Speculation: Roster Building Thread: (still) No Quinn In NY Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
There’s a fantasy sports podcast that I listened to that awhile back veered off more into politics and philosophy territory. When they do talk sports on it, the host often brings up an idea, typically about baseball, wherein the players just go form their own league. He argues that tech makes that doable now when it wasn’t in the past. How many followers does McDavid have on Twitter? How many does James Dolan have?

The NHL seems like an untenable business to me. The cap is a problem that will hopefully resolve itself soon, but the bigger problem is that the league has too many franchises that no one wants to play for. The NTCs that have become so prevalent are basically a tool used by teams in desirable locations to draw talent, and the player’s only advantage in a CBA that they got destroyed in.

Why don’t these guys just band together and form a league? Put teams only in cities that guys actually want to play in. Shed the dead weight, improve the quality of the on ice product, and get PAID.

Hell, that’s a lot to ask of the players, but you’re telling me the agents aren’t capable of this?
In the current climate of cell phones and twitter this may be exactly where we are heading.

Look at golf and the LIV Tour. The basis behind it is selfish position based solely on money. Golfers want salaries on top of their winnings & sponsorships? When has that been a thing? Appearance fees overseas have been under the table earnings forever... now they want them here on the PGA TOUR.

Salaries as independent contractors?!?! Please. They have it too good already. Even without a TV contract the money is too enticing for some of them to turn down... especially those who can't chase down records set by Woods, Snead & Nicklaus.

This is probably for another thread but it used to be that a kid would be HONORED to play for ANY NHL Team. Spoiled little shits... errrrr ummmm... brats don't wanna play for the team that drafts them? Of course not... they know some other team will pick them up.

Start their own league? Fine, go ahead. Just like the LIV tour, you're not going into any history books winning the wanna be stanley cup or the wanna be Conn Smythe et all.

But you'll laugh all the way to the bank I guess.

Now get off my lawn :wally

I'm so out of it I didn't mention TikTok

Last edited:
Reactions: Synergy27

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
We have the best d prospect pool in the entire league, let's make some moves to shake that up. We can put together such a ridiculous package right now. Next years 1st + pick from the pool outside the NHL. Pretty ridiculous still. Lots and lots of D potential in Hartford.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere
Panarin-Trocheck-Kravtsov
Goodrow-Chytil-Kakko
Blais-Carpenter-Reaves
Hunt
Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Hajek
Shesterkin
Halak

Brodzinski, Lundkvist, Cuylle, Robertson, Trivigno as guys in Hartford I think can contribute, maybe Othmann too if he really impresses in camp. I think they are still one more big piece away but that is a lineup without many holes and they have the chips to add that final piece. Excited for next season.

Would love it if Othmann can make the team and push Reaves/Carpenter out of the every day lineup.

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kreider
Panarin - Trocheck - Kakko
Othmann - Chytil - Kravtsov
Blais - Goodrow - Reaves/Hunt/Carpenter/Brodzinski/Trivigno/Rydahl

Avs don’t really have anything interesting. And no we don’t want Newhook

I'm very interested in Newhook but not for anything close to Kakko.

Lundkvist for Newhook.

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Schneider for Newhook? Are you out of your mind?

Also if you think Schneider is trapped where does Newhook even fit on the roster?

I would do Schneider for Newhook. Or Lundkvist for Newhook.

Either.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I would do Schneider for Newhook. Or Lundkvist for Newhook.

Either.
There is a big difference in value between Schneider and Lundkvist. Also Newhook had 33 points this season on a stacked Avs team. No goals and 4 assists in 12 playoff games. Scratched for the rest. He also doesn’t fit anywhere in the top 9

Newhook isn’t good. I don’t know why fans around the league think he’s valuable, Avs fans are ready to part ways with him

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Would love it if Othmann can make the team and push Reaves/Carpenter out of the every day lineup.

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kreider
Panarin - Trocheck - Kakko
Othmann - Chytil - Kravtsov
Blais - Goodrow - Reaves/Hunt/Carpenter/Brodzinski/Trivigno/Rydahl

Othmann may get his 9 games next year but I don't think its smart to rush him, especially when there's not a clear spot in the top 9 for him. Have we not learned our lesson bringing these kids up too soon? Reaves & Carpenter have 4th line/depth roles that are important to the Rangers.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't think anybody said that Reaves, specifically, cost us the Stanley Cup, but if Kevin Rooney could handle the puck at an NHL level we probably win game 5 against Tampa.

You should never dismiss the impact of having terrible players in your lineup.

Not defending Rooney because he sucked last year, but you could say the same about Strome

Reactions: egelband

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I don't think anybody said that Reaves, specifically, cost us the Stanley Cup, but if Kevin Rooney could handle the puck at an NHL level we probably win game 5 against Tampa.

You should never dismiss the impact of having terrible players in your lineup.

We can call it the nemeth effect. Team was night and day better when he was not playing. Rooney and reaves were the forward versions of Nemeth, though neither as bad as Nemeth.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Depends.

What do they have in place of Panarin and his salary?
Not Panarin.

Without Panarin, Mika Zibanejad is far and away carrying our offense and he goes on a 40 game stretch every year where he has 10 points.

I know you just want Matthew Tkachuk but that would actually be horrible. Our entire top nine would be power forwards.

For all the bellyaching about "cute perimeter play muh jamjars" Panarin is the only forward on the roster going into this season that even thinks about passing and is good at it.

Not defending Rooney because he sucked last year, but you could say the same about Strome
But Strome has a history of being an effective NHL player. We willingly put Rooney in the lineup knowing he would do exactly what he did because NHL coaches think bad players are good at some made up aspect of the game that only bad players can do.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Othmann should be nowhere near this team in 22-23. Send Othmann back to Flint. Play in the WJC next month and in December. Have a great season.

Totally agree. Before the Trocheck signing I thought there were scenarios where the Rangers moved a young forward and Othmann could slot in, but now they find themselves in a position where they can be patient with a top prospect for once. If nothing else he can join them for the stretch run.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not pretending to have watched much of Carpenter but is he gonna be that much better than Brodz or Rooney?
If he’s not is our 4th line gonna be any better? Because you know gallant is playing him and Reaves.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
As much as I hate Strome and I'm glad he's gone, he could actually contribute on the scoring sheet.

Everyone always talks about how you need to have contributions throughout your line up to win the cup. This is true, but in the very least you need those bottom-6 forwards not costing you games. Just play the clock until the big boys can come in and do their thing. A part of being a good NHL player is knowing your limitations and playing accordingly.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not pretending to have watched much of Carpenter but is he gonna be that much better than Brodz or Rooney?
If he’s not is our 4th line gonna be any better? Because you know gallant is playing him and Reaves.
Yes.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Well I foresee Reaves benched more for Hunt If everyone’s healthy

Carpenter is likely equal to Rooney in terms of pk. That’s basically his role and he’s cheaper

Also Gauthier likely is the odd man out

Have to assume Kravtsov isn’t dealt and he’s not going on waivers

Reactions: bl02

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I want Tyler Motte - now - but … sitting there to be had is nino nedeiritter …
Dump Kakko and add a power forward like NinoN.

Would love this, but not enough cap space even if Kakko were traded.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not Panarin.

Without Panarin, Mika Zibanejad is far and away carrying our offense and he goes on a 40 game stretch every year where he has 10 points.

I know you just want Matthew Tkachuk but that would actually be horrible. Our entire top nine would be power forwards.

For all the bellyaching about "cute perimeter play muh jamjars" Panarin is the only forward on the roster going into this season that even thinks about passing and is good at it.

But Strome has a history of being an effective NHL player. We willingly put Rooney in the lineup knowing he would do exactly what he did because NHL coaches think bad players are good at some made up aspect of the game that only bad players can do.

I didn't mention Matthew Tkachuk at all. That isn't even the route I would go sans Panarin as he'd eat up nearly all of the open space you'd get from not having Panarin. We could have fit in a good passer or 3 with Panarin's salary open.

You mistake me for someone who cares that Panarin plays on the perimeter. I don't, hes always done it and a ton of good players do it. My issue is that he played like a selfish idiot for a large chunk of last season and struggled to create space for himself for the first time in... well ever, which is a bigger issue than anyone is letting on.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad