Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVII - 5 weeks until TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Going forward, the NYR needs to figure out the guys they want part of their bottom-six going into next year. To me, they can easily use Goodrow and Chytil as 2/3 of the third line, but they need to get a speedy forechecker on that line like a Vatrano that can also pot some offense. Gauthier isn't consistent enough. He needs to be a nasty, crash and bang winger. I said that last year. He's so fast and big, has the shot, that he needs his presence to be felt every shift. The fourth line for next year is probably, 2/3 of it, Rooney-Reaves. Maybe Barron is inserted as a 4LW? Solid on draws. Going to need to go cheap in the bottom six to address 2C. Teams with McKegg, Gauthier and Hunt in the bottom-six will get taken out by teams with stronger bottom-six players.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Going forward, the NYR needs to figure out the guys they want part of their bottom-six going into next year. To me, they can easily use Goodrow and Chytil as 2/3 of the third line, but they need to get a speedy forechecker on that line like a Vatrano that can also pot some offense. Gauthier isn't consistent enough. He needs to be a nasty, crash and bang winger. I said that last year. He's so fast and big, has the shot, that he needs his presence to be felt every shift. The fourth line for next year is probably, 2/3 of it, Rooney-Reaves. Maybe Barron is inserted as a 4LW? Solid on draws. Going to need to go cheap in the bottom six to address 2C. Teams with McKegg, Gauthier and Hunt in the bottom-six will get taken out by teams with stronger bottom-six players.

They need to acquire a top 6 player to push Goodrow to the bottom 6. Barron should be replacing either Hunt or Gauthier on line 3.On top of that they probably need one more 3rd liner who can push the other guy down. Barring a Nils/Krav package bringing in a forward with term, im hoping we see:

Kreider-Mika-Laf
Panarin-Strome-Reilly Smith
Lehkonen-Goodrow-Chytil
Rooney-Barron-Reaves

Reactions: Anthony5967

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Since we seem dead set on moving Nils, what about reaching out to Toronto to see if they'd make a deal around Nils for Nick Robertson? It helps TOR add more to their defensive pipeline, and Nils and Sandin could be a really good 2nd pairing of the future for them. Robertson is an incredible skater who's scored at every level he's played and would perfectly throughout our entire lineup.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Since we seem dead set on moving Nils, what about reaching out to Toronto to see if they'd make a deal around Nils for Nick Robertson? It helps TOR add more to their defensive pipeline, and Nils and Sandin could be a really good 2nd pairing of the future for them. Robertson is an incredible skater who's scored at every level he's played and would perfectly throughout our entire lineup.

Do we need another LW?

Reactions: Barnaby

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Without Kaapo and other injuries:

Kreider-Zibs-Laf
Pana-Stromer-Chytil
Barron-Goodrow-Hunt
Reaves-Rooney-Gauthier

Lindgren-Fox
Key-Trouba
Jones-Schneider

My god, our bottom-6 blows major ass.

We can either trade way too much to add tons of players to a roster that still has issues because of Kakko and Laf not being studs yet, or, we can just punt.

We should punt.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
There’s no problem with Hunt when they keep him on 4th line.
Don’t forget you have Blais coming back as well for next season. So I doubt they want to add someone with too much term unless they want him for more then a year.
For the rest of this season, I think upgrading Gauthier is a must to shift him down in a 4th line rotation with Hunt/Rooney/Reaves and McKegg, cause you just know McKegg isn’t going anywhere....

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Your bottom line doesn't have to be anything special to win in this league but it helps if it's not AHL trash. It also helps as a fan base if you have some at least intriguing guys that are worth watching such as Barron in your bottom 6 and Blais on the 4th line.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
They need to acquire a top 6 player to push Goodrow to the bottom 6. Barron should be replacing either Hunt or Gauthier on line 3.On top of that they probably need one more 3rd liner who can push the other guy down. Barring a Nils/Krav package bringing in a forward with term, im hoping we see:

Kreider-Mika-Laf
Panarin-Strome-Reilly Smith
Lehkonen-Goodrow-Chytil
Rooney-Barron-Reaves

Add Kravtsov in here too and that looks half decent.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If our coaching staff in Hartford and NY isn't capable of teaching a player to switch from one wing to another should they even be employed as our coaching staff?

Regardless, we have more than enough wingers who are still trying to figure it out at the NHL level, or soon will be. We don't need another one. We need centers way more than we need wingers.

Reactions: Riche16 and mas0764

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Regardless, we have more than enough wingers who are still trying to figure it out at the NHL level, or soon will be. We don't need another one. We need centers way more than we need wingers.
To respond to what you said above, he’s not solely a LW and has played every F position throughout his professional career. He’s been at RW with the Marlies since coming back from injury.

I also think the team simply needs good players, regardless if they’re wingers or centers. We’re routinely playing Dryden Hunt in the top-6 and Greg McKegg every night. Chytil’s had a massive regression in his shooting%, and now you have people ready to move him for picks when they were (very stupidly) saying he was better than Dylan Larkin this offseason.

Robertson is a dynamic skater with a ton of skill and is different than any other player we have in our system.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If our coaching staff in Hartford and NY isn't capable of teaching a player to switch from one wing to another should they even be employed as our coaching staff?
Don’t think it’s that simple. Also don’t think there is a ton of evidence, especially in Hartford and NY, that it is that easy

Reactions: Barnaby

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Keep dreaming if you think hes going to come back to the Rangers AND on top of that play regularly over guys who have been here all year

I see no reason why you couldn't platoon him and Barron down the stretch in different roles.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Id rather just play Barron, who didnt flee the country when he was sent to Hartford and has instead been called up and down without complaint for the entire first half. Because thats how young players improve.

I'd rather play the guy with top 6 talent so as not to lose him for little or nothing. Barron is so hardy as you've pointed out that it shouldn't result in him pouting.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Kreider is having the best season of his career, I have no desire to change anything with him right now.
Yea, to me if Laf is as good as they say he is, this shouldn’t be the thing that breaks him. He’s surrounded by very good players and coaches on this team. Panarin plays the off-wing. I sure hope he’s giving the kid a hand on how to adjust.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'd rather play the guy with top 6 talent so as not to lose him for little or nothing. Barron is so hardy as you've pointed out that it shouldn't result in him pouting.

Not everything is as black and white as you make it seem

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Not everything is as black and white as you make it seem

Pot meet kettle on that one.

People make it seem like it's all Kravtsov's fault and there's no room for redemption.

Yeah, maybe there's some nuance there and perhaps that's worth exploring. Maybe we don't need such strict adherence to outdated concepts like "this lesser talented player earned it," and "making exceptions kills the locker room." Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Reactions: Kords
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad