Speculation: Roster Building Thread: (still) No Quinn In NY Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
You think he isn’t going to talk about his former teammates, the org, and the recent series against us? Him jawing with Gallant? None of that interests you?

If he does he's an even bigger idiot than i think he is. Its not like he has a 7 year deal signed, he's gonna want another contract with someone, shouldnt be burning bridges

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
They've got Brodzinski, Gettinger, Cuylle. I assume they would like to flip Gauthier for a similar depth forward. Trivigno. I'm OK with that as depth. But I assume we'll also see a veteran on a PTO closer to camp.

Yeah, but there is very little skill/playmaking ability. We will get awfully one dimensional if a few of the go to players offensively are injured at the same time, even if it’s just for a few weeks. I know that many reason like ‘we would be screwed anyway’, but that isn’t always the case.

What I really would like to see is a center that has at least a tiny bit of potential to play with Panarin. Toronto has Dennis Malgin. Pittsburgh has Alex Nylander. If we had a guy like that, Trocheck gets hurt, all of a sudden they click with Panarin and frees up Tro to play with Laf and Kakko.

Edit: Recon Trivigno could be an alternative for that, just don’t know how far away he is.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Fair enough, interesting that you have no interest in Newhook who has arguably had the better start to the career of the two.

I am fairly certain we would have interest in Newhook.

It’s a hard league to play in for kids. Kakko has looked very poised and nifty when he got a chance with the big guns on the top PP his rookie year. But after that he hasn’t seen any time there. Kakko should become a 70-80 pts player when he becomes a regular on a top PP and reach his prime.

I love Newhook, had him 3rd overall behind Hughes and Kakko. But these guys won’t take off as long as they don’t see top PP time.

The one trade that entice me is Braden Schneider for Newhook. Schneider is showing tremendous potential and poise. Physical and really gritty play, great 3 dimensional skater, and more offensive potential than he gets credit for. But in all likelihood he is trapped behind Fox and Trouba for the coming 4 years. Moving him for a young speedy center would make sense for NYR. But it’s not something that has to be rushed and I am not sure how Colorado views Newhook for example.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I am fairly certain we would have interest in Newhook.

It’s a hard league to play in for kids. Kakko has looked very poised and nifty when he got a chance with the big guns on the top PP his rookie year. But after that he hasn’t seen any time there. Kakko should become a 70-80 pts player when he becomes a regular on a top PP and reach his prime.

I love Newhook, had him 3rd overall behind Hughes and Kakko. But these guys won’t take off as long as they don’t see top PP time.

The one trade that entice me is Braden Schneider for Newhook. Schneider is showing tremendous potential and poise. Physical and really gritty play, great 3 dimensional skater, and more offensive potential than he gets credit for. But in all likelihood he is trapped behind Fox and Trouba for the coming 4 years. Moving him for a young speedy center would make sense for NYR. But it’s not something that has to be rushed and I am not sure how Colorado views Newhook for example.
Schneider for Newhook? Are you out of your mind?

Also if you think Schneider is trapped where does Newhook even fit on the roster?

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
The holding pattern on Motte is interesting. As I alluded to prior, I’m not counting him out until I see the bottom line ticket saying otherwise. He’s a different bird, I think he would give up some money and term in exchange for comfort. I’m a fan.

Reactions: djzbad

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
The holding pattern on Motte is interesting. As I alluded to prior, I’m not counting him out until I see the bottom line ticket saying otherwise. He’s a different bird, I think he would give up some money and term in exchange for comfort. I’m a fan.
His comfort would have been in Vancouver. Not New York

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
As a 27 year old, he may be smart to sign a 2 year deal with a good team that can elevate his profile so when cap explodes in 2 years he can cash in and maximize his personal value. Cash in is relative of course for a player of his skillset.

Also kind of overlooked on motte is the fact hes always hurt. In his 6 years in the nhl, the most games hes played in a season is 74. The others hes totaled 33, 46, 34, 24, 58

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
His comfort would have been in Vancouver. Not New York
How do you know that? He accomplished more notoriety in his short stint with the Rangers than he did his entire time with Vancouver.

As a 27 year old, he may be smart to sign a 2 year deal with a good team that can elevate his profile so when cap explodes in 2 years he can cash in and maximize his personal value. Cash in is relative of course for a player of his skillset.

Also kind of overlooked on motte is the fact hes always hurt. In his 6 years in the nhl, the most games hes played in a season is 74. The others hes totaled 33, 46, 34, 24, 58
Been regurgitating this over and over again since free agency started. Cap should be going up in 2 years. Let him pump up his value with proper exposure

Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No, but his being pushed out of the lineup will no doubt help them to be better. By any definition, he stinks.
Didn't really have many other options though. He was very effective at the start, but he's too old and got worn down in the playoffs quickly.

Reactions: leetch99

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Didn't really have many other options though. He was very effective at the start, but he's too old and got worn down in the playoffs quickly.
It's not about better options. It's that upgrading him can only help. He does not belong in the NHL, anymore.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
You think he isn’t going to talk about his former teammates, the org, and the recent series against us? Him jawing with Gallant? None of that interests you?
No. I’m almost as tired of him as I am of Avery. Let him blather on. He’s a dirtbag Flyer now.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Where is Tkachuk going? The Flames and Blues would have to match up the money. Tkachuk would sign a new contract extension with the Blues. Buchnevich has a $5.8M cap hit. He also a 12 team no trade list. Most of these guys have Canadian teams on their lists.

Calgary is in a tough spot. Tkachuk is a one year rental unless he signs an extension. Where does Tkachuk want to play? The Devils have the cap space. Does Tkachuk want to spend the rest of his prime years playing in Newark?

The Flames elected to take Tkachuk to salary arbitration. It buys them time. Tkachuk probably would have signed the 1 year/$9M qualifying offer by Friday and played out the season. He wouldn't be eligible for a contract extension until January 1. The Flames took that option off the table.

The Flames would get more in return for a signed Tkachuk. The arbitration cases don't begin until the 27th and Tkachuk's date has not been announced. It could be sometime in August.

The Blues are essentially capped out. Tarasenko has a $7.5M cap hit. The Flames would probably want Buchnevich. Tarasenko is one year rental. Kyrou would go in the trade to Calgary. He is at $2.8M and a group II next summer. Kyrou should get a significant raise next summer. He had a 78 point season last season. The Blues paid their other pending group II Robert Thomas this summer.

The Blues have all of their first round picks. Jake Neighbors is expected to play for the Blues this season. Calgary would probably want Neighbors. He is a Calgary boy from nearby Airdrie, Alberts.

Zachary Buldoc is a 2021 first round pick.

The Blues have been trying to trade Krug. He has 5 more seasons remaining at $6.5M. Krug has a 15 team no trade list.

All of these Blues players have NTC's except for ROR. The Blues inherited that contract from Buffalo. Tarasenko wants to be traded but the Blues don't want to trade him.

Kyrou and Neighbors. A couple of first round picks. Probably not enough. They are still missing the money component going to Calgary. Buchnevich would be perfect for them.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Where is Tkachuk going? The Flames and Blues would have to match up the money. Tkachuk would sign a new contract extension with the Blues. Buchnevich has a $5.8M cap hit. He also a 12 team no trade list. Most of these guys have Canadian teams on their lists.

Calgary is in a tough spot. Tkachuk is a one year rental unless he signs an extension. Where does Tkachuk want to play? The Devils have the cap space. Does Tkachuk want to spend the rest of his prime years playing in Newark?

The Flames elected to take Tkachuk to salary arbitration. It buys them time. Tkachuk probably would have signed the 1 year/$9M qualifying offer by Friday and played out the season. He wouldn't be eligible for a contract extension until January 1. The Flames took that option off the table.

The Flames would get more in return for a signed Tkachuk. The arbitration cases don't begin until the 27th and Tkachuk's date has not been announced. It could be sometime in August.

The Blues are essentially capped out. Tarasenko has a $7.5M cap hit. The Flames would probably want Buchnevich. Tarasenko is one year rental. Kyrou would go in the trade to Calgary. He is at $2.8M and a group II next summer. Kyrou should get a significant raise next summer. He had a 78 point season last season. The Blues paid their other pending group II Robert Thomas this summer.

The Blues have all of their first round picks. Jake Neighbors is expected to play for the Blues this season. Calgary would probably want Neighbors. He is a Calgary boy from nearby Airdrie, Alberts.

Zachary Buldoc is a 2021 first round pick.

The Blues have been trying to trade Krug. He has 5 more seasons remaining at $6.5M. Krug has a 15 team no trade list.

All of these Blues players have NTC's except for ROR. The Blues inherited that contract from Buffalo. Tarasenko wants to be traded but the Blues don't want to trade him.

Kyrou and Neighbors. A couple of first round picks. Probably not enough. They are still missing the money component going to Calgary. Buchnevich would be perfect for them.

There’s a fantasy sports podcast that I listened to that awhile back veered off more into politics and philosophy territory. When they do talk sports on it, the host often brings up an idea, typically about baseball, wherein the players just go form their own league. He argues that tech makes that doable now when it wasn’t in the past. How many followers does McDavid have on Twitter? How many does James Dolan have?

The NHL seems like an untenable business to me. The cap is a problem that will hopefully resolve itself soon, but the bigger problem is that the league has too many franchises that no one wants to play for. The NTCs that have become so prevalent are basically a tool used by teams in desirable locations to draw talent, and the player’s only advantage in a CBA that they got destroyed in.

Why don’t these guys just band together and form a league? Put teams only in cities that guys actually want to play in. Shed the dead weight, improve the quality of the on ice product, and get PAID.

Hell, that’s a lot to ask of the players, but you’re telling me the agents aren’t capable of this?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Guys like motte and Goodrow where they earn their money is playing playoff games. Motte would be smart to reup here cheap for two years get two more legit Cup shots and showcases, and and then really cash in at 29 years old. The money just isn’t there right now and the only ones with money are non playoff teams that don’t need him

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Guys like motte and Goodrow where they earn their money is playing playoff games. Motte would be smart to reup here cheap for two years get two more legit Cup shots and showcases, and and then really cash in at 29 years old. The money just isn’t there right now and the only ones with money are non playoff teams that don’t need him

I agree with this in theory but Motte's injury issues in the past make me think he wants to get paid now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad