1
Game 4 – Tue., May 10 – Lake Erie 4, Grand Rapids 5
Game 5 – Sat., May 14 – Grand Rapids 6, Lake Erie 1
Game 6 – Mon., May 16 – Lake Erie at Grand Rapids, 7:00
*Game 7 – Tue., May 17 – Grand Rapids at Lake Erie, 7:00

Pacific Division Finals – Series “J” (best-of-7)
P1-Ontario Reign vs. P2-San Diego Gulls

Ontario Wins Series & Division Title, 4-1
Game 1 – Thu., May 5 – Ontario 5, San Diego 3
Game 2 – Sat., May 7 – Ontario 2, Sand Diego 1 (OT)
Game 3 – Sun., May 8 – San Diego 3, Ontario 0
Game 4 – Fri., May 13 – Ontario 4, San Diego 3
Game 5 – Sat., May 14 – San Diego 1, Ontario 2

Atlantic Division Finals – Series “I” (best-of-7)
A1-Hershey Bears vs. A3-Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

Hershey Wins Series & Division Title, 4-3
Game 1 – Wed., May 4 – W-B/Scranton 4, Hershey 0
Game 2 – Fri., May 6 – Hershey 2, W-B/Scranton 0
Game 3 – Sat., May 7 – Hershey 5, W-B/Scranton 2
Game 4 – Mon., May 9 – Hershey 1, W-B/Scranton 2 (O.T.)
Game 5 – Wed., May 11 – Hershey 5, W-B/Scranton 3
Game 6 – Fri., May 13 – Hershey 2, W-B/Scranton 6
Game 7 – Sun., May 15 – W-B/Scranton 2, Hershey 3 (O.T.)

SEER

Sep 21, 2015

So glad Sosh is going to be in this one... I think that Willy, Sosh, Brennan, Hyman, C. Carrick & Brown
all need to score in this one...

It's going to be the toughest game they have had all season..!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Marlies say they're ready for Game 7 against Devils

Coach Sheldon Keefe has no problem using Matt Frattin, who is property of the Ottawa Senators, ahead of genuine Maple Leafs prospects.

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
10:07 AM, Mon., May 16, 2016

It will be the biggest hockey game played in these parts for some time. Game 7. Second round, Calder Cup playoffs. Toronto Marlies vs. Albany Devils. The winner advances; the loser goes home.

"It's exciting," said Marlies defenceman T.J. Brennan. "Any hockey at this time of year is exciting. At the start, both teams were prepared for a long series. We knew it wasn't going to be easy.

"It's funny how you play a whole series and it goes back and forth and it comes down to one game."

The journey through the playoffs is a journey through adversity. The Marlies have faced some of that adversity, and will be drawing on it Monday night.

"Both teams are in the same boat," said Marlies coach Sheldon Keefe. "For both teams, their seasons can end. Teams will be desperate. The pressure is on both teams and because of that you get the absolute best from both teams.

"Or maybe you don't. Sometimes players and teams don't respond well. But we feel confident about our group."

The Marlies have not lost two games in a row in the playoffs. But they were down two-games-to-one earlier in this series in Albany.

"When you're down 2-1 to the best team in the leauge on home ice, you can start to doubt yourself a little bit," said Keefel. "Instead of folding, the team got better. We'll be calling on that here in Game 7."

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Wow.
I hope he does, and scores the game winning hat trick.

:facepalm: Tobias Lindberg is not Andreas Johnson. :facepalm:

He provides much needed size. Most of our forwards are undersized and has hard time cycling

We need some board and net presence.

I am ok with Clune not playing tonight. We need more skills and size.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
He provides much needed size. Most of our forwards are undersized and has hard time cycling

We need some board and net presence.

I am ok with Clune not playing tonight. We need more skills and size.

Most game 7s are all business. I don't expect a whole lot of dirty/rough stuff tonight. Which is perfect for the Marlies team

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Really hoping Nylander finally shows up. A loss tonight would be absolutely disastrous.

lol no it wouldn't, it's the AHL playoffs.

Plus, just because you are the best team, it doesn't mean you will win a 7 game series (relatively small sample size), just ask the Ovi-era Caps.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
lol no it wouldn't, it's the AHL playoffs.

Plus, just because you are the best team, it doesn't mean you will win a 7 game series (relatively small sample size), just ask the Ovi-era Caps.

You're right, it's definitely better that these guys go home and start their vacation right away.

What the heck kind of mentality is this, anyway. Absolutely embarrassing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad