Line Combos: Roster Discussion/Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Forget sentiment and "person", Boone Jenner is worth more to the Jackets than to other clubs. His asset value is best deployed as a Jacket.
his on-ice value is likely to sharply regress over the next 2 or so years. guys with that type of injury history and that style of game have really rough age curves.
We are in desperate need of everything he brings.
i don't disagree that he has what the team needs right now but my point is that the last place team should be thinking a bit longer term than that.
And his trade value is probably nothing special so I don't know why you keep bringing it up.
his trade value is quite high and imo significantly outpaces the value they can expect to get from him on the ice in the long-term.

this is definitely an 'agree to disagree' thing for me + the rest of the fandom, i'm just saying that it's the second year in a row where they've shut him down because of a bad back he tried to play through, and he's about to hit the age where most guys exit their primes.

maybe he defies the odds and somehow gets healthy at 30 but again, i doubt it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

As fun as it is to see all these debuts, I can't help but see it as Jarmo being the impatient kid who takes all his toys out on Christmas Eve. He just can't seem to wait. Svozil in particular isn't close physically.

Maybe they're thinking let's show the kids how far away they are physically so they train harder in the gym?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
his on-ice value is likely to sharply regress over the next 2 or so years. guys with that type of injury history and that style of game have really rough age curves.

i don't disagree that he has what the team needs right now but my point is that the last place team should be thinking a bit longer term than that.

his trade value is quite high and imo significantly outpaces the value they can expect to get from him on the ice in the long-term.

this is definitely an 'agree to disagree' thing for me + the rest of the fandom, i'm just saying that it's the second year in a row where they've shut him down because of a bad back he tried to play through, and he's about to hit the age where most guys exit their primes.

maybe he defies the odds and somehow gets healthy at 30 but again, i doubt it.

Jenner is faster now than he's ever been. He was a plodding player with back issues ten years ago. It doesn't seem like there's a degenerative problem, or at least nothing more degenerative than all players experience.

And that great return you're talking about is probably just a late 1st at the deadline, I don't think there's much interest in the summer and even a late 1st isn't worth it. We have so few veterans as is.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
As fun as it is to see all these debuts, I can't help but see it as Jarmo being the impatient kid who takes all his toys out on Christmas Eve. He just can't seem to wait. Svozil in particular isn't close physically.

Maybe they're thinking let's show the kids how far away they are physically so they train harder in the gym?
Eh I think hes just giving everyone a look and as pointed out not taking the core of Clevelands team on an important day

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I agree. If we get the 4th pick then we can return to the Lindholm discussion. Top 3 and we're set at center.

I'm still eager to see the price on Backlund regardless of who we draft. That's a big upgrade.

With a top3 pick they should be all in on defense.

Backlund would be a great match up addition

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland

Like stevo said I think it's a good time to get the kids some taste of the real world (if there's no contract implications). "This is what can be expected, you'll probably be a little out of your depth but train harder next year and you'll become a better player and have an easier/better time in the AHL/your league and eventually make it to the big league as a more complete player."

What's the downside? The injury risk is not as high right now either (unless Pittsburgh is still alive for their playoff hopes). I haven't heard any player ever saying anything negative about getting a taste early, and plenty saying it helped them get an idea of what's to expect and gave them motivation (last one was Demko I think in one of the recent NHL.com articles I think, can't remember what it was about though). Related: Dustin Wolf is making his NHL debut for the Flames tonight against the Sharks. Seems like it's common enough to mean that there's a benefit to it.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Come on... even you know this helps Cleveland with their 3 in 3 days this weekend and these players aren't being rushed. It's fill in for two games that mean nothing and can't hurt their development. You think Jarmo doesn't also have an eye on the basement? I think your last statement is probably part of the equation too.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Let's look at it another way. Who would be the captain if Boone Jenner is traded?

No tak... aj vy viete, že to pomáha Clevelandu s ich 3 dňami za 3 tento víkend a títo hráči sa nikam neponáhľajú. Je to vyplnenie dvoch hier, ktoré nič neznamenajú a nemôžu poškodiť ich vývoj. Myslíš si, že Jarmo nemá na zreteli aj pivnicu? Myslím, že tvoje posledné tvrdenie je pravdepodobne tiež súčasťou rovnice.
It's important that there will be 7 defensemen, so Kňažko and Svozil won't play as much.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Like stevo said I think it's a good time to get the kids some taste of the real world (if there's no contract implications). "This is what can be expected, you'll probably be a little out of your depth but train harder next year and you'll become a better player and have an easier/better time in the AHL/your league and eventually make it to the big league as a more complete player."

What's the downside? The injury risk is not as high right now either (unless Pittsburgh is still alive for their playoff hopes). I haven't heard any player ever saying anything negative about getting a taste early, and plenty saying it helped them get an idea of what's to expect and gave them motivation (last one was Demko I think in one of the recent NHL.com articles I think, can't remember what it was about though). Related: Dustin Wolf is making his NHL debut for the Flames tonight against the Sharks. Seems like it's common enough to mean that there's a benefit to it.

I think even AHL action would be a wake up call for Svozil, who doesn't look like he has ever seen the inside of a gym.

I'd think getting Svozil that NHL taste would make more sense a year from now.

I'm actually curious to see Pyyhtia. I watched his first AHL game and he looked like he knew what he was doing right away. I don't mind the timeline for him to get a taste.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think even AHL action would be a wake up call for Svozil, who doesn't look like he has ever seen the inside of a gym.

I'm actually curious to see Pyyhtia. I watched his first AHL game and he looked like he knew what he was doing right away. I don't mind the timeline for him to get a taste.
I think strength is being a bit overrated for this short term appearance. Funny enough Svozil has 15 pounds on Pyyhtia

Reactions: Monk and LJ7

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
The amount of rookie debuts this season has been crazy.....but I'm ok with the last set of call ups.
Nothing to play for, nothing left to lose - give the kids a small taste of the big show.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland

This makes sense, I kind of agree.

However could it be possible that the FO is actually thinking that they don't want to put Svozil in the Monsters roster for their last super important games? Or that they want to see if Svozil can handle AHL by playing him in the NHL first, as backwards as that sounds. Monsters absolutely need 3-4 points from their last 3 games against pretty tough teams, there's very little room for error. Just thinking out loud here, it would make some sense (especially as the schedules kind of align - play him with the Jackets on Thu/Fri, and then send to Cleveland for the weekend or wait until the playoff games if they make it, or just tell him to pack it and work on certain areas in the offseason).

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Just get Fantilli and it’s all ”fixed”.

Lindholm would cost way too much to land and the contract he’s about to get

Gaudreau- Johnson- Laine
Jenner- Fantilli- Marchenko
By the end of 2023-24
Lindholm would only be cost prohibitive for those who prefer prospects over victories. I'm talking about the same crew who just last year thought Sillinger was untouchable, now they realize he can't skate. Prospects are fleeting. Go get the guys who have proven they can play in the NHL and are still in their 20s.
I agree. If we get the 4th pick then we can return to the Lindholm discussion. Top 3 and we're set at center.

I'm still eager to see the price on Backlund regardless of who we draft. That's a big upgrade.
Glad to see you've come around to what I proposed in January-ish.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Let's look at it another way. Who would be the captain if Boone Jenner is traded?
I don’t think that player is in our organization yet. (This is not a Bedard or Fantilli thing)

If they insisted on trading Jenner this offseason and naming a captain immediately it would likely be Kuraly or Werenski. But I don’t think either of them are captain material. And honestly, I don’t see a future captain on this team yet from our young guys. There’s still plenty of time to change that.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
One of Bedard's buddies coming over to help the Jackets tank properly during their final push, I like it! :sarcasm:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Very excited to see Angle and MP

Pyyhtia is an interesting prospect. At the WJC he had me convinced he was maybe a 4th liner in the NHL, then I watched him in person at training camp/traverse city (can’t remember which one) but came away thinking there is no way this guy isn’t an NHL player. No idea on the upside but he has hockey IQ.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I doubt Jenner's market value would be such that trading him would make any hockey sense, it's not like the team has too many vets and lacks picks... and that's before even getting to intanglibles or whatever and all the other GMs have access to NHL.com and can check how much games he has played and they can probably also read twitter. The more savvy ones might even know more than the average fan.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don’t think that player is in our organization yet. (This is not a Bedard or Fantilli thing)

If they insisted on trading Jenner this offseason and naming a captain immediately it would likely be Kuraly or Werenski. But I don’t think either of them are captain material. And honestly, I don’t see a future captain on this team yet from our young guys. There’s still plenty of time to change that.
If character, yes. But Sean is the 4th line player. Maybe still Gudbranson. But any of them isn't Jenner. Not to mention Werenski and Gaudreau.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

I know it’s a hypothetical, but if they chose Kuraly over Werenski for the captaincy I’d want to barf.

4th line player wearing a C? Why

Yeah yeah yeah “skill doesn’t matter for the captaincy”…. it kind of does though.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I know it’s a hypothetical, but if they chose Kuraly over Werenski for the captaincy I’d want to barf.

4th line player wearing a C? Why

Yeah yeah yeah “skill doesn’t matter for the captaincy”…. it kind of does though.
Derek MacKenzie was an NHL captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest