Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXX - Sweet Little 16 (…Days until TDL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Once again, if you're proposing to trade Kreider in the offseason please explain why he would accept the deal? Not that "other plays have done it before" or anything. What reasons exactly would Kreider have to accept a deal elsewhere? Because there are a million reasons for him not to accept one such as:

1. Playing on a playoff team that is also theoretically at the beginning of their window
2. Having a career year
3. Has played on the team for 11 years
4. Has been in the organization for 13 years
5. Has never played for another team
6. Is one of the alternate captains/leaders of the time
7. Trading AAV for a NMC
8. Full NTC doesn't become partial for another 2 years
9. Plays in a city close to his hometown

etc.

So why is he accepting a deal? He's going to change his life around to do the organization a favor for not handling the cap correctly? He's going to feel unwanted if they reach a deal for him even though he knows it's not because he is unwanted but because they need cap space? He just wants to go to a state with less income tax or something?
Kreider will be here for all of the next 3 seasons is almost a given . That is our window with our current older core as it stands now....4 years if you want to stretch it a bit .

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I saw a tweet that looked to be from the official Canadiens account, which upon further review was a fake account.

It said:

Montreal traded for Vitali Kravtsov.

VK + 2022 1st for Arturri Lehkonen and Chris Wideman
They f***ing wish. LOL a smallish 1st rounder for a 30 point winger with 1 year of control. Oh, and Chris Wideman for no goddamn reason.

Not that it matters in this case, but the Rangers are at 49 contracts so they literally could not do a 1 for 3 type trade.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
A few people have already made a number of good points. Maybe it's a difference in philosophy but I think in large part the problems on offense and 5v5 will not come from replacing Strome with someone else, but rather some added depth and the day guys like Laf and Kakko become true impact players. The team will transform when that happenes. Laf is getting there, Kakko is getting more ice team, GG is starting to trust these guys in the top-6. So until that happens, could be as soon as next season, I think the smart move is add some talented cost controlled players that fit short and long term within the confines of the cap. Chychrun fits the bill. If you're being modest, he's real close to that top pairing defenceman mark, aside from maybe Miller no one projects as that.. it'd give us one of the deepest D groups in the league. His term matches up with Kreider and Troubas trade clauses as well

Chychrun does not change the 5v5 issues. Also again i will say it, trading those assets for chychrun when our deepest position on talent is defense is a horrible use of our assets. Strome sucks and needs to go. Hes not a center. We need a #2 center. By trading all those assets for chychrun MAYBE we are a bit bettter defensively but still doesnt change the issue of not having a 2nd line center. Then we trade other assets for that #2 center and vola we dont have any prospects left to fill in the ELC spots that will be necessary.

Just add players that can play 3rd line minutes and let the kids continue to grow.

No need for chychrun. Let him rot in Arizona for all i care

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Well, you say that, but just like 4th line players the quality still makes a big difference. For every Rooney there is a McKegg. For every Kevin Klein there's an Adam McQuaid
In all fairness....if McQuaid was at the earlier stage of his career compared to Klein he would have probably better then Klein with regard to what we needed...a rugged bastard who dropped them with anybody and actually could go with anybody....other teams knew when he was out there . When we got him he was completely shot . McQuaid also has a ring...those 3 years age difference upon arrival has to be considered when making comparisons.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
We need to trade some of the D prospects at some point. If you can get what you need, now is as good as later. His RD position is blocked for awhile.

You dont trade pieces like that for rentals, plain and simple.

JT Giroux all rentals. Let him rot in vancouver and if you wanna trade a 1st and chytl for him at the TDL next year thats what i will cost. No need to overpay on players who will not be here past a calender year.

Those players need to be moved for #2 center.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
there's also this narrative that players magically become slow. Kreider will always be fast.

The way he takes care of his body he will perform well into his mid-late 30's.
He should...he certainly does not abuse his body...even on the ice .

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
What type of contract is Claude Giroux looking at this summer? He turned 34 in January. The Flyers are terrible. Giroux's numbers are good.

View attachment 513386

Giroux is a top face-off guy. The Rangers have always needed help in that area.

NHL Faceoff Stats and Elo ratings

The Rangers need a center. I would rather have a 34 year old Giroux than Ryan Strome. Dallas gave Pavelski 3 years/$21M as a 34 year old. He has been very good for Dallas. He should get another good deal from the Stars.
Ugh... I don't want to offer a contract to a 34 year old center.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Giroux has a pretty impressive 40 points in 53 games this year on a horrible Flyers team. My issue with him is that 13 of his points have come on the PP. If he were acquired, is he taking Strome’s spot on PP1?

To put it in some perspective, Strome has 10 PP points out of his 39 total currently.

I fear that acquiring anyone with roughly 25-30% of their production being on the PP will lead to a higher acquisition cost compared to what his production will be on this specific team. The PP isn’t looking for a shot in the arm like teams in the past when they acquired guys like Yandle or Ozolinsh. The PP is already one of the leagues best.

In saying that, if the plan is to bring in Giroux and sign him to a 2-3 year deal like Pavelski did in Dallas I could see some interest there. In saying that, I wouldn’t be willing to trade Lundkvist, Othmann, or the Rangers 1st for him.

what will Giroux be looking for on his next deal? $5m? $6m? How many teams can both compete for a Cup and pay that price? There aren’t many.

That isn't that crazy of a ratio. Its actually a lot lower than I would have expected.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Ultimately I think Kreider comes down to a salary based move similar to Buch, just don’t know when it will happen.

It would be be a gangster move and the ultimate sell high play to trade him after this career year but I can’t imagine that happens. And based on the play this year, I think it would be a bad move to trade him now.

For the foreseeable future Kreider will be here.
There is probably a better chance that Kreider outlasts Panarin on the ice in NY . Panarin of slight frame plays two-3 more seasons and breaks down and we LTIR him work in Othmann and or revert Laf back to his natural wing . Kreider as suggested will remain in good physical condition and he does not play a taxing style versus guys like Hunt/Reaves/Goodrow /Blais .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
If you absolutely have to move out a large salary due to cap reasons, it should be Trouba anyways. We can handle a lesser return there and we currently have better internal replacements at D than we do at the forward positions.
Schneider will replace Trouba EASY !!!

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
You dont trade pieces like that for rentals, plain and simple.

JT Giroux all rentals. Let him rot in vancouver and if you wanna trade a 1st and chytl for him at the TDL next year thats what i will cost. No need to overpay on players who will not be here past a calender year.

Those players need to be moved for #2 center.
Correct. End of story.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
There is probably a better chance that Kreider outlasts Panarin on the ice in NY . Panarin of slight frame plays two-3 more seasons and breaks down and we LTIR him work in Othmann and or revert Laf back to his natural wing . Kreider as suggested will remain in good physical condition and he does not play a taxing style versus guys like Hunt/Reaves/Goodrow /Blais .
Panarin doesn't exactly take a lot of hits. I think he could stay productive (maybe even get back to his 2020 level of play) throughout the rest of his contract. Players like him don't really age that much. I don't think having a player like Panarin on PP1 with Kreider, Zib, and Fox for the next few years is a bad thing. It's like easy free goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad