Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXVII

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Monahan's value is indeed negative, but I still think they would rather pay someone to take his contract than give away Backlund for nothing.

Toffoli was recently acquired, but he meshed poorly on the team and only makes 1M less than Backlund. Toffoli was perhaps Calgary's worst 5v5 player, Backlund is one of their better. If they are trying to stay in contention Monahan and Toffoli are the guys you try to get away from. Lucic is another option, his NMC is restricted to 10 teams and only has a year left on his deal.

Not saying Calgary won't trade him, but I definitely think they will want full value.
Which team is paying Calgary full value for Toffoli? Other teams know Calgary needs to clear space. The Flames up a #1 pick and the kid they acquired from Florida in the Bennett trade who was a 2nd round pick. Will another team give them that deal knowing the Flames need to shed money?

Calgary can attach a 2nd round pick to move Monahan's contract. He has a 10 no trade list.

Reactions: Ola

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Henrik Lundqvist was a Washington Capital.

Evgeni Malkin said it himself the only other teams he’d play for besides the Pens was the Habs or the Rangers. Granted this was over a decade ago so unless he absolutely hates us now I don’t see it as unrealistic. If we were Coyotes fans, I would agree and say the same thing. Difference is we’re the NYR, we’re known to sign washed up stars, we have a huge hole at 2C with a premier Russian winger stapled to his line, and we’re in contention. Malkin is a very realistic option. I’d be very surprised if the Pens don’t manage to lock him up, but if he hits FA, there really aren’t any better fits for him or us

If he doesn’t sign with the Pens where do you think he honestly ends up? I think everyone would put NYR at the top of the list

Kreider-Mika-Lafreniere
Panarin-Malkin-Kravtsov
Vatrano-Chytil-Kakko
Blais-Goodrow-Reaves

He replaces Strome on the RW of PP1. Then you have potentially one of the best powerplays of all time
Malkin would be a good option IF he would sign for 2X5$M. It would give us time to find another C and see how Chytil's game progresses. BUT, Malkin is not the type of player Gallant and the Rangers are looking to get, since they want to play faster and with an edge.

That's why I would go all in NOW for PLD. He's 23, a third overall pick with very good size, moves well and has an edge. Also, played with Panarin in CLB and meshed fairly well. WE would be set for the forseeable future at C with him and Mika as the 1-2 C.

It would cost young players for sure, likely KK, Chytil/Kravtsov, Lundqvist/Robertson. Signing PLD long term would be the main issue, he's an RFA, who's coming off a 2year deal with an AVV of $5M. If we could sign him at 7X7.5$M. I'd do it. We have enough young wingers in the pipeline, coming up and we could could shore up our weakest position for the next 7 years...

Reactions: Cag29 and 100Eyes

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Malkin would be a good option IF he would sign for 2X5$M. It would give us time to find another C and see how Chytil's game progresses. BUT, Malkin is not the type of player Gallant and the Rangers are looking to get, since they want to play faster and with an edge.

That's why I would go all in NOW for PLD. He's 23, a third overall pick with very good size, moves well and has an edge. Also, played with Panarin in CLB and meshed fairly well. WE would be set for the forseeable future at C with him and Mika as the 1-2 C.

It would cost young players for sure, likely KK, Chytil/Kravtsov, Lundqvist/Robertson. Signing PLD long term would be the main issue, he's an RFA, who's coming off a 2year deal with an AVV of $5M. If we could sign him at 7X7.5$M. I'd do it. We have enough young wingers in the pipeline, coming up and we could could shore up our weakest position for the next 7 years...
Malkin plays with an edge and absolutely nothing Drury has done signals to me he wants to get faster. Copp/Braun/Blais/Goodrow all poor skaters with average speed at best. I don’t see how Malkin doesn’t fit Gallant’s system either, it’s f***ing Evgeni Malkin. How does Dubois fit Gallant’s system but Malkin doesn’t? Both power forward centers with an edge

Just a reminder that if we do trade Kakko+Chytil+Lundkvist for Dubois as you’re implying we would’ve have spent

Kakko+Chytil+Lundkvist+Barron+1st+2nd altogether to find a 2C. Which would arguably be some of the worst asset management I’ve ever seen

We might as well have just pursued Eichel if we’re giving up that much. The options we have for 2C need to be free. Copp/Malkin/Trocheck. You have your 2C there

Reactions: surlysailor

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Dubois wants to play in Montreal. Why would the Rangers want to deal with this headache? Why? Dubois is telling people around the Jets about his desire to be a Hab. He told Winnipeg the truth about his free agent status. Two more years and I am going to Montreal.

Here is what I believe to be true about Dubois. I believe he quite sincerely does hope to test the UFA market in 2024. I believe he would like to play in Montreal in the long run and has not been shy about expressing that within team circles. I don’t think telling the Jets about his UFA plans is posturing in the slightest; I think it is the truth.

Rival clubs can call all they want and the Jets can approach teams all they want. Winnipeg doesn’t have any incentive to trade Dubois this summer unless it is blown away by a potential trade return. The Jets certainly don’t have any incentive to trade Dubois specifically to Montreal; if anything, maximizing a trade return means talking to as many teams with centre needs as possible in an attempt to drive up the asking price. Moreover, Winnipeg can’t realistically ask for an enormous trade return for Dubois if the team that acquires him has to deal with the exact same UFA-in-2024 fears the Jets do.

Gorton knows how to pick his teams. Panarin wanted to play in NY in 2019. Dubois wants to play in Montreal in 2024. Gorton didn't take over Ottawa or some other team which couldn't land a free agent with a blank check.

Last edited:

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Malkin plays with an edge and absolutely nothing Drury has done signals to me he wants to get faster. Copp/Braun/Blais/Goodrow all poor skaters with average speed at best. I don’t see how Malkin doesn’t fit Gallant’s system either, it’s f***ing Evgeni Malkin. How does Dubois fit Gallant’s system but Malkin doesn’t? Both power forward centers with an edge

Just a reminder that if we do trade Kakko+Chytil+Lundkvist for Dubois as you’re implying we would’ve have spent

Kakko+Chytil+Lundkvist+Barron+1st+2nd for a 2C.

We might as well have just pursued Eichel if we’re giving up that much. The options we have for 2C need to be free. Copp/Malkin/Trocheck. You have your 2C there
Yeah, Malkin even 5 years ago played that way, now he can't because he's breaking down every year and is out 30-40 games a season if he plays that way. Loot at how GG teams played in both Fla & Vegas, fast, puck pressure teams.

Dubois wants to play in Montreal. Why would the Rangers want to deal with this headache? Why? Dubois is telling people around the Jets about his desire to be a Hab. He told Winnipeg the truth about his free agent status. Two more years and I am going to Montreal.

If he wants to sign here long term great, but if he's settled on a team (Montreal) when he hits UFA in 2 years time, then obviously we move on

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Yeah, Malkin even 5 years ago played that way, now he can't because he's breaking down every year and is out 30-40 games a season if he plays that way. Loot at how GG teams played in both Fla & Vegas, fast, puck pressure teams.
Lol clueless. Dubois is an average skater. And again how do you justify spending Kakko+Chytil+Lundkvist+Barron+1st+2nd on a 2C?

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Lol clueless. Dubois is an average skater. And again how do you justify spending Kakko+Chytil+Lundkvist+Barron+1st+2nd on a 2C?
Buddy, i couldn't care 2 shits about what we gave up for Copp. If Copp wants money we can't afford to give him, so what? PLD has his issues like all players, but skating ain't one of them, you're the cluleess one

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal

Gorton knows how to pick his teams. Panarin wanted to play in NY in 2019. Dubois wants to play in Montreal in 2024. Gorton didn't take over Ottawa or some other team which couldn't land a free agent with a blank check.
Lot's can happen in 2 years.
Montreal has Suzuki signed long term as their 1C for $8M and is viewed as their most likely next captain. They will draft C Shane Wright in 2 weeks time 1OA and since they will suck again next year, they will have a realistic chance of drafting Bedard or another top C. They have tons of picks in the next couple of years. So lot's of things can happen before now and then...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the Rangers deem it’s time to turn the keys over to the young kids, another guy who would fit pretty well on a 3rd line would be Calle Jarnkrok. He’s 30 years old but perhaps he takes a 2-4 year deal. He can play wing or center and provide pretty good secondary offense.

I’ve mentioned Michael Raffl a few times but he would immediately improve this teams 4th line and he’s a very good PKer. He’s probably looking at a 2 year deal.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Rangers ain't moving bread. Yeah he had a bad playoffs but that's the thing about him; even when he's bad he produces. Still plays at a 100 point pace. They'll give him multiple shots to figure it out in the playoffs. Like any other skill player he needs to adjust his game. The ice sucks everywhere in May and June and there's 0 time and space to begin with. He needs to change his game a bit in the playoffs to be effective. Really, if all he does is eliminate some turnovers and get a couple more pucks deep he'll be fine. What's concerning with him is the lack of willingness and effectiveness to forecheck. He used to pick guys pockets on the forecheck like Datsyuk and he looks a little lazier out there. Screams wrist injury to me honestly. Kreider was also not great on the forecheck or retrieving pucks.

Panarin will be fine. We've gotta get this 2C thing figured out. But I'm so glad we've drafted Kravtsov, Kakko, Laf, Othmann while signing Panarin and Kreider long term to big money contracts and moving Chytil to the wing. Complete brain dead drafting by this team and a refusal to draft on need versus what they perceive as the best player available. Even if Laf turned out to be the better player Quinton Byfield would slot in literally perfectly at the 2C slot and you could let Strome and Copp walk and have a much better cap situation. This teams inability to draft elite talent and draft for positional need will simply never change. It's like they have a written policy that #1 picks are only used for Wingers and D. And if you happen to draft a C by mistake, you gotta move him to the wing. Goalies will only be selected lower than the third round and must be generational. Like this team does so many things well but refuses to apply those successful principles to the C position. It's been this way f***ing forever and it's the most frustrating thing ever

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Rangers ain't moving bread. Yeah he had a bad playoffs but that's the thing about him; even when he's bad he produces. Still plays at a 100 point pace. They'll give him multiple shots to figure it out in the playoffs. Like any other skill player he needs to adjust his game. The ice sucks everywhere in May and June and there's 0 time and space to begin with. He needs to change his game a bit in the playoffs to be effective. Really, if all he does is eliminate some turnovers and get a couple more pucks deep he'll be fine. What's concerning with him is the lack of willingness and effectiveness to forecheck. He used to pick guys pockets on the forecheck like Datsyuk and he looks a little lazier out there. Screams wrist injury to me honestly. Kreider was also not great on the forecheck or retrieving pucks.

Panarin will be fine. We've gotta get this 2C thing figured out. But I'm so glad we've drafted Kravtsov, Kakko, Laf, Othmann while signing Panarin and Kreider long term to big money contracts and moving Chytil to the wing. Complete brain dead drafting by this team and a refusal to draft on need versus what they perceive as the best player available. Even if Laf turned out to be the better player Quinton Byfield would slot in literally perfectly at the 2C slot and you could let Strome and Copp walk and have a much better cap situation. This teams inability to draft elite talent and draft for positional need will simply never change. It's like they have a written policy that #1 picks are only used for Wingers and D. And if you happen to draft a C by mistake, you gotta move him to the wing. Goalies will only be selected lower than the third round and must be generational. Like this team does so many things well but refuses to apply those successful principles to the C position. It's been this way f***ing forever and it's the most frustrating thing ever
Ask Tony if he's happy that Montreal drafted for need with Chucky and KK.

Reactions: jerseyjinx94

Payote75

May 11, 2021
Hard pass on Malkin affordable or not I don't want that big ahole whiny dumb penalty taking dope on this team.

• Haha
Reactions: FUZfan

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL

I don’t really think this is a fair assessment. The Rangers have drafted their fair share of players who ended up as centers (eg Miller), and they’ve also converted young players to center numerous times (eg Hayes).

When you’re drafting you usually take the best player available because you don’t know what your team needs will be. Drafting a C who you rank 2 to a LW you rank 1 bc you need a center right now is not smart. You get the best talent and sort it out later. When your team is more set and you’re picking in the middle or end of a round you can take a few more chances.

Also, Chytil hasn’t been converted to wing.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
No one would be questioning us drafting Laffy over Byfield if we could develop our young forwards...

BUT we can't...

SOOOOOOO now folks 2nd guess us drafting #1 overall and taking the by far consensus #1

• Haha
Reactions: jerseyjinx94

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Sign Kakko 2 years $2.4M per.
Sign Charlie Lindgren 1 year $850K.

Trade Nemeth and Georgiev to Buffalo for a 2022 3rd.

Trade Gauthier to Montreal for 2023 4th.

Find a taker for Hajek, cut him, or bring him back at league minimum to be your spare D.

At that point, your team looks like this.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Lafreniere
Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
Blais - Goodrow - Kravtsov
Hunt - Rydahl - Reaves

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Jones - Schneider

Shesterkin
Lindgren

$7.68M in cap space to make improvements. Use it for a 1-2 year deals, nothing crazy, to make some improvements. Find your own version of Corey Perry. Bump Hunt to spare forward and Rydahl to spare or AHL. Bump Goodrow to 4th line. I don’t mind Blais opening on line 3. That’s not a terrible spot to be in. Almost $25M in cap space for 2023 off-season. Lock up Miller and Lafreniere. Figure the rest out after.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Backlund is the type of thinking the team needs to use,, but Calgary will keep him. Monahan in the last year of his contract isn't a horrible idea. We could likely be paid to take him with a 2nd pick or maybe a pretty good prospect. If he gets hurt again then you LTIR him, or if he is bad, you just sit him/dump him at the deadline as part of a different move. It's not a big risk but it has high potential reward. And again, we recoup some of the draft capital we just lost this deadline.

Stay away from Malkin.

Sign Kakko 2 years $2.4M per.
Sign Charlie Lindgren 1 year $850K.

Trade Nemeth and Georgiev to Buffalo for a 2022 3rd.

Trade Gauthier to Montreal for 2023 4th.

Find a taker for Hajek, cut him, or bring him back at league minimum to be your spare D.

At that point, your team looks like this.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Lafreniere
Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
Blais - Goodrow - Kravtsov
Hunt - Rydahl - Reaves

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Jones - Schneider

Shesterkin
Lindgren

$7.68M in cap space to make improvements. Use it for a 1-2 year deals, nothing crazy, to make some improvements. Find your own version of Corey Perry. Bump Hunt to spare forward and Rydahl to spare or AHL. Bump Goodrow to 4th line. I don’t mind Blais opening on line 3. That’s not a terrible spot to be in. Almost $25M in cap space for 2023 off-season. Lock up Miller and Lafreniere. Figure the rest out after.
Keep it simple. Don't try to be the smartest guy in the room. I am a fan of this type of offseason too.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I do not expect them to even entertain trading Panarin, so then what? Have to build a line around him that make sense. And I mean for the PLAYOFFS.

That said, I have no good answers, other than it can't be Strome or the next Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad