Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We might have the deepest and most promising group of centers 25 and under in the NHL.

How long ago were we dead last in that category? Maybe a calendar year?

That's what I mean but how fast things change in today's game, and it's why I'm always leery of completely mortgaging seasons.

Reactions: Hire Sather

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kreider Chytil Zibanejad
Kovy Names Buchnevich
Spoon Hayes MZA
Vesey Andersson Fast

I feel that's pretty strong forward group. Making a major assumption that Chytil could perform at 1c.

Hopefully with a different system our defense with Hank can tighten up.

If not, we could easily start Chytil at wing.

Reactions: belford222

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We might have the deepest and most promising group of centers 25 and under in the NHL.

That's what I mean but how fast things change in today's game, and it's why I'm always leery of completely mortgaging seasons.

Your first sentence doesn't happen unless the Rangers do the bolded.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm hesitant to assume that both Chytil and Andersson spend the entire season in the NHL, I think both very well could spend some additional time in the AHL.

I'm also hesitant to assume that Chytil is automatically inserted into a top six role, with Andersson being deployed as a fourth liner.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Your first sentence doesn't happen unless the Rangers do the bolded.
So we threw away this one. Fine. AV was keeping us out of the playoffs anyway even with a full roster.

I wouldn't go into 2018-19 planning to tank. We could have a loaded group of forwards if Chytil and Andersson are NHL players next year.

Plus, honestly, what's left to sell besides Zuccarello? I'm willing to part ways with him but the offer has to be good.

Reactions: Hire Sather

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Namestnikov is two years away from group II. Hayes and Spooner are one year away. All of them are arbitration eligible this summer as are Vesey and Skjei. The Rangers will get a 2nd buyout period this summer.

Gorton said the Rangers are not bringing Shattenkirk back unless he is 100%. The season ends in three weeks from this weekend. Shattenkirk made some comments over the weekend about not being close to playing. Why bother rushing him back into the lineup? The season is pretty much over expect for tanking.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Took about 9 months haha

But you're 100% correct in what you're saying

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Anyone that thinks we're bringing Andersson here to play 10-12 minutes a game on the 4th line is out to lunch

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Is anyone else absolutely loving Namestnikov? He plays with a swagger and he has a great feel for the game at both ends of the rink. On top of that he plays a nice physical game as well. He reminds me a bit of what Andersson brings with his quietly physical game. I'd give him a long-term deal to be part of this team for a while especially given his versatility.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Stephen Johns isn't untouchable, but he isn't that great

No real desire to acquire him.

He would be a good 6th D PK option.

I think the value of these crease clears will make a big come back in the coming years. The difference is that 10 years ago teams had 4-5 of these guys, now you want one. But I wouldn’t underrate the value of that one going forward

There is a heck of a difference between driving to the net against someone 5’11 that is skill oriented and against someone that is 6’4 and hard nosed. Even if it’s a 4 line game and the more you can go forward the better — there will always be shifts during a hockey game where you have to dig down.

The hard part is that you must find someone that can skate and keep up. Johns is a very OK skater for someone 6’4, you can also tell that he is coming from the NCAA, he is passing the puck pretty well too.

Reactions: Holden the Stick

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I think he gets a lot of flack because fans have yet to see him healthy for a full schedule, and because there are moments you can see a skill level that indicates he has the talent to score 30 goals and 65-70 points.
30 goals I could see in a healthy season. I don't think he's a good enough passer to reach 40 assists.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Is anyone else absolutely loving Namestnikov? He plays with a swagger and he has a great feel for the game at both ends of the rink. On top of that he plays a nice physical game as well. He reminds me a bit of what Andersson brings with his quietly physical game. I'd give him a long-term deal to be part of this team for a while especially given his versatility.
I would love to keep him moving forward. He does more during the course of the game than JT Miller did. He is way more reliable. And a lot less of a damn moron with the puck, especially in his own end. He has been a breath of fresh air compared to JT Miller. Players like Nam help you win games, especially with the late shifts in games. Add in a guy like Andersson in the next year or so and you are building a character group with talent mixed in. That is the combination we need badly. The character and limited version of talent we had with the prior core had started to fade; could have been due to the coach or just getting older or both.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Other way around. Yzerman asked for Miller first.
Source? Can't find it right now but I'm 99% sure I saw something about them having a deal in place for McDonagh, and then Gorton throwing Miller into it too.

From a couple mins of searching I found this, which suggests they were not looking to re-sign Miller.

Q: How did it come about that you had to include Miller?
A: Number of discussions with Stevie y, had decisions to make with JT. We were comfortble with what we were getting back.

"Namestnikov is a player that we have liked for a while. It hit on a lot of things that we wanted to do as we move forward is probably the best answer."

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He would be a good 6th D PK option.

I think the value of these crease clears will make a big come back in the coming years. The difference is that 10 years ago teams had 4-5 of these guys, now you want one. But I wouldn’t underrate the value of that one going forward

There is a heck of a difference between driving to the net against someone 5’11 that is skill oriented and against someone that is 6’4 and hard nosed. Even if it’s a 4 line game and the more you can go forward the better — there will always be shifts during a hockey game where you have to dig down.

The hard part is that you must find someone that can skate and keep up. Johns is a very OK skater for someone 6’4, you can also tell that he is coming from the NCAA, he is passing the puck pretty well too.
Sure he’d be a nice add but you just said you’d do Zucc for him STRAIGHT UP Trading Zucc for a bottom pairing dman would be beyond awful. I think you think Johns is a bit better than he actually is, our defensive system/newer NHL doesn’t support dmen like him anymore, he’d be a slightly better O Gara

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Jimmy Vesey might have potential locked sniper talent - he had some beautiful shots in our deserved 6-3 victory last night. I`m interested to sign him for couple of years to see if he can improve his finishing skills, and he enjoy to finish plays usually even though he can be a bit clumsy or slow when to take a shot like on pp, but it`s about player experience too. And NHL players are Zucc, Kevin, and Kreider AV said in an interview earlier. And that`s why I think Gorton wait to move Zucc since they did not manage to move him at this trade deadline with best return - especially if they have plans to compete as early as next season.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Vesey has looked better lately. He has kept his game much simpler and he has found his way to around the net more often. if he can do that consistently he will reach 20 goals. He has good hands and a good feel for where he needs to be around the net. It's elsewhere on the ice that he gets into a bit of trouble. That's part of the learning curve for a young player though.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Why can't we roll 4 lines? And have him play special teams.. 14-16min
Hardly ever does someone play 14+ minutes centering the 4th line. It just doesn't happen. It is hard to manage, harder to keep consistent, and definitely confuses progression.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hardly ever does someone play 14+ minutes centering the 4th line. It just doesn't happen. It is hard to manage, harder to keep consistent, and definitely confuses progression.

Boyle and Moore each averaged between 12-14 minutes as the NYR 4th line center, if my memory serves me right.

11 ESM + 2PK minutes per game is pretty average.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I'm hesitant to assume that both Chytil and Andersson spend the entire season in the NHL, I think both very well could spend some additional time in the AHL.

I'm also hesitant to assume that Chytil is automatically inserted into a top six role, with Andersson being deployed as a fourth liner.

I would keep Chytil in the AHL another year, personally. Unless he truly forces us to play him in training camp.

Andersson, I expect to make the team, but I would really like to keep him in Hartford as well. No reasons to rush these kids, let them develop their offense.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
That’s all fine and well from Dallas POV, but how about seguin’s.

Yeah it’s a great situation for Dallas. Seguin can get the same money from his team of choose.

I know you have been big on Dallas being happy with seguin. Yeah I’m sure they are. That doesn’t mean seguin is gonna resign for the rest of his career in Dallas.

It's all about both parties involved. Seguin has his Cup. He is a top 10 player in the league. Dallas has generally been a pretty good to very good organization since they moved (big market). I don't know his personality but he does't strike me as a Messier type-A needs a new dragon to slay.Good city to live in, warm weather, some of the most beautiful women in the country. If the money is right (over $11 million) why go anywhere else other than just to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad