Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVIII - Dust in the wind…

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Texier is a very average player. Strome w/o Panarin is at least a tier above him and maybe two for reference.

He's also a kid still. I like him, but he's been huffing and puffing a bit the last year or so without really finding traction. Not sure if the Rangers are a good fit for him, think some team like Nashville, more organized and systemic where players support each other better, would fit him better.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
He's also a kid still. I like him, but he's been huffing and puffing a bit the last year or so without really finding traction. Not sure if the Rangers are a good fit for him, think some team like Nashville, more organized and systemic where players support each other better, would fit him better.
He doesn't bring enough of an oomph quality to the table to make him useful to this team. Just kind of a vanilla skill forward who is going to want PP time for stats and future contracts.

He signed a pretty cheap bridge that started this year and you have to ask why Columbus, who sucks, wants to deal a 22 y/o guy on a great contract for futures.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think he meant the younger under 21 year old type assets like Kakko, Laf, Schneider, Robertson, Othmann, Jones.
Not guys like Fox, Igor, Lindgren, etc. (would assume KAM is part of those guys even if he super young).

Who is Russ Cohen?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I keep reading that it’s a buyer’s market this year. How come? To me it seems like a seller’s market. Very few teams totally bombed out.

I think part of that sentiment (Buyers Market) is that in the East, unless Columbus goes on a hell of a run and Boston shits the bed, the PO teams in the east are set. that means you have 8 potential sellers

In the west it's a bit more murky, but SJ, CHI, SEA, AZ are pretty much all out of the PO picture. If VAN and WPG cough up more points they could easily fall out of the race.

that could make it 14 Sellers

I could see that being a "buyers" market

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I don't put TOO much into these in-person evaluations anymore as "oh X team is interested in Y player anymore" because it's 2022 and historical video data exists to teams about as fast as it takes the interns to query the NHL database and go through it, which is basically a single weekend.

But I guess a lot of NHL front office guys are old school and rely on being in-person, which may give a marginal, if any, upgrade over massive amounts of video.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't put TOO much into these in-person evaluations anymore as "oh X team is interested in Y player anymore" because it's 2022 and historical video data exists to teams about as fast as it takes the interns to query the NHL database and go through it, which is basically a single weekend.

But I guess a lot of NHL front office guys are old school and rely on being in-person, which may give a marginal, if any, upgrade over massive amounts of video.

Talking to people in the org in person definitely plays into it.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think part of that sentiment (Buyers Market) is that in the East, unless Columbus goes on a hell of a run and Boston shits the bed, the PO teams in the east are set. that means you have 8 potential sellers

In the west it's a bit more murky, but SJ, CHI, SEA, AZ are pretty much all out of the PO picture. If VAN and WPG cough up more points they could easily fall out of the race.

that could make it 14 Sellers

I could see that being a "buyers" market
Not to mention, a lot of the Supposed “ favorites” to win the cup, have already moved a lot of their 1st rd picks.
With that many playoff/non playoff teams set, there isn’t a lot of teams left willing to move their 1st rd picks

Reactions: pld459666

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Rangers acquired Clowe in 2013. Part of that trade was San Jose gets a second rounder conditional on the Rangers re-signing him. They let him walk and didn't have to pay the pick. 8 years later they get him back anyways. We're playing Connect Four and everyone else is playing Battleship (inferior game).

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He doesn't bring enough of an oomph quality to the table to make him useful to this team. Just kind of a vanilla skill forward who is going to want PP time for stats and future contracts.

He signed a pretty cheap bridge that started this year and you have to ask why Columbus, who sucks, wants to deal a 22 y/o guy on a great contract for futures.
Well that's half of it. Mika is not traded if he's tearing it up as a 50G 1C.

You try to project what they can be. We've hit some homeruns in the past. Strome was 'average' as well. Sometimes a change of scenery is the necessary kick in the ass. Playing with Panarin wouldn't hurt.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

I’m intrigued by Tex. He’s 22 until September. He’s got 20 points in 36 games on a less than explosive offensive team. He’s definitely got upside. He’s also an even player on a team where only 6 or 7 regulars are even or better. Depending on what an actual deal looked like, I would certainly kick the tires on a 22 year old center with upside.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Ryane Clowe. I always wanted him back. He was a solid player. Sadly injuries hurt his career towards the end. If Cuylle is our Ryane Clowe down the road, id take it.

Players like that often have short careers and often nothing of any use after age 30. Tough way to earn a living playing hockey and it takes it's toll.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Lucic, Clowe... all pretty useless post age 30.

Reactions: leetch99

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Players like that often have short careers and often nothing of any use after age 30. Tough way to earn a living playing hockey and it takes it's toll.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Lucic, Clowe... all pretty useless post age 30.

Keith Tkachuk, Roenick, Shane Doan, Dustin Brown, Gary Roberts, Shane Corson all play that physical game and played till late 30s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad