Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXVII

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
No, just some excuses to help ease the pain of some guys underperforming in certain spots. It happens. You have to be better. If there were any big injuries, we would have found out by now.
That's definitely not true. Some players would be dealing with swelling that needs to go down until a surgery can be completed. Some injuries are just rehabbed as well, so if you don't have to disclose a 4-6 week injury that just needs rest, do you really need to let everyone know?

Nobody talked about Kreider being hurt and clearly he had some issue with one of his wrists. It depends on the player too. Panarin got hurt at the end of last season and nobody leaked or said what it was.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
For all of you Cody Glass fans, this is the year he has to go through waivers to be sent down to the AHL. If he does make the Preds, Rangers might have a chance to claim him. Any other young players that have to go through waivers to go back to the AHL that the Ranger can claim for depth. Glass at center would be help to this team.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I love that people are still saying all these players were injured. Has any of that been confirmed ?

Nothing confirmed, but Gallant was open about it in an interview with the reporters, like roughly “you all know that we had several players that were injured, but it’s up to them if they want to tell you about it”.

We still don’t know what injury Panarin got from the Wilson debacle.

I would say that this is what we know for “certain”, albeit I’ve not seen any confirmation:
1. Panarin was not in good shape to start the season.
2. It seemed like he started to get back on track after Christmas.
3. In the POs, his skating/speed was noticeably worse.

Why did he lose speed in the POs?

This does not have to be caused by an injury. Let’s discuss skating issues a bit. It’s the thing I know best, I was a 6’4 center and not a natural skater, always had big issues with my skating and worked really hard to improve it until I stopped playing at 21.

Many players have an imperfect stride and works tremendously hard to fix it. It’s never really about technic, these guys have been drilled about how to skate since they were toddlers almost, it’s about physical imbalances. Many kids skate perfectly when they are 6 y/o, when someone in the NHL don’t do it at 30 y/o it’s not about being a slow learner.

So what are those physical “imbalances” about? Look at the types who skates perfectly, and especially at a young age, and the opposite, the worst skaters at a young age. To skate well you need to be built more like a pyramid. Have a strong lower body in relationship to what’s above the waist. No kids skates worse than the tall and lanky. Then this can be broken down, but roughly this is what it’s about. It’s imply about law of physics. Your mass increase exponentially with your size. An elephant can’t move like an ant. Guys like Hedman are really really rare, 1 of a kind in the hockey world, while there are 1,000s of 5’10 players who skates really well.

Now, let’s go back and check the 2011 WJC. Panarin has a huge tournament, scores in the finals and what not. But he is an awful awful skater. Much worse than he is today, and hence goes undrafted. What took him to the NHL is without any doubt tremendously hard work, and especially on his core and lower body.

As a result — and this is quiet common — his skating can regress fast if he loses his perfect physical status. The balance isn’t there, you work tremendously hard to get it in place, and then injuries, a long wearing season, and perhaps less work outside the rink, you will regress.

So Panarin’s skating got worse, but it’s not a guarantee that it was a result of an injury. But my best bet is that it was. That he has been dealing with something for a longer time. Back issues? It’s my bet.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’m “scared” of signing Copp because he isn’t a center. Or at least there is no evidence that he is anymore. Especially on the Rangers. The Rangers cap is not healthy enough to get their center signing wrong. Copp is an unnecessary risk, who is going to cost a ton, who hasn’t played center regularly in years. He didn’t for the Rangers. He didn’t full time for the Jets. Period.

Copp played well at center when he had the chance here in NY. He played center on the PK as well. I get the sense that not playing Copp at center to finish the season was more about allowing him to get comfortable in a new setting and plugging a major hole at RW on that Panarin-Strome line than anything else.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
For all of you Cody Glass fans, this is the year he has to go through waivers to be sent down to the AHL. If he does make the Preds, Rangers might have a chance to claim him. Any other young players that have to go through waivers to go back to the AHL that the Ranger can claim for depth. Glass at center would be help to this team.
How does Cody Glass help this team if he can’t stick at the NHL level in other places?

AHL depth, sure.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Glass would be an interesting buy low candidate, but doubt he’d fall to the rangers. Some team below nyr would prob claim him first. I’d also look at lak who have a ton of centers and I think both Anderson-Dolan & vlardi need waivers this year. I think JAD is more likely to be moved over Vlardi.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Backlund centered one of the best 2nd lines in the league last year with Mangiapane and Coleman, pretty sure he could handle playing 2C with Panarin. I think Backlund would bring a similar impact to Copp and while his deal is shorter I'm not convinced it is a good idea to give up assets for him despite being a very good player and a good fit for Panarin.

Calgary won't look to dump him, they value him and we wouldn't be able to pick him up for nothing. If they're dumping someone it's Toffoli or Monahan.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
It's not a conspiracy theory. We know which guys were injured. Panarin wasn't one of them.
Source on Panarin? And remember, lack of confirmation for is not confirmation against.
BTW, the team not being in a hurry to tell the public players‘ medical issues is hardly a conspiracy theory. It’s just the way they operate. Remember Kakko? Are you going to tell me the team is an open book about it? Hahaha. Not all season, and I doubt now.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Do we equally have a source that says he was? Because until we do, isn't the default assumption that he wasn't because they would have said something by now if he was.
lack of confirmation for is not confirmation against. and vice versa.
He was injured toward the end of the season, sat games and missed a media thing that every other player attended. And never looked right in the playoffs. It’s a reasonable tact to assume he was not recovered. And playing 20 games in 40 days isn’t exactly conducive to recovery, though he did start to look better the last couple of games.
They never mentioned Kreider till he already had surgery, if Panarin had a nagging injury that just requires rest or rehab you think the team would have made an announcement? I don’t. In fact the only other injury confirmation was Strome, Also because he needs surgery. It would be weird if the team only had two injuries and they both required surgery.

Last edited:

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I’m going to be honest, a 2x$7M type of deal for Malkin isn’t the worst idea. Him as your 1B to Zibanejad is an amazing luxury. And it also doesn’t put you on the hook for 5-6 years with a Strome or Copp, allowing you financial flexibility a couple years down the road.
This is not your dynasty mode video game. Evgeni Malkin can not and will not be a New York Ranger.

Reactions: haveandare

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Backlund centered one of the best 2nd lines in the league last year with Mangiapane and Coleman, pretty sure he could handle playing 2C with Panarin. I think Backlund would bring a similar impact to Copp and while his deal is shorter I'm not convinced it is a good idea to give up assets for him despite being a very good player and a good fit for Panarin.

Calgary won't look to dump him, they value him and we wouldn't be able to pick him up for nothing. If they're dumping someone it's Toffoli or Monahan.
They just acquired Toffoli. Monahan is damaged goods. His value is negative. He had hip surgery in April. This is his 2nd hip surgery. The CBA doesn't allow a team to buyout an injured player.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Well this is kind of eye-opening for me. This whole Panarin rumor drama really helps me understand and weed out the Hockey fans who simply don't understand the business side of the sport even a little, and simply don't want to.

I genuinely can't believe there are people who believe Arthur Staple, an Islanders homer, has some insight over whether Artemi Panarin is going to be traded. You know, the franchise player who not too long ago signed a 7 year deal? It's absolutely asinine that people think a Panarin trade is even circling within Drury's mind. It's in the realm of pure fiction and reading some of the main board and all the trade proposals hurt my brain
Not sure how anyone can mention 'the business side of hockey' in the same post where they criticize people questioning Panarin's worth to this team w his HEFTY pricetag.

This has nothing to do w Staple or any rumors or 'insight'

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
The Rangers spend decades trying to get a player like Panarin, and after an albeit mediocre playoffs in which he was obviously hurt, we want to trade him

Just laughable 😂
He does not resemble the same guy.

First off - Playoffs were an utter disaster. Not mediocre. Disaster. Injury aside (which isn’t even clear whether or not there was one), I see a guy that embraces doing “dumb shit” , bullshitting around with his asswipe buddy Ryan Strome. You want to get into the depths of May and June with this soft, stick-wagging, primadonna effort? Far too games I saw a disinterested elite skill player. Objectively, I’m concerned about him - short term and long term. The signs are troubling.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Karlsson has too much money left on his contract. $5.9M AAV. 5 more years left. Stephenson fits at $2.75M AAV for two years. He will be 30 at the expiration of his contract. Any extension for Stephenson starts at 30. Roy is arbitration eligible. That's always an issue. An article in The Athletic has Roy's AAV being $3M for next season. Somewhere between $3M-4M seems fair/logical based on what Columbus gave Roslovic $4M. Closer to $3M than $4M.

Vegas also has Eichel at $10M AAV.

Can Vegas afford to keep all of their centers? Roy made $750,000 last season. He will increase that number by at least 4x this summer.

Brooks says the Devils could be interested in Georgiev. That makes sense. The Devils have the cap room for both Campbell and Georgiev. Both of them are an upgrade. Which team is taking Blackwood's contract? His cap is $2.8M but his salary is $4.125M.

We’re told by one informant that New Jersey may attempt to jump the process by dealing for the 30-year-old’s rights if the Maple Leafs cannot or will not extend the netminder, who started more than 26 games (47) in a season for the first time in his career.

The idea would be to move Mackenzie Blackwood, whose career has somehow careened off course during a couple of drama-filled seasons this fragile team does not need. It also does not need an older veteran coming off injuries to serve as the backup; e.g., Corey Crawford; Jonathan Bernier.

We’re hearing as well that the Devils could have interest in Alex Georgiev if he becomes unrestricted this summer, but likely as part of a tandem operation rather than as a No. 1.

It is unlikely that the Blueshirts would send No. 40’s rights to New Jersey without an overpay, though if Michael McLeod becomes part of the conversation, I’d be all in.

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
They just acquired Toffoli. Monahan is damaged goods. His value is negative. He had hip surgery in April. This is his 2nd hip surgery. The CBA doesn't allow a team to buyout an injured player.
Monahan's value is indeed negative, but I still think they would rather pay someone to take his contract than give away Backlund for nothing.

Toffoli was recently acquired, but he meshed poorly on the team and only makes 1M less than Backlund. Toffoli was perhaps Calgary's worst 5v5 player, Backlund is one of their better. If they are trying to stay in contention Monahan and Toffoli are the guys you try to get away from. Lucic is another option, his NMC is restricted to 10 teams and only has a year left on his deal.

Not saying Calgary won't trade him, but I definitely think they will want full value.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Copp played well at center when he had the chance here in NY. He played center on the PK as well. I get the sense that not playing Copp at center to finish the season was more about allowing him to get comfortable in a new setting and plugging a major hole at RW on that Panarin-Strome line than anything else.
I don’t buy that for two reasons.

- The Rangers needed help at center last year too.

- The Rangers (and the Jets) have both had him in house and played him at wing.

Just because he CAN play center, doesn’t mean that he should play center. Especially if center is not his best position. This is nothing against Copp, but the Rangers cannot get the center signing wrong, and if they pay Copp and he’s doesn’t solve the center issue, the cap and roster situation is toast. It’s not an investment the Rangers should make.

Reactions: 100Eyes

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don’t buy that for two reasons.

- The Rangers needed help at center last year too.

- The Rangers (and the Jets) have both had him in house and played him at wing.

Just because he CAN play center, doesn’t mean that he should play center. Especially if center is not his best position. This is nothing against Copp, but the Rangers cannot get the center signing wrong, and if they pay Copp and he’s doesn’t solve the center issue, the cap and roster situation is toast. It’s not an investment the Rangers should make.

He still never got to play much center when the Peg had injuries in the middle of the ice, and while he says he prefers center it may not prefer him

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He still never got to play much center when the Peg had injuries in the middle of the ice, and while he says he prefers center it may not prefer him
Exactly. the Rangers didn't acquire him to be a right wing. The Rangers had him in house, saw him in practice, and played him right wing.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I’m Cody’s biggest fan bar none, thanks for the news!

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This is not your dynasty mode video game. Evgeni Malkin can not and will not be a New York Ranger.
Henrik Lundqvist was a Washington Capital.

Evgeni Malkin said it himself the only other teams he’d play for besides the Pens was the Habs or the Rangers. Granted this was over a decade ago so unless he absolutely hates us now I don’t see it as unrealistic. If we were Coyotes fans, I would agree and say the same thing. Difference is we’re the NYR, we’re known to sign washed up stars, we have a huge hole at 2C with a premier Russian winger stapled to his line, and we’re in contention. Malkin is a very realistic option. I’d be very surprised if the Pens don’t manage to lock him up, but if he hits FA, there really aren’t any better fits for him or us

If he doesn’t sign with the Pens where do you think he honestly ends up? I think everyone would put NYR at the top of the list

Kreider-Mika-Lafreniere
Panarin-Malkin-Kravtsov
Vatrano-Chytil-Kakko
Blais-Goodrow-Reaves

He replaces Strome on the RW of PP1. Then you have potentially one of the best powerplays of all time

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I read somewhere that he prefers to play center? Could be wrong with that. I dunno I think Copp has been great since coming here and think will be a mistake if they decide to keep Strome.

Reactions: Uglybstrd and RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Henrik Lundqvist was a Washington Capital.

Evgeni Malkin said it himself the only other teams he’d play for besides the Pens was the Habs or the Rangers. Granted this was over a decade ago so unless he absolutely hates us now I don’t see it as unrealistic. If we were Coyotes fans, I would agree and say the same thing. Difference is we’re the NYR, we’re known to sign washed up stars, we have a huge hole at 2C with a premier Russian winger stapled to his line, and we’re in contention. Malkin is a very realistic option. I’d be very surprised if the Pens don’t manage to lock him up, but if he hits FA, there really aren’t any better fits for him or us

If he doesn’t sign with the Pens where do you think he honestly ends up? I think everyone would put NYR at the top of the list

Kreider-Mika-Lafreniere
Panarin-Malkin-Kravtsov
Vatrano-Chytil-Kakko
Blais-Goodrow-Reaves

He replaces Strome on the RW of PP1. Then you have potentially one of the best powerplays of all time
I think I would prefer Motte over Vatrano if it came down to it. And if there is room bargain hunt for a cheap 4th line to put Reaves as the 13th. Wonder if Ty Johnson would take a $1 million aav since he will be getting his buyout money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad