Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think Vesey would perform better this season with limited minutes in a lesser role like a 3rd line with much less pressure to perform so he could develop at his own pace. But we all know we lack depth while we wait on our new signings in Howden, Libor, Lias & Chytil so it`s not easy for a young players to perform in a top 6 role and with all the injuries we have had this season, and all the line changes make me dizzy.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's all about both parties involved. Seguin has his Cup. He is a top 10 player in the league. Dallas has generally been a pretty good to very good organization since they moved (big market). I don't know his personality but he does't strike me as a Messier type-A needs a new dragon to slay.Good city to live in, warm weather, some of the most beautiful women in the country. If the money is right (over $11 million) why go anywhere else other than just to do it?

Depends on what you want. Don't know about you guys, but just because I've done something once doesn't mean I never want to do it again. Usually the opposite, in fact.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Is anyone else absolutely loving Namestnikov? He plays with a swagger and he has a great feel for the game at both ends of the rink. On top of that he plays a nice physical game as well. He reminds me a bit of what Andersson brings with his quietly physical game. I'd give him a long-term deal to be part of this team for a while especially given his versatility.

I like him, I don't love him. I think he's a very solid two way player. I love his skating. His physical game was somewhat surprising.

Im very curious as to where you see him? If long term as you mention do you see him as a top 6 forward? As much as I like him, I'm not so sure if he can be that?

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Nam has top 6 potential indeed - he is not playing with the Stamkos line without proper skillset and hockey IQ, and he is a highly skilled player. We just need to tweak our lines when Chytil and Lias is called up to see what kind of chemistry we can get out of our current roster.

Reactions: belford222

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Source? Can't find it right now but I'm 99% sure I saw something about them having a deal in place for McDonagh, and then Gorton throwing Miller into it too.

From a couple mins of searching I found this, which suggests they were not looking to re-sign Miller.

Q: How did it come about that you had to include Miller?
A: Number of discussions with Stevie y, had decisions to make with JT. We were comfortble with what we were getting back.

"Namestnikov is a player that we have liked for a while. It hit on a lot of things that we wanted to do as we move forward is probably the best answer."

Can’t look for solid sources right now, but I definitely saw tweets about it. I think from Lightning guys.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We have 3-4 games until we see Andersson get some time towards the end here. 5-6 games until Chytil gets his second look. Can't wait for then. Cannot wait to bench Holland/McLeod/Desharnais/Carey. Put em in the trash can.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
@RGY They are our lottery line - which means they help the team long term with better draft positions.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
@RGY They are our lottery line - which means they help the team long term with better draft positions.
The Rangers are not falling into the bottom 5 in the standings in these last 12 games. They have enough talent to win games where they just won't fall enough to increase their percentage in the lottery.

Therefore, I would much rather watch more competent players than that beer league line we roll out on the ice and swings momentum by getting pinned in their own end all the time.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
There are some here who still have hope for a top #5 draft position, but we are in for a lottery so we have a small % chance. :)

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
There are some here who still have hope for a top #5 draft position, but we are in for a lottery so we have a small % chance. :)
The only teams that may pass us are Chicago and Edmonton. That would put us in the #6 draft position going into the lottery. It could happen to get there even with us winning games. I see us ending up at #7 with only Chicago passing us. However, we could also pass the Islanders and even Hurricanes.

I also don't think putting Andersson and Chytil in the lineup would affect us in either direction.

Reactions: Ori

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The only teams that may pass us are Chicago and Edmonton. That would put us in the #6 draft position going into the lottery. It could happen to get there even with us winning games. I see us ending up at #7 with only Chicago passing us. However, we could also pass the Islanders and even Hurricanes.

I also don't think putting Andersson and Chytil in the lineup would affect us in either direction.

Just remember that the odds provide a significant chance of dropping a spot. So if you finish 9, you could be 10, if you're 10, you could be 11.

That wasn't quite as big of a deal when we were talking about finishing 6th, but dropping from 10 to 11, or 11 to 12 could be very significant with the way the top half of this draft is looking.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I like him, I don't love him. I think he's a very solid two way player. I love his skating. His physical game was somewhat surprising.

Im very curious as to where you see him? If long term as you mention do you see him as a top 6 forward? As much as I like him, I'm not so sure if he can be that?
He was a top 6 with Tampa. He’s strikes me as very very smart player, plays 200 ft, all F spots, may need the right cast but young enough to be part of the solution going forward. I prefer him to Spooner overall

Reactions: EdJovanovski

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
One of Andersson or Chytil will be playing next year. I have funny feeling it will be the former.
So if we keep Names, Hayes, Zibby that leaves us with 4 centers start of next season. I would rather see Lias and Chytil start their nhl careers at center. Two things...will Lias be ok at 4th line center to start his career? Also would imagine if not one of our top 3 centers gets traded? Should be very interesting offseason and draft day

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
If Mc. David gave up on the Oiler Franchise who should we move to secure him? That Oilers have less points than us on players they have on paper is just hilarious..

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He was a top 6 with Tampa. He’s strikes me as very very smart player, plays 200 ft, all F spots, may need the right cast but young enough to be part of the solution going forward. I prefer him to Spooner overall
Yea and I hate when people claim he was merely a product of his linemates, there was a reason he was playing on that line

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Source? Can't find it right now but I'm 99% sure I saw something about them having a deal in place for McDonagh, and then Gorton throwing Miller into it too.

From a couple mins of searching I found this, which suggests they were not looking to re-sign Miller.

Q: How did it come about that you had to include Miller?
A: Number of discussions with Stevie y, had decisions to make with JT. We were comfortble with what we were getting back.

"Namestnikov is a player that we have liked for a while. It hit on a lot of things that we wanted to do as we move forward is probably the best answer."

I think you're both partially correct.

Yzerman had asked in the past about Miller, and had him on his radar for a while.

With this particular trade, it was Gorton who brought up Miller to Yzerman as the deal took shape.

My guess is that both GMs saw something they liked in the players they received, prior to the trade.

As for who asked for whom, it probably depends on how you want to view it. Yzerman with the initial inquiry (or inquiries), Gorton remembering it and initializing in this particular conversation.

Either way, I think both teams focused on a player they had on their radar for a while.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
There were earlier posts about forecasting the 2018 lineup, true its impossible at this point but still fun especially with the make over. Going into draft I think the following will be true:
- they’ll listen on anybody and will pull the trigger if blown away (Kreider)
- actively seeking to move Zuc at good value or just hold him if market stinks
- will sign and keep key RFAs unless blown away
- look for a decision or to move either Staal or Smith. The preference is that one can stay imo
- look to move up packaging later picks for higher ceiling, NHL ready 1-2 years picks
- start working on timetable for Russian guys to come over

The above should give management the information they need to understand the velocity of the rebuild and execute accordingly. Can’t wait till draft.

Reactions: Off Sides

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I think you're both partially correct.

Yzerman had asked in the past about Miller, and had him on his radar for a while.

With this particular trade, it was Gorton who brought up Miller to Yzerman as the deal took shape.

My guess is that both GMs saw something they liked in the players they received, prior to the trade.

As for who asked for whom, it probably depends on how you want to view it. Yzerman with the initial inquiry (or inquiries), Gorton remembering it and initializing in this particular conversation.

Either way, I think both teams focused on a player they had on their radar for a while.
Does anyone have any info about the Miller situation? Meaning, I get it, young, good, piss and vinegar and all that. But where did the swagger cross over into a change of scenery? I get the feeling that it wasn’t him vs coaches because being that coaches are out, management has taken notice as well. I want to avoid speculating about some dude but any legit insight out there?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Does anyone have any info about the Miller situation? Meaning, I get it, young, good, piss and vinegar and all that. But where did the swagger cross over into a change of scenery? I get the feeling that it wasn’t him vs coaches because being that coaches are out, management has taken notice as well. I want to avoid speculating about some dude but any legit insight out there?
Let’s just say there was an incident involving onion rings

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Only hearsay with nothing really confirmed (and no EdJovanovski's joke doesn't count).

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why can't we roll 4 lines? And have him play special teams.. 14-16min

Enough with the rolling four lines. How about just giving the best players on the team the most ice time? You make your team worse than it actually is by the four line nonsense by giving excessive minutes to guys who shouldn't get them.

The rangers this year have ONE forward in the top 93 in EVTOI/GP (Zuccarello is number 53.) 2nd most was Miller at 13.6 mins/game (num 93) and 3rd most Hayes at 13.3 mins/game (num 116) Rick Nash is number 188! That's egregious usage. Jesper Fast has got more mins/game at 5v5 this year than Rick Nash,Chris Kreider, and Pavel Buchnevich.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad