Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVI - It’s Miller Time…K-A

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
My feelings on Miller are that he’s a good player and would make us better this year, but probably not contender better and then next year when Strome walks, a lot of the improvement of adding Miller (depth) dissipates unless one of the kids takes a really big step (and we know how waiting on that has gone…). For this year with both Strome AND Miller, yes… that’s a much deeper lineup.

Next year Miller* will likely command a bigger contract than Strome will get this summer. I think he’s perceived as the better/more complete player and doesn’t have the stigma Strome has (Panarin product, previous performances, etc). So while kicking that can down the road a year enable us to get creative with how we clear space and gauge what Kakko has gotten and Laf is about to get, it doesn’t really solve our problem and Miller alone isn’t a HUGE upgrade on Strome.

The asset cost to kick the can down the road is likely too high for my taste. If the price tag in Giroux is lower than Miller, for example, and we’re set on making a splash, I would rather pay the lower cost despite it being a rental.

Obviously the names we hear on rotation are Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist. I would rather risk including a guy like Kakko or Miller on a trade for a young, cost controlled stud C and figure out how to fill the Miller or Kakko hole than have a marginal 2C upgrade for one year and still lose half of the assets it would cost to up your ante and go for a young guy who will be part of the core.

I don’t have specific targets in mind. Given Vegas’ cap situation, I would also rather use great ELC assets (that wouldn’t effect their cap because they can be sent down - Krav/Lundkvist) and pry Karlsson away because of his contract and the style of player he is. Feels like a better fit.

Otherwise, if we’re so pumped to make a splash, go get Andrew Copp. See if you can re-sign him to the Goodrow deal. You now have an elite third line with guys who can slot up.

Last edited:

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
I'm really worried about Drury heading into this TDL. He's somewhat lucked himself into a playoff spot. The players that were here last year are better or on par with last season. The additions he made are fine but he's overpaid on each one. Goodrow deal is about 3 years too long. Nemeth hasn't worked out but even if he did he was signed for an extra year or 2. Esp with Jones/Robertson in the pipeline. The Buch deal is just bad, esp if he really did have better deals on the table. I'm worried he's going to give up a ton for 1 playoff run, and then next season we're one Shesty injury from being in the Bedard sweepstakes (and hopefully he didn't trade that first for a Miller type)

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Still not worth the cost. I'd rather spend much less on someone like Reilly Smith and keep our options open for the summer.
I think that's reasonable. I'm just tired of all the reactions like "J.T. Miller?! FROM BEFORETIMES?" as if the time between then and now counts for nothing.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Do some of you still think that RW spot on PP1 is still Strome's?

I wish the RW spot on 5v5 2nd line was Stromes with a defence-oriented 50+ center who wins faceoffs as the constant. Icing on the cake would be that player is at least semi physical and cycles the net.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I just don't like Miller's face and attitude.

We don't like your attitude & we're negotiating to trade you to the Nucks board when Miller is traded here. Hoping you return a 7th rounder, but we'll settle for future considerations.

kidding. keep up the good work.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I think that's reasonable. I'm just tired of all the reactions like "J.T. Miller?! FROM BEFORETIMES?" as if the time between then and now counts for nothing.

Its not about him being or not being that player anymore and i agree people need to stop. Its about the cost of his acquisition and him being a stop gap for a year. We will not be recouping those assets bc you know we would self rent him next year.

Meanwhile, I and others are hoping that we trade lesser assets for players who can help but wont break the bank on our prospect pool. Then in the offseason, trade a slightly bit more than everyone posting here and get that #2 center for now and the future.

Also use our capspace like Arizona wants to and get more picks for taking players on. Which in that case will increase the proponents that we can add into a trade for IE larkin type.

Getting JT just kicks the can down the road 2 seasons where we will be in the same boat now with lesser assets to give away. Its just simply not the right way to go in my eyes.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
My feelings on Miller are that he’s a good player and would make us better this year, but probably not contender better and then next year when Strome walks, a lot of the improvement of adding Miller (depth) dissipates unless one of the kids takes a really big step (and we know how waiting on that has gone…). For this year with both Strome AND Miller, yes… that’s a much deeper lineup.

Next year Miller* will likely command a bigger contract than Strome will get this summer. I think he’s perceived as the better/more complete player and doesn’t have the stigma Strome has (Panarin product, previous performances, etc). So while kicking that can down the road a year enable us to get creative with how we clear space and gauge what Kakko has gotten and Laf is about to get, it doesn’t really solve our problem and Miller alone isn’t a HUGE upgrade on Strome.

The asset cost to kick the can down the road is likely too high for my taste. If the price tag in Giroux is lower than Miller, for example, and we’re set on making a splash, I would rather pay the lower cost despite it being a rental.

Obviously the names we hear on rotation are Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist. I would rather risk including a guy like Kakko or Miller on a trade for a young, cost controlled stud C and figure out how to fill the Miller or Kakko hole than have a marginal 2C upgrade for one year and still lose half of the assets it would cost to up your ante and go for a young guy who will be part of the core.

I don’t have specific targets in mind. Given Vegas’ cap situation, I would also rather use great ELC assets (that wouldn’t effect their cap because they can be sent down - Krav/Lundkvist) and pry Karlsson away because of his contract and the style of player he is. Feels like a better fit.

Otherwise, if we’re so pumped to make a splash, go get Andrew Copp. See if you can re-sign him to the Goodrow deal. You now have an elite third line with guys who can slot up.

Copp is a much better splash move. And Rangers and Jets have made recent deals. He is ready for a new contract, but it likely won't be much higher in price then he has right now and you can get him for a good amount of years. AND the package would likely be more reasonable. Chytil, Lundqvist and a 2nd. Maybe have to make it a conditional 1st say if he resigns or if we make the Conference Finals. That's a deal I think most here would be very happy with.

Hell, you might even be able to keep him and Strome if you get these guys to buy in and take some team friendly deals like all the other good teams besides us seem to get. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad