Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXVII

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Malkin apparently wants to play in Florida. The Panthers can't afford him. Greg Wyshynski has a weekly 30 minute segment of the Jerk Marek show every Wednesday. A few weeks ago after Pittsburgh and Florida were eliminated, Greg said he heard Malkin wants to play in south Florida if he doesn't stay in Pittsburgh. Florida can't afford him. They don't have space for Giroux.

Florida has Bob for 4 more seasons. They could retain 50% and free up $5,000,000. Hornqvist has one more season at $5.9M.

Huberdeau has another season left before he is owed a big contract. Weegar will be a group III next summer.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Malkin is one of my least favorite players in history, and the thought of him in NYR uniform makes me nauseous.

And that's before we talk about the real practical implications of committing big cap space to a star center, and what trying to fit him into our PP would even look like.

Just seems like one of those 2007 era Sather moves.
he hasn't played alot these past seasons... what' wrong with him?

not a big fan of aquiring him, but there's no doubt he brings alot of talent at the #2.

he might be past it... ?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Bread is really tough to evaluate. He's an incredible, all world player on the power play or whenever else he has time and space.

However, he's small and he's painfully slow. Like Reaves slow. Because of this, in the playoffs he was actually a detriment 5v5. This allowed other teams to throw everything match-up wise at the zib line (particularly on the road), which caused the Carolina series to go seven, and ultimately wore down the entire team against Tampa.

Couple this with bread being the second highest paid player in the league (he takes up the space of basically two kreiders or two copps or whatever other combination of 12 milliondollar players suits your fancy), and a pretty good argument could be made that bread is the reason the rangers struggle 5v5.

Obviously, a team can win in the regular season with this great pp, mediocre (at best) 5v5 formula. The question is can a team win a cup with a player like bread taking up the cap space he does?

Bottom line is Bread has to fix his 5v5 game, including his fitness levels. He got "lazy" and pampered by the Rangers... so here we are. Besides, Panarin did Strome a huge disfavor using him as his personal puck support assistant driving his wheelchair. It's not good for Strome's game and it distorts the entire line. The third player on that line has to 1. Be extremely solid defensively doing the work for two players 2. Have the wheels to be the first guy back for defensive duties, while simultaneously be the first guy up top on offense all while Strome ghosts around looking for lose pucks to give to floating Bread. It's ridiculous. I hate it.

Now Panarin is no spring chicken, but he's no ancient mariner either, he should be able to fix his fitness. The problem is more who plays with him at C to fix the Panarin line in general.
- If it's Copp expect more of the same, maybe not as exaggerated but still.
- If it's a strong player in his own right (eg JT Miller) it will cost a LOT in picks and kids to sort out. And the year after, summer of 23, one or two of Trouba/Kreider/Panarin have to be moved to make the money work.
- If it's eg Chytil + Kakko Panarin has to get back to his old game and adapt to them to a degree rather than the other way around. This is probably the solution that makes the most sense. But, personally I think the kid line should be left alone as a complete line of it's own.

Ned Braden

Feb 2, 2018
Bottom line is Bread has to fix his 5v5 game, including his fitness levels. He got "lazy" and pampered by the Rangers... so here we are. Besides, Panarin did Strome a huge disfavor using him as his personal puck support assistant driving his wheelchair. It's not good for Strome's game and it distorts the entire line. The third player on that line has to 1. Be extremely solid defensively doing the work for two players 2. Have the wheels to be the first guy back for defensive duties, while simultaneously be the first guy up top on offense all while Strome ghosts around looking for lose pucks to give to floating Bread. It's ridiculous. I hate it.

Now Panarin is no spring chicken, but he's no ancient mariner either, he should be able to fix his fitness. The problem is more who plays with him at C to fix the Panarin line in general.
- If it's Copp expect more of the same, maybe not as exaggerated but still.
- If it's a strong player in his own right (eg JT Miller) it will cost a LOT in picks and kids to sort out. And the year after, summer of 23, one or two of Trouba/Kreider/Panarin have to be moved to make the money work.
- If it's eg Chytil + Kakko Panarin has to get back to his old game and adapt to them to a degree rather than the other way around. This is probably the solution that makes the most sense. But, personally I think the kid line should be left alone as a complete line of it's own.
You reference JT Miller as someone that would be a good C for bread. I don't think this team could ever really afford both those players without jettisoning at least two other good ones.

Maybe the question we should be asking is whether we would rather have JT Miller at 8 million for say six years OR bread at 12 for four. And before answering, ask yourself this...would any team in the nhl be willing to trade JT Miller at that contract for Artemi Panarin at his?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
You reference JT Miller as someone that would be a good C for bread. I don't think this team could ever really afford both those players without jettisoning at least two other good ones.

Maybe the question we should be asking is whether we would rather have JT Miller at 8 million for say six years OR bread at 12 for four. And before answering, ask yourself this...would any team in the nhl be willing to trade JT Miller at that contract for Artemi Panarin at his?

I know, I said as much in my post.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Calgary may need to move money this summer.

Mikael Backlund is signed for another two seasons at $5.3M. Backlund as the 3rd line center behind Zibanejad and Chytil. I thought about Backlund a few days ago looking at Capfriendly. Calgary won't move Dube. One of these teams which could need to move money to keep their other players. Can Drury make a trade from a team looking to shed money instead of investing a long-term contract to keep one of his own players or sign a free agent?

I just read this from The Athletic

Option 3: Let’s make a deal

If the Flames struggle to make a move with underperforming contracts, what about one involving a player who has more value?

What about Mikael Backlund?

This would be tough. He’s the longest-tenured Flame and a solid centre — you’d need to replace him if you lose him. Still, his trade value might be higher than it’s been in a while after a solid playoffs, and he makes $5.35 million for two more years. And because he’s been a reliable player, the Flames wouldn’t need to pad the deal with futures to entice a team to bite. They coul get something in return: A pick and/or a prospect, maybe?

This would help the Flames now — freeing up money. And in the future — acquiring assets. You can’t say that about any of the other options.

The Rangers have an excess of younger D. Would Calgary want Robertson? He is from Alberta. Closer to Edmonton than Calgary. Played for the Edmonton Oil Kings.

The last year of the Backlund contract could come back to haunt the Rangers if they need the $$$. It's only two seasons. The Rangers could always trade the last season of the contract. His hockey analytic numbers are really good.

Zibanejad
Chytil
Backlund
Larsson

Down the middle

Last edited:

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
I’m going to be honest, a 2x$7M type of deal for Malkin isn’t the worst idea. Him as your 1B to Zibanejad is an amazing luxury. And it also doesn’t put you on the hook for 5-6 years with a Strome or Copp, allowing you financial flexibility a couple years down the road.
I love this idea but I’d do 1 year deal with any money nyr have left after re-signing kakko & back up goalie. Get cheap vets to fill out the 4th line. Even guys like hinostroza or bought out players. Then you go
Kzl
Panarin-Malkin-kk/krav
Xx/Othman/good-chytil-krav/kk
Hino/fa-good/xx-reeves/hunt

Ned Braden

Feb 2, 2018
We really got people considering moving Panarin to bring back Bozo
You know we agree on a lot of stuff my dude - and this is all hypothetical - but Miller is younger, puts up the same points (more last year), waaaaay bigger and faster, a center, and can probably be had for significantly less money.

He's just a better option as a player. Of course he would cost assets to have this year, but my point isn't really that the Rangers should go get JT Miller...it's what the Rangers could do with the money they're paying bread to be a small, slow playoff eye sore.

I'll ask this differently for you. Would you rather have one Panarin for twelve million, or two I don't know let's say Buchnevichs for six?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Calgary may need to move money this summer.

Mikael Backlund is signed for another two seasons at $5.3M. Backlund as the 3rd line center behind Zibanejad and Chytil. I thought about Backlund a few days ago looking at Capfriendly. Calgary won't move Dube. One of these teams which could need to move money to keep their other players. Can Drury make a trade from a team looking to shed money instead of investing a long-term contract to keep one of his own players or sign a free agent?

I just read this from The Athletic

The Rangers have an excess of younger D. Would Calgary want Robertson? He is from Alberta. Closer to Edmonton than Calgary. Played for the Edmonton Oil Kings.

The last year of the Backlund contract could come back to haunt the Rangers if they need the $$$. It's only two seasons. The Rangers could always trade the last season of the contract. His hockey analytic numbers are really good.

Zibanejad
Chytil
Backlund
Larsson

Down the middle
Good outside the box idea that could work. Interesting.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
he hasn't played alot these past seasons... what' wrong with him?

not a big fan of aquiring him, but there's no doubt he brings alot of talent at the #2.

he might be past it... ?

he certainly is past a lot of it, got a lot of mileage.

But imo , he's also in the same realm as Crosby and Ovi.

ultimately he'll be way too expensive.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
If the NYR do end up re-acquiring Miller it’s gonna be really interesting seeing everyone who thinks he’s some new player watch him on a regular basis again when his PP time/role isn't the same.

He’s still prone to the same occasional gaffes he made when he was here that drove this board insane.

Unclear why we'd be trading a piece of fairly substantial value in Robertson for a cap dump- be he useful or not.

Depends on what the read on Robertson is, which I won’t pretend to have. But surprising that he didn’t even get a cup of coffee on the 3rd pair.

If the contract is better than Copp’s demands both in AAV and term, and the player a bit fit for the team due to his skill set than Strome (and also w less term) I could see some appeal.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
It’s interesting though. It seems any C suggestion is chewed up and spit out in here. There’s this idea that the white whale young 2C is available out there that a team is waiting to hand away for one of our undersized puck movers and a prospect like Kravtsov and a Chytil. Id love to know what “the move” is in the eyes of some.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Depends on what the read on Robertson is, which I won’t pretend to have. But surprising that he didn’t even get a cup of coffee on the 3rd pair.

If the contract is better than Copp’s demands both in AAV and term, and the player a bit fit for the team due to his skill set than Strome (and also w less term) I could see some appeal.

Robertson has a limited ceiling but I'd wager he's still worth an even 2nd round pick right now.

Frankly, I'd only want to part with a piece like that if they retained salary.

Backlund is a solid 2C/3C option but we'd be trading for the cap relief in 2 years time as opposed to the alternatives in Strome and Copp who would each get 4+ years. It's an idea I'm certainly open to but if we are moving pieces of any value you'd prefer to see even a little money retained.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
The very highest paid doctors don't even make ELC type money, and it's a very tough job. Hard to find a more lucrative job than being an 8 million per year traffic cone
True. Jacob will have made about 74million by the time his current contract ends. Then he will make more. While it is very unlikely that his wife will make that even if her career spans 50 years, it’s a false premise that her career is valuable to him because of the money. Her career is valuable to him because it is valuable to her.
Since he has a say so if he’s traded, until he doesn’t, the money is irrelevant to the likelihood that he is moved. As long as he has a say, he is going NOWHERE.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Malkin sucks. Backlund would be awesome if you could get him for cheap, really nice 3rd line C.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Malkin would be great only if healthy for a playoff run.

Backlund at 2C is a little risky. I can see it being a Matt Cullen situation when he was with the Rangers, a really really good 3C who was in over his head as a 2C.

With Vegas signing Smith, how do they fit in Roy and Kolesar? The Rangers could essentially trade for both and take care of their center depth for the next 3-4 years.

Reactions: Galvatron

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
What kind of doctor are they? That is extraordinarily high pay for a doctor, average doctor salary in the US is about 220K, average doctor also paid 800K for schooling.

Trouba's wife has a Neuroscience degree, the median income for a neurologist is 268K, top percentile is 358K. Even if she were to become a neurosurgeon the median income is 638K and top percentile is 962K. And I doubt very many women married to NHL players work until 70 when their husband retires before 40 lol
Well median neurosurgeon pay in NYC is 900k+, let’s not assume she doesn’t go that way. But ”plain old neurologist” median here is about 325k, top 10% making 450K or better. But again, the value of her career, give their finances, does not necessarily lie in the money. Maybe she wants to be on the cutting edge. Not many places better than NYC for that.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Trading more assets for a 2C fit would be a bad move. We already traded for Copp. Either re-sign him or sign Trocheck. Focus on C through the draft or pray that Chytil takes another step. If we trade let’s say Kravtsov+Lundkvist for a Bo Horvat type, we’re losing more assets just to acquire a marginally better C than Copp or Trocheck. So in total we’d be trading 1st+2nd+Barron+Kravtsov+Lundkvist for that 2C who’s a slight upgrade on “free” options

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad