Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVII - 5 weeks until TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I know Scheifle isn’t a perfect player but his compete level seems top notch when I have watched Winnipeg games. May not be my first choice but I would be interested

I like Scheifle but I rather ask what the price of Dubois. I think Dubois under our coach would do wonders for him.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I know Scheifle isn’t a perfect player but his compete level seems top notch when I have watched Winnipeg games. May not be my first choice but I would be interested

I think the best move for the Rangers now is to kick the 2C decision into the summer when guys like Scheifele could be more available. By then, both Strome's camp and the Rangers will know where the other stands on contract talks.

At the deadline this year focus on depth and stylistic fits. Lehkonen would be a great add for the bottom 6. Domi or DeBrusk are interesting to me as buy low guys who maybe you can catch lightning in a bottle in the top6. Miller & Pysyk from BUF are also interesting as cheap depth options (and familiar with Gallant) if they arent fully sold on an all-rookie pair in the playoffs.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
doubtful. Playoff games are rarely blow outs. Especially with top notch goaltending and a good Pk/PP.
You can always count on the refs making some phantom/tickey tack calls to keeps teams in and keep the games close for the ratings.
It’s highly likely we win a round or 2 and that’s it, however If a couple of our guys on offense get hot and Drury makes 1-2 solid depth adds at the TDL, I’d give us a bit more then a punchers chance to do some damage in the postseason.
I think NYR can play with anyone in the East. Not a shot the Pens Roll over us.
The 2 biggest worries imo would be facing Tampa/Carolina and odds are we’d only see 1 of them.
Same in the west. Colorado/Vegas etc. if we get that face to face 1 of them in the final, the season is a massive success.
NYR can absolutely win a 7 GM series against Pitt/Boston/WSH imo

Please take my comment re: getting lit up as intended. I mean in terms of team hockey. I didn’t mean shesty, and I didn’t mean in terms of score. But I doubt we win more than 1 round with our current roster. Still a success, and more coming. But the whole point of this thread is to fantasize about ways to be better.

I still argue we should fill top down, not bottom up. We have plenty of 4th liners. Some who could probably move up to 3rd and at least be effective. But we have a rookie Dman at 3LD, and a tremendously talented but still learning 2 LD in Miller. Throw in Schneider, and teams have 2 pairings to score on us against. That’s going to be the part that holds us back.

Also the 5-5 play. That’s why I’d love to see a 2C trade, giving us the option to play Strome at 2RW where his defensive issues don’t hurt as much, or to slide him down(less likely). A trade like that slides Laffy or Kakko down to 3rd line.

We do these two moves, and fill in with some complementary pieces and we can come very close. Experience might hold us back this year, but we’d be a favorite every year coming for the next while.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I think he'd be awesome here. If you could get another team to hold 50%, his cap hit would be like 3 mill and your two top 6 guys would be Zib and Scheifele - that's an unreal 1-2 punch down the middle.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I think the best move for the Rangers now is to kick the 2C decision into the summer when guys like Scheifele could be more available. By then, both Strome's camp and the Rangers will know where the other stands on contract talks.

At the deadline this year focus on depth and stylistic fits. Lehkonen would be a great add for the bottom 6. Domi or DeBrusk are interesting to me as buy low guys who maybe you can catch lightning in a bottle in the top6. Miller & Pysyk from BUF are also interesting as cheap depth options (and familiar with Gallant) if they arent fully sold on an all-rookie pair in the playoffs.
Absolutely to this! Spend some assets to shore up the bottom part of the lineup and then go out and get the big guys this summer.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Lehkonen Goodrow Blais is the kind of 3rd line that plays big on a cup contender come playoff time

Amen.

But that means Laf and Kakko HAVE TO grab the top six RW spots permanently and the only open spot is 2C. Which means Chytil and Kravtsov are out. But that’s the way it kind of has to be. There’s only so many top six spots and not everyone is built to succeed in the bottom six. Moreover, we may LIKE all of our guys, but what’s more important is building a winning combination.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009

Yep. This is perfect. The team is going to use this playoff to gain experience and evaluate what they have. Also the 2C decision may be impacted by how Chytil plays down the stretch.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
And then I asked you which one was more important to fill first - 2C or 3rd line winger. So which of those is more important

Absolutely to this! Spend some assets to shore up the bottom part of the lineup and then go out and get the big guys this summer.

Did we change your mind from earlier? It seemed like you were against anything that wasn’t a 2C upgrade

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Amen.

But that means Laf and Kakko HAVE TO grab the top six RW spots permanently and the only open spot is 2C. Which means Chytil and Kravtsov are out. But that’s the way it kind of has to be. There’s only so many top six spots and not everyone is built to succeed in the bottom six. Moreover, we may LIKE all of our guys, but what’s more important is building a winning combination.

Pretty much this. Unless they do something drastic like let Goodrow center Panarin and Chytil center Lehkonen and Blais or push Blais to the 4th line to start the season and play on of them at wing on the 3rd line.

Either way, Lehkonen is the right move in terms of continuing to build the team in the right direction. It’s not a ‘sexy’ move but he would help move another step in the right direction

Reactions: LokiDog

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Did we change your mind from earlier? It seemed like you were against anything that wasn’t a 2C upgrade
I don't mind sprinkling a few picks and lower prospects for rentals. I worry about having to pay a third liner a raise on the 2.3 million he already getting.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Yep. This is perfect. The team is going to use this playoff to gain experience and evaluate what they have. Also the 2C decision may be impacted by how Chytil plays down the stretch.

Dont get me wrong, ive been vocally on board with trading for JT Miller. But if you do so now youre basically guaranteeing Strome walks, and you have to make a similar decision on JT after next year. Its still an acceptable path for them to take, but Drury seems to follow the "if you have time, use it" mantra.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Let's just assume we have all our assets and don't make a big deal - what does a Scheifele deal look like?

I wonder if other players would be available that may fit better in the offseason. Copp is a UFA. What does Trochek ask for? What’s the asking price on Larkin or does Detroit feel they can re-sign him? What does Vegas do with Karlsson?

The offseason is going to be similar to this deadline. There won’t be many teams with that much cap space. Some guys will get squeezed.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I wonder if other players would be available that may fit better in the offseason. Copp is a UFA. What does Trochek ask for? What’s the asking price on Larkin or does Detroit feel they can re-sign him? What does Vegas do with Karlsson?

The offseason is going to be similar to this deadline. There won’t be many teams with that much cap space. Some guys will get squeezed.
The bonus on a guy like Scheifele is that he's already signed for two more seasons after this one, and if you can get some salary retention, it's better for the Rangers than paying a UFA or what you'll have to pay Larkin after next season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't mind sprinkling a few picks and lower prospects for rentals. I worry about having to pay a third liner a raise on the 2.3 million he already getting.

I don’t think Lehkonen + Goodrow on the 3rd line for a total of around $6-6.5m collectively isn’t a killer if the 3rd wheel on that line comes in around $1-1.5m. $7.5-8m for a complete 3rd line seems in line with a decent cap percentage. After next season, we probably see the team unload a Trouba or Kreider just to replenish depth and alleviate some cap constraints as needed. We could include Strome in that grouping as well if he’s re-signed and maybe Goodrow as well.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The bonus on a guy like Scheifele is that he's already signed for two more seasons after this one, and if you can get some salary retention, it's better for the Rangers than paying a UFA or what you'll have to pay Larkin after next season.

No argument on that. If the team were paying out the nose on someone, I’d prefer someone signed for more than a year. In saying that, Scheifele’s defensive play is not a strength so we need to ask if he’s the right finishing move for this team.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
No argument on that. If the team were paying out the nose on someone, I’d prefer someone signed for more than a year. In saying that, Scheifele’s defensive play is not a strength so we need to ask if he’s the right finishing move for this team.
I think the defense and Igor, plus Zib and Goodrow and hopefully Barron can make up for any lapses he has.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Amen.

Well, Kakko and Laf could always shift down to 3rd line spots, and Laf of course can play LW too. Goodrow can play any spot and Lehkonen can play both wings. Which means we could always acquire a rental top 6 winger and shift the underperformer of Kakko/Laf down to 3rd line and put one of the Lehk/Goodrow/Blais guys on the 4th line. All 3 of those guys would be getting plenty of minutes through PK duties regardless.

I think neither Kravstov nor Chytil are on the roster starting next season.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Lundkvist/Chytil/pick for JT Miller at 50%
Kravstov for Lehkonen

Kreider Zib Laf
Panarin Strome Miller
Lehkonen Goodrow Kakko
Hunt Rooney Reaves

2022-23
Kreider Zib Laf
Panarin Strome Kakko
Lehkonen Miller Blais
Barron Goodrow Reaves

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think the defense and Igor, plus Zib and Goodrow and hopefully Barron can make up for any lapses he has.

That’s fair. I then need to ask, when delving into the stats, is Scheifele worth the cost to acquire him plus his new contract when it comes (or do they let him walk) versus just re-signing Strome who has similar deficiencies (defensive).

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
That’s fair. I then need to ask, when delving into the stats, is Scheifele worth the cost to acquire him plus his new contract when it comes (or do they let him walk) versus just re-signing Strome who has similar deficiencies (defensive).
I think you get two years to evaluate that instead of just one for those other guys like Miller or Larkin. And in two years the cap is going to be bigger, maybe not by much but it is. You get the kick that can down the road farther with a guy like him instead of worrying about giving a guy a retirement contract when you gotta pay a bunch of other guys.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Let's just assume we have all our assets and don't make a big deal - what does a Scheifele deal look like?

Nils Chytil Mutliple 1sts. Maybe Robertson in place of one of those assets

Winnipeg will want Schneider, as Vancouver does, but you go quantity over quality to bridge the gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad