Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
but thing is, even if 2 of these players won't be on the team next year, their replacements will still likely have similar cap hits.

Possibly. It depends what we get back in trade and what prospects get promoted. There's a good chance that Zucc will be traded and at least one of Andersson/Chytil will make the team next year, so that's a net cap savings.

I think Gorton is going to be busy. Who knows what the team will look like when he's done.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Hayes has 1 RFA year left. Players who are 1 year away from being UFA don't get bridge deals. Bridge deals are generally short 2nd contracts where the players is still an RFA at the end. Hayes will get at least 3 years and more likely 4 or 5.

Your numbers for Spooner and Namestnikov are too low and your number for Gilmour is too high. Gilmour has yet to prove he's even an NHL player. His cap hit won't be over 1 mil, if it's even that much. Vesey will probably be closer to 2 mil based on his goal totals.

I'd also bet that at least 2 of these players won't be on the team next year.

Spooner is also one year away from group III. One year contract makes a prime 2019 trading deadline asset.

Reactions: Rongomania

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Um just no. NO. No to Shesty the future goalie. Do you not realize how hard it is to find a high quality goalie? Look at the position Buffalo is in right now. Philly. Arizona. Even Edmonton. We do not want to be them.

No to Chytil as he has the talent to be a top scorer in this league.

No to even Andersson.

Skjei and Mika I would be open to. Less so on Skjei because we would be empty on defense even more than we are now.

Not interested in moving Buch who has continued to get better and all the while under a coach who benched and limited him. Cant wait to see wht he does under a new coach.

I dont want to trade for Eichel

It isn't hard at all.

Buffalo, Edmonton, and Arizona have good goaltenders.

Reactions: RGY

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Thought experiment: is there a combo of 3 high-value Rangers assets that you wouldn't trade for Eichel?

I might not do Kreider-Mika-Skjei. I'd think about two of those guys + Buch. I'd do it for our three top prospects (Chytil-Andersson-Shesty), two of those guys + the pick if we lose the lottery, two of those guys + Mika etc
I’d do any 3 players easily. Buffalo likely chooses
Chytil, Skjei, Shesty? Chytil sort of replaces Eichel, Skjei helps their left side, Shesty is a potential elite G
Doubt Buffalo does it though and I don’t know why everyone’s talking about trading for him, I don’t think there’s any way he’s moved he just signed an extension recently. ROR is likely moved soon though, their C depth is good with Eichel, Mittelstadt, Reinhart (I think he plays RW now but I’m not sure)

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Not really a fan of trading multiple core pieces for Eichel. I know it's partially because he's been hurt, but the guy still hasn't scored 60 points and these deals are deals for players who have done that and a lot more.

EDIT: My bad, saw he put up 64 this year. Still, he's yet to put up "franchise 1C" numbers, and I sure as hell am not okay with playing the price that type of player would command when he has yet to show himself to be that type of player.

Reactions: pld459666

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Do you think he holds more value as a rental or a player signed on a 3-4 year deal? Legit question, I can’t decide

Two year arbitration award must be worth the most, or (or a settlement before the award on 2 years)? Are teams that afraid of term and contracts?

Don’t believe in negotiating a long term deal. You are buying UFA years, market value.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
mika, buch, spooner or names, tbl 1st, and bos 1st

Whaddya guys think about:

Hayes+Spoon+Chytil?

Hayes and Spoon showed obvious chemistry which all teams surely saw.

Again, ouch, but all day man, all day.

Imagine keeping Ziba, Kreider, Lias, Shesty AND our firsts?!

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Do you think he holds more value as a rental or a player signed on a 3-4 year deal? Legit question, I can’t decide
I would assume he holds more value in a deadline deal with a 1 year contract, it provides the team trading for him options cap wise (especially important for contenders up against the cap, obviously).

Especially with an up and down guy like Spooner; if they don’t want to make a commitment once they’ve had him for a bit, they don’t have to.

Reactions: Ola

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not really a fan of trading multiple core pieces for Eichel. I know it's partially because he's been hurt, but the guy still hasn't scored 60 points and these deals are deals for players who have done that and a lot more.

EDIT: My bad, saw he put up 64 this year. Still, he's yet to put up "franchise 1C" numbers, and I sure as hell am not okay with playing the price that type of player would command when he has yet to show himself to be that type of player.

He put up 64 points in 67 games playing on the lowest scoring team in the league. I don't think there's any question that, if healthy for a full year and playing on even a decent team, he'd put up 80+ points.

Reactions: RiffyNYR61

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Of the RFA's I'd be least inclined to move Hayes or Skjei--both have defined roles and are important parts of the core. Those are the two guys I live longer term contracts to. Hayes in the 4 year $5 million per range. Skjei I might give 5 or 6 years in the same $5 million range.

Namestnikov--2/3 years somewhere around $2.5--$2.8.
Vesey--would be around $1.5. He pretty much had a carbon copy season of his first year this year. He gets a raise but not a big one. He needs to show more.
O'Gara--I'd qualify him and try to get him signed for lower than that--maybe a 650K one way. That way he's guaranteed $650K whether in Hartford or New York and if he's in Hartford he won't be on our cap.
Gilmour--ditto as with O'Gara.
Spooner--I would try to move. He's a 26 year old player with 4 years in the NHL and had a $2.825 cap hit which was way too much for a guy who has never scored more than 13 goals in a season. I could live with maybe $2.5 but I'd like him lower--the main difference between him and Namestnikov is that Vlad could do more things for you than just show up on the scoresheet. IMO he's not worth more than that and he's going to want more.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

That’s pretty dumb to say (no offense)
Last year, Eichel had 57 in 61. Paced for 77 points
This year he had 64 in 67. Paced for 78 points
Look at the team he’s on and who he plays with, this kids a future 90+ point guy and is what we’ve been missing for years- a franchise C
Also, 77 and 78 points back to back for a kid who’s only 21 IS a franchise C. Put him with better linemates and on a better team and he pots well above PPG. He has no support on his team and Buffalo has the lowest GF totals this year I’m pretty sure? Also have the 20th ranked PP

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
ROR is the complete wrong fit I hope they arent entertaining that idea
I just meant that if anyone were to get traded on Buffalo, it’s ROR. Not Eichel.
But yeah I’d be very against trading for ROR because we already have 3 similar guys to him (Lias, Howden, Hayes) I doubt we’d go after ROR though

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
ROR is a guy I’d take in a heartbeat. He’s an excellent overall center and his age is a perfect fit. Nice compliment to Zibanejad as well as a 1-2 punch.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That’s pretty dumb to say (no offense)
Last year, Eichel had 57 in 61. Paced for 77 points
This year he had 64 in 67. Paced for 78 points
Look at the team he’s on and who he plays with, this kids a future 90+ point guy and is what we’ve been missing for years- a franchise C
Also, 77 and 78 points back to back for a kid who’s only 21 IS a franchise C. Put him with better linemates and on a better team and he pots well above PPG. He has no support on his team and Buffalo has the lowest GF totals this year I’m pretty sure? Also have the 20th ranked PP
Ugh. I knew someone would make the MacKinnon argument against Eichel. Context, people!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg