Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VIII: Autumn in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I know it`s pre-season, but a great moment for Chytil for sure! :)

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Would love to see this lineup based on what I've seen so far.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Nash - Miller - Vesey
Chytil - Hayes - Zuccarello
Grabner - Desharnais - Andersson
Puempel
(Fast)

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Skjei - DeAngelo
Smith - Pionk
Staal
Bereglazov

Lundqvist
Pavelec

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Stretch passing is less about completing passes than it is threatening to complete passes and forcing the opposition to adjust their disposition, leaving more openings.

I'm going to have to disagree.

There's nothing wrong with stretching out an opposing defence if possible but as far as passing goes, a stretch pass has no business in this game unless there's a bad line change and on occasion the PP/PK IMO.

It's a silly high risk maneuver that's just waiting to get picked off by any fast team in the league as witnessed in the last NYR-Pens Series.

It's no bueno.

Short crisp passes with speed and support is the way baby!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would love to see this lineup based on what I've seen so far.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Nash - Miller - Vesey
Chytil - Hayes - Zuccarello
Grabner - Desharnais - Andersson
Puempel
(Fast)

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Skjei - DeAngelo
Smith - Pionk
Staal
Bereglazov

Lundqvist
Pavelec

Can't have a rookie on the fourth line.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If Desharnais works out, Gorton deserves a ton of credit for his guts and vision.

Literally nobody else is willing to give small players a chance at bottom six roles.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If Desharnais works out, Gorton deserves a ton of credit for his guts and vision.

Literally nobody else is willing to give small players a chance at bottom six roles.

I never understood the hate for DD in Montreal. On the 4th line in his current role he is basically Dom Moore-level good.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Great report everyone! :)

You have him replacing AV as coach, too, right? :naughty:

I don't for a second believe in Chytil as a playing coach. I know a of a team that had a playing coach last season, he is a pretty talented PMD but has like a body built of beer at 5'10 240 lbs (this is low level Swedish hockey). This guy played himself all the time, and everyone else was like "XXXXXX what are you doing?", but he didn't listen.

I am sure Chytil would do the same; "Hey Nash, stay on the bench next shift I am up for it!"

BTW I checked the main board and was surprised to not see any "Chytil>>>>Hirscher"-threads, when are they coming?

:D

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wasn't he seeing first line minutes there?

Yes, but is that his fault? We have had Fast in the top-6 and people were complaining about that as well. It's not the player's fault he is put into that position. Just like it isn't Drury's fault he was offered that massive contract by Sather back in the day. Can't blame a guy for signing a multi-million dollar contract and can't blame a guy for trying his best.

I always liked DD in a bottom-6 role.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I think it can work, but not with any type of linemates. And as things are shaping up now, and especially before Fast is back, I am not quite sure which linemates DD would get?

With that said -- just looking at any game, the best shifts are always the shifts where a team attack with speed and skill. Always. So why not play that style as often as possible? Sure there are arguments against that approach too, but having skill and speed on the depth line will probably be more common going forward.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I don't really understand the heaping praise for Desharnais. He looked like a bottom six guy who brings good energy. About what I was expecting.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I don't really understand the heaping praise for Desharnais. He looked like a bottom six guy who brings good energy. About what I was expecting.

I think he was better than expected by most - but few people expected not much if anything from him. Does not make him the second coming of Mario but makes the signing easier to understand. Just one game so far, Lets not jump the Gun or anything but i was pleasently surprised in a very small sample size.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

He was effective last night, and looks like he could be a positive addition. It looks like a smart signing. Roll out a 4th line of Grabner/DD/Fast, and you have the makings of an elite 4th line that you can deploy on a regular basis and probaly don't have to shelter.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I thought DD looked good, a 4th liner that can skate and has hands, can move up the lineup if we're struck with injuries.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gorton told Brooks the Rangers are sending Chytil to the Czech Republic IF the Rangers don't keep him around at the start of the season. He looked really good. Most of the times you don't notice the 18 year old prospect. There's this Bruins blogger who used to scout for the Redline Report. He believes teams will be kicking themselves for not taking Chytil before #21. Kirk Luedeke. He compared the selection to the Bruins selection of Krejci and Pasternak in his New England Journal Hockey draft preview. The latter was #25 in 2014. His play in camp forced the Bruins to keep him in 14-15. I have the screenshot on my MacBook at home. How do I post it later tonight? Zibanejad,Chytil and Andersson. The Rangers can be really strong down the middle for a long time in a year or two. That's how to build a team for long term success. Gorton said last week trying to acquire centers and D is very difficult. He added three young centers in two summers. Hopefully at least one of the young D can establish himself as a legit NHL D. Pionk and ADA. Skate,shoot and move the puck. The Rangers have tried to acquire Barrie(13-14),Honka(summer of 2015) and Vatanen(13-14). Pionk and ADA fit that mold.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If it's a screenshot (like a jpg/ping/etc.), then upload it to an image hosting website like incur and then use the resulting link enclosed in
brackets

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If Chytil makes third line, then Nash should get moved

Why? On a team that has cup aspirations, why the hell would you trade Nash? Because he has an expiring contract and we are so bereft of young talent that the 2nd round pick is going to make a huge difference in a few years? Please.

You keep Nash. You keep Nash. You keep Nash.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Will Lakatos get to play in the preseason? He seems intriguing.

Nah, he's like five games into his Euro team's season. He's over there for the year. Same for guys like Sjalin, Reunanen and (ugh) Bernhardt. And Shestyorkin, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad