Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIX - I Won’t Back Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Based on what we have heard about Georgiev, his removal from the locker room is addition by subtraction. It doesn't seem he is very happy with his situation here. Time for him to go. Apparently, Vegas and Edmonton are in the market for a goaltender. The Devils are looking for a goaltender. Georgiev's cap hit is more affordable than MAF. The Rangers can't afford him beyond this season. These teams need to step up and make Drury a real offer. Drury can acquire Greiss from Detroit to finish out this season.

Greiss being on the market is exactly what will keep Georgy's value down. My guess is, Greiss may be moved before Georgy. We'd be looking at a different option if so. No way we trade for Greiss before moving Georgy,

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
The qualifying offer is $3.25M. The Rangers don't feel comfortable with what it will cost them in a long term contract. Olofsson is one year away from group III.

Lehkonen's qualifying offer is $2.3M. He is one year away from group III. What will Lehkonen want in his next contract?
Fair points.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The qualifying offer is $3.25M. The Rangers don't feel comfortable with what it will cost them in a long term contract. Olofsson is one year away from group III.

Lehkonen's qualifying offer is $2.3M. He is one year away from group III. What will Lehkonen want in his next contract?
Lekhonen should be around $3M. What if MTL extends him for 2 years $3.5M and eats half. What's that worth? Kravtsov?

Reactions: egelband

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Greiss being on the market is exactly what will keep Georgy's value down. My guess is, Greiss may be moved before Georgy. We'd be looking at a different option if so. No way we trade for Greiss before moving Georgy,
I'd trade for Greiss first then figure out Georgie.. If he plays for us like he plays against us, we'd be great

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This team should have always been in on Lehkonen. He's quite literally what the team needs now and probably over the next 3-4 years which plays into the fact that he is a RFA, not UFA.

Barron playing well would be a HUGE welcome as well. It's time to take the kid gloves off and let him play.

I still think a Gauthier + pick for Lehkonen deal makes sense for all involved.

Vince Mercogliano proposed Karl Henriksson and Hunter Skinner to Montreal for Lehtonen. It was during his podcast last week after Pierre LeBrun's tweet about the Rangers and Habs discussing a trade involving some Rangers prospects.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Olofsson over Kakko in the top-six right now. Worst case, Olofsson drops to the third line, giving us credible secondary firepower. Not the worst thing in the world to have a scoring (rather than checking) third line and a hybrid checking-defensive fourth line. Lehkonen could be nice -- but, before that, I'd like to find a way to get Keggers the hell outta this roster (i.e., trading for a center).

Drury inquiring about Olofsson makes me wonder if Kakko's injury is something that may need the offseason to completely heal. Meaning, he could come back this season, but the injury may impact his scoring/playmaking ability for the remainder of the year. If so, someone who can definitely play second line minutes and add scoring becomes, perhaps, the bigger priority than Lehkonen.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
This team should have always been in on Lehkonen. He's quite literally what the team needs now and probably over the next 3-4 years which plays into the fact that he is a RFA, not UFA.

Barron playing well would be a HUGE welcome as well. It's time to take the kid gloves off and let him play.

Not to be a broken record but I completely agree. Getting a sure thing to help anchor the 3rd line with presumably some combination of Kakko/Goodrow/Barron/Chytil/Other TDL add could make such a difference. Lehkonen's style of play fits like a glove. Either Lehkonen-Barron/Chytil-Kakko with Hunt / Goodrow flipping between the Strome and Rooney lines. Or if Kakko is up on the Strome line (I doubt this will happen), Lehkonen-Goodrow-Barron/Chytil.

In an absolutely perfect world, get Copp too, and then Lehkonen-Copp-Kakko could be an absolutely dominant line possessing the puck and defending. But if Barron can really show something over the next 2-3 weeks, maybe he helps solve this internally (a man can hope).

The more time goes on I gotta say, Chytil is one of the pieces I'm not sure I see a fit for. Unless he can fit as a wing on the Strome line. What about Chytil for Lehkonen straight up, or maybe a small add from Montreal? Of if you want to load up this year, Lehkonen for picks / prospects now and Chytil for picks / prospects in the summer. Can reinvest Chytil's cap hit into Lehkon and keep him as an RFA.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

This....
If chytil isn’t good on the wing, I’d bet he’s on borrowed time here.
Give me a Goodrow-Barron-Lehkonen 3rd line and go to war.
If Gauthier is still here, he can fill in 4th line duties/cover for injuries

kreider-Zibby-Laffy
Panarin-Strome-chytil/kakko
Goodrow-Barron-Lehkonen
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves
Ex Gauthier

lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Ex Nemeth

God
Greiss/Halak

it allows you to have goodrow/Lehkonen slide up and down line up if need be to find the best chemistry.... damn I wish Blais was back earlier.

Copp would be a damn good add if we can’t get Lehkonen

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
yeah I don't love him either, but I guess the thinking is that he's a shoot first RW and he's available...so you inquire.

He's not a shoot first RW. He's a shooter on the PP. He's a well below average goal scorer and volume shooter at 5v5 and has been every year of his career. He's a good fit for a team that has a struggling PP and needs a shooting threat from the flanks. Ideally a team that can hide him at 5v5 and give him limited 3rd/4th line minutes. He's basically a worse Mike Hoffman who also is a bad 5v5 player and has been a below average 5v5 volume shooter for 2 years.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
No..

Lehkenon Barron Goodrow would be a nice shutdown line
Hunt Rooney Reavo with a solid energy fourth line.

Leave Kakko and Laf in the top 6.

Stromer needs to go for a better center fit

I agree. Goodrow-Barron-Lehkonen has the size/speed/forecheck and adds enough offense to see increased minutes come playoff time if need be imo.
I’ve been saying for months, put Barron by 2 solid vets and you’ll have a damn good 3rd line.
Honestly wouldn’t mind seeing how a line of
Goodrow-Barron-Kakko would play together either. That can be a mismatch line as well

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not to be a broken record but I completely agree. Getting a sure thing to help anchor the 3rd line with presumably some combination of Kakko/Goodrow/Barron/Chytil/Other TDL add could make such a difference. Lehkonen's style of play fits like a glove. Either Lehkonen-Barron/Chytil-Kakko with Hunt / Goodrow flipping between the Strome and Rooney lines. Or if Kakko is up on the Strome line (I doubt this will happen), Lehkonen-Goodrow-Barron/Chytil.

In an absolutely perfect world, get Copp too, and then Lehkonen-Copp-Kakko could be an absolutely dominant line possessing the puck and defending. But if Barron can really show something over the next 2-3 weeks, maybe he helps solve this internally (a man can hope).

The more time goes on I gotta say, Chytil is one of the pieces I'm not sure I see a fit for. Unless he can fit as a wing on the Strome line. What about Chytil for Lehkonen straight up, or maybe a small add from Montreal? Of if you want to load up this year, Lehkonen for picks / prospects now and Chytil for picks / prospects in the summer. Can reinvest Chytil's cap hit into Lehkon and keep him as an RFA.

I mean Copp would be great but I don't see the need to make that big of a change honestly. The team isn't quite at that spot where they should be expending a ton of high quality assets and I don't know if they really need it.

Now if we're talking the off-season and the team decides to go the route of Copp versus Strome as UFA's, I could understand that.

But a playoff roster, assuming everyone is healthy of:

Panarin-Strome-Kaako
Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere
Chytil-Goodrow-Lehkonen
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves
Barron

Looks pretty good to me

Reactions: noncents

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Vince Mercogliano proposed Karl Henriksson and Hunter Skinner to Montreal for Lehtonen. It was during his podcast last week after Pierre LeBrun's tweet about the Rangers and Habs discussing a trade involving some Rangers prospects.
OK, Vincent.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Drury inquiring about Olofsson makes me wonder if Kakko's injury is something that may need the offseason to completely heal. Meaning, he could come back this season, but the injury may impact his scoring/playmaking ability for the remainder of the year. If so, someone who can definitely play second line minutes and add scoring becomes, perhaps, the bigger priority than Lehkonen.

I didn't see that. Was it a reputable source that said Drury was looking into him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad