Line Combos: Roster Discussion/Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Implies Blankenburg and Gaudreau will be back

Also implies Laine and Danforth might be back as well. Maybe even Gudbranson?

Edit: maybe I should stop trying to be smart

You forgot Pederson and Olivier. I think Pederson could return. The second...? What's happen d-men, Bean is skating too.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You forgot Pederson and Olivier. I think Pederson could return. The second...? What's happen d-men, Bean is skating too.
I did forget about Pederson. He’s probably one of the guys returning.

So I’ll say one of Laine/Danforth and Pederson go in (lean says Danforth)

I don’t think bean returns this year. Maybe they call back up Bjork or Sweezy because regardless it’s a 3 games in 3 nights even if they stay in Cleveland.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Hopefully the sends were for bolstering the Monsters and the guys will be back in Columbus soon.This is a situation where I'd sacrifice the Monsters for the tank. No need to bring the regulars back now

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Looks like theyve called up TFW, Jiricek, Bjork and Luoto... Why can they not help themselves and just leave Jiricek in Cleveland, he doesnt need to be around this shit show. Let the kid focus on their playoff push

Reactions: majormajor

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Looks like theyve called up TFW, Jiricek, Bjork and Luoto... Why can they not help themselves and just leave Jiricek in Cleveland, he doesnt need to be around this shit show. Let the kid focus on their playoff push
They live by "earned it on the depth chart" and die by "earned it on the depth chart."

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
^^^^^

One maintenance day is no enough for Boone. I'd leave him in Columbus for a full day of rest.:sarcasm:

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

Hearing him talk about this makes me think we might not have Boone for many more years

As a person with back issues (it doesn’t get better just have to manage) - I was afraid of this. All the more reason to acquire someone to play top line C minutes and then can transition to a 2C when our draft pick or KJ can take that spot. That is why I floated acquiring Lindholm in the offseason. Seems like the club wants to do a bargain basement type with Kevin Hayes (which I am against wholeheartedly).

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think we have to be careful about what we want to do with Boone. Especially right now, this could be an almost nothing thing like a bit of stiffness and they are just shutting him down because there is no reason to play through it. Likely one of those things that if we were playing meaningful games we wouldnt even know about and we could all live in blissfull ignorance

Last edited:

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Lets be clear I am not in any camp of trading Boone. My point is they said they were going to watch his minutes and he played the same amount of minutes as last year. Garnering a 1C/2C is forcing the move to at least the 2nd line C or W. Also gives us 2 veteran centers and btw no Kevin Hayes.

This would allow him to still be effective but less pounding on his back

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
As a person with back issues (it doesn’t get better just have to manage) - I was afraid of this. All the more reason to acquire someone to play top line C minutes and then can transition to a 2C when our draft pick or KJ can take that spot. That is why I floated acquiring Lindholm in the offseason. Seems like the club wants to do a bargain basement type with Kevin Hayes (which I am against wholeheartedly).

Just get Fantilli and it’s all ”fixed”.

Lindholm would cost way too much to land and the contract he’s about to get

Gaudreau- Johnson- Laine
Jenner- Fantilli- Marchenko
By the end of 2023-24

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Just get Fantilli and it’s all ”fixed”.

Lindholm would cost way too much to land and the contract he’s about to get

Gaudreau- Johnson- Laine
Jenner- Fantilli- Marchenko
By the end of 2023-24
Got to try first instead of saying he will be too expensive. I would see in your scenario starting out Fantilli at the 3C and graduating up to the 2C and shifting Boone to the wing. I would not plan on him being the 1C for a season or two. Move Lindholm down to your 2C and you are set. Before you say it leave Sillinger in the AHL next season or at least part of the season while he cooks a little more.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
If I have it my way, Jenner would retire a blue jacket. Moving him hurts the team way more than it helps anything down the line
sentimentally speaking, yes. and i was in the same boat with atkinson and foligno, too. but you have to separate boone jenner the person from boone jenner the asset.

good:
1. heart and soul of this team
2. good player – legit top six guy, albeit not flashy – on a team that needs good players

bad:
1. hasn't played a full season in six years
2. has played through a back injury for the last two years
3. has had his last two seasons ended prematurely due to that back injury
4. turns 30 in two months
5. plays 20+ minutes a night, and a style of game that is hard on his body
6. is a highly coveted/valuable asset for contending teams

boone is a good player right now but everything we know about the human body indicates that he probably doesn't have much shelf life left. the blue jackets aren't a contending team right now.

imo the assets they would've gotten at the deadline for boone would be more likely to deliver significant long-term value for this team than boone himself, given the injury stuff.

again, i love the dude. i'd love to believe that at age 30 his back will magically get better and he'll play a full 82 for the first time since he was 23. but let's be realistic here, that type of thinking has no place in an NHL front office.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Got to try first instead of saying he will be too expensive. I would see in your scenario starting out Fantilli at the 3C and graduating up to the 2C and shifting Boone to the wing. I would not plan on him being the 1C for a season or two. Move Lindholm down to your 2C and you are set. Before you say it leave Sillinger in the AHL next season or at least part of the season while he cooks a little more.

If your longterm vision is

Fantilli/Carlsson
Johnson
In the middle Lindholm is a terrible target.

Fantilli could have a Eichel type season where he puts up 55-60 points behind a veteran line, Carlsson I’d start in the AHL, let him dominate one level offensively before NHL.
By year 2 they both should be legimite top6C’s and at that point behind Johnson for one season.
By year 3 they could/should be legit 1C’s.

& the price for Lindholm will/would be extremely high

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
sentimentally speaking, yes. and i was in the same boat with atkinson and foligno, too. but you have to separate boone jenner the person from boone jenner the asset.

good:
1. heart and soul of this team
2. good player – legit top six guy, albeit not flashy – on a team that needs good players

bad:
1. hasn't played a full season in six years
2. has played through a back injury for the last two years
3. has had his last two seasons ended prematurely due to that back injury
4. turns 30 in two months
5. plays 20+ minutes a night, and a style of game that is hard on his body
6. is a highly coveted/valuable asset for contending teams

boone is a good player right now but everything we know about the human body indicates that he probably doesn't have much shelf life left. the blue jackets aren't a contending team right now.

imo the assets they would've gotten at the deadline for boone would be more likely to deliver significant long-term value for this team than boone himself, given the injury stuff.

again, i love the dude. i'd love to believe that at age 30 his back will magically get better and he'll play a full 82 for the first time since he was 23. but let's be realistic here, that type of thinking has no place in an NHL front office.

Forget sentiment and "person", Boone Jenner is worth more to the Jackets than to other clubs. His asset value is best deployed as a Jacket. We are in desperate need of everything he brings. And his trade value is probably nothing special so I don't know why you keep bringing it up.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Boone is the one player on this team where I'd consider the long-long term. Let me explain: I might be inclined to agree that it would be beneficial in the (regular) long term to trade him soon while he's still playing good hockey, we might get a boatload for him and wouldn't have to worry about his back. But as a reasonably young franchise, there's also value in keeping some soldiers on the roster for their entire career, let them retire as Blue Jackets and build a foundation of the team and organization for the long term future. Obviously playoff victories build the best foundation but there's a mix to be had and Boone is one of those players who will be remembered for their tenure for a long time to come. In fact he's already #2 longest tenured player on the Jackets and will surpass Bobrovsky next year to become the #1 longest standing Blue Jacket. There's value in that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If your longterm vision is

Fantilli/Carlsson
Johnson
In the middle Lindholm is a terrible target.

Fantilli could have a Eichel type season where he puts up 55-60 points behind a veteran line, Carlsson I’d start in the AHL, let him dominate one level offensively before NHL.
By year 2 they both should be legimite top6C’s and at that point behind Johnson for one season.
By year 3 they could/should be legit 1C’s.

& the price for Lindholm will/would be extremely high

I agree. If we get the 4th pick then we can return to the Lindholm discussion. Top 3 and we're set at center.

I'm still eager to see the price on Backlund regardless of who we draft. That's a big upgrade.

Reactions: cslebn and BB88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille