Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
All that rebuilding and we basically have one line of forwards for the future. Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko.

Defense stocked top to bottom.

Forwards depth dry as a bone.

WTF are you talking about? The forward group is fine, and most will be here for a while. Strome, may be gone after this year and Reaves after his contract ends in 2 years, and only guy over 30 is Reaves. They have Barron who is almost ready, and guys like Berard, Cuylle, Vierling, and Othmann who are 2-3 years away plus whoever they get for Kravs.

Laf-Mika-Kreider
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Blais-Chytil-Goodrow
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

Reactions: duhmetreE

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So all of a sudden we’ve concluded that Chytil isn’t actually one of the premier 5v5 players in the league based on his top 30ish pts/60 from last year? Surprising.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I HATE that play they do on the power play, where they go around the horn from left to right and eventually it ends up on Strome’s stick in stride and he takes a slapper. It’s such a low % play.
But if you're going to go with the same personel as last year why change their positions around? If the players worked well together keep them where they were successful, and if you want to change the look than also change the personel

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
So all of a sudden we’ve concluded that Chytil isn’t actually one of the premier 5v5 players in the league based on his top 30ish pts/60 from last year? Surprising.

Details and facts. Bah. He's been here for more than two years and he isn't McDavid yet. The board has declared him boring, and wishes to elevate Barron to savior of the month.

Seriously, though, at no point, in the entire time he's been here, has Chytil had an extended run with consistent linemates who weren't 4th liners or AHL players. Some of you see "low hockey IQ"---I see a player who needs to act rather than over-think things. He's too tentative because the whole time he's been here, one mistake has meant being banished to 4th line minutes.

We never should have developed him in the NHL. He should have been a staple on the top line in Hartford until at least last year. He needs an extended run with players he won't defer to and get a chance to get on a roll. I'd put him with Laf and either Kakko or Blais, and roll with it for ~20 games.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This is why, with a grain of salt, I keep circling back to Pierre Luc Dubois as a Strome replacement lately.

PLD is strong in the paint, carries the puck well, is above average at the dot, plays all 3 zones when motivated, and has previous chemistry with Panarin. With the leadership in the room and Gallants method, I think PLD can be "motivated" here to be a better player and provide hsi potential in a more consistent basis for NYR.

I'm fully aware of his millennial temperament too, but at least he has a brief history to go on in hopes he can bring something to the table. If Kravtsov interests Winnipeg at all, I think he is worth exploring. Not my first choice (Larkin is) but he is a clear upgrade over Strome in more than one facet and isn't exactly gelling in The Peg so he could shake loose as available again.

he would have been a great get. He also has solid chemistry with Panarin as you said, and not a huge contract.
But with what the jets have gone thru in the last 3-4 years trying to find a solid long term 2C to play behind schiefle, there’s probably a less then 2% chance they even make him available.
Traded 1st for Hayes, Acquired Stastney twice, dealt with all of Littles warts, Rosolovic not progressing for them, etc
They believe not having a guy like PLD cost them dearly in the playoffs a few times.
I think he’s just as unavailable as Larkin/Lindholm at this point.
Guys that interest me are Thomas in STL and Texier ( who may be available coincidently)
Both young and cheap and have their pros and cons.
I’d love ROR too, but not paying him a high dollar multi year deal at 30 with what we just gave Zibby.
I think resigning Strome is a massive mistake. Yes he has chemistry with Panarin. But I’d rather sacrifice a 10-15 of Panarins point totals for a better overall 2nd line whose harder to play against

Last edited:

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I've personally seen enough of Gauthier to know he's a decent AHL player and an ineffective NHL player. Its what he is, it sucks because he has all the attributes but can't put it together. I also realize that they may not want to burn a year of Barrons contract but if thats not a concern there is no reason to keep Gauthier instead of Barron.
You’re talking about a team that still has Libor Hajek on it

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
But if you're going to go with the same personel as last year why change their positions around? If the players worked well together keep them where they were successful, and if you want to change the look than also change the personel
The power play this year has been shit so far. Everyone is stationary and there’s not enough rotation. It’s easy to pk when you don’t have to spend energy skating all over. I think they need to prop up a lefty on the right wall.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Our division is ridiculous.

The Metro division has only 4 regulation losses in 34 games played against other divisions this season. (23-4-7)

Goal differentials:

Metro +36
Atlantic -10
Central -23
Pacific -4

Teams .500 or above:

Metro: 8/8
Atlantic: 5/8
Central: 4/8
Pacific: 4/8

There are a few decent teams in the Metro, but I think that we are heads and shoulders above the others. But sure, the competition among the other organizations to be the best of the rest may be stiff.
40EC1BDF-82FD-405A-994D-D6BF2E6C495C.jpeg

:sarcasm:

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
he would have been a great get. He also has solid chemistry with Panarin as you said, and not a huge contract.
But with what the jets have gone thru in the last 3-4 years trying to find a solid long term 2C to play behind schiefle, there’s probably a less then 2% chance they even make him available.
Traded 1st for Hayes, Acquired Stastney twice, dealt with all of Littles warts, Rosolovic not progressing for them, etc
They believe not having a guy like PLD cost them dearly in the playoffs a few times.
I think he’s just as unavailable as Larkin/Lindholm at this point.
Guys that interest me are Thomas in STL and Texier ( who may be available coincidently)
Both young and cheap and have their pros and cons.
I’d love ROR too, but not paying him a high dollar multi year deal at 30 with what we just gave Zibby.
I think resigning Strome is a massive mistake. Yes he has chemistry with Panarin. But I’d rather sacrifice a 10-15 of Panarins point totals for a better overall 2nd line whose harder to play against

100% agree. After I wrote my last post I went to the Peg boards and I guess PLD is doing very well so far this season and the fans are skeptical (rightly so) but happy with his numbers and effort so far. I was going off last seasons eye test on my assumption he may become available at some point if they didn't want to extend him.

Strome on the other hand, not a terrible player by far, just not someone within my belief system of how the game is played within constructs of an entire team is a player you are winning with in such an important role. If they could find a bonefied 2c and wanted to keep Strome at a reasonable rate/term as a RW role player for Panarin then I could understand the reasoning in that type of move.

Reactions: jay from jersey

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Watch us ice this in a few months...

LAF - Zibs - Kakko
Panarin - Strome - Kessel
Kreider - Chytil - Blais
Crouse - Goodrow - Reaves
Hunt Rooney

...and pick up a VET #6 RHD (stay at home)
At this point the only think Kessel does better then goodrow/Blais is shoot the puck.
Age and Hagen Dazs have taken away any speed he had left in the tank

Reactions: duhmetreE

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
100% agree. After I wrote my last post I went to the Peg boards and I guess PLD is doing very well so far this season and the fans are skeptical (rightly so) but happy with his numbers and effort so far. I was going off last seasons eye test on my assumption he may become available at some point if they didn't want to extend him.

Strome on the other hand, not a terrible player by far, just not someone within my belief system of how the game is played within constructs of an entire team is a player you are winning with in such an important role. If they could find a bonefied 2c and wanted to keep Strome at a reasonable rate/term as a RW role player for Panarin then I could understand the reasoning in that type of move.

yea unfortunately he’s a guy I think we really missed the boat on to put a nice package of prospects/young players for.
But in our defense, we had no idea who would thrive/need more time. Plus Laine was a last ditch effort to keep Werenski/Jones happy and keep the jackets competitive.
Jones is gone, they paid Werenski a ton, and Laine can’t wait to fly the coup despite what is said publicly.
We’re going to have to get extremely lucky to find a young 2C capable of putting up around 55-65 points.
It’s pretty much the hardest after 1C and 1D, which are barely if ever traded away.
Kotkaniemi was another on. Had a good playoff, big young kid, only cost a 1st+3rd.
But the argument could have been made that chytil is as good or better currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: White Death 24

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The power play this year has been shit so far. Everyone is stationary and there’s not enough rotation. It’s easy to pk when you don’t have to spend energy skating all over. I think they need to prop up a lefty on the right wall.
I think everyone thinks that ha

My comment was if you're going to use the same 5 guys on pp1 as last year than at least use them in the same way.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gallant compared Chytil to Lars Eller. Gallant was an assistant coach with Montreal with Eller. He was a valuable player/3rd line center on the Capitals when they won the Cup in 2018. Eller was a former first round by the Blues in 2007. Maybe Chytil won't be the answer for the Rangers 2nd line center issues. The Rangers need to fill that role but money is very tight.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Gallant compared Chytil to Lars Eller. Gallant was an assistant coach with Montreal with Eller. He was a valuable player/3rd line center on the Capitals when they won the Cup in 2018. Eller was a former first round by the Blues in 2007. Maybe Chytil won't be the answer for the Rangers 2nd line center issues. The Rangers need to fill that role but money is very tight.
That's actually a really good comp.

The 2C will need to be in house or a prospect. It could be someone like Barron or Goodrow.

That's why I also like Kravtsov+ for Hayton

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Strome deserves more respect than he gets, our offense looks a lot less dynamic without him
The bigger issue is Mika not finishing and Panarin looking drunk

Strome is a solid player for us. I always thought he was (and he's an under rated shooter as well imo)... I was defending him when he everyone and their mother wanted to get rid of him... but we need 'attacking' mindsets ( plus we can't afford him) We've become way too passive and in search of the perfect opportunity for the perfect play.

I have no clue who is replacing him. I have major doubts with Chytil.. I've all but dismissed him.. The next trade by Drury needs to be for that long term 2C.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You may want to hold off sending Strome out of town. I could see a scenario where he stays. Let’s see how this year goes .
I just dont see the available cap space.. Even if he takes a RNH type deal.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Everyone allowed to get off to a rough start except Chytil. I hope they stick with Goodrow on that second line so it pushes some more talent down the third line for Chytil to work with and give us another scoring line possibly. Blais - Chytil - Kakko? Chytil is always in deep playing defense and Kakko is good there too so it should be a pretty safe line as well. Replace Blais with Goodrow late in games if you need to hold on to a lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad