Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Assume we don’t trade anyone else out

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Spooner Hayes Zuccarello
Namestnikov Chytil Fast
Vesey Andersson Lettieri

Now if we trade away Zuccarello and Spooner that’s two spots. Andersson moves up and Nieves as 4C. That’s now one spot for a free agent.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

Spooner Hayes Zuccarello
Namestnikov Chytil Fast
Vesey Andersson Lettieri

Now if we trade away Zuccarello and Spooner that’s two spots. Andersson moves up and Nieves as 4C. That’s now one spot for a free agent.

Kovalchuk and/or JVR

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Spooner Hayes Zuccarello
Namestnikov Chytil Fast
Vesey Andersson Lettieri

In this scenario, I'd have Andersson in Hartford playing top line minutes and Nieves manning 4C for the Rangers.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I would hope Chytil, Andersson were on the level of ADA/Pionk. I have no idea if Howden is there or not.
Yep, and I think Chytil and Andersson should definitely have spots available.

If they are trading Zucc, Spooner, Name and just replacing them with free agents it's not opening up any more spots.
Good, because I don't think there's anyone else that needs a spot.

The contracts that are designed to be movable, I'm not sure I see the motivation on the part of the specific players being mentioned to signing that sort of deal? Nash, Grabner, Kovalchuk are going to be taking 1 or 2 years without clauses?[
Kovalchuk, sure. You see Nash and Grabner commanding 3+ year deals or restrictive no trade clauses? If so, I'm ok with moving on to the next target.

Reactions: Ail

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
This conversation is odd because it sounds like the pool of players we are allowed to pick from is Nash, Grabner, Kovalchuk and our own forwards.

Something no one has mentioned is Matt Belesky. Chance to build value and be a trade deadline move. He didn't live up to his contract but essentially was a cap casualty. Maybe he sucks and gets buried with us but he could be our new project.

And just a "devil's advocate" point from a few pages back regarding logjams. JAM. Sometimes you don't know until they get a shot.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
This conversation is odd because it sounds like the pool of players we are allowed to pick from is Nash, Grabner, Kovalchuk and our own forwards.

Something no one has mentioned is Matt Belesky. Chance to build value and be a trade deadline move. He didn't live up to his contract but essentially was a cap casualty. Maybe he sucks and gets buried with us but he could be our new project.

And just a "devil's advocate" point from a few pages back regarding logjams. JAM. Sometimes you don't know until they get a shot.

That would be best case scenario, if he can bounce back and be effective 1.9 cap hit wouldn’t be impossible to move.

Reactions: Off Sides

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Yep, and I think Chytil and Andersson should definitely have spots available.

Good, because I don't think there's anyone else that needs a spot.

Kovalchuk, sure. You see Nash and Grabner commanding 3+ year deals or restrictive no trade clauses? If so, I'm ok with moving on to the next target.

Fair enough I guess, to me the UFA market this year looks pretty poor, I think with the rise in the cap teams are going to overpay for each of those players to the point it would not make sense for the Rangers to compete with those offers, whether it's because of term, cap hit, or clauses all of which could make those deals no longer movable.

I tend to agree with @Dijock94 that the Rangers are more likely to go (not what I'd do but what I think they will do)

Spooner Hayes Zuccarello
Namestnikov Chytil Fast
Vesey Andersson Lettieri

Except the last part and Lettieri, the trades, I am less sure the Rangers are going to be able to get back a value that makes much sense for Spooner since he is a pending RFA, although I do think it's possible Zucc could be moved, although I'm not certain they find the right value there either.

So at that point

Spooner Hayes
Namestnikov Chytil Fast
Vesey Andersson

Lettieri becomes McLeod (maybe not him but similar, toughness will be addressed)
Zucc becomes Kovalchuk/Nash (on a deal that is from the get go or becomes unmovable)
Lettieri/Holland/Neives are the 13th/14th/15th

So the net gain would just be whatever Zucc returned, if they can find the right value to make moving him worthwhile.

Which bring me back to what I think my original point was, that signing Kovalchuk (or Nash) in the first place did not make much sense when that roster had little hope of winning much of anything and they could have had a similar roster just by playing Lettieri/Holland/Neives instead. Should any of those surprise and become a NHL regular they would have gained more long term value by going that route.

Take that with grains of salt, that is what I believe could happen but it is dependent on the Rangers not finding the value out there for players they may be able to move.

Edit: Add Belesky to the Lettieri/Holland/Neives group as was pointed out above

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Spooner Hayes Zuccarello
Namestnikov Chytil Fast
Vesey Andersson Lettieri

those 2 Europeans we signed, I think at least one will make the team, maybe even both. Also I think Beleskey makes the team. Lettieri is by no means guaranteed a spot.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
We need a RD that can eat tough minutes. Not because I think Shattenkirk can't do it, but because it's a waste of Shattenkirk to use him in that role. That's the biggest hole on this team. Possibly even the only true hole. Just call Carolina about Pesce and be done with it. Should've traded Miller for Manson two years ago.

But then again, if we're not trying to compete, just throw Pionk there like we did last year and see what happens.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Grabner with his effort and skating ability can always play on my team. I don't think he is gonna command huge money or term. I know it may be unlikely but if the term was 2-3 years why not? Guy stays in tremendous shape. If I had to choose between him or Vanek no contest

Reactions: TheTakedown

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
We need a RD that can eat tough minutes. Not because I think Shattenkirk can't do it, but because it's a waste of Shattenkirk to use him in that role. That's the biggest hole on this team. Possibly even the only true hole. Just call Carolina about Pesce and be done with it. Should've traded Miller for Manson two years ago.

But then again, if we're not trying to compete, just throw Pionk there like we did last year and see what happens.
Hayes for Pesce is the new meme, nerd.

Reactions: jas

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Trade Spooner if at all possible
Keep Zucc (idk why everyones so convinced a 5'9 guy with 1 year left is getting the 13th pick or whatever. still a 1st liner)
Nieves on the 4th, only keep the best of Lias/Chytil/Howden on the roster, let the others crush the AHL
1 of Grabner/Nash on a good contract all day. Neither have anything they're actively weak at, good dudes, good defensively, whats the problem
Only sign Kovalchuk if you trade Zucc. You can't pay your 3rd line LW 5M+.
Next year is probably the year the D corps turns over

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The way our Rangers south team ended I say we did pretty good with our Trades
Mac ran out of gas again
JT strong start then disinterested and sloppy play

Agreed. JG did a good job overall (B plus/A minus). Lindgren, Spooner, 26th pick, Rykov, 48th pick, Hajek, Howden, Names, 30th pick, 2019 second round pick. For one trade deadline year that's a nice haul. Even if there isn't a Sergachev you have some very nice pieces and I would be Shocked if at least 3 of those pieces don't become big time contributors for this team in 2-3 years and beyond.

Reactions: cheech70

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Keep Zucc (idk why everyones so convinced a 5'9 guy with 1 year left is getting the 13th pick or whatever. still a 1st liner)
Rangers traded their captain, a 1st and a conditional 1st/2nd for a 5'8" guy with just over one year left, so I don't think those factors play quite like you think they do.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Trade Spooner if at all possible
Nieves on the 4th, only keep the best of Lias/Chytil/Howden on the roster, let the others crush the AHL
1 of Grabner/Nash on a good contract all day. Neither have anything they're actively weak at, good dudes, good defensively, whats the problem
Only sign Kovalchuk if you trade Zucc. You can't pay your 3rd line LW 5M+.
Next year is probably the year the D corps turns over

Pretty much right on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad