Line Combos: Roster overhaul in order?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So with an 80 mill cap...

FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: A. Bjork ($925,000) - D. Pastrnak ($6,666,666) - D. Backes ($6,000,000) - N. Acciari ($725,000) - T. Wingels ($700,000)
Centre: P. Bergeron ($6,875,000) - D. Krejci ($7,250,000) - R. Donato ($900,000) - R. Fitzgerald ($792,500)
Left wing: B. Marchand ($6,125,000) - J. DeBrusk ($863,333) - D. Heinen ($872,500) - S. Kuraly ($1,000,000)
DEFENSE (7)
Right: C. McAvoy ($916,667) - B. Carlo ($789,167) - K. Miller ($2,500,000) - A. McQuaid ($2,750,000)
Left: Z. Chara ($5,000,000) - T. Krug ($5,250,000) - M. Grzelcyk ($1,000,000)
GOALTENDER (2)
T. Rask ($7,000,000) - A. Khudobin ($1,200,000)
BUYOUTS
D. Seidenberg ($1,166,667) - J. Hayes ($866,667)

Leaves them 9 million bucks to spend!

But...

McAvoy, Carlo, Donato, Heinen, JFK, Cehlarik come off ELC next season with only Chara and McQuaid expiring.

Year after its Bjork, DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Zboril, Lauzon with Krug and Miller ending their deals.

The next season is when it gets crazy. (Baring bridge deals) Only Frederic and Studnicka are RFA but Krejci, Backes and Rask all have contracts that expire.

Bruins do nothing exciting - Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

saying we got 9 mill will mislead some fans a bit... im not sure if youve included cap overage penalty. and i know you havent included potential bonuses from next year

but overall... its a good summary. a few guys are free agents and i think you estimated their contracts low but even after my calculations we are still looking at 6-7 mill to add someone

this is where my idea we give riley nash a 1 year overpayment might make sense.

as you point out... this year our cap looks good. next year is a lot more dangerous. and then the year after that could force us into cost cutting

this is why older dmen on 1 year contracts have more value to us. why 33 and 34 year olds that can help now have value

this is why going after young guys like tavares or hanifin might repersent very difficult cap management problems

i think its possible to add young expensive pieces but we must be able to move expensive pieces as part of the plan

for 1 year... we got enough cap room we are ok to add something nice

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
By all accounts, they're looking for that top line center and some veteran leaders. They want to win now considering how many years they've missed the playoffs. Centers are a commodity and Krejci for another 3 years at 7 million who has shown to produce consistently in the regular season and in the playoffs may be something they consider.

No one is trading any top line centers in their prime other than maybe ROR (who would probably cost an arm and a leg). If they lose out on free agent centers like Tavares and etc and aren't looking to acquire any prospects or futures, a deal like this is something they most certainly could explore.

9/10 times I come up with ridiculous trades but I feel like this actually benefits both teams.

its a trade idea i tossed out a couple weeks ago... ive soured a bit on it since. for me it comes down to lindholm being rfa. at 2.5 on a bridge im all over him. but at a 6 year deal north of 4 im worried.

if krejci is will ing to go to carolina i think its a deal worth discussing but i need to know what contract demand lindholm wants

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I'd like to see Don get a little creative this off season.

I see we have three sets of pairs that we need to lose one of each. Here's my take:

1) Miller vs McQuaid- People will say MIller is better but I thought he was easily the worst of the whole group in the playoffs. McQuaid comes off next season so I would keep him for this year, trade Miller for an asset and if we are in a position to sell McQuaid at the deadline, if a player beats him out, we do so.

2) Krug vs Gryz- Exploited in the playoffs how small we were on that backend. Krug is obviously the better player, offensively it's not even close, but with the 5 million dollar price tag, I trade him for a young puck moving, bigger, rougher dman to play with Carlo on the 2nd pair.

3) Krejci vs Backes- Both older, slower, declining players with big money contracts. We simply can't be getting 77 points from 13 million in payroll. One of these players has to go, especially with some entry level deals coming up on expiration. Backes is untradable at this point, our only hope is to find a suitor for Krejci

If we can shed Miller + Krug + Krejci =15 million

Marshy-Bergy-Pasta
Debrusk-XXX- Bjork
Donato-Heinen-XXXXX
Acciari-Kuraly-Backes

Chara-McAvoy
XXXX-Carlo
Gryz-McQuaid

No Idea what the returns would look like here?
I mean in a perfect world, we sign Tavares and trade for Nurse. That makes this team a whole lot better.
But Tavares isnt signing here and we arent trading with Edmonton. So any other suggestions?

Reactions: don

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I see we have three sets of pairs that we need to lose one of each. Here's my take:

1) Miller vs McQuaid- People will say MIller is better but I thought he was easily the worst of the whole group in the playoffs. McQuaid comes off next season so I would keep him for this year, trade Miller for an asset and if we are in a position to sell McQuaid at the deadline, if a player beats him out, we do so.

2) Krug vs Gryz- Exploited in the playoffs how small we were on that backend. Krug is obviously the better player, offensively it's not even close, but with the 5 million dollar price tag, I trade him for a young puck moving, bigger, rougher dman to play with Carlo on the 2nd pair.

3) Krejci vs Backes- Both older, slower, declining players with big money contracts. We simply can't be getting 77 points from 13 million in payroll. One of these players has to go, especially with some entry level deals coming up on expiration. Backes is untradable at this point, our only hope is to find a suitor for Krejci

Marshy-Bergy-Pasta
Debrusk-XXX- Bjork
Donato-Heinen-XXXXX
Acciari-Kuraly-Backes

Chara-McAvoy
XXXX-Carlo
Gryz-McQuaid

I mean in a perfect world, we sign Tavares and trade for Nurse. That makes this team a whole lot better.
But Tavares isnt signing here and we arent trading with Edmonton. So any other suggestions?

Cehlarik will impress this camp and make team. Backes would be
ideal on LTR. Not sure I agree will the Miller Mcquaid but see the reasoning. Bruins need to get faster. Penguins now Vegas have proven it’s the way to go. Would
Love to get a marshenault. Someone Here said stop building around Krejci. I’m starting to agree. Move him time.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
ideal on LTR.
Not sure I agree will the Miller Mcquaid but see the reasoning. Bruins need to get faster. Penguins now Vegas have proven it’s the way to go. Would
Love to get a marshenault. Someone Here said stop building around Krejci. I’m starting to agree. Move him time.

That's a pretty brutal comment, like your hoping somehow Backes is injured enough that he goes on LTIR and can no longer play.

Your going to be disappointed, no way do I see a warrior like Backes packing it in at this moment.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

Marshy-Bergy-Pasta
Debrusk-XXX- Bjork
Donato-Heinen-XXXXX
Acciari-Kuraly-Backes

Chara-McAvoy
XXXX-Carlo
Gryz-McQuaid

Miller is better than McQuaid.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
That's a pretty brutal comment, like your hoping somehow Backes is injured enough that he goes on LTIR and can no longer play.

Your going to be disappointed, no way do I see a warrior like Backes packing it in at this moment.

Relax. The dude has a concussion history. I don’t see him risking life after hockey. For him family and the team it’s something I see him considering. He isn’t effective if he’s playing protective hockey. He knows that.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Relax. The dude has a concussion history. I don’t see him risking life after hockey. For him family and the team it’s something I see him considering. He isn’t effective if he’s playing protective hockey. He knows that.
Backes isn’t retiring.

Reactions: Chief Nine

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

How about we just stop speculating on Backes future when there has really been no indication that he's injured long-term. He himself said he would of likely returned in the 3rd round had the Bruins advanced.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

Marshy-Bergy-Pasta
Debrusk-XXX- Bjork
Donato-Heinen-XXXXX
Acciari-Kuraly-Backes

Chara-McAvoy
XXXX-Carlo
Gryz-McQuaid

Good analysis. My only question is why discount a trade with Edmonton? It seems the team's line up well.

Reactions: don

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
ideal on LTR. Not sure I agree will the Miller Mcquaid but see the reasoning. Bruins need to get faster. Penguins now Vegas have proven it’s the way to go. Would

If he's healthy.... The love Cehlarik gets around here is one of the most confusing things.

Backes on the ice would be ideal. Jesus.....We're already at this point now? Hoping for a player to not be able to play so we can get the cap space? f*** off with this BS. Get your priorities straight.

Reactions: Chief Nine and DKH

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Don't do it Don! PK at Fenway yesterday.

DeUIfwTWsAAeWdn.jpg

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If he's healthy.... The love Cehlarik gets around here is one of the most confusing things.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I thought of all the callups from the AHL over the past couple seasons, Cehlarik looked to have the most complete game. His skating and being hard on the puck needed a bit of work, but overall he had a major league skill set. Big body, good vision and intelligence, slick passer- a lot to like in the kid. His seeming injury proneness is a concern for sure, but I like his potential. If he gets traded I won't cry too much (well, maybe a little) but he's a guy who I'd like to see get a chance this season at regular minutes.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Good analysis. My only question is why discount a trade with Edmonton? It seems the team's line up well.
I also believe they're good trading partners but the PC history, I just don't know if that has gone away. Of course, there's the Dougie stuff that came out in the media as well. I'm not agreeing with it, if you can make your team better, I'd trade with a guy who's banged my wife(hasn't happened, just sayin') hahahaha, but not all people share this mentality.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

You spoke with Backes one on one about this then? Cool scoop

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I didn’t see anything about retiring. Where did you see that he’s retiring.

Here:

Sounds like you have some inside information...

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad