Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I mean, I’m not eager to move Hayes — I just think that’s the only way we could get him. I don’t think Carolina would even consider Spooner+, personally.
Depends on the +

Basically, we just need to find our Nate Schmidt. A guy that like 5% of hockey already knows is good, but the other 95% will be shocked at how good he is when he finally plays more than 15 mins a night.

Reactions: TheTakedown

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Rangers traded their captain, a 1st and a conditional 1st/2nd for a 5'8" guy with just over one year left, so I don't think those factors play quite like you think they do.

Huge difference between doing it at the deadline because you think you're shipping the Cup, and doing it at the draft so you can maybe be a 6 seed and if it all works out make the 2nd round.
Everyone thought the Rangers hugely overpaid too.

Reactions: bl02

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Keep Zucc (idk why everyones so convinced a 5'9 guy with 1 year left is getting the 13th pick or whatever. still a 1st liner)

I sound like a broken record with this but Erat returned Filip Forsberg under similar circumstances.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I like Hayes after this past year to be honest...I like that he decided to shoot the puck more and be more aggressive and that turned into 25 goals, despite missing time.

I think whether he stays with the team longer term is going to depend on what his next contract looks like but to be honest I see him as a guy who could play a very important role on a winning team.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm not concerned about Nash and Grabner blocking anyone.

I am just ready to move on, form a new identity and see who emerges as the next generation of leaders.

It's just time.

Mackenzie has mentioned a ton of times this past season that the Rangers are interested in bringing those guys back on short term low dollar deals.

I get the feeling they want Grabner back on this team, I don't have that feeling about Nash

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We need a RD that can eat tough minutes. Not because I think Shattenkirk can't do it, but because it's a waste of Shattenkirk to use him in that role. That's the biggest hole on this team. Possibly even the only true hole. Just call Carolina about Pesce and be done with it. Should've traded Miller for Manson two years ago.

But then again, if we're not trying to compete, just throw Pionk there like we did last year and see what happens.

I don't think what we saw from Pionk was a fluke. I think he's the real deal who can take those top pairing minutes

On that note, I think DeAngelo becomes something close to what Shattenkirk is today... It'll take some time, but he's also only 22 years old.

Skjei is only 23, needs a contract. Lock him up

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Grabner with his effort and skating ability can always play on my team. I don't think he is gonna command huge money or term. I know it may be unlikely but if the term was 2-3 years why not? Guy stays in tremendous shape. If I had to choose between him or Vanek no contest

This is how i feel as well. I feel as though Grabner's success here was not just because of AV' system, but also because of his level of comfort in this environment.

Would absolutely take him back.

Nash can f*** off though

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mackenzie has mentioned a ton of times this past season that the Rangers are interested in bringing those guys back on short term low dollar deals.

I get the feeling they want Grabner back on this team, I don't have that feeling about Nash
I was 50/50 on Grabner. I needed to see what kind of coach we brought in and what kind of system he'd play before committing to Grabner. Like if we played some sort of slow, slogging, carefully carry the puck through the zone then chip and chase, I wouldn't be interested. But we're not doing that with Quinn. Grabner could be a system fit. Still, I worry about what Grabner will command. I think someone probably comes around and offers him a stupid deal. I mean he has scored 54 goals the last two years, combined, but still. Keep it reasonable with him.

Nash, I really think we should move on. He could be a useful player in a lesser role, but I really worry about his health. And honestly, it just "feels" over with him, IMO. I would pass on Nash unless he was like, "Hey, I'll sign $1.5M for a year!" (which clearly won't happen).

Reactions: Bozle

CaptBagel

May 2, 2018
Here's the question
How good will Hayes be 3-5 years from now and for how much will he be making?
I'd rather have Howden as our #2 Center 3-5 years from now
He'll be just as good, cheaper and still getting better
Yes there is no guarantee he will be as good or better, that's just my feelings on him
And in 3-5 years I think Chytil is our #1C and Anderson is our #3C
And if this is what the Rangers see as their future then signing Hayes now makes no sense
Trade him!
He blocks the path of our young Center men
He finished the year great
That's even more reason to trade him
He raised his value
I'd trade Hayes, Spoon and DeAngelo for Pesce
I'd then trade Zuc and Gilmore for a mid round first
Then option to trade up for Zadina or draft 4 solid players in the first round

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Here's the question
Yes there is no guarantee he will be as good or better, that's just my feelings on him
And if this is what the Rangers see as their future then signing Hayes now makes no sense
Trade him!
He raised his value

Pesce 144 hits in 216 games? big pass

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Seems like some people expect the team to go into the season with exactly 12 forwards capable of playing in the NHL. Not a single one more. If a few guys get injured, we'll just ice 3 lines.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How about Spooner or Namestnikov for 2nd and 3rd rounders in 2019 draft to ensure brighter future?
Maybe a high second. A second at the end of the round? Much more likely Spooner or Namestnikov give you better value, IMO.

I think we acquired these guys because we liked them, and that it will take a good offer to get them.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Here's the question

Trade him!
He raised his value

He will be 28/29 in three years. Barely old and if he gets a 4-5 year deal he will be around 31 when its done not 35 or 40.
We all want the best for Howden and for him to become a top 2 center iceman but so far from a guarantee right now.
Question is who are we getting for Hayes in a trade? Again he isn't untouchable but not selling him just cause we have deep young depth at center.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
funny thing is we have hired a college coach, but have not yet signed any college free agents so far, usually we sign a bunch by this time.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Hayes was our most improved forward last year. He gets beyond undervalued on main boards and I feel undervalued on here as well. I just don't get it. I'm not saying he's untouchable but guy scored 25 goals and had toughest matchups of any center on the team.
Agree. And seeing how he showed chemistry with Spooner is one reason why I’d rather move Names.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Seems like some people expect the team to go into the season with exactly 12 forwards capable of playing in the NHL. Not a single one more. If a few guys get injured, we'll just ice 3 lines.
It would make sense of we were doing a "burn it down" rebuild. But we're not. Some of the guys being discussed can absolutely be part of our future. And again, we're going to compete next year. I don't think Quinn would have left BU to be part of a continuing fire sale.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
He will be 28/29 in three years. Barely old and if he gets a 4-5 year deal he will be around 31 when its done not 35 or 40.
We all want the best for Howden and for him to become a top 2 center iceman but so far from a guarantee right now.
Question is who are we getting for Hayes in a trade? Again he isn't untouchable but not selling him just cause we have deep young depth at center.

He is getting expensive, his production is not increasing, he is not very fast, he is not physical and doesn't use his big body much. That said I think we can hold on to him for now and see how he does under the new coach. If not much improvement then move him at the trade deadline and call up Howden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->