Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIX - I Won’t Back Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I mean Copp would be great but I don't see the need to make that big of a change honestly. The team isn't quite at that spot where they should be expending a ton of high quality assets and I don't know if they really need it.

Now if we're talking the off-season and the team decides to go the route of Copp versus Strome as UFA's, I could understand that.

But a playoff roster, assuming everyone is healthy of:

Panarin-Strome-Kaako
Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere
Chytil-Goodrow-Lehkonen
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves
Barron

Looks pretty good to me

I hear you, it is a lot of change and is likely unrealistic / not gonna happen.

The reason I suggest it is mainly tied to my belief that if Kakko on the Strome line was going to happen, it would have already. Both Quinn and Gallant tried it and moved away from it. I get the sense that Panarin and Strome do not like playing with Kakko and have likely voiced that. There was seemingly informed speculation to that end from Carp last year, and Edge dropped a cryptic post hinting at similar in the Kakko thread recently.

Therefore, Kakko is on the 3rd line. Lehkonen is on the 3rd line. One of Goodrow/Hunt is with Panarin and Strome. If it is Hunt, Goodrow is 3C. But if it is Goodrow up with Panarin and Strome, you are left with either Barron/Chytil anchoring the 3rd unit, and depending on how either look down the stretch that could be a critical weakness. Depends on how they feel about Barron/Chytil being next man up for that role. But probably too far down the line of priorities to give up what Copp would cost if he is even available.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Robertson is in the first year of his ELC. He won't be waiver eligible until 24-25.

That said, he hasn't got a sniff yet at this level, so I doubt he's a consideration at this point.

Thats why id like to see him called up now to see him at this level.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Starting to think Chytil is going to get moved. Barron has shown more in his limited time and Filip continues to go sideways. Maybe for an RFA like Olofsson/Lehkonen

The Rangers can use the $2.3M elsewhere. This season is Chytil's 4th NHL season. He played 9 AHL games a few years ago. It's almost his 4th full season. The Rangers are still waiting for Chytil to show something. The Rangers have had a good amount of young forwards come up through their system. We knew what they were by the 4th season.

Lgrsean

Jan 23, 2022
I hear you, it is a lot of change and is likely unrealistic / not gonna happen.

The reason I suggest it is mainly tied to my belief that if Kakko on the Strome line was going to happen, it would have already. Both Quinn and Gallant tried it and moved away from it. I get the sense that Panarin and Strome do not like playing with Kakko and have likely voiced that. There was seemingly informed speculation to that end from Carp last year, and Edge dropped a cryptic post hinting at similar in the Kakko thread recently.

Therefore, Kakko is on the 3rd line. Lehkonen is on the 3rd line. One of Goodrow/Hunt is with Panarin and Strome. If it is Hunt, Goodrow is 3C. But if it is Goodrow up with Panarin and Strome, you are left with either Barron/Chytil anchoring the 3rd unit, and depending on how either look down the stretch that could be a critical weakness. Depends on how they feel about Barron/Chytil being next man up for that role. But probably too far down the line of priorities to give up what Copp would cost if he is even available.

I haven't seen anything this season about Bread and Strome not liking playing with Kakko. The underlying numbers suggest that line was one of the best lines we've had so far this season. When they made the switch, I remember the Kreider/Mika line struggling at 5 on 5 and thought they were moving Kakko to that line to help production rather than choosing to take him off the bread line. But I might have missed something from a beat writer or posted on here by someone with access.

Reactions: egelband

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Teams value Georgiev more than a 36 year old Greiss. They should.
Probably depends on where the interested team is. Picking up a goaltender for this postseason? Can’t imagine any team in the league valuing Georgiev over Greiss for that end.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This is as about as desperate a team can be for a goalie. If anyone can swoop in and grab edmontons first that would be huge. But having heard they declined to give up a 2nd and 3rd for Korpisalo (I know he hasn't been great lately) I would be beyond shocked if they gave that up or more for Georgiev?!
We shall see one thing I know for sure if they don't get a goalie it will be another wasted season with Mcdavid and Draisaitl.
Unfortunately, I could them going for a Varlamov is Lou is willing to part with him. He still may be delusional about making the playoffs.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Probably depends on where the interested team is. Picking up a goaltender for this postseason? Can’t imagine any team in the league valuing Georgiev over Greiss for that end.

See i see it as the other way around. Griess is horrendous. He is not a starting goalie in the NHL and at the ripe old age of 36 he wont and isnt going to be better than he is right now. Not a possible long term fix to any situation and not the experienced goalie that gms going into the playoffs will want to rely on. Of course he can be had for less than Geo but none of the goalies mentioned can be fixes short or long term more than Geo. Geo has proven that if he is played as a starter can be solid and reliable and if im the gm of a franchise id much rather be looking at Geo than Griess or any other scrub mentioned.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
This is as about as desperate a team can be for a goalie. If anyone can swoop in and grab edmontons first that would be huge. But having heard they declined to give up a 2nd and 3rd for Korpisalo (I know he hasn't been great lately) I would be beyond shocked if they gave that up or more for Georgiev?!
We shall see one thing I know for sure if they don't get a goalie it will be another wasted season with Mcdavid and Draisaitl.

If they offered a 2nd and a 3rd i would instantly take it.

to have 3 2nd round picks and a 3rd would be massive for the TDL and for the draft to make our trade for the center we all want. Or it allows us to take mutliple swings at falling players in the 2nd. There are alot of things we can do with that extra 2nd and gaining a 3rd back in this draft for geo

Reactions: egelband and bl02

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
See i see it as the other way around. Griess is horrendous. He is not a starting goalie in the NHL and at the ripe old age of 36 he wont and isnt going to be better than he is right now. Not a possible long term fix to any situation and not the experienced goalie that gms going into the playoffs will want to rely on. Of course he can be had for less than Geo but none of the goalies mentioned can be fixes short or long term more than Geo. Geo has proven that if he is played as a starter can be solid and reliable and if im the gm of a franchise id much rather be looking at Geo than Griess or any other scrub mentioned.
Greiss has handily beat this club in a number of meetings. His numbers are better than Georgiev’s.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't believe the Oilers can trade their 2nd this year as it is conditional from the Keith trade. I'd do something like:

Georgiev @ 50% for Koskinen + EDM 5th '22 + EDM 2nd '23

I'd then turn around and trade

Gauthier + STL 2nd for Lehkonen

Reactions: Modest Grouse

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Greiss has handily beat this club in a number of meetings. His numbers are better than Georgiev’s.

And our franchise has a rich history of allowing other teams rookies to score their first goal, or a vet to break their goal streak, or a backup goalie made to look like hes a legit beast.

Griess is decent but again i reiterate what i said in my last post. Just because he beat us does not mean he is a better answer at the goalie spot now or the future for another teams franchise.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Greiss being on the market is exactly what will keep Georgy's value down. My guess is, Greiss may be moved before Georgy. We'd be looking at a different option if so. No way we trade for Greiss before moving Georgy,
How many teams can afford Greiss' $3.6 million?

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The qualifying offer is $3.25M. The Rangers don't feel comfortable with what it will cost them in a long term contract. Olofsson is one year away from group III.

Lehkonen's qualifying offer is $2.3M. He is one year away from group III. What will Lehkonen want in his next contract?
I don't think he is worth 3x the price versus Gauthier plus the pick we send along with Gauthier....does Lehkonen put us into round 2 or more....I don't think so . Plus we have Othmann on the way and Cuylee .....and Blais coming back and lord knows who else will pop up before the trade deadline next season or raises their game in the pre season....don't be so keen to give away big kids who can skate .

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
And our franchise has a rich history of allowing other teams rookies to score their first goal, or a vet to break their goal streak, or a backup goalie made to look like hes a legit beast.

Griess is decent but again i reiterate what i said in my last post. Just because he beat us does not mean he is a better answer at the goalie spot now or the future for another teams franchise.
I’m glad I could upgrade you from horrendous to decent in the span of a single post.

Lgrsean

Jan 23, 2022
Today’s Media Availability. Morgan Barron, Ryan Reaves and Coach Gerard Gallant.

Interesting how Gallant emphasized the importance of Bread and Strome liking Hunt on that line. Maybe there still is something to them not liking Kakko on the RW there.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Vince Mercogliano proposed Karl Henriksson and Hunter Skinner to Montreal for Lehtonen. It was during his podcast last week after Pierre LeBrun's tweet about the Rangers and Habs discussing a trade involving some Rangers prospects.
That's a better deal then giving up Gauthier at this time . Non roster guys ...long shots to ever be a roster player . Gauthier is close to getting there...give Gallant the rest of the season with him . It's worth the risk .

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I’m glad I could upgrade you from horrendous to decent in the span of a single post.

Still doesnt change my opinion on the matter.

Griess is decent, which makes him a backup goalie in the nhl.

Geo still have the ability to be a starter, when he plays as a starter he is much better. But i would love to see edm spend the assets on Griess and then lose in the first round again lol.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Interesting how Gallant emphasized the importance of Bread and Strome liking Hunt on that line. Maybe there still is something to them not liking Kakko on the RW there.
Could be. I hope it’s not. Puts unnecessary pressure on an overarching team with limited options to fill that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad