Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Its great for this team to finally get a chance to draft probably 7 really decent looking prospects in this draft and hopefully more in the 2019 draft but I think we have to maintain some semblance of keeping some core players here to guide them. Not just getting rid every single player in their mid 20's that has contracts coming up.

Reactions: nyr2k2

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
He is getting expensive, his production is not increasing, he is not very fast, he is not physical and doesn't use his big body much. That said I think we can hold on to him for now and see how he does under the new coach. If not much improvement then move him at the trade deadline and call up Howden.
Huh improvement? did you watch him this year?

Reactions: nyr2k2

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think there’s a valid reason to be wary about bringing Grabner back. It’s not just a speed system he thrives in, because the Devils liked playing with speed this year and he was terrible there. He thrived in AV’s speed system because AV’s system was solely focused on transitional speed, Grabner’s a great transition player, but he’s a terrible forechecker. At this point I’d probably fall on the side of not signing him because of all of that and because I’m not thrilled about paying him more than like 1.75ish

Reactions: Monument and jas

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Huh improvement? did you watch him this year?

yep, while he improved defensively or on PK, his point production decreased, his assist production was his lowest, he again put up only 40 hits, he did improve on faceoffs a lot. Either he has to be a 40 point guy who throws 200+ hits or a 65 point guy that throws 40 or less hits. Right now he is a 40 point oversized softie that throws 40 hits.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
yep, while he improved defensively or on PK, his point production decreased, his assist production was his lowest, he again put up only 40 hits, he did improve on faceoffs a lot. Either he has to be a 40 point guy who throws 200+ hits or a 65 point guy that throws 40 or less hits. Right now he is a 40 point oversized softie that throws 40 hits.

He played much tougher minutes last year and broke about even in production.

One of the few guys who stepped up and produced post letter. That speaks volumes considering some people just flat out quit (Miller) or wilted (Zucc).

I’d give him 5x5 and not think about it twice

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Zero chance (i do mean zero) Hayes gets traded.

The team JUST had a season where they were forced to play decrepit Desharnais because of lack of C depth. They're not doing that again.

He'll also get a lower contract than he should because he's been confined to the 3rd line with very little PP time his entire career. He'd have hit 55 points with a more conventional deployment.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

One of the few guys who stepped up and produced post letter. That speaks volumes considering some people just flat out quit (Miller) or wilted (Zucc).

I'd go 6. We need to keep these guys through their primes. Let that contract end when he hits 32

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Zero chance (i do mean zero) Hayes gets traded.

The team JUST had a season where they were forced to play decrepit Desharnais because of lack of C depth. They're not doing that again.

He'll also get a lower contract than he should because he's been confined to the 3rd line with very little PP time his entire career. He'd have hit 55 points with a more conventional deployment.
Zibanejad
Hayes
Namestnikov
Spooner
Chytil
Andersson
Howden

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

post letter? You mean after trade deadline? So Hayes stepped up because he was a RFA at the end of the season to get himself a bigger payday when the games did not matter or rather when we were to benefit more from tanking? Thanks a lot Kevin. Maybe we would have been in playoff position if Hayes' production increased instead of dropping. Miller was traded how did he quit? Zucc was playing with some injuries.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
post letter? You mean after trade deadline? So Hayes stepped up because he was a RFA at the end of the season to get himself a bigger payday when the games did not matter or rather when we were to benefit more from tanking? Thanks a lot Kevin. Maybe we would have been in playoff position if Hayes' production increased instead of dropping. Miller was traded how did he quit? Zucc was playing with some injuries.

Or he produced more because he got more ice time? In particular PP time.

Miller was traded because he flat out quit. Zucc didn’t go under the knife so what ever he was playing through, it wasn’t that bad.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Zibanejad
Hayes
Namestnikov
Spooner
Chytil
Andersson
Howden
Hot and Cold but sure
Keep
Better winger, not a lot of offense
Better winger, not particularly good, atrocious on FOs
Very young/HFD
Very young/HFD
Very young/HFD

You forgot Nieves who should play the 4th, but you want 6 NHL calibre guys who can at least fill in on C. Only two in that last could realistically be called "top-6" Cs. One of em is Hayes.

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Or he produced more because he got more ice time? In particular PP time.

Miller was traded because he flat out quit. Zucc didn’t go under the knife so what ever he was playing through, it wasn’t that bad.

when did Miller flat out quit? He had 40 points in 63 games averaging 16:40 a game, while Hayes had 44 points in 76 games averaging 17:21 a game. Hayes 40 hits, Miller 83 hits

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Miller just absolutely loafs at times. It's annoying to watch. I like him, but he's just one of those guys where he either looks great or is completely invisible. Even during the playoffs and last night I just thought his game was terrible at times. I don't understand how someone so talented can take so many shifts off.

Then again, I watched Kovalev for so many years, so I guess I shouldn't be shocked.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Was browsing through free agent RHD on CapFriendly... what do we think about Pateryn on a short term deal? Only had an AAV of $800k last year, 27, and played big minutes for stretches.

nice, but we are not guaranteed to get him, probably 25 other teams want him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad