Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VIII: Autumn in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Would love to see this lineup based on what I've seen so far.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Nash - Miller - Vesey
Chytil - Hayes - Zuccarello
Grabner - Desharnais - Andersson
Puempel
(Fast)

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Skjei - DeAngelo
Smith - Pionk
Staal
Bereglazov

Lundqvist
Pavelec

I'd go with that to start the season, If the youngest still look good by then, why not give them a shot. Also like those D pairs. Smith is a better LD. Would be a little concerned with Skjei - DeAngelo as both are still trying to figure it out.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I wouldn’t want either Lias or Chytil playing fourth line here this year. If niether can make the third line, which for nyr is generally another offensive line that gets soft matchups, they should go back and develop more imo. Not worth burning a year of a deal for them to play so little and I’d be wary of the effect it’d have in their development.

Well if you count the following forwards as top 9 locks:

Kreider
Mika
Buch
Zucc
Hayes
Nash
Miller

That leaves two spots left in the top 9, and that's assuming Grabner and Vesey are on the fourth line.

So there would be your two spots for Chytil and Andersson.

Then your fourth line is a mix of Grabner/DD/Vesey/Fast.

Feels like probably only one of Chytil or Andersson makes the club this year, though obviously both being ready is a nice problem to have.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
After seeing the way that both LA and Chytil play at C, I wouldn't move either of them to the wing. They both seem most comfortable at Center and i would much rather move Hayes or Miller to the wing, whichever is less comfortable at C.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm giving Chytil more than one game before I pencil him into any lineups. He was considered a long-term project prospect when drafted. Obviously he could surprise but there is much up in the air to be determined.

Andersson, Chytil, Bereglazov, DeAngelo, and Pionk should play just about every game from here on in to show management what they have. The rest of the team can rotate as necessary to get guys warmed up for the season.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
No way, you move Nash near the deadline regardless of where the team is at. Get another 1st for him, retain as much cap as needed to make sure you acquire another first. Injecting 4 first rounders, over two offseasons is a way to plug those forward prospect holes. This is a stacked draft and he's the only trade chip we have.
If there is a chance to resign him and the numbers work in the summer, you think about signing him again.

A Nash move should at least be considered.

Probably won't be cause the team is still half in the "all-in with Lundquist" camp, but even if they are top 3 in the metro they should still think about it. If someone is willing to blow you away with an offer, that is much better for the team long term.

With Shestyorkin a potential high end goalie replacement already in the pipeline, you don't have to be thinking about Lundquist's retirement as a drop-dead date for the team to compete. Also.... if not for Hank's salary cap hit, you could kinda transition to a Shestyorkin/Lundquist tandem that would extend Hank's shelf life and let you have more time with him as a pseudo backup to win a Cup.

So moving Nash for a high end prospect and a high first round pick would be super smart. They won't consider it, but I would certainly listen to offers, unless I'm getting like a top-2 seeding in the conference.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
No it's not. He's got a much better shot, skates better and showed his passing skills on the setup to Tambellini. Basically, he's a better skating Stepan with a better shot and more snarl. At worst, he's a solid 2nd line center. I'd still prefer Glass or Liljegren, but, Andersson was still a solid pick.

We all wanted Cody Glass, but Vegas took him right before us. Has anyone seen how Middlestadt has been for Buffalo?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Kreider
Mika
Buch
Zucc
Hayes
Nash
Miller

That leaves two spots left in the top 9, and that's assuming Grabner and Vesey are on the fourth line.

Feels like probably only one of Chytil or Andersson makes the club this year, though obviously both being ready is a nice problem to have.

I don’t see Vesey playing fourth line. I don’t love Grabner there either but I could live with it.

IMO there’s really only room for one of the two if there’s any room at all.

Whichever (if either) proves they can play 3C best should stick, the other should go back.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
He's not a problem, but I completely understand wanting to get something back for him if he's just gonna walk. His fate won't be determined until the trade deadline. If the Rangers are out or on the bubble, I could see him being traded. If they are firmly in playoff position, they'll probably keep him. The same thing goes for Grabner. If Nash is playing well come the deadline, we could get a 1st + for him. Lesser players have gotten as much.

No way, you move Nash near the deadline regardless of where the team is at. Get another 1st for him, retain as much cap as needed to make sure you acquire another first. Injecting 4 first rounders, over two offseasons is a way to plug those forward prospect holes. This is a stacked draft and he's the only trade chip we have.
If there is a chance to resign him and the numbers work in the summer, you think about signing him again.

Time will tell but I think you guys are overvaluing Nash here. I agree that he is worth a 1st but as a rental I don't think other GMs see it that way, and unfortunately thats what matters. Plus the 1st is likely going to be a late round 1st anyway (because its going to be a playoff team that is dealing for him) which even in a good draft still has a relatively low success rate.

Also, I am of the mind that we will be solidly in the playoffs by the time the trade deadline rolls around, and we will not want to get rid of him for futures at that point.

If we are out of it, fine. We will cross that bridge when we come to it. But I highly doubt that we will be out of it.

Sometimes its okay to let a player play out their contract.

Last edited:

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I like tomorrow's D pairs:

Skjei-ADA
Graves-Pionk
Bereglazov-Kampfer

Really want to see how Bereglazov performs.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I understand both sides. If Chytil can stick as a C this year, keep JT where we know he's effective, on the wing.

Agreed.

However JT can switch back to the wing at any time. He needs some reps to adjust to being a full time center, which up until last night seemed to be plan A.

We shouldn't torpedo the JT to center idea just because an 18yo (albeit a very impressive one) might make the team.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Take the top 12 best forwards. The line #s don't really matter. If Chytil and/or Andersson beat out DD, Puempel so be it. Make two 3rd lines, or three 2nds or whatever.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I almost feel like it would be better to have The Don Chytil elsewhere this year no matter how good a training camp he had. He's just so young. Let him have another year of physical and emotional growth. Keep him hungry about being on Broadway.

That's kind of where I'm at. Unless he plays another couple preseason games and just absolutely blows us all away, I think he's better served long-term with another year of development back home (or even the AHL, though that's apparently not an option).

I understand where you guys are coming from -- it's almost like we're worried that keeping him with the big club might somehow overwhelm him, and he might fail to take that next step. We so rarely get players (forwards!) who display such talent we want to be super cautious.

The thing is, we so rarely get players (forwards!) who display such talent. :) We're not used to them, or how to treat them. There are some players who are ready. Typically, they get drafted in the top 3, but every now and again, you get an outlier. If we lucked into the Czech Auston Matthews, and he's actually ready to make the jump, then he's best served by coming to the NHL, rather than going back to the 10th best league in the world, or whatever it is.

Chytil isn't a Pastrnak who had all the talent, but wasn't physically mature enough to play in the league the year after his draft; he's 6'2", 190+ lbs. and still growing. He looked like one of, if not the best players on the ice last night. If he continues to do so, he should stick with the club.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Vesey-Hayes-Nash
Miller-Chytil-Zuccarello
Grabner-Andersson-Fast

Drool.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Lol if we can't win a cup without Nash, then we're in really bad shape because he doesn't even show up every season. I get that Nash is a good player, but we have a bunch of good players and you can only ice 12 forwards. If there are 12 forwards who are bringing what we need, then you trade Nash, continue to make smart moves for the future. Absolutely you trade Nash.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Kreider
Mika
Buch
Zucc
Hayes
Nash
Miller

IMO, Vesey is also a lock for the top 9.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
If he's good enough, give him the 9 games. I don't care about his age..if he can help us in a top 9 role then he belongs here.

Adding Shattenkirk and managing to get solid production out of LA and/or Chytil this yr would be an absolute grand slam for this club.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Just got to watch the highlights, but I've been in Prague long enough to scoff nerdily at the pronunciation of "Chytil" as "Heedle."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad