Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIX - I Won’t Back Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
I dont understand the Chytil sediment... he gets 3rd line minutes no PP time and scores at a 3rd line rate... you want more production? Increase his usage :laugh: It makes zero sense, he scores just as much as anyone else in that role
I saw more out of Barron last night than Chytil has shown. Baron was physical, set up some scoring chances and was set up for shots as well. He sees the ice a hell of a lot better and can set up his teammates. FC has no hockey IQ or vision. Its not only production it is the fact that he lacks purpose on the ice except for the flash in the pan once in a great while. I don't think it was coincidence that the line Barron was on last night played a lot better than it would have with FC.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The amount of u24 talent on this team right now is truly something special. I imagine this is how the Rangers looked in the early 90s before they emptied the clip for the 94 Cup.

Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Jones, Schneider on D with Nils & Robertson gaining experience in HFD. Laf, Kakko, Chytil, Gauthier (who i still cant quit), Barron up front with guys like Othmann, Cuylle, Berard & Pajuniemi potentially being ready to contribute over the next 2-3 years. Even Garand is looking like a solid long-term project behind Igor.

Certainly some of these guys are more likely than others to be dealt and not everyone is going to work out at the NHL level, but its truly an embarrassment of riches for the organization. To be able to have these guys come up through the ranks for a team building a winning culture in front of Igor has me feeling as good about the franchise direction as I have since 2014

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
eh I just dunno, it's hard to have patience with guys like Chytil and Gauthier because they seem to sit there "almost getting it" but never get over the hump

Every tiem Chytil looks like he's breaking out, he gets hurt, then he comes back and it takes awhile to get going
so far it's not enough. how long do you keep hoping to rely on him to be more than he has been? that's the real problem...you can have patience but if it's always "ok well not this year BUT NEXT YEAR"

Gauthier has done this stretch several times...looks great, creates chances, can't finish, will lapse into a quiet stretch again soon. I'm not sure he's gonna break out of it.
Not the same ...Chytil makes 3 X more than Gauthier . Gauthier will be a million dollar giant with speed....he does stuff many can't and I agree he needs to do it more often and I think after another 30 + games with Gallant ...he will and if not there is absolutely no reason he cannot be a successful 4th liner here at that amount and with his size and speed he can play up if needed in case of injuries . In all honesty...I don't know who else is available for league minimum / million a year and can skate and play like he does . We will need cheap contracts.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I saw more out of Barron last night than Chytil has shown. Baron was physical, set up some scoring chances and was set up for shots as well. He sees the ice a hell of a lot better and can set up his teammates. FC has no hockey IQ or vision. Its not only production it is the fact that he lacks purpose on the ice except for the flash in the pan once in a great while. I don't think it was coincidence that the line Barron was on last night played a lot better than it would have with FC.
Barron looked great... idk what Chytil that is, agree to disagree

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Arthur Staple saying the Rangers inquired about Forsberg but that it's more of a longshot than any of the other names that have been mentioned before.

I've been pushing for this all season until I thought NSH would hold on for a playoff push. Sounds like a contract disagreement .

Does he only play LW?

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
How would that work?

It wouldnt unless he is able to play the RW. Just like Laffy.

I love him as a player but right now we cant afford the cap hit after this season so its purely a rental and i think the cost to acquire is to high for us at a position that isnt of need.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The qualifying offer is $3.25M. The Rangers don't feel comfortable with what it will cost them in a long term contract. Olofsson is one year away from group III.

Lehkonen's qualifying offer is $2.3M. He is one year away from group III. What will Lehkonen want in his next contract?
Lehkonen is affordable going forward. He is actually pretty good value at that price.

Olofsson, not nearly as much.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Rakell plays RW on the Zegras line.

Id be very interested in a Rakell/Deslauriers for a couple second rounders. Rakell has a history of top 6 scoring and can probably play on any of the top 3 lines. Deslauriers is just more beef for the bottom 6, which is always important. Him and Reaves hammering defenseman all series in the playoffs will pay dividends.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Lehkonen is affordable going forward. He is actually pretty good value at that price.

Olofsson, not nearly as much.

Trading Chytil for an RFA makes a ton of sense to me. As @RangerBoy pointed out, his 2.3m is better spent elsewhere and at 22 hes not a guy you want to trade for more picks. I keep coming back to Lehkonen as a cost effective guy who gives the Rangers something they lack.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Id be very interested in a Rakell/Deslauriers for a couple second rounders. Rakell has a history of top 6 scoring and can probably play on any of the top 3 lines. Deslauriers is just more beef for the bottom 6, which is always important. Him and Reaves hammering defenseman all series in the playoffs will pay dividends.

Rakell is very streaky probably more than Kreider is. He is not great in his own zone, but if he is on a line with a more defensive minded player then he is fine. They had to throw Henrique on that line to bring some defensive responsibility.

The Ducks love Des, see him re-signing with them to be honest, since he is a cheaper contract. He kills penalties, knocks the crap out of people with his hits, and he really sticks up for his teammates. When players were taking cheap shots at Zegras earlier this season he was put on his line for about 6 or so games for protection. Hurt Zegras production but kept the dirt bags in the league honest.

I still don’t think the Rangers should be going for a rental now but Rakell would certainly help the Top 9 no doubt which needs more scoring. Rakell has a very nice shot, he’s just been snake bitten for about a couple of years now.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
He's a force at this point and certainly makes this team better. The question is what will it cost, will Vancouver retain, and will he stay a NYR beyond 2022-23. There's a lot to consider there.
Forget the part about Vancouver retaining. They want to cut salary.

Probably the biggest issue is does Vancouver want to move him? If they do, there will be a line of suitors and the cost could very well get prohibitive.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Trading Chytil for an RFA makes a ton of sense to me. As @RangerBoy pointed out, his 2.3m is better spent elsewhere and at 22 hes not a guy you want to trade for more picks. I keep coming back to Lehkonen as a cost effective guy who gives the Rangers something they lack.
I would be willing to trade Chytil for Lehkonen. Fair value for both teams. Salary works for both teams. Steadier player for higher upside.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Rangers should keep Kevin Rooney.

People complain that he's not amazing- Greg McKegg is an example of what happens when you get too indifferent about the level of your fourth line players. Rooney plays with an edge, chips in points at a standard 4th line level, and can play all 3 forward positions.

Rooney and Goodrow have been lapping up the top PK minutes all year. They work well together.

Hunt-Rooney-Reaves (If behind a much better third line) is a perfectly acceptable fourth. Goodrow, Blais, Lehkonen could make a hell of a third.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022

People complain that he's not amazing- Greg McKegg is an example of what happens when you get too indifferent about the level of your fourth line players. Rooney plays with an edge, chips in points at a standard 4th line level, and can play all 3 forward positions.

Rooney and Goodrow have been lapping up the top PK minutes all year. They work well together.

Hunt-Rooney-Reaves (If behind a much better third line) is a perfectly acceptable fourth. Goodrow, Blais, Lehkonen could make a hell of a third.

Who tf complains about Kevin Rooney??

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Rooney strikes me as a guy who will price himself out with a solid playoff. Hes a good player but i think with Goodrow & Barron as bottom 6 C options, the Rangers will move on. I dont think giving Rooney a multi year raise isthe best move for a team witha cap crunch on the horizon.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Forget the part about Vancouver retaining. They want to cut salary.

Probably the biggest issue is does Vancouver want to move him? If they do, there will be a line of suitors and the cost could very well get prohibitive.
Yep if I’m Vancouver I’m probably more of a buyer than a seller at this point. At least assuming they keep up the strong play for the next four or five games. They have looked really impressive. Gotta let them have a chance. Not only the players but Boudreau too. They’ve earned it.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Rooney strikes me as a guy who will price himself out with a solid playoff. Hes a good player but i think with Goodrow & Barron as bottom 6 C options, the Rangers will move on. I dont think giving Rooney a multi year raise isthe best move for a team witha cap crunch on the horizon.
Certainly wouldn't give him more than 1M or so. We already have overpaid for depth, doing it again would be compounding the issue.

Reactions: leetch99

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yep if I’m Vancouver I’m probably more of a buyer than a seller at this point. At least assuming they keep up the strong play for the next four or five games. They have looked really impressive. Gotta let them have a chance. Not only the players but Boudreau too. They’ve earned it.
They've been leaning into marginal playoff contenders for five years now. That's not what I do if I'm them.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I honestly don’t have any issue with Chytil playing with like a Barron and Gauthier. I think that could be a good size and power line. McKegg MUST be the 14th forward, behind Hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad