Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 2: Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I've posted similar before... but when you look at the composition of cup finalist rosters this is how they have looked on average since 2011 in terms of production per 82 (wingers+Dmen not sorted by side):

Median:

74 -- 76 -- 60
51 -- 57 -- 45
39 -- 33 -- 30
22 -- 19 -- 17

47 -- 35
29 -- 23
17 -- 12

Interestingly the cup winning groups have looked worse production wise man for man that finalist losers:

Median cup winner:

64 -- 76 -- 57
52 -- 49 -- 44
40 -- 28 -- 29
22 -- 23 -- 17

47 -- 34
28 -- 23
17 -- 14
Quality post. There should be a MSE + Appleyard thread that has all of these statistic posts compiled alongside those great historical GDTs MSE used to post.

Reactions: HighOFFHockey

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Pahlsson went half a point per game in that cup run and was second in Selke voting that year. Ducks sure didn't lack in center depth.

Pahlsson is also part of the dominant trend that indicates an elite two-way forward is as much a requisite for a Cup win as a #1 Dman and #1C.

Especially with the salary cap. Those guys have incredible cap efficiency.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As an aside, Pahlsson should've won the Conn Smythe imo. At least I thought that at the time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i actually thought it should've been beauchemin. He was their leading dman in toi. he was a beast in the playoffs.

No one in their right mind would claim Beauchemin was as important to the 07 Ducks as Pronger or Niedermayer.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
didn't Niedermayer score 2 or 3 OT goals that postseason?
came up clutch and was a beast.

Don't see that much of a problem with it tbh there have been less deserving winners like Toews in 2010 and Crosby in 2016.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
No one in their right mind would claim Beauchemin was as important to the 07 Ducks as Pronger or Niedermayer.

You will be surprised. LIke i said before , he played more than any other duck, and stepped up. He played hard minutes that displaced those two from playing them.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You will be surprised. LIke i said before , he played more than any other duck, and stepped up. He played hard minutes that displaced those two from playing them.

I remember him playing well but not to the extent that youre claiming. Might have to check with some Ducks fans on this one.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Closest we've had to 3 actual top 9 centers (or at least as the team sees it) was from March 1 on last year, after they acquired Flip. Time on ice was as follows:

1) Couturier.....18:56 min/game (15:08 ES TOI/game)

2) Giroux.........18:20 min/game (14:17 ES TOI/game)

3) Filppula.......17:07 min/game (14:21 ES TOI/game)

4) Bellemare....10:50 min/game (8:31 ES TOI/game)

I know the post is a bit old, but this is really interesting info. How did you source it? Want to be able to use it later on.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I remember him playing well but not to the extent that youre claiming. Might have to check with some Ducks fans on this one.

Ah, Frankie Beauchemin and Sammy Pahlsson; two guys I always wanted on the Flyers.

Before moving to San Diego, I worked about a mile from the Honda Center in Anaheim (no, I wasn't the guy in the Mickey Mouse outfit :)) and had Ducks season seats. Frankie and Sammy were two of my favorite players on the team that won the Cup in 2007.

I don't recall a lot of debate, at the time, about Scott Niedermayer's Conn Smythe selection. He was the captain and played the most playoff minutes for Anaheim. The way he could control the pace of games, with his skating and puck handling, was remarkable. But you can certainly look back at those playoffs and make a case for several other guys. My list, in no particular order, would be Pronger, Giguere, Beauchemin, Getzlaf, Selanne and Pahlsson.

As mentioned above, while Niedermayer led the Ducks in playoff minutes, Beauchemin (who played one less game) was the top TOI/GP man. He could do it all. He led the team in even strength minutes, was second in short-handed minutes and was third among the Ducks defensemen in power play minutes (where he had four goals, second best on the team).

Even if Frankie wasn't the most valuable Duck in the playoffs, he was indispensable. I don't think the Ducks would have made it past the Wings in the conference finals without him. Sure, Anaheim had Niedermayer and Pronger on the back end, but they also had an aging Sean O'Donnell, Kent Huskins, Joe DiPenta and Ric Jackman. Without Beauchemin, and his 30 minutes a night, Anaheim would have been sunk.

Sammy and his line mates (Travis Moen and Rob Niedermayer) were just terrific matching up against some of their opponents best lines, shutting them down and providing some valuable "counter punch" offense. Sammy was the Ducks playoff leader in plus/minus (tied with Pronger), had two game winning goals, led his team in face-offs taken and was first in PK minutes. He was super valuable.

If Frankie or Sammy had won the Conn Smythe it probably would have been a surprise, but I would have had a big, stupid grin on my face. :D

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ah, Frankie Beauchemin and Sammy Pahlsson; two guys I always wanted on the Flyers.

Before moving to San Diego, I worked about a mile from the Honda Center in Anaheim (no, I wasn't the guy in the Mickey Mouse outfit :)) and had Ducks season seats. Frankie and Sammy were two of my favorite players on the team that won the Cup in 2007.

I don't recall a lot of debate, at the time, about Scott Niedermayer's Conn Smythe selection. He was the captain and played the most playoff minutes for Anaheim. The way he could control the pace of games, with his skating and puck handling, was remarkable. But you can certainly look back at those playoffs and make a case for several other guys. My list, in no particular order, would be Pronger, Giguere, Beauchemin, Getzlaf, Selanne and Pahlsson.

As mentioned above, while Niedermayer led the Ducks in playoff minutes, Beauchemin (who played one less game) was the top TOI/GP man. He could do it all. He led the team in even strength minutes, was second in short-handed minutes and was third among the Ducks defensemen in power play minutes (where he had four goals, second best on the team).

Even if Frankie wasn't the most valuable Duck in the playoffs, he was indispensable. I don't think the Ducks would have made it past the Wings in the conference finals without him. Sure, Anaheim had Niedermayer and Pronger on the back end, but they also had an aging Sean O'Donnell, Kent Huskins, Joe DiPenta and Ric Jackman. Without Beauchemin, and his 30 minutes a night, Anaheim would have been sunk.

Sammy and his line mates (Travis Moen and Rob Niedermayer) were just terrific matching up against some of their opponents best lines, shutting them down and providing some valuable "counter punch" offense. Sammy was the Ducks playoff leader in plus/minus (tied with Pronger), had two game winning goals, led his team in face-offs taken and was first in PK minutes. He was super valuable.

If Frankie or Sammy had won the Conn Smythe it probably would have been a surprise, but I would have had a big, stupid grin on my face. :D

Nice recollection. I remember how good the big names and the Pahlsson line were, but I never would have guessed that Beauchemin led them TOI/G.

Would it be accurate to say he was similar to how important Timonen was for the Flyers in 2010? That 2nd pairing anchor, so to speak.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Nice recollection. I remember how good the big names and the Pahlsson line were, but I never would have guessed that Beauchemin led them TOI/G.

Would it be accurate to say he was similar to how important Timonen was for the Flyers in 2010? That 2nd pairing anchor, so to speak.

Yeah, I think that's a good comparison.

I used to cringe when Lavy had to throw out Parent and Bartulis for their six, or seven, minutes a game. And Krajicek wasn't much better.

Like Kimmo, Carlyle kept throwing Beauchemin out there because (besides Sean O'Donnell) he really didn't have anyone else he could trust.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Trying to find out how Patrick looks so far for fantasy purposes, but find myself wading through comments about mustard, mayo, and the 2007 Ducks. Can anybody tell me how he has looked so far and if he will be making the leap to the NHL this season?(obviously opinions).

Thanks in advance!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Trying to find out how Patrick looks so far for fantasy purposes, but find myself wading through comments about mustard, mayo, and the 2007 Ducks.

:laugh:

Can anybody tell me how he has looked so far and if he will be making the leap to the NHL this season?(obviously opinions).

Thanks in advance!

He should make the roster. He's only played in two games so far. A rookie game & then road game against New York where there were very few guys in the lineup who figure to make the team this year. So tough to realistically gauge much there.

The ultimate thing in regards to him fantasy wise is that there doesn't seem to be a clear path for him to play regularly on the top PP unit this year.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
:laugh:

He should make the roster. He's only played in two games so far. A rookie game & then road game against New York where there were very few guys in the lineup who figure to make the team this year. So tough to realistically gauge much there.

The ultimate thing in regards to him fantasy wise is that there doesn't seem to be a clear path for him to play regularly on the top PP unit this year.

Cool, thanks for the advice!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Trying to find out how Patrick looks so far for fantasy purposes, but find myself wading through comments about mustard, mayo, and the 2007 Ducks.

He also had a monolithic growth on his face for a while which carried us through several weeks of the news-dead summer period. Once that cleared up, there was nothing to talk about whatsoever for ages.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
This kid has fantastic vision and with the snarl he showed last night, dare I say he reminds me of a certain center in western conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad