Marlies GDT: Round 2, Game 7: Toronto vs. Albany 7:30 PM

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I was questioned by another Leaf fan about this. So Marner's still eligible to join the Marlies once his CHL season is over right? I thought so but I'm not positive.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was questioned by another Leaf fan about this. So Marner's still eligible to join the Marlies once his CHL season is over right? I thought so but I'm not positive.

Technically eligible, yes. But since his season won't be over for a little while, it's doubtful he plays for the Marlies if they make it to the Finals.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Technically eligible, yes. But since his season won't be over for a little while, it's doubtful he plays for the Marlies if they make it to the Finals.

The Memorial cup final is the same day as game 5 of this round 3 series. Yeah he won't play right away but if we make the Calder Cup final Marner playing or not playing will have nothing to do with his CHL season which will have been over for a week by then

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Memorial cup final is the same day as game 5 of this round 3 series. Yeah he won't play right away but if we make the Calder Cup final Marner playing or not playing will have nothing to do with his CHL season which will have been over for a week by then

He can join the Marlies, practice and all that, and he likely will... But I'd be extremely surprised if he plays one game these playoffs. It's a little too late now to disrupt the lines and chemistry.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That doesn't really have to do with his season though, that would have to do with keeping the team the same/not thinking he'd have time to be ready.

I disagree though. Marner comes here he's one of the best players on the team. I doubt he would see a game 6 or 7 in this 3rd round series but I would be shocked if they didn't play him in the finals if they make it that far.

The lines have been and are being changed almost every game, you ice your best team, you don't leave one of your best players out of the lineup after he's had a week getting used to group because Sam Carrick is used to playing with Colin Smith. Marner is clearly better than the 3rd line wingers. Give him some time to get acclimated to the group and he gets in a game easy.

Some people said the same thing about Johnson and he got in and might have been our best forward in the game and a period before he got decked.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Some people said the same thing about Johnson and he got in and might have been our best forward in the game and a period before he got decked.

Exactly the thing we do not want to happen to Marner. Is it really worth it? Maybe if we lose a couple games to start the finals, but I doubt they throw him in at all.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Exactly the thing we do not want to happen to Marner. Is it really worth it? Maybe if we lose a couple games to start the finals, but I doubt they throw him in at all.

With Babcock's comments during Dreger's interview about his off-season being more important than the Memorial Cup tournament. I don't see them putting him in the AHL playoffs.

I would guess they'd give him a break so he can get tohis off-season work as soon as possible.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm kinda surprised we haven't heard anything about Timashov joining the group to practice like Nielsen and Dermott(besides that 1 game), I don't expect him to play but being around the team like the other guys would be a good experiance.

so we don't play him because he could get hurt? Guess we shouldn't play him next year either. I mean if playing him now is meaningless then what isn't? Getting into a Calder Cup winning group would be good for him, especially with the group that will be a bunch of his NHL teammates when he does make it. Maybe we should call London and make sure they keep him out of the Memorial Cup too so he doesn't get hurt. Winning a champiosnhip doesn't really mean anything in the long run for him, no reason to risk it.

Lets take out Nylander too in case he could get hurt. That logic just doesn't make sense to me. He's eligible, he's good enough, the exact same logic could be applied to anyone, literally any year unless you expect you can win a Stanley Cup.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That doesn't really have to do with his season though, that would have to do with keeping the team the same/not thinking he'd have time to be ready.

I disagree though. Marner comes here he's one of the best players on the team. I doubt he would see a game 6 or 7 in this 3rd round series but I would be shocked if they didn't play him in the finals if they make it that far.

The lines have been and are being changed almost every game, you ice your best team, you don't leave one of your best players out of the lineup after he's had a week getting used to group because Sam Carrick is used to playing with Colin Smith. Marner is clearly better than the 3rd line wingers. Give him some time to get acclimated to the group and he gets in a game easy.

Johnson was here for at least a week, if not 2, before he was put in the lineup and only because we did reach a few injuries at that point.

I'd be very surprised to see an 18 year old slotted into a lineup that reached the Calder Cup finals (because it's likely the only time he'd get to play). If London is ousted very early, maybe he makes it back in time to practice with the Marlies right away. If the Marlies and Bears reach a game 6 & 7, it's possible he could be put in instead of a player that's been here the whole year I guess?

All though not impossible for Marner to jump in the lineup, it'll be very unlikely. It's not as simple as him being a great talent, therefore he should be in the lineup. It won't be because he's not capable or whatever, put purely because of depth, chemistry and a big part of it is also the system that Marner is not familiar with.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm kinda surprised we haven't heard anything about Timashov joining the group to practice like Nielsen and Dermott(besides that 1 game), I don't expect him to play but being around the team like the other guys would be a good experiance.

so we don't play him because he could get hurt? Guess we shouldn't play him next year either. I mean if playing him now is meaningless then what isn't? Getting into a Calder Cup winning group would be good for him, especially with the group that will be a bunch of his NHL teammates when he does make it. Maybe we should call London and make sure they keep him out of the Memorial Cup too so he doesn't get hurt. Winning a champiosnhip doesn't really mean anything in the long run for him, no reason to risk it.

Lets take out Nylander too in case he could get hurt. That logic just doesn't make sense to me. He's eligible, he's good enough, the exact same logic could be applied to anyone, literally any year unless you expect you can win a Stanley Cup.

Babcock already mentioned they weigh their options to do what's best for the player and the team.

What's best for the player is bulking up and getting some strength to protect himself from.. these pro leagues. It'd be tough for him coming from a boys league where he can do whatever he wants and plopping him into a man's league that is in playoffs and these guys are going all out, where it's possible to get injured and ruin his most important summer for development. I just can't see it happening. Marlies have a great chance to win with or without him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Johnson was here for at least a week, if not 2, before he was put in the lineup and only because we did reach a few injuries at that point.

I'd be very surprised to see an 18 year old slotted into a lineup that reached the Calder Cup finals (because it's likely the only time he'd get to play). If London is ousted very early, maybe he makes it back in time to practice with the Marlies right away. If the Marlies and Bears reach a game 6 & 7, it's possible he could be put in instead of a player that's been here the whole year I guess?

All though not impossible for Marner to jump in the lineup, it'll be very unlikely. It's not as simple as him being a great talent, therefore he should be in the lineup. It won't be because he's not capable or whatever, put purely because of depth, chemistry and a big part of it is also the system that Marner is not familiar with.

Johnson was here for 9 days before he got it. 9 days from the time it was announced to the time he played anyway, not sure if he was there for all of those 9 days. It will roughly be 9 days between the Memorial Cup final and game 1 of the CC final. And that's assuming London makes the final. It'll be about 3 weeks from then to game 7. More than the time Johnson had.

Soshnikov was hurt when Johnson got in, but Johnson slotted right into the top 6, he dropped someone else down the lineup. So it wasn't just Soshnikov.

Marner is 19

Why are you mentioning the Marlies and Bears? I'm not saying he will be there for that series, I'm saying I think he gets into the calder cup final if he makes it there.

I'm not going to riot if he doesn't, I will understand the decision. I'm just saying I believe they will put him in there once he has a week to a week and a half(roughly game 2 or 3 of the CC Final) with the group because he's a better option that what they've been using.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
mark my words winnick will win a cup with the leafs. he will be back in uniform with in the next 2 years. the guy wants to play here love the city the market and takes one for the team year after year.

to be fair each year we have traded him to a heavy favorite if not the favorite to win it all

I love Winnik, but he took a big step back this season.

Previously, he's provided:

* Good possession game
* Elite PK ability
* Good third line production
* Decent complementary ability (He can play with better players because of his passing, just don't expect him to score)
* Reliable, consistent effort
* Model professional attitude

Other than the last point, all of that was gone this season. He was outright weak. I wouldn't be so sure about his future at this point.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Johnson was here for 9 days before he got it. 9 days from the time it was announced to the time he played anyway, not sure if he was there for all of those 9 days. It will roughly be 9 days between the Memorial Cup final and game 1 of the CC final. And that's assuming London makes the final. It'll be about 3 weeks from then to game 7. More than the time Johnson had.

Soshnikov was hurt when Johnson got in, but Johnson slotted right into the top 6, he dropped someone else down the lineup. So it wasn't just Soshnikov.

Marner is 19

Why are you mentioning the Marlies and Bears? I'm not saying he will be there for that series, I'm saying I think he gets into the calder cup final if he makes it there.

I'm not going to riot if he doesn't, I will understand the decision. I'm just saying I believe they will put him in there once he has a week to a week and a half(roughly game 2 or 3 of the CC Final) with the group because he's a better option that what they've been using.

So... a over a week.

I'm mentioning that series because that's the one we have to play. It's possible we lose, it's not a guaranteed win.

To me it makes no sense to put in Marner in a lineup that made it to the finals, because that's probably the only time he'll have a chance to play. It's not a risk I'd take if I were a coach. My team that played the entire year together for the most part made it to the finals, but let me sit X player for Mitch Marner that hasn't been here all year. Sounds like a change that's not quite needed if we made it that far.

I can understand why you would play him and as a fan, I probably would too. I think Marner is a special player and I would love to see what he could do here. I'm looking at this in the eyes of the Keefe and I just don't see how you make that kind of roster change unless there is a major need for Marner or if the IR keeps growing.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm talking about the finals because it's a discussion board and the topic of Marner came up, this round isn't realistic so the discussion would naturally move to ok at which point would be enough time to get acclimated to the group so you're not rushing him in there hypothetically if we advance.

I don't think it's that difficult of a decision really. If you get past the "is it best for Marner" conversation and decide yes it makes sense for him, then I don't really think you can actively choose to ice a lesser lineup. It's like Zaun who argued Buehrle should be on the playoff roster over Stroman because Buehrle was here all year Stroman wasn't. Stroman was the better option and he played

There's no fairness in the decision for me, it's a I have this great lineup we've had that got us here to the final and I have the chance to make it better. I jump at that chance.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So... a over a week.

I'm mentioning that series because that's the one we have to play. It's possible we lose, it's not a guaranteed win.

To me it makes no sense to put in Marner in a lineup that made it to the finals, because that's probably the only time he'll have a chance to play. It's not a risk I'd take if I were a coach. My team that played the entire year together for the most part made it to the finals, but let me sit X player for Mitch Marner that hasn't been here all year. Sounds like a change that's not quite needed if we made it that far.

I can understand why you would play him and as a fan, I probably would too. I think Marner is a special player and I would love to see what he could do here. I'm looking at this in the eyes of the Keefe and I just don't see how you make that kind of roster change unless there is a major need for Marner or if the IR keeps growing.
Many of the Marlies played for the Leafs this year, it's a development league so I wouldn't accept the "we're a team that's been together all year" position.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I can understand the just let Marner leave the Memorial Cup and start his summer of training argument. I don't agree with it but I get it.

I don't get the this is the group that got us here, this is the group we're going with mentality. You put the best roster out there from what you have available. If they decide Marner is an option, and once he's ready to go if they think he's a better option than someone else that should take precedence, not this other guy was here with us that got us here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Many of the Marlies played for the Leafs this year, it's a development league so I wouldn't accept the "we're a team that's been together all year" position.

They've been around each other all year though and are very familiar with the system and everything the team needs to do. Even if a lot of those players were up with the Leafs for a portion of the year, they were living with each other and were very close to each other. For example, Nylander, Kapanen and Gauthier were together a lot in between practices and games despite 2 of the 3 not being on the same team.

Again, this is all pointless because I'm not saying it'll be impossible, just unlikely. Dermott got to play as well in these playoffs, but largely due to injuries to 3 defenders.

I don't think Keefe will put Marner in the lineup unless there is a big need for him to do so, like injuries or a player or two struggling. Only winger I would sit out would be Clune. We still have Lindberg and Johnson that could be healthy by then too. With that said, still another series to play before that happens anyway.

Last edited:

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Big steps forward these playoffs from Kapanen. Game 7 vs Albany best game in a Marlies uniform. He looked great, using his speed and shot to his adavantage.
Good sign, as his best games maybe the gold medal game at the WJC and game 7 vs Albany.

Saw a tweet the other day, can't remember from who but was one of the scouts I follow (Seidel, Pronman etc.). Basically said he was hard on Kapanen when he wrote his review on him during his draft year, but never doubted his talent. Said he is starting to see a different player now in terms of compete and consistency.

Nobody really talking about him as a potential Leaf next year, but if he keeps this up I wouldn't rule it out.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

The guy is about to play in the Memorial Cup as OHL playoff MVP and you think introducing him to pro hockey is some sort of risk?

You can't put the guy in a bubble. He would probably be the best player in the AHL. If his OHL season ends then he should be with the Marlies getting ice time because he would be one of their top forwards.

A hockey player can get injured in a game at any level at any time. May is not the month you start wrapping them in bubble wrap to avoid injury.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Anyone else really pumped for Rich Clune?

Guy doesn't have the natural skill but he grinds it out
Local kid that was non tendered - works hard and earns an nhl deal with his home town team
Scores the game 7 winner with like 2 mins to go - the celly shows it all.

way to go bud.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
The guy is about to play in the Memorial Cup as OHL playoff MVP and you think introducing him to pro hockey is some sort of risk?

You can't put the guy in a bubble. He would probably be the best player in the AHL. If his OHL season ends then he should be with the Marlies getting ice time because he would be one of their top forwards.

A hockey player can get injured in a game at any level at any time. May is not the month you start wrapping them in bubble wrap to avoid injury.

I understand your point and I think Marner would handle himself fine. But he would be going from a boys league to a men's league and his chance of being injured would be increased. If he were to get injured right now, his summer could be ruined, and it is the most important summer he will have. Maybe you don't see it this way, but it definitely has to be in the thought process. The benefit of playing one series is not as big as the benefit of bulking up this summer, IMO.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

Absolutely untrue. He wouldn't even be the best forward on the Marlies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad