Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
They can do like a Sherlock Holmes fight scene type of breakdown for Fox.... slow motion monologue type thing

Reactions: Cheapshot

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
From the article:

The Rangers have won four straight games against Eastern teams in a playoff spot, defeating the Pittsburgh Penguins twice, the Hurricanes and Lightning. They are 10-2-0 against the other seven potential playoff teams from the East since Dec. 31 and 13-5-0 overall.

There’s someone on this forum who loudly insists the Rangers can’t beat good teams.
In fairness, I understand this mindset from a couple of months ago. The team was getting caved regularly at even strength, and winning games in what was certainly an unsustainable way on the backs of heroic goaltending and a league best PP.

This mindset ignores a couple of things though:

1. Improvement under a new coach.
2. Deadline adds.

This team is not the same as the team heading into the all star break on several fronts. They aren’t a favorite to win the Cup but they are certainly in contention and can beat any team in a seven game series if they maintain their top level consistently.

And they got here without mortgaging the future. Let’s not forget that.

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad have played with multiple partners on their right side since joining forces in 2016-17. But not one — not Pavel Buchnevich, Mats Zuccarello nor Jesper Fast and not Kaapo Kakko, Alexis Lafreniere nor Barclay Goodrow — brings the attributes to the unit that Frank Vatrano offers.

Buchnevich was a playmaking corner guy who developed grit; Fast did the dirty work; Kakko worked the walls and slowed it down; Zuccarello was the master of east-west creativity. But Vatrano, acquired from the Panthers for a fourth-rounder five days ahead of the deadline, brings the elements of straight-line speed, a game that goes north, and a shooter’s mentality that changes the line’s dynamic.

4. The eight-team playoff division standings:
1. Rangers, 13-5; :sarcasm:
2. Florida, 11-4-3;
3. Toronto, 8-5-1;
4. Carolina, 10-6-5;
5. Pittsburgh, 9-7-3;
6. Washington, 7-8-2;
7. Boston, 5-7-2;
8. Tampa Bay, 6-9-3.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
From the article:

The Rangers have won four straight games against Eastern teams in a playoff spot, defeating the Pittsburgh Penguins twice, the Hurricanes and Lightning. They are 10-2-0 against the other seven potential playoff teams from the East since Dec. 31 and 13-5-0 overall.

There’s someone on this forum who loudly insists the Rangers can’t beat good teams.

Havent heard from him in awhile

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
From the article:

thats hot

Reactions: leetch99

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Finishing the season 8-2-4 in our last 14 would put us at exactly 113 points-- the same number of points we had in 2015 when we won the President's Trophy.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
In fairness, it’s nunserstand this mindset from a couple of months ago. The team was getting caved regularly at even strength, and winning games in what was certainly an unsustainable way on the backs of heroic goaltending and a league best PP.

This mindset ignores a couple of things though:

1. Improvement under a new coach.
2. Deadline adds.

This team is not the same as the team heading into the all star break on several fronts. They aren’t a favorite to win the Cup but they are certainly in contention and can beat any team in a seven game series if they maintain their top level consistently.

And they got here without mortgaging the future. Let’s not forget that.
The thing is, the bolded was the rebuttal every time to the doomsday, pessimistic, “this isn’t sustainable so everyone stop being happy they are winning” regurgitated and shoved down our throats over and over and over again. I am not even going to call myself optimistic, but I will say that I strongly felt that the bolded would happen, that we just needed to get to the deadline.

And that given how young the team is, we should have been allowed to enjoy some team success even if it relied heavily on Igor for much of it. He is a spectacular goalie, that is what they do. We have a young team learning how to win and learning how to play in this league. And under a new coach. Yes the new coach said all teams employ a lot of the same system. However the personality of the coach, his coaching style, his demeanor, his expectations, his reactions after losses, etc, all that needs to be learned by the team and that takes time. And wouldnt you know it things are starting to come together. Drury had a great trade deadline. Everyone who was ready to jump off a roof after the Buchnevich trade can take a step back and say maybe Drury knows what he is doing, maybe the Buch trade was just a matter of the circumstances at the time.

The bottom line was and is, if you (as in whomev er) wants to be miserable until they win a cup or until the team is playing to YOUR personal standard then go do it on your own time. Dont go telling fellow fans how to feel and that the team sucks even though they are winning games.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad have played with multiple partners on their right side since joining forces in 2016-17. But not one — not Pavel Buchnevich, Mats Zuccarello nor Jesper Fast and not Kaapo Kakko, Alexis Lafreniere nor Barclay Goodrow — brings the attributes to the unit that Frank Vatrano offers.

Buchnevich was a playmaking corner guy who developed grit; Fast did the dirty work; Kakko worked the walls and slowed it down; Zuccarello was the master of east-west creativity. But Vatrano, acquired from the Panthers for a fourth-rounder five days ahead of the deadline, brings the elements of straight-line speed, a game that goes north, and a shooter’s mentality that changes the line’s dynamic.

4. The eight-team playoff division standings:
1. Rangers, 13-5; :sarcasm:
2. Florida, 11-4-3;
3. Toronto, 8-5-1;
4. Carolina, 10-6-5;
5. Pittsburgh, 9-7-3;
6. Washington, 7-8-2;
7. Boston, 5-7-2;
8. Tampa Bay, 6-9-3.

I remember when beating every non-playoff team we face wasn't enough and everyone was bitching we couldn't beat a good team.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It’s been known that whatever 2C the team signed would have some warts. They can’t afford another Zibanejad. Copp just so happens to check the boxes that needed to be checked. He’s not perfect but he fits the needs of the team now and in the future

I am just afraid that Copp will be too expensive.

Panarin will make most centers work. There is a center out there who would come dirt cheap and who I also think would work with Panarin. Or even be a solid fit on a 3rd line. Canadian passport but currently resides in the Magnitogorsk oblast. He would be in the NHL now if he had a flip phone like Panarin. If Carolina had to replace a center I think they would have looked at him just as they did with TDA.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I am just afraid that Copp will be too expensive.

Panarin will make most centers work. There is a center out there who would come dirt cheap and who I also think would work with Panarin. Or even be a solid fit on a 3rd line. Canadian passport but currently resides in the Magnitogorsk oblast. He would be in the NHL now if he had a flip phone like Panarin. If Carolina had to replace a center I think they would have looked at him just as they did with TDA.
I'd rather stop giving Panarin half-ass linemates though during his prime. Yes, he makes players better around him but he deserves linemates who are actually good. If Copp will accept 5M, i take him. Strome is gone anyway.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Bruins sign Marc McLaughlin and scores his 1st NHL goal during a playoff race late in the season. If the Rangers sign Bobby Trivingo, just put him in the lineup, can;t be any worse than Hunt or McKegg

I doubt he plays in the NHL this soon but having his ELC kick in immediately might happen anyway to get it over the line, like with Scanlin

Reactions: egelband

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Yeah I'm not arguing he doesn't deserve it or that his agent is greedy.

I'm arguing, he wants to be a Ranger and there's a flat hard cap. Could have been a bit more favorable to the place he wants to be and hopefully win.

but I get it. why him? and no one else. Kreids and Mika are favorable though
I wish the NHL allowed for restructuring of contracts. Doesn't have to be like the NFL where you can be cut, but they should be allowed to restructure contracts. You know a career Ranger like Kreider would help out, maybe Trouba, especially if they want to stay long term.

Or what all sports should adopt is a flexible cap where signing your own draft picks cost less than signing FAs. I have never been a believer in penalizing teams for drafting well.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'd rather stop giving Panarin half-ass linemates though during his prime. Yes, he makes players better around him but he deserves linemates who are actually good. If Copp will accept 5M, i take him. Strome is gone anyway.
When Panarin makes as much money as he does, we kind of have no other choice. A lot of people want another elite C to slot behind Zib, but the roster construction doesn’t allow it with the cap even if one were available.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Is anyone here named Robert Hanley? He submitted an excellent, excellent question(as the Iron Sheik says)regarding the Rangers cap situation next season and the next few seasons to the New York Sports hockey podcast. The Rangers have nearly $50M committed to their top 6 players. The Rangers have $3.4M in cap space tied up in buyout money. They have $3.64M in Goodrow. $3M in Lindgren. $2.3M in Chytil. That leaves $20M. Lafreniere, Miller and Schneider at $925,000 each. Reaves at $1.75M. The terrible Nemeth contract. $2.5M.

Larry Brooks brought up Vitali Kravtsov possibly finding his way back here/if he finds his way back because the Rangers will need his production at a cheap price. Larry said Vitali is still on his ELC. His ELC expires this season. His agent Dan Milstein has indicated the player is willing to sign a cheap 2nd contract slightly above his QO of $832,500. He brought up Othmann and/or Cuylle having to become contributors in 23-24.

Excellent question. Very good answer. Ron Duguay follows it up by asking if Brooks ever considered becoming part of management and running a team.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
When Panarin makes as much money as he does, we kind of have no other choice. A lot of people want another elite C to slot behind Zib, but the roster construction doesn’t allow it with the cap even if one were available.
We don't need another elite C. We need good players. Players like HUNT are not that. Strome is absolutely a product of Bread and he doesn't bring anything else to the table like faceoff abilities, defense, physicality etc.

If Copp played a full season with Panarin he would also hit 59 points like Strome, but bring a lot more than Strome doesn't bring.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Is anyone here named Robert Hanley? He submitted an excellent, excellent question(as the Iron Sheik says)regarding the Rangers cap situation next season and the next few seasons to the New York Sports hockey podcast. The Rangers have nearly $50M committed to their top 6 players. The Rangers have $3.4M in cap space tied up in buyout money. They have $3.64M in Goodrow. $3M in Lindgren. $2.3M in Chytil. That leaves $20M. Lafreniere, Miller and Schneider at $925,000 each. Reaves at $1.75M. The terrible Nemeth contract. $2.5M.

Larry Brooks brought up Vitali Kravtsov possibly finding his way back here/if he finds his way back because the Rangers will need his production at a cheap price. Larry said Vitali is still on his ELC. His ELC expires this season. His agent Dan Milstein has indicated the player is willing to sign a cheap 2nd contract slightly above his QO of $832,500. He brought up Othmann and/or Cuylle having to become contributors in 23-24.

Excellent question. Very good answer. Ron Duguay follows it up by asking if Brooks ever considered becoming part of management and running a team.

Guess he reads my posts. Thankfully not others who want to trade him for peanuts becuase they were so offended he didn't want to play in that dump HFD.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
We don't need another elite C. We need good players. Players like HUNT are not that. Strome is absolutely a product of Bread and he doesn't bring anything else to the table like faceoff abilities, defense, physicality etc.

If Copp played a full season with Panarin he would also hit 59 points like Strome, but bring a lot more than Strome doesn't bring.
Completely agree. But as someone else mentioned, even $5M for Copp might be unaffordable. We may be forced to find a $3M or less player with some decent offensive attributes (aka, not Hunt) to play on that line.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Completely agree. But as someone else mentioned, even $5M for Copp might be unaffordable. We may be forced to find a $3M or less player with some decent offensive attributes (aka, not Hunt) to play on that line.
I think, depending on how things go through the playoffs, your <3m player is Vatrano. He won’t play on that line. Panarin gets Chytil and Kakko. But then that puts Lafreniere in a bad position.

Reactions: Synergy27

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I wish the NHL allowed for restructuring of contracts. Doesn't have to be like the NFL where you can be cut, but they should be allowed to restructure contracts. You know a career Ranger like Kreider would help out, maybe Trouba, especially if they want to stay long term.

Or what all sports should adopt is a flexible cap where signing your own draft picks cost less than signing FAs. I have never been a believer in penalizing teams for drafting well.
I always thought they should just have the actual money paid that year as cap hit. This way u can structure deals around the peaks and valleys of other contracts.

Bonuses met would tack on to the following season as dead cap space.

I hate the AAV.

Edit: this would also give more movement to the trade deadline as well as stopping possible bs moves like trading for retired injured players for dead cap space since their actual contract values might be very low at the end.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I wish we had another game against Colorado. I want to see how we stack up.
In a way I agree, same with Calgary who manhandled us twice. However, it's also nice to have the element of surprise if we do end up facing them and they'll overestimate us due to past success against our old crew.

The Pitt PBP crew were talking about our team in the beginning of the second game and they quoted one of the Pitt players as saying the Rangers fly the zone quick, are a good transition team because of it (we cheat on D), and don't like to dump and chase. Aka we're high flying and lazy and don't like to do the hard work in the corners lol, We actually have been doing great at forecheck pressure since the TDL with our new players who add lots of speed and smart stickwork, and I'm sure teams are not prepared for it. Like Coaches with their own players, other teams tend to get an idea of the opposition players and style and won't budge off of it....

Reactions: ArPanet

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I doubt he plays in the NHL this soon but having his ELC kick in immediately might happen anyway to get it over the line, like with Scanlin
I think in general the early ELC activation is something that teams care less and less about. Don’t think it’s much of a factor anymore. That being said, there certainly isn’t room for Trivigno on the NHL roster with a healthy Kakko and Rooney either.

Still not sure I think it’s a great idea to use a contract on Trivigno, especially until the Rangers know they are out on Meyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad