Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Was browsing through free agent RHD on CapFriendly... what do we think about Pateryn on a short term deal? Only had an AAV of $800k last year, 27, and played big minutes for stretches.
As a 6/7 D he’s fine. Would much rather have ADA play instead of Pateryn

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
As a 6/7 D he’s fine. Would much rather have ADA play instead of Pateryn

The Rangers have 7 right D (not right-handed D) in the organization.

Shattenkirk
Pionk
DeAngelo
Kampfer
Smith
Bigras
Zborovskiy

There really is no point in signing another one.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Shattenkirk
Pionk
DeAngelo
Kampfer
Smith
Bigras
Zborovskiy

that isn't an impressive list. quantity isn't quality....i have no interest in signing a place holder because pionk and deangelo should get to play and show what they have. but we aren't exactly stacked there

Reactions: TheTakedown

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
that isn't an impressive list. quantity isn't quality....i have no interest in signing a place holder because pionk and deangelo should get to play and show what they have. but we aren't exactly stacked there

We aren't looking for it to be an impressive list.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So what's the consensus post mortem on the trade deadline now that our former players are all out? Obviously getting that additional first would have been awesome, but I think overall we have to feel great about the TDL.

Tampa fans are talking about having no interest in paying McD and Miller.

Grabner was an epic flop for NJD.

Nash was up and down for Boston, not sure how B's fans feel about him in general.

The haul we ended up getting back looks pretty great to me given how these players worked out for the other teams. Agree?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yes, more or less I feel good about the past TDL. McDonagh still has one more year with the Bolts, and that conditional 2nd can still turn into a 1st. So we'll see about that.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Nah I actually liked JT.

It was clear as day that he mailed it in.

Yeah I agree. I've always been a Miller backer but I've never seen a guy just straight up give up on playing the way Miller did after the Rangers announced their rebuild. He played like he didn't want to be here.

Guys like Buch and Namestnikov played like they had no confidence and were lost rather than just giving up

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
He played much tougher minutes last year and broke about even in production.

One of the few guys who stepped up and produced post letter. That speaks volumes considering some people just flat out quit (Miller) or wilted (Zucc).

I’d give him 5x5 and not think about it twice
:thumbu::thumbu:

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
https://nypost.com/2018/05/24/david-quinn-will-instill-in-rangers-what-their-old-coach-let-slip/
Quinn referred to accountability. So did Shattenkirk and Hayes. At breakup day, Shattenkirk said there hadn’t been nearly enough peer pressure applied throughout the season and talked about how the dynamic between younger and older players was in need of a reset, with younger guys having to understand that holding veterans accountable was part of the job. Hayes seconded the notion on Thursday.
“He holds everyone accountable,” Hayes said of Quinn. “And we need to hold each other accountable, and that means the younger guys holding the older guys accountable, as well. It shouldn’t be just the seven or eight oldest guys doing that. Everyone’s here to win the same thing.”
This is what I was feeling earlier when guys mention a Nash reunion. Peer pressure, accountability. The dynamic needs a reset.

Move forward, new culture.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I reckon Buch mailed it in as much as JT.

Completely disagree.

He got concussed, then jerked around the lineup by our former moron of a coach. As someone said it was a confidence thing more than anything.

Ditto Namesinkov. Zucc played like someone whose feelings were hurt that he was a part of trade talks.

Miller just flat out quit.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
what about Buchnevich and Namestnikov?

Buch because AV legitimately did not like him as a player, and from what I was reading, seemed like he had something against him as a person.

Namestnikov because he went from the best team in the league to one of the worst teams in the league. Rest assured, if Hank doesn't play like he did from November thru February, the rangers would have been a bottom 5 team without a doubt.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Shattenkirk
Pionk
DeAngelo
Kampfer
Smith
Bigras
Zborovskiy

Massive dislike here.... 1 of those is a proven NHL commodity, one just came off one of his worst years ever, and the rest are too young to judge given how bad our team was

Reactions: Shattenhurts

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Completely disagree.

He got concussed, then jerked around the lineup by our former moron of a coach. As someone said it was a confidence thing more than anything.

Ditto Namesinkov. Zucc played like someone whose feelings were hurt that he was a part of trade talks.

Miller just flat out quit.
Buch said this himself as well which led to him being a bit shy/hesistant with the puck on his stick. Remember those crazy plays in the beginning of the year? That’s when he has confidence and wasn’t being jerked around, he looked scared not like he was mailing it in. Every prospect is different and we have to be patient with them and accommodate to their needs (in this case, Buch’s need is confidence) to truly develop them. Give him consistent minutes and a longer leash and he becomes a 20/40 guy. No doubts on that

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
https://nypost.com/2018/05/24/david-quinn-will-instill-in-rangers-what-their-old-coach-let-slip/

This is what I was feeling earlier when guys mention a Nash reunion. Peer pressure, accountability. The dynamic needs a reset.

This was the frustrating thing about AV's kind of hands off let the players do the leading thing. Sometimes the coach needs to be the one leading and AV wasn't doing enough of that and let the team get complacent.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Massive dislike here.... 1 of those is a proven NHL commodity, one just came off one of his worst years ever, and the rest are too young to judge given how bad our team was

None of that has anything to do with the point of my post, which is that there’s zero need for this team to bring in depth RD in the current mode of the organization. If you want to top grade, by all means. Pateryn doesn’t represent an improvement to the roster.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Shattenkirk
Pionk
DeAngelo
Kampfer
Smith
Bigras
Zborovskiy

This may be the list we have to deal with for this season but it is incumbent on management to use 1 or 2 draft picks on an RHD with upside. That could be one of the jewels in the draft or perhaps one of the other 3-4 RHD being talked as potential first round choices. There’s enough to pick from this year. This group has got to be strengthened.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

The Rangers had a strong leadership group. The vets pushed the kids. But who pushed the vets? AV wasn't enough hands on. But in what sense did the vets need pushing? The core group, McD, Hank, Kreider and co certainly seems like they took as good care of themselves as possible. Kreider has no off-season. Hank is a jet-set type, but right after the season he travels back to Sweden and stay in a summer house in the archipelago outside Gothenburg with his bro and they are a group that starts working out right away. Hank has already started skating. Girardi.

Rick Nash never joined the rest skating, was he in perfect shape? I doubt it. I would be surprised if Nash came back. I don't think we really liked him. It really makes me sick when someone like him shows up in great shape when he has a contract year letting everyone know how he intends to have a great year. I think he contributed quit much to us on the ice, and was a solid guy off it, its not that -- but its hard to feel that he couldn't have done more. He had his issues with the concussions too. Recon that complicated things too.

Marc Staal is another one like Rick Nash. I've followed Staal very closely since his draft year. I am sure there are no bigger issues with him, but he hasn't been good enough either. My -- very -- big issue with Staal is just his overall development and urgency to lead the team, or lack there off. Its just not OK for Marc Staal to have scored 2/2/3/5/2/3/1 goals his last 7 years.

Marc Staal has a very ineffective shot and he isn't good at all at getting it off either. He is a 6'4 210 lbs Canadian kid. He has absolutely zero excuses for having a worthless shot, and it is -- only -- explained by lack of training. He should have been able to more or less add a '1' in front of those goal totals.

We need perfection. You often remind prospects trying to get into the NHL that they need to be aware of how many kids that are out there competing for the same thing. They have to be aware of how their always are a bunch of kids who will do everything possible day and night to get into the league, and that it is those kids that will set the bar for what it will take.

I definitely think there is room for improvements on the vet side of things among the Rangers too. I think the group of vets we had came in as kids mostly and then raised the bar so much, making them too complacent as the rest of the league kept pushing things.

Reality isn't easy. Concussions and bad injuries are scary. One coach wants something, another coach comes in and want something else. This group took a tremendous amount of beating playing that zero mistake collapse low defense under Torts. Maybe there are good excuses for why things turned out like they did. But if we look at how the game looks today -- we need to add more to what is requested from everyone. We must require guys to perfect their game in all areas, not just show up in shape and be prepared to put your body on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad