Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
There was zero chance they would have been able to get him at 8.

He and his agent would have told us to F off.
I doubt that.

The timing was off. Once Jones, Makar and Nurse etc got their deals... it was set.

If we were ahead of it, we could have gotten a better deal. Even 8.5... It also doesn't help he's placed his worst hockey as a Ranger, post-deal.

Good thing Mika and Kreider are great values.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I doubt that.

The timing was off. Once Jones, Makar and Nurse etc got their deals... it was set.

If we were ahead of it, we could have gotten a better deal. Even 8.5... It also doesn't help he's placed his worst hockey as a Ranger, post-deal.

I think whatever that would-be Olympic break injury is still lingering. I think Fox is hurt.

His partner has also come back down to earth.

ragfan11

Feb 24, 2020
Unfortunately, guys paid as much as they are like Fox, Panarin and Trouba specifically almost HAVE to play at or near career bests to even come close to justifying their contracts. Trouba's having about as good of a year as anyone could have dreamed of and he's still massively overpaid relative to the market. But that's the literal price you pay for having to pay UFA prices for cornerstone pieces.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I doubt that.

And Fox and his agent weren't going to sign until Makar did. They'd be stupid to go first. Two parties to every negotiation.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
The media types are downplaying Copp for some reason; he’s absolutely a good 2C on this team
No he isn’t. At best he replaces Strome but there’s a reason that even when the Jets had a massive hole at 2C they didn’t play Copp there. Jets fans have been saying even before Copp was traded that he’s a good 2LW or 3C. He is not a good fit for 2C. He can run with it for a bit but he’s definitely not a longer term (2-3 years out) option

Reactions: mas0764

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Ranger fans deserve nothing if you guys are bitching about Adam Fox and his deal lmao
If he is still in face injured, it might be a good idea to ease up on this stretch run unless it cannot get worse than it already is.

The last couple weeks could lead to an expanded role for Schneider and Braun to get them ice time.

He's also playing like he's worth $12.7M:

Screen-Shot-2022-03-29-at-11.20.58-AM.png

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Unfortunately, guys paid as much as they are like Fox, Panarin and Trouba specifically almost HAVE to play at or near career bests to even come close to justifying their contracts. Trouba's having about as good of a year as anyone could have dreamed of and he's still massively overpaid relative to the market. But that's the literal price you pay for having to pay UFA prices for cornerstone pieces.
Fox is at a PPG so he is still worth every penny of that contract even though his defense has been a little off. Trouba is only slightly overpaid relative to the market given his outstanding performance this year. There were some massive contracts paid to Dmen this off season. Darnell Nurse is making 9.5 million.

Reactions: Cag29

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Trouba and Nurse are similar players with near exact stats. You could almost argue Trouba is underpaid.

The reality is though that Nurse is overpaid.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
No he isn’t. At best he replaces Strome but there’s a reason that even when the Jets had a massive hole at 2C they didn’t play Copp there. Jets fans have been saying even before Copp was traded that he’s a good 2LW or 3C. He is not a good fit for 2C. He can run with it for a bit but he’s definitely not a longer term (2-3 years out) option
The Rangers never gave Miller an opportunity at center when he was here. The traded Stepan and they didn't give Miller the opportunity to take Stepan's spot. The Rangers gave Hayes the opportunity.

Calgary had Sam Bennett and they didn't know what to do with him. He played some center. He played some left wing. Eventually Calgary traded him to Florida and Bennett became Florida's #2 center behind Barkov. Bennett had 15 points in 10 games for Florida last season. He has scored 26 goals this season in 56 games. 18 goals was his highest goal output in one season in Calgary.

If you had asked the Rangers and Flames fans about their players, they would have said those players are better wingers than centers because of the way those teams used those players.

Many of these teams don't like playing young players at center. They put them on the wing. There is more defensive responsibility at center. They don't trust them.

The Rangers don't need another #1 type center.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Dunkin needs to find a way to integrate Fox's chin into their marketing strategy.

Like have him balance a coffee on it or something

No brainer really, slam dunk success

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue94

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
we should have signed him for less.

I'm not saying 9.5M isn't a good deal but he could have easily signed him for $8M imo. The plethora of defensemen deals, right before his signing, did us no favors.

He wasn't going anywhere. He's a Ranger. He wants to be a Ranger. It is what it is

Darnell Nurse signed for 8x9.25M and you think Fox, he of Norris note, would've taken 10M *LESS* over the course of his contract than Nurse did? This deal will look a lot better when the cap gets back to normal.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The Rangers never gave Miller an opportunity at center when he was here. The traded Stepan and they didn't give Miller the opportunity to take Stepan's spot. The Rangers gave Hayes the opportunity.

Calgary had Sam Bennett and they didn't know what to do with him. He played some center. He played some left wing. Eventually Calgary traded him to Florida and Bennett became Florida's #2 center behind Barkov. Bennett had 15 points in 10 games for Florida last season. He has scored 26 goals this season in 56 games. 18 goals was his highest goal output in one season in Calgary.

If you had asked the Rangers and Flames fans about their players, they would have said those players are better wingers than centers because of the way those teams used those players.

Many of these teams don't like playing young players at center. They put them on the wing. There is more defensive responsibility at center. They don't trust them.

The Rangers don't need another #1 type center.
Brayden Schenn is another player like that. Flyers didn't use him as a C all the time. In St. Louis, he gets 2C usage and wins a cup.

Elias Lindholm was another guy that bounced from wing to center.

A long time ago, Dubinsky was someone they fiddled with at center and wing. Turned into a pretty good C in Columbus.

Sometimes the fit just isn't there with the player. I'd love to see more of Copp down the middle with Panarin because it has yielded dividends so far.

He just might be the right fit.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
It’s been known that whatever 2C the team signed would have some warts. They can’t afford another Zibanejad. Copp just so happens to check the boxes that needed to be checked. He’s not perfect but he fits the needs of the team now and in the future
I think hes pretty perfect. Only concern is injury history. I'd roll the dice on that over watching Strome for another 5 years

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Bruins sign Marc McLaughlin and scores his 1st NHL goal during a playoff race late in the season. If the Rangers sign Bobby Trivingo, just put him in the lineup, can;t be any worse than Hunt or McKegg

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Anything would be better than those Pasta Dunkin commercials. Can’t even understand wtf he’s saying. And he’s never always in the box to get his “special”. They should have done Marchand and everyone would have laughed at it.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
And Fox and his agent weren't going to sign until Makar did. They'd be stupid to go first. Two parties to every negotiation.
Yeah I'm not arguing he doesn't deserve it or that his agent is greedy.

I'm arguing, he wants to be a Ranger and there's a flat hard cap. Could have been a bit more favorable to the place he wants to be and hopefully win.

but I get it. why him? and no one else. Kreids and Mika are favorable though

Reactions: mas0764

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
In case anyone cares, nhl.com just put us in their power rankings top 5:

From the article:

The Rangers have won four straight games against Eastern teams in a playoff spot, defeating the Pittsburgh Penguins twice, the Hurricanes and Lightning. They are 10-2-0 against the other seven potential playoff teams from the East since Dec. 31 and 13-5-0 overall.

There’s someone on this forum who loudly insists the Rangers can’t beat good teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad