Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVII - 5 weeks until TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Winnipeg is even more koolaid drinking cultish stingy about trading their stars than Vancouver or Buffalo considering they can't attract any. It would be the same over the top 4-5 1st ask that takes months to happen, or in Winnipeg's timeline, years.
I thought I had read something about a falling out at the Spahn Ranch

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
No interest in Scheifele. I like what has developed here in Strome.

Would much rather use assets to improve RW and strong depth.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
iu

he's the exact player we do not need

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
man Patrick's career just can never gain traction. Possible head injury
Not to be unsympathetic, but purely from a team construction standpoint in this thread, possible LITR of him?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Seems pretty obvious to me Gallant doesn’t like Barron as much as us

If he thought he was worth playing, he would be playing
I don’t know about that. They’ve obviously got him hanging around for a reason... it took Gallant this long to go with Jones over Nemeth/Hajek/Tinordi.....
There might be some hope for Barron this season...
The biggest thing with me is, wouldn’t you like to find that out before the TDL?
If he fits somewhere and makes 3rd/4th line better, it’s going to affect the pieces Drury goes after a little.
Plus you’d get to evaluate his progress to see if he’s in the long range plans for next season...
It just seems like Gallant will give the vets up to the last possible chance to prove themselves before finally making the obvious logical switch that makes the team better.
It’s one of the few gripes I have about him this season.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think the best move for the Rangers now is to kick the 2C decision into the summer when guys like Scheifele could be more available. By then, both Strome's camp and the Rangers will know where the other stands on contract talks.

At the deadline this year focus on depth and stylistic fits. Lehkonen would be a great add for the bottom 6. Domi or DeBrusk are interesting to me as buy low guys who maybe you can catch lightning in a bottle in the top6. Miller & Pysyk from BUF are also interesting as cheap depth options (and familiar with Gallant) if they arent fully sold on an all-rookie pair in the playoffs.
Imo, that’s been the plan for a while. I don’t see them breaking up panarin/strome at this point in the year.
They’ll upgrade on Gauthier to a Lehkonen/Brown, and possibly on Chytil if he doesn’t go into the TDL playing strong.
This stretch is very important for Jones and Chytil imo.
The way they place is going to dictate if Drury trades for guys to replace them in the line up, or just grabs an insurance type piece and rolls with both of them into the playoffs

Reactions: McRanger92

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Same but in the videos of him in practise I did think he looked off. May be over analyzing due to his injury so maybe it's a placebo effect but he looked very stiff. His neck wasn't curved in a natural way when he was skating and he seemed awkwardly upright, wasn't swivelling to look around, etc. Very curious to see how he plays tonight.
It’ll be interesting to see if someone does a side by side comparison video. Eichel has always had an awkward stride/stance but he definitely looks different to me as well.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Imo, that’s been the plan for a while. I don’t see them breaking up panarin/strome at this point in the year.
They’ll upgrade on Gauthier to a Lehkonen/Brown, and possibly on Chytil if he doesn’t go into the TDL playing strong.
This stretch is very important for Jones and Chytil imo.
The way they place is going to dictate if Drury trades for guys to replace them in the line up, or just grabs an insurance type piece and rolls with both of them into the playoffs

No matter what they end up doing, they absolutely need to add a top 6 forward of some sort. Kakko 's timeline seems more like hell be out indefinitely and we cant survive in the srping with Dryden Hunt in the top 6. Goodrow's game is best in the bottom 6 as well.

Andrew Copp, Rickard Rakell, Max Domi, Jake deBrusk. Im probably missing some but that the group i think you can get at the deadline for less than a 1st. Hertl/Pavelski/Giroux seem unlikely at this point for varying reasons

Reactions: LokiDog

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not to be unsympathetic, but purely from a team construction standpoint in this thread, possible LITR of him?
I'm sure but for the sake of the cap? He does make 2.4 million I guess. Add Stone and they just saved what 12 million? Would have liked Riley Smith here but looking less and less likely

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Might be an unpopular take, but I'd rather have Georgiev as the backup in the playoffs this season than Kinkaid.

Georgy is extremely unreliable but when he's hot, he's hot. I'd gamble on that in the playoffs in the event of a Shesterkin injury rather than have a consistently mediocre performer in Kinkaid. The team as it stands isn't good enough to go deep in the playoffs without star goaltending.
Agreed 100%. I really dislike Georgiev because of how inconsistent he is but in the event Shesterkin gets hurt again, I would absolutely prefer Georgie to Kinkaid. Kinkaid seems like a good teammate and he works hard but he stinks. People's perception is a bit warped bc he played decent last season and Georgiev was a dumpster fire but a team trying to win can't have Kinkaid as their backup when your starter has injury concerns. Him looking "good" last season had him marginally outplaying/equaling a Georgiev who was at his worst. So if a Georgiev deal pops up, another goalie needs to be acquired somehow to pull the trigger. No way am I comfortable going into the playoffs with Kinkaid as the backup.

Reactions: McSauer

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Same but in the videos of him in practise I did think he looked off. May be over analyzing due to his injury so maybe it's a placebo effect but he looked very stiff. His neck wasn't curved in a natural way when he was skating and he seemed awkwardly upright, wasn't swivelling to look around, etc. Very curious to see how he plays tonight.
Hasn't that always been Eichel's skating posture? I feel like he always skates with his upper body very straight and upright.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Hasn't that always been Eichel's skating posture? I feel like he always skates with his upper body very straight and upright.
Possibly, I don’t watch him a ton but looking back at clips of him playing before he did move his neck forward more while skating. He has always been a pretty unorthodox skater though. Thought he might’ve just been taking it easy in practise but in that first period he did look every bit as “off” to me. It looks like he’s afraid of moving his neck and having it anything but completely upright

Reactions: Glen Sathers Cigar

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
It’ll be interesting to see if someone does a side by side comparison video. Eichel has always had an awkward stride/stance but he definitely looks different to me as well.
Did you watch the 1st period? What did you think? He looked every bit as “off” to me as he did in the practise videos. But I don’t see many people pointing it out lol

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Watching Canes-Panthers and now Avs-Knights, it's very clear that these teams are at another level of depth. Our D depth may be on the verge of being solved if we can just trust the rooks, but our forwards are a minimum of 2 players away from being able to match the depth of either team. Quite frankly, the team we match up best against is the Panthers and only because they're not quite as fast as the other teams. Knights, Canes and Avs are very fast up front. They attack with constant waves. They will simply dismantle us 5v5.

But not sure how much we should be willing to spend to fix the issue this season. I'd be open to moving some B prospects or picks, but if it's a pure rental -- def none of the 22 first round pick, Schneider, Jones, Robertson, Barron, Berard, Cullye, Lundkvist or Othmann. If we're trading for an top 9 player with term who can increase the overall skill, speed, forecheck of the team (and it can make cap sense) then i'd be more open to moving VK, Lundkvist, Robertson and possibly, the 22 1st. But I'm not moving any of those pieces outside VK for someone like Lehkonen. It would need to be a bigger asset.

That being said, if we plan to compete against the best in the POs -- we simply can't expect much if McKegg, Rooney and Gauthier are making up half of our bottom 6. Not when the other 3 (when Kakko comes back) are Chytil, Reaves and Goodrow.

I think one of Mckegg, Rooney and Gauth can be in the lineup but not all 3. So that means we're minimum 2 forwards away from matching depth. Next year, Blais comes back and we possibly add a rookie or two from Barron, Cullye and Berard and we're not that far off, really.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Carolina has lost 4 out of their last 5, matching our worst 5 game stretch (while Igor was out), and are now 2 points up with a game in hand.
They were literally an inch away from winning tonight.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Watching Canes-Panthers and now Avs-Knights, it's very clear that these teams are at another level of depth. Our D depth may be on the verge of being solved if we can just trust the rooks, but our forwards are a minimum of 2 players away from being able to match the depth of either team. Quite frankly, the team we match up best against is the Panthers and only because they're not quite as fast as the other teams. Knights, Canes and Avs are very fast up front. They attack with constant waves. They will simply dismantle us 5v5.

But not sure how much we should be willing to spend to fix the issue this season. I'd be open to moving some B prospects or picks, but if it's a pure rental -- def none of the 22 first round pick, Schneider, Jones, Robertson, Barron, Berard, Cullye, Lundkvist or Othmann. If we're trading for an top 9 player with term who can increase the overall skill, speed, forecheck of the team (and it can make cap sense) then i'd be more open to moving VK, Lundkvist, Robertson and possibly, the 22 1st. But I'm not moving any of those pieces outside VK for someone like Lehkonen. It would need to be a bigger asset.

That being said, if we plan to compete against the best in the POs -- we simply can't expect much if McKegg, Rooney and Gauthier are making up half of our bottom 6. Not when the other 3 (when Kakko comes back) are Chytil, Reaves and Goodrow.

I think one of Mckegg, Rooney and Gauth can be in the lineup but not all 3. So that means we're minimum 2 forwards away from matching depth. Next year, Blais comes back and we possibly add a rookie or two from Barron, Cullye and Berard and we're not that far off, really.

Totally agree. Long-term the Rangers probably feel they are set in the top 6 with Mika/Kreider/Panarin/Kakko/Laf/Othmann and either Strome or a replacement 2C. Defense is also basically locked in for the foreseeable future.

To truly make a run in the playoffs they need to build a cheap and functional bottom 6. Really want to add Lehkonen this year, then going forward Goodrow & Blais are solid and experienced guys, but the Barron/Cuylle/Berard group will be really important to this window because they can hopefully give us some of that straight ahead play on the cheap as guys like Rooney/Reaves/Hunt get phased out.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad