Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm sure you're right, but with names like Karlsson and Tavares out there it is really easy to imagine the FO making a real effort to add one of them. They really have no reason not to spend to the cap.

That's like saying, I have $100 in my pocket...there's no reason not to spend it.

There's plenty of reason to not use that cap space. If we are signing someone like Tavares (we aren't), we'd be committing that cap space to him for 7 years, most of which he will spend on the wrong side of 30. Why sign a guy whose best years will come when the team isn't ready to compete? Adding Tavares or Karlsson won't magically make us cup contenders any more than those players have made the Islanders or Senators cup contenders.

I'm sure we will use the cap space, but we will use it on short term contracts. 1 or 2 years. That way, if a good opportunity comes along that is a better fit for this team, we will have the cap flexibility to make it work. We have several bad contracts. We have Girardi's buyout. We can't afford to spend 10+ mil a year for 7 years on any player. Not right now.

Reactions: bernmeister

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I don't see how Dallas lets Seguin go but in any way, shape, or form if he becomes a UFA next summer at the ripe old age of 27, he's the one to absolutely break the bank on.

Kyper was discussing Seguin last week on their radio show. He said Seguin's camp wants more than Jamie Benn's $9.5M. Texas is a no state income tax state like Florida. That $9.5M in Texas is worth $11M elsewhere. Stamkos accepted $8.5M from TB because that's all they could afford to keep the rest of their team together. Dallas would have at least $20M committed to Benn and Seguin. The Hawks have $21M committed to Kane and Toews which has hurt their ability to put good players around them. Jim Hill did a piss poor job at the deadline. I hope his team misses the playoffs for a 2nd straight year. He didn't acquire another forward. He should have been in on Zuccarello and/or Nash. His free agent signing of Hanzal has been a huge bust. No surprise the guy can't stay healthy. Bishop is hurt again. Methot is hurt again. Radulov has been a good player for them. They have no quality forwards outside their 3 big. Spezza is washed up. Dallas has no choice. They have to give Seguin $10M plus with no state income tax.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Its so effin typical NHL GM's to start to call about Zucc last minute so that they run out of time and can't get something done in time. Ron Francis was a GM for 4 years, basically didn't do crap. Anything I think had any significance was the Teuvu Terevainen trade and then a bunch of depth moves more or less, selling of Staal.

The big problem is that there is zero pressure on GMs in this league. Everyone know that you can't take any shortcuts -- but since ownership isn't in position to question a GMs long term decision (no owner can like value how good a draft pick is etc) a GM can just lean back and say "hey I am building for the future, the only way to do it, and it looks great!" and his job will be secure for 5 years. 5 years is a really long time for someone doing a crappy job, but really, that is how long these guys are given at least. The first 2 years they can blame on the former guy. Then year 3-5 you start to see how their work pans out.

Its a great job to be GM of a NHL team. Its a bit different for ex players I recon. But imagine the guys that took the long route through different scout jobs and then minor management jobs etc up to the NHL. You do not want to lose that job. Great pay, it must be really cool to be a GM. You are bound to be popular in all kind of circles. The NHL isn't the NBA, but still. They are just tremendously risk adverse, way to much for the best of their franchises. Its tremendously hard to become really good and win a Cup -- everyone should be inclined to aim high and gamble instead of playing it tremendously safe, but so many are doing just that, playing it tremendously safe. If they want to keep their job and not lose it for 6-7 years they can just chicken out and take zero risks...

Its one thing I like with our set-up with Gorton and Slats, and Dolan. Don't think Slats would tolerate if Gorton just chickened out and didn't do anything. Gorton can make mistakes, I hate the JT Miller and McD trade for example -- but I don't mind Gorton. Think overall he is doing an OK job. At least giving us a chance to end up on top. I think its far from sure that we can expect any GM to do that. Its the exception, not the norm looking around the league.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Its so effin typical NHL GM's to start to call about Zucc last minute so that they run out of time and can't get something done in time. Ron Francis was a GM for 4 years, basically didn't do crap. Anything I think had any significance was the Teuvu Terevainen trade and then a bunch of depth moves more or less, selling of Staal.

The big problem is that there is zero pressure on GMs in this league. Everyone know that you can't take any shortcuts -- but since ownership isn't in position to question a GMs long term decision (no owner can like value how good a draft pick is etc) a GM can just lean back and say "hey I am building for the future, the only way to do it, and it looks great!" and his job will be secure for 5 years. 5 years is a really long time for someone doing a crappy job, but really, that is how long these guys are given at least. The first 2 years they can blame on the former guy. Then year 3-5 you start to see how their work pans out.

Its a great job to be GM of a NHL team. Its a bit different for ex players I recon. But imagine the guys that took the long route through different scout jobs and then minor management jobs etc up to the NHL. You do not want to lose that job. Great pay, it must be really cool to be a GM. You are bound to be popular in all kind of circles. The NHL isn't the NBA, but still. They are just tremendously risk adverse, way to much for the best of their franchises. Its tremendously hard to become really good and win a Cup -- everyone should be inclined to aim high and gamble instead of playing it tremendously safe, but so many are doing just that, playing it tremendously safe. If they want to keep their job and not lose it for 6-7 years they can just chicken out and take zero risks...

Its one thing I like with our set-up with Gorton and Slats, and Dolan. Don't think Slats would tolerate if Gorton just chickened out and didn't do anything. Gorton can make mistakes, I hate the JT Miller and McD trade for example -- but I don't mind Gorton. Think overall he is doing an OK job. At least giving us a chance to end up on top. I think its far from sure that we can expect any GM to do that. Its the exception, not the norm looking around the league.
I like this post a lot. I think part of the issue is the salary cap being way too restrictive, which only gets augmented by the stupid f***ing point system we have. Parity is terrible and I wish they’d implement a 3-2-1 system.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I like this post a lot. I think part of the issue is the salary cap being way too restrictive, which only gets augmented by the stupid ****ing point system we have. Parity is terrible and I wish they’d implement a 3-2-1 system.
I have no problem with the cap writ large (maybe some of the details), but agree about the 3-2-1 points system.

Reactions: Ori

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
That's like saying, I have $100 in my pocket...there's no reason not to spend it.

There's plenty of reason to not use that cap space. If we are signing someone like Tavares (we aren't), we'd be committing that cap space to him for 7 years, most of which he will spend on the wrong side of 30. Why sign a guy whose best years will come when the team isn't ready to compete? Adding Tavares or Karlsson won't magically make us cup contenders any more than those players have made the Islanders or Senators cup contenders.

I'm sure we will use the cap space, but we will use it on short term contracts. 1 or 2 years. That way, if a good opportunity comes along that is a better fit for this team, we will have the cap flexibility to make it work. We have several bad contracts. We have Girardi's buyout. We can't afford to spend 10+ mil a year for 7 years on any player. Not right now.

You can have whatever good reasons you want but I don’t see it with this ownership. Hope you’re right, etc. but don’t see it.

Also, $100? Come on. Someone posted that this team is worth $1.5B yesterday.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You can have whatever good reasons you want but I don’t see it with this ownership. Hope you’re right, etc. but don’t see it.

Hes right.

Just because you have money to spend doesn't mean that you should spend it. Doing that usually means you'll struggle to acquire/keep someone that you really want later. The value of the franchise doesn't matter, we live in the cap world.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don't see how Dallas lets Seguin go but in any way, shape, or form if he becomes a UFA next summer at the ripe old age of 27, he's the one to absolutely break the bank on.

This is the first time in Seguins career where he could choose his team. If the Stars feel like they wont sign him, there's a solid chance he's traded this off-season.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Kyper was discussing Seguin last week on their radio show. He said Seguin's camp wants more than Jamie Benn's $9.5M. Texas is a no state income tax state like Florida. That $9.5M in Texas is worth $11M elsewhere. Stamkos accepted $8.5M from TB because that's all they could afford to keep the rest of their team together. Dallas would have at least $20M committed to Benn and Seguin. The Hawks have $21M committed to Kane and Toews which has hurt their ability to put good players around them. Jim Hill did a piss poor job at the deadline. I hope his team misses the playoffs for a 2nd straight year. He didn't acquire another forward. He should have been in on Zuccarello and/or Nash. His free agent signing of Hanzal has been a huge bust. No surprise the guy can't stay healthy. Bishop is hurt again. Methot is hurt again. Radulov has been a good player for them. They have no quality forwards outside their 3 big. Spezza is washed up. Dallas has no choice. They have to give Seguin $10M plus with no state income tax.

He's worth it. 5-6 year deal. Top 5 center in the league.. A 40 goal center.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

That was me. It's not about the actual money, it's about the cap space. The Rangers can have all the money in the world, but they are still limited to the same amount of cap space as everyone else. We can't be spending that cap space on the wrong players, or even on the right players, but at the wrong time. Tavares is a great player and probably will be for another 5 years, but now isn't the time to be investing in a player like that. The team isn't good enough and has too many cap issues. We'd be wasting his best years. Other players will be available in the future. We need to be patient and wait for both the right players and the right time.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Hajek's seasons should be coming to an end soon.

edit- never mind, I thought they were out of the playoffs

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Dallas was smart to sign Radulov. Nill's biggest mistake is putting too much trust in Hanzal. Guy can't stay healthy. Rangers should break the bank if they can get Seguin. He'll only be 27. A seven year deal fine. During that time all of Staal/Shattenkirk/Smith come off the books, and Girardi's buyout is bad for two years but after very manageable. They'd instantly become contenders. An example if the Richards signing. Rangers went from being unwatchable in 2009-10, to a very likable hardworking team lacking skill in 2010-11, to an ECF team in 2011-12. Similar trajectory of Seguin were available but he'd have a much better supporting cast than Richards did.

As for callups...did Sproul count as one or is that an injury replacement?

100% Chytil/Anderson are up. Would they give Nieves another crack or they've decided to move on from him? Would love to give Crawley a look as well.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
At the NHL GM meetings in Florida, Jeff Gorton spoke with EJ Hradek of the NHL Network about some of the discussions the group was having as well as the current state of the Rangers:
  • Consensus on goalie interference is hard to come by and that each play is different and things rarely happen the same way twice.
  • On how he feels about things after the deadline, "pretty good. We made some real big decisions that impacted a lot of players we have had here for a long time that had success with the Rangers. Difficult moves to make bu really encouraged by the players we were able to get and the picks we have and the future that we can hopefully set moving forward."
  • On the plan moving forward, "right now you look at our team and a lot of young players we are able to audition and see how they are doing, a young goalie, some young defense and hopefully we get to see our two first round picks later in the season to see how they are doing. That is our goal right now, see how our young players are doing and add young pieces."
  • Has anyone surprised you, "Georgiev has been a nice story. Undrafted, came to our development camp and to see what he has been doing in the NHL has been a nice surprise."

Some of what Jeff Gorton said at the GM Meetings

Someone took video off their TV

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
And he’ll have plenty of suitors for the seven year deal. The Rangers are not getting him on a shorter. (And, I don’t think they’ll even enter the sweepstakes.)

Edit: I thought the discussion was about Tavares.

Yeah I don't see them getting in on Tavares either, nor do I see Tavares choosing the Rangers even if they did.

Seguin I can see them kicking the tires on, assuming that he even makes it to UFA, depends on where they're at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad