Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gorton has gathered D prospects. We have some depth on D. But I’ve said it before, offense wins championships. No more passing on someone like Mittlestad. Go all out for offense, offense and some more offense. When you score a ton in the NHL, let’s take it from there and try to solidify things. But until then we must focus on offense.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Gorton has gathered D prospects. We have some depth on D. But I’ve said it before, offense wins championships. No more passing on someone like Mittlestad. Go all out for offense, offense and some more offense. When you score a ton in the NHL, let’s take it from there and try to solidify things. But until then we must focus on offense.

We've had a top 5 offence in GF for the last 4 years and have accomplished nothing. This team was a contender when they were amongst the best in GA.

Defence wins championships. But you do need the superstars.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
the Oilers. then the Oilers again. Perhaps for a third time, the Oilers. Then they build a time machine so they can refuse it for the first time all over again.
One small problem here...

boston-bruins-peter-chiarelli-41015.jpg

effen

Feb 3, 2018
why bother with things like hockey trades? If he's that dumb you can convince him to give you all the money in his checking account and then give you a handie afterward. Right? If he's that dumb.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
nyr 2018 7th round pick for ryan (100%), ottawa's 2018/19 1st (whichever one colorado doesn't get) and 2020 1st (not protected)....get er done lol

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Ottawa isn't trading Ryan

There's a salary floor they have to reach and who the hell wants to sign there. What's with everyones fetish in paying $30M for a draft pick? So weird.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
It's weird that we want the team to spend money to get ahead?

Is this Fred Wilpon's HF account?
Yes, it's weird.
If you're gonna eat a complete anchor of a contract for 4 years you might as well get an actual proven player for your trouble instead of a lottery ticket.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We've had a top 5 offence in GF for the last 4 years and have accomplished nothing. This team was a contender when they were amongst the best in GA.

Defence wins championships. But you do need the superstars.

You can make these kind of arguments all day, like there are a ton of superstars that haven’t come close to winning a championship, like Tavares. Does that mean that super stars do NOT win championships?

Look you of course need a very good defense, but I still think that it is very obvious that offense wins championships. That has been the big difference between the have and have nots. I am not saying that you are guaranteed to win a cup just because you are top 10 in GF one season, but the average year offense will be a big factor in the Stanley Cup POs.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Pulju is officially entering his natural lifecycle as an Oilers prospect who gets disgruntled and traded for 10 cents on the dollar because Chia gonna Chia

Yeah but you forget that EDM is going to say. “His value is at an all time low now, so we will hang on to and destroy him a little more”.

How does this cycle go?

Draft high

Rush to NA

Provide worthless support

Rush back and forth NHL/AHL (ie an AHL eligible player gets called up despite not being ready)

Decide to keep pushing forward a situation that is really not good because the value is at an all time low

Make a trade for 10 cents on the dollar when the kid is destroyed/or in some cases maybe not completely

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
How do we suck next year? Should we go for the absolute top picks? I wonder what Gorts would get if he put Ziba and Kreiders names out there.

A let’s really tank next year scenario:

2018:
Kreider, Zibanejad, Skjei and Tampa’s 1st for Mittlestad, Nylander and Buff’s 1st unprotected (they are 30th overall currently)

Zucc, Vesey and TDA for Puljujärvi

Trade Spooner at the draft with Boston’s 1st to move up.

Draft Svenchnikov with Buffalos 1st and Tkachuk with our 1st.

18’ team:
Mittlestad-Hayes-Svechnikov
Tkachuk-Chytil-Buch
Names-Alex Nyls-Puljujärvi
Howden-Lias-Fast
Staal-Pionk
Gilmour-Shatty
Hajak-UDFA
Hank

We would surely get top 5 odds in the 19’ draft. A boatload or cap space that summer and a really young and exciting team. Maybe that is something Gorton should try? Really trade “everyone”?

Haha I have to say, that team would be fun to watch. A trade like that with Buffalo of course almost never happen, but if they wherent loving anyone in that top range extremely much I don’t think the value is horrible.

I know it seems like a bunch of random names in a lineup — but I really love some of the chemistry on those lines. :)

It make me uneasy to see Marc Staal in the next year lineup. Am I the only one who want to consider a buy out?
I`ve notion that Jeff Gorton don`t have that many years in the GM position, and I`m not convinced how successful it will going be though with the similar core of young players.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
We have enough of our own terrible contracts in Staal and Smith that I would prefer not to add Bobby Ryan.

They are not moving a top 10 1st to do it. 20-30 maybe, not top ten.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
A lot depends on what other trades we make. If we trade Zucc, Spooner and/or Namestnikov (I don't think we'll trade Hayes, Skjei, Kreider, Zib or Vesey), we are going to have quite a bit more cap space to work with, but at the same time, I don't think we are going to turn around and spend that money on free agents. I'm sure we will sign some free agents, but I don't think any of those deal will be longer than 2 years, so we aren't likely to go after any big names.

Having cap space is a good thing. It gives us options. We shouldn't be looking to spend that money just because we have it. Wait for the right opportunity.

I'm sure you're right, but with names like Karlsson and Tavares out there it is really easy to imagine the FO making a real effort to add one of them. They really have no reason not to spend to the cap.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It make me uneasy to see Marc Staal in the next year lineup. Am I the only one who want to consider a buy out?
I`ve notion that Jeff Gorton don`t have that many years in the GM position, and I`m not convinced how successful it will going be though with the similar core of young players.

I think many agree with you re Staal, but when you buy someone out you burrow capspace from the future to use it now. From that perspective it doesn’t make much sense to do that next year.

Reactions: Ori

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm sure you're right, but with names like Karlsson and Tavares out there it is really easy to imagine the FO making a real effort to add one of them. They really have no reason not to spend to the cap.

From my POV the main focus should be put on how we can become really good offensively for the coming 10 years. Top draft picks? Trades? UFA signings?

In this context I don’t have much faith in signing a UFA like Tavares. He will age, speed has always been so-so, he would cost fantastically much of course, and there is no reason to expect like Tavares to be better at 33-34 than Jason Spezza was at that age. Tavares is born in 1990, it’s 2-3 more peak years and then 2-3 years of decline. And while Tavares is very good offensively — he isn’t a player that can’t be shut down.

But I do think that Erik Karlsson is a bit different. There are no guarantees, but age won’t slow him down physically before 35 — that is a given. Sure he takes a lot of punishment since he is such a big target and a one man team, there are no guarantees. But he just strikes me as the type who I think is very likely to be up there in D scoring when he is like 35. He should have 8-9 more years easily of top production.

And he is definitely — basically only matched by Kane — the type who you cannot even remotely shut down. You can’t just put a guy on him, you can’t just play his unit thight. He can beat his man in so many ways, mostly based on smarts and timing — and he operates so much on the outside just like Kane when there always will be ice open when you pressure just a little bit.

I see this rebuilds huge challenge as being building a really electric high octane offense that can survive for a decade.

Karlsson is friends with Hank. He must be sick of the attention in Ottawa, being anonymous in NY should be an attractive option. When Karlsson hit the UFA market in 19’ (?) he shouldn’t be hart candidate Karlsson, more like top D Karlsson. Look it’s definitely wishful thinking and so much of a long shot — but I think he would be a great option and I think many things talk in our favor.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We have enough of our own terrible contracts in Staal and Smith that I would prefer not to add Bobby Ryan.

Definitely a fantasy scenario that has caught on around here and is being latched onto.

Not going to happen.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Ottawa isn't going to offer anything with Ryan to make him work taking. Especially if you want Ottawa to retain as well. I agree that This offer needs to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad