Line Combos: Roster overhaul in order?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Watching Vegas vs Caps ... they throw a ton of blind shots at the net. Lots of no look passing

Two things Bruins rarely did in the playoffs

Maybe Cassidy needs to encourage some more creativity from the lineup. Not just dump and chase, cycle etc
Throwing blind shots at the net is Clodes style. Boring and none creative. You don’t think the Bruins were more creative this year? What team have you been watching. No looks are lucky at times.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The first line is capable of playing any style

The problem is that the second line is focused on DK, and that's his style of play. Moving away from that means not playing to DK's strengths. This is the reason why I was hoping that they'd keep Spooner and move DK instead. To make DK effective, you have to literally move in the opposite direction of the rest of the league and get slower, bulkier, more physical players who grind.

The third line is again more slow down low end players with not enough skill (IE the Riley Nash's and David Backes of the world). That can be addressed internally by bringing up more skilled youth, but the big issue of what to do with the second line remains as the main issue.

Are you stating Krejci plays this style?

I dont remember him shooting blind shots at the net or making no look passes

He is like the opposite and likes to carry the puck or make the perfect pass

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Throwing blind shots at the net is Clodes style. Boring and none creative. You don’t think the Bruins were more creative this year? What team have you been watching. No looks are lucky at times.

I disagree

Clode let the Ds shoot but the forwards just cycled the crap out of the puck. He didnt allow creativity on offense. If so, team wouldnt have struggled to score like they did

Cycle, Ds shoot at the net, focus on playing strong team D

Vegas and Capitals play open hockey, but responsible and relentless. The players have very good chemistry and lucky (blind shots at the net turn into rebound opportunities, blindpasses find sticks).

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Are you stating Krejci plays this style?

I dont remember him shooting blind shots at the net or making no look passes

He is like the opposite and likes to carry the puck or make the perfect pass

No, I'm saying DK plays the exact opposite and to play the way you're suggesting, which would mean a shift away from DK and the kind of players he needs around him to play effectively, in order to have behind the back passes and no look shots.

His game coupled with his salary and term left on his contract make him the main problem.

Reactions: rocketdan9

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I disagree

Clode let the Ds shoot but the forwards just cycled the crap out of the puck. He didnt allow creativity on offense. If so, team wouldnt have struggled to score like they did

Cycle, Ds shoot at the net, focus on playing strong team D

Vegas and Capitals play open hockey, but responsible and relentless. The players have very good chemistry and lucky (blind shots at the net turn into rebound opportunities, blindpasses find sticks).
Clode do not let them shoot. His style was to wrist the puck on net and hope for a lucky bounce. I remember Carlo as a rookie shooting the puck on net with a slap shot. I remember how happy I was that one of the D would do that. Well it didn’t last long and he never did it again after like 10 games.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Speed has always been an asset but I don't really agree that speed is any more important now than it ever has been. I don't think the league has really shifted to faster players. If anything I think defensive structures and defence men that can move laterally have negated much of the 'speed' advantage. Gone are the days when Richer or Gartner or Lafleur or Russ Courtnall would blow by everyone down the wing on a shift by shift basis.

The same as rule changes (and a different rulebook altogether for smaller players) and reffing have negated a lot of the rough and tumble size advantage.

I'd take skating edge work, quick puck movement, players willing to win one-on-one battles, puck protection, proper structure, and a TEAM concept, long before worrying about getting faster skaters.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Speed has always been an asset but I don't really agree that speed is any more important now than it ever has been. I don't think the league has really shifted to faster players. If anything I think defensive structures and defence men that can move laterally have negated much of the 'speed' advantage. Gone are the days when Richer or Gartner or Lafleur or Russ Courtnall would blow by everyone down the wing on a shift by shift basis.

The same as rule changes (and a different rulebook altogether for smaller players) and reffing have negated a lot of the rough and tumble size advantage.

I'd take skating edge work, quick puck movement, players willing to win one-on-one battles, puck protection, proper structure, and a TEAM concept, long before worrying about getting faster skaters.

Pittsburg and now Vegas win because of speed. It’s a known fact mentioned over and over all over media. Anyone watching Vegas in the playoffs can see that. TSN went on and on about how well their D can skate. The game has changed. Vegas forechecking speed is unbelievable. Love watching them play.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

It takes all of those things. Just being the fastest team doesn't guarantee squat.

The Bruins have a lot of those things you list above. What they are lacking is the foot-speed to execute it as effectively as a team like Vegas can where they dress 18 guys who are all pretty good skaters to varying degrees.

The league has gotten faster and overall skating abilty, including but certainly not limited to straight ahead speed, is needed to execute more and more every year.

NHL players themselves are constantly saying this, so I'm not sure why any fans would be in denial of this shift towards better skating players.

Reactions: Blowfish

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
There is no blueprint in the league, which is why I find it funny how people shoot down opinions of others not based off fact alone, but based on their opinions being fact. Does every team have the #1 two way player in the league? Does every team have a 1st line like we do? What about a 42 year old 6'9 dman with a wing span the length of an NHL ice surface? Derek England could barely stay in the line up in Pitts and Calgary and now he's a big part of Vegas D. Is he a speedster?

I'll circle back to my post yesterday, we have the problem of pairs right now, which is crippling the team.
1) Miller-McQuaid
2) Krejci-Backes
3) Gryz-Krug

Krejci and Backes are killing us not because they're older, cerebral players, its because they account for over 13 million in cap and combined produced under 80 points last season. Both are injury prone.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The first line is capable of playing any style

The problem is that the second line is focused on DK, and that's his style of play. Moving away from that means not playing to DK's strengths. This is the reason why I was hoping that they'd keep Spooner and move DK instead. To make DK effective, you have to literally move in the opposite direction of the rest of the league and get slower, bulkier, more physical players who grind.

The third line is again more slow down low end players with not enough skill (IE the Riley Nash's and David Backes of the world). That can be addressed internally by bringing up more skilled youth, but the big issue of what to do with the second line remains as the main issue.

I dunno. DK looked good with Pasta in the Olympics. Getting him with speedy wingers and getting his ass moving isn't a bad thing. Early in season with DeBrusk and Bjork was working.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
There is no blueprint in the league, which is why I find it funny how people shoot down opinions of others not based off fact alone, but based on their opinions being fact. Does every team have the #1 two way player in the league? Does every team have a 1st line like we do? What about a 42 year old 6'9 dman with a wing span the length of an NHL ice surface? Derek England could barely stay in the line up in Pitts and Calgary and now he's a big part of Vegas D. Is he a speedster?

I'll circle back to my post yesterday, we have the problem of pairs right now, which is crippling the team.
1) Miller-McQuaid
2) Krejci-Backes
3) Gryz-Krug

Krejci and Backes are killing us not because they're older, cerebral players, its because they account for over 13 million in cap and combined produced under 80 points last season. Both are injury prone.

Ah so it was their lack of production in the regular season that did the Bruins in against TB in Round 2.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The game evolves.

IMO the best goaltender in 1990 would be about 20th today.

The best in 1980 would be a backup.

This has nothing to do with the game "Evolving". Out of the lockout, the new NHL was supposed to emphasize speed/skill over clutch and grab. That first year was the epitome of the officials calling everything to make sure the game allowed skill and speed to shine through. This Vegas team would've excelled in that time period.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Clode do not let them shoot. His style was to wrist the puck on net and hope for a lucky bounce. I remember Carlo as a rookie shooting the puck on net with a slap shot. I remember how happy I was that one of the D would do that. Well it didn’t last long and he never did it again after like 10 games.

Slapshots are dead all across the league except in Nashville. This isn't a Clode thing at all.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
NHL’s Top 10 UFAs of 2018: The best goaltenders available - Sportsnet.ca

Another motley list of available UFAs, this time the goaltenders featuring our own Dobby at No.3

Exactly 1/5 of the forwards listed (6 out of 30) are current (Rick, Riley, and Czarnik) or former (Jumbo Joe, Stempniak, Stafford) Bruins.

Sign a goaltender, preferably Dobby. And unless Sweeney is Tavares hunting on July 1st, I'd just as soon see him go take a nice long afternoon nap rather than get into bidding wars for this steaming pile of mediocre players.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The game evolves.

IMO the best goaltender in 1990 would be about 20th today.

The best in 1980 would be a backup.
I’ll take a goalie from the 80’s with today’s equipment any day. Most goalies today would get shelled in the past. Most just sit there and let the puck hit them. Hardly any spot to score. Ugh...... that’s another argument.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I dunno. DK looked good with Pasta in the Olympics. Getting him with speedy wingers and getting his ass moving isn't a bad thing. Early in season with DeBrusk and Bjork was working.

He looked good in the olympics because he cared. National pride is a big motivation for a lot of these guys. When he doesn't have that motivation, you get the disinterested version of the guy. The player that can go weeks being invisible on the ice. Make no mistake, his contract is a huge part of the problem they have in Boston right now.

Reactions: Estlin

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
He looked good in the olympics because he cared. National pride is a big motivation for a lot of these guys. When he doesn't have that motivation, you get the disinterested version of the guy. The player that can go weeks being invisible on the ice. Make no mistake, his contract is a huge part of the problem they have in Boston right now.

Couldnt agree more. When Krejci cares he offers a huge mismatch. When he doesnt care hes barely a top 6 player.

Reactions: LSCII

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I disagree. It was part of their system.

I mean the hard numbers show that slap shots across the league are way down.

Rotating back to the point to "play defense by having puck control" was certainly part of the Julien plan.

Not getting your shot blocked and creating an odd man rush was part of the plan, but thats everyones plan now. Its REALLY hard to get a slap shot through now. How often are you seeing opponents take slap shots against the Bruins?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’ll take a goalie from the 80’s with today’s equipment any day. Most goalies today would get shelled in the past. Most just sit there and let the puck hit them. Hardly any spot to score. Ugh...... that’s another argument.

The goalies today move much faster and are in much better shape. The equipment argument is somewhat valid, however, if an 80's goaltender used today's gear and were playing against today's players with the sticks they use, they'd be over matched.

Just watch video of the 80's and 90's -- guys would skate down the wing and rip a shot past them with relatively regularity. That hardly happens today.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
This has nothing to do with the game "Evolving". Out of the lockout, the new NHL was supposed to emphasize speed/skill over clutch and grab. That first year was the epitome of the officials calling everything to make sure the game allowed skill and speed to shine through. This Vegas team would've excelled in that time period.

I'd say that every NHL team today would have excelled in the 80's -- the only difference would be the degree to which they excelled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad